Sign in to follow this  
BadAss -Mapfact.net-

Mapfact.net releases a rucksack addon

Great stuff! You MAPFACT guys seems to be on the roll smile_o.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

After short testing.

I would like to see:

1) more then two slot equipment as a one slot in backpack. Now you can take only 8 mags of 5,56 in your backpack. And 10 in your vest & weapon. What means that it is very little back pack wink_o.gif For me this is the most important thing. After hard firefight your squad gather, sergeant organize a ammo distribution... and there is still not enough ammo sad_o.gif

2) For fun. Fire place could be off i guess after placing.

3) I cannot pack tent or fighting position. In single player. I did not test it in MP yet.

4) Very usefull would be a 'packing option'. I mean an option to pack mags into backpack. Sometimes you can take out too much, so you should have possibility to pack it.

Well, still it is really great addon. I hope you will impove it in future.

Awesome work you've done, Mapfact team! I love this addon!

Is there a possibility of more radio types being added later on? Maybe Laser, RHS, and other mods would let you use their models if needed?

i'd like to see the sjb weapon pack included in the next version, and also mentioned above i think that there needs to be the function of re-packing mags ect incase of taking out too many or taking spares from a dead soldier. Also dunno if i'm right in thinking this but the rucksacks seem to only hold four mags, this is a very limited number and could easily be carried on the person let alone in a rucksack, perhaps increase the mags able to carry to say 8 or 10. This could be done by doubling the amount of times a mag can be fired, to twice. thus allowing for eight mags to be dropped from the rucksack?

How about also leaving the rucksack open? enabling anyone to put any magazines they like in without them having to be included in the magazine classes? or making a set of rucksacks that do this alongside the ones you have made? rather like the rucksacks already out there.

I'd also like to see british camo.

Hi Shinbusan, thanks for your review. Yeah, you're right. To just get 2 5.56 mags out of one backpack slot is not enough. I rather wanted it to be three mags. But due to whatever  circumstances I copied and pasted only 2 mags for all JAM mag types. When I realized I was so fed up that I decided to rather cut the dozen standard mags shorter instead of changing about 400 JAM mags. I try to fix this in a later update.  

But then again the backpack wasn't meant to get rid of all ammo shortages for that is quite a thrilling element in OFP as well. It's rather meant to give you more possibilities to let you decide.  With only four slots (maybe only three when you have a handgun) you have to choose: extra 5.56 mags, nades, LAWs, smoke shells, bandages, radio batteries... you name it. I'm convinced this serves team play very well, when you carry extra ammo for your mates, e.g. the LAW gunner can't take a backpack the same time but might need some more rockets ...

You only can pack the tent or position with two free slots in your backpack.

Fire on or off? Yeah could be other way round, doesn't really matter I guess? But don't light too many fires. In on of our tests on desert island Mr-Murray did light about 100 fires. Boy, that was lag! On desert island! rofl.gif

A packing option? Let me guess about the next step: taking weapons off the backpack and pack it later on. Phew, not that easy. I'll give a more serious thought but I can't promise anything. Would be nice, anyway, indeed.

@ AgentFox2 and KeyCat: I'm very glad you like that little one! biggrin_o.gif

More radio types? Lets see, what we can do. Maybe there's a way.

Quote[/b] ]But due to whatever circumstances I copied and pasted only 2 mags for all JAM mag types. When I realized I was so fed up that I decided to rather cut the dozen standard mags shorter instead of changing about 400 JAM mags. I try to fix this in a later update.

this could be done pretty quick with regular expressions i guess. point me to the files and areas which need to be updated and i will check it out. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] packing option? Let me guess about the next step: taking weapons off the backpack and pack it later on. Phew, not that easy.

Check the latest Wargames version to see how its done. smile_o.gif

check your pm too plz biggrin_o.gif

good work. thanks for supplying the general public with it thumbs-up.gif

@BadAss [Mapfact.net] thx for replying smile_o.gif

I have another idea but im not sure if its doable, but what about a backpack with parachute? Sort of like the danish ofp clans steerable parachute would rock the socks thumbs-up.gif

would be nice to do some "base jumping" with, like climbing up on a tall tall steep mountain or building and then running off the cliff , mountain , roof whatever and then click in action menu deploy parachute or something biggrin_o.gif

Also came up with another idea of a coc_diver suit thingy.

Say you need to have the coc dive suit equipment in a mission, but you don't want to run around with it on land so you have it in a backpack and take it out when its needed..

And also here is another ideas for backpack equipment, what about being able to have a zodiac in one backack that can be unpacked and you can hear the "air blow sound" when you pump in air in the zodiac and then after say 30 sec. it would stand there next to you smile_o.gif that would save the day really to be able to get a fast transport setup and move from one island to another.. extra but not necessary things on the zodiac could be to have a small m249 mg or something in a gunner position biggrin_o.gif zodiac wouldn't be so big either, maybe only for 4 peoples in the boat or something.

could make for some dynamic action in missions when some guys are looking for some soldiers that they are chasing and suddenly the guys are seen at the river moving away saying suckers! pistols.gif

ok, I think we could silently say that there are lots of ideas that could be realized wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I would also be very happy if we could get as much of them in the next version of the backpack. Will only take some time wink_o.gif

But thanks a lot to all of you for the feedback.

ok, I think we could silently say that there are lots of ideas that could be realized wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

lol rofl.gif

i suppose (! ) that if someone wants some strange addon's weapons added to the rucksack he should contact BadAss via PM and BadAss explains him how to include it, that would help a lot (as we don't have to make all the copy-and-paste work biggrin_o.gif ).

PS Why is ! + ) a smiley: !wink_o.gif ?!

Some 9 members of US Army Ranger squad in OFP

Squad leader

M4 M203

2 handgrenades

2 marker grenades

6 M4 mags

Backpack

1 marker pack (this would be nice in near future smile_o.gif , about 4 marker grenades)

1 m4 mag pack (2-3 mags)

1 position set

[but in my missions he would rather have radio for using other assets]

Bottom roles twice for each team

Team leader

M4

2 handgrenades

2 smoke grenades

6 M4 mags

Backpack

1 SAW mag pack (1 mag)

1 M4 mags pack (2-3 mags)

1 position set / 2 M4 mags packs (4-6 mags)

Automatic Rifleman

SAW

4 SAW mags

1 handgrenade

1 smoke

(no position set)

GL

M4 M203

6 M4 mags

1 vest with grenades

Backpack

1 vest pack (1 vest)

1 M4 mags pack (2-3 mags)

1 position set / 2 M4 mags packs (4-6 mags)

AT

M4

7 M4 mags

1 handgrandes

1 AT rocket

AT4

============

So what we got here

10 handgrandes

2 (+4) marker grenades

6 smoke grendes

34 M4 mags in vests / weapons

5 M4 mag packs (10-15 mags in backpacks) and 5 position sets

or

13 M4 mag packs (26-39 mags in backpacks)

I did not used bandages, fires sets, tents, food rations and so on. Even 3 mags in a backpack slot is not enough for me.

What I suggest. Add an game logic, where mission maker can decide how many mags he wants. Or some variable. Default can be 3, but if someone wants realism, he probably use some bigger number. For example if I would like to play as SEAL and make a drill to break contact... I would add a lot of ammo, because when they are breaking contact, they shot a lot of ammo. I heard they use 3000 pieces during one drill training (not a whole session). Please, consider an option to make this great addon as flexible, as you can.

And BIG THANKS for what you did already!

that isn't possible as the mags are defined in config, you can't change it during the missions.

Hi Shinbusan, how did you play any Standard OFP mission?

You seem to need a hell of ammo! No offense meant, but either you're not a good shot or you must have hundreds of hostiles in your missions! huh.gif

But as raedor said, changing the mag count during missions isn't possible at all. Only way was to define different rucksack magazines with different mag counts. Maybe that's an idea but that would mean a real heck of work.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Just imagine any rucksack mag just like e.g. your standard 5.56 mag. In OFP there's no possibility to change your bullet count neither. And you can't grab single bullets to refill your mag. Exact the same goes for the rucksack mag.

But agreed, would be very nice if... wink_o.gif

As to the zodiac, Commando84: I'ld carry one or two paddles if you take the engine on your back! tounge2.gif

Would be fairly easy to implement but the backpack isn't your deus ex machina and in my opinion a zodiac is way out of line.

A steerable parachute is much more like it. Gandalf did one. I used it in my mission "Traumfabrik" (Dream factory, german only unfortunately). Is there any steerable parachute that can be used by the AI?

And yeah, please give me a note if you want us to include certain Mods or weapon packs. wink_o.gif

hehe okay the zodiac was maybe a bit over the top biggrin_o.gif

but thx for considering the parachute option, i dunno but if the steerable one isn't controlable by a.i you can always fix in the bis one somehow smile_o.gif

rhs mags is all i can think of right now inlove.gif

i love their soldiers + weapons packs.

Try WGL5, DMA Modpack, FFUR or HD ammo :P Or big dispersion script. Plus long patrol with a lot of enemy. And add to it some drills like described braking contact, MG suppresive fire, grenade launchers shoting every building in enemy camp. For example.

I play sometimes standard OFP missions, but I do not like them. They are too far from what I like. I like to attack with a lot of power to minimize death and injured. I like to coordinate arty and air attacks. I like to scout without firefight or assault with a lot of ammo. :P

OK. I am in minor. No problem. Still it is great addon anyway :P

And adding ammo into backpack do not sound so difficult. I did not check it in new WGL5 beta, but Q wrote that it has it. I think it must check mags in players equipment, group it and add an action for each full group. Then if chosen, it will add rucksack ammo and delete magazines from equipment... Sounds like moderate script, nothing complex. I have so much problem with my own projects... :/ I am not a good helper. But I can share ideas. Even if they are not good smile_o.gif

Regards

UPDATE

I made a quick check of your scripts. You make a magholder and add magazines as cargo to it. So why you cannot depend number of added magazines on some global variable? I don't get it...

SJB weapons pack... One of the greatest addons out there so far... Lots of weapons to choose from and all of them very high quality and still continuing to be updated. Oh and the sounds are perfect biggrin_o.gif

SJB weapons pack... One of the greatest addons out there so far... Lots of weapons to choose from and all of them very high quality and still continuing to be updated. Oh and the sounds are perfect biggrin_o.gif

huh what.. how dos that fit in ? or did i miss something ?

to put a rucksack to carry those mags because from what I hear, it is not possible unless you modify the addon. IE: mission maker cannot choose manually what to put in addon

Hey BadAss,besides the rucksack I just want to say that the laptop idea to give orders to your units is a great one,perhaps use it to control more groups or calling extraction.

Anyway please don't give up on the laptop idea and I hope to see an update to your rucksack with the magazines from the sjb weapon pack. smile_o.gif

Of course I will keep the laptop idea in my mind. Eventhough I don't now when to work on it.

But anyways: watch out for Santa Claus. He might be around with something in his bag or shall I say backpack?! xmas_o.gif

Time has come for Santa Claus as well as for a new version of our little Rucksack addon! weihnachtsmann.gif

Right in time for christmas and for further reasons we release version 1.1 of the Rucksack addon. Besides some minor fixes BadAss has put some additional new magazines into the backpack. And guess what, they might get pretty usefull soon.

For more information please have a look into the updated readme file. Read more at Mapfact.net.

Version 1.1

- Invasion44 Demo support

- example missions for the radio

- added dummy rucksacks

- some minor issues fixed

- rucksack magazines for assault rifles now carry 3 mags instead of 2

I searched my a. off and thought I understood it was fixed... but I still get lawlaunchers on the back when the rucksack is used, and deactivate mine sign when placing an item on the ground, using ecp... Did I screw something up or is this still a known bug..

The config of the rucksack contains the mentioned fix:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> initSpeed=0; // Set initial projectile speed to 0

Thanks for any insights/help!

Thanks for your interest in the rucksack as well as the weaponpack! biggrin_o.gif

As to LAW lauincher: I don't understand the problem but maybe that's because i've never tried to use a rucksack and laws.

As to the update: well things got really messed up. I'm really sorry for that. What we have is a rucksack 1.32 or something  contained in the weapons pack. Don't know about the version included in the Weapondeal modfolder? Is the rucksack used in this mission?

The latest version that was released officially must be 1.1 I guess.

The good news are: 1.33d of the rucksack is still on my hd. I just picked it yesterday and fixed a couple of things. Some small and stupid bugs. The userdefineable magazines were more like a pain in the a.. so i dropped them out again.

Once i get my frontpage running again i'll update the read me file. But the rucksack is ready for testing. Hopefully it will make it into the weaponpack update, too.

One thing though: when testing the rucks, please note it requires the eventhandler "Fired". All ordinary weaponpack units (class man) have it by default. When using the rucksack without the weaponpack or using addon units you have to add the eventhandler manually. I tend to forget that from time to time myself...  wink_o.gif

@ July 27 2006,09:50)]One thing though: when testing the rucks, please note it requires the eventhandler "Fired". All ordinary weaponpack units (class man) have it by default. When using the rucksack without the weaponpack or using addon units you have to add the eventhandler manually. I tend to forget that from time to time myself... wink_o.gif

That's all handled and taken care off smile_o.gif

Thank you for the great answer and the work on the pack, if anything needs testing, as said before, just drop me a message smile_o.gif

What I meant about the law is...

When you do Weapon Rucksack and/or drop a mag ... the rucksack seems to dissapear and becomes a lawlauncher.. but I am just thinking maybe thats because I have an edited lawlauncher, with probably a modelspecial function... which is not declared in the rucksack, so the model special is taken from the law launcher.. I haven't confirmed this, but this just drops into my mind, so i'll check it, if so.. it's a bug of my own smile_o.gif)

Then all remaining is the 'deactivate mine' thingy... smile_o.gif

Looking forward to your new version!!

ps.. Weapon pack 1.0 and 1.01 did not contain an map_ruck addon in it's folder. Only in the weapondeal folder, and that one had the mags in them, but only the custom mags where defined and usable, all the rest was not enabled smile_o.gif

I'll send you a beta today or tomorrow. Could you PM me your mail address, I'm too lazy to upload the file... biggrin_o.gif