Sign in to follow this  
Octavian

OFP runs better on old computers?

posted this on the y2k3 forum, but was told to ask here.

well, i bought a new computer a while a go, (atleast its better than the old one)

i installed OFP GOTY on both my old computer and the new one. uppdated to 1.96 and installed y2k3 (patched to 7.5 inngame) then i hosted a MFCTI game on everon. about 20 min out in the game, it is choppy as hell. on the old computer however, it were running smooth. and it continued this way for the next 2 hours. ( i played a solider, had ai commanders on both sides)

in addition to this, the horizon does not "smoth out" like it used to, now i se the "end" its like a big dark blue wall. everyting is perfectly normal on other games.

in addittion to this the weapon moddel gets this white disease when looking in some angels, its like a transparent layer around the weapon.

the computers are running the same settings in OFP.

specs on the new one.

amd 64 4000+ 2.4 ghz

1 gb ram, corsair value

hk msi k8n neo4

XFX GF 6800

XP pro

sata maxtor hdd

Specs on the old one.

amd 64 3000+ 2 ghz

512 gb corsair value

hk asus k8ne deluxe

asus GF 4 TI4400

XP pro

old fat cable WD hdd

this realy sucks, any ideas on how to fix it?

that leaves me with 2 problems, i cant play BF2, and i loose 10k NOK

Are you sure you are using the same video drivers? I am curious because I am contemplating an upgrade soon, but I don't want to destroy my ofp gameplay in the process.

It's your video card drivers, some of the newer ones cause symptoms like you have described. I know a guy who recently updated who has the 'white gun' and 'huge grey box where fog should be' problems.

both computer run the same display drivers

6.14.0010.8185 (English) acording to dxdiag

the new one use foreceware drivers for nforce 4, the old one dont use anye forceware drivers, so that might be it, although it shouldnt be the cause. (the old one is nforce3

note that this also happened on a packard bell computer, and that is intel and radeon.

pherhaps it ofp is having difficulties with pci-E?

Mr. cheese: what videodriver is the newest one that do not cause the white \ grey sicknes?

on a Nvidia card?

saw i forgot to mention, the packard bell pc was returned because "it could not even run ofp smooth" :P

Guest Ti0n3r
on a Nvidia card?

Yupp. They're pretty good for OFP.

sorry my bad, just saw the big "ati" logo at the page :P

does it work with other games as well, or do i have to change drivers all the time?

Guest Ti0n3r
sorry my bad, just saw the big "ati" logo at the page :P

does it work with other games as well, or do i have to change drivers all the time?

Unfortunately most newer games don't run too well with the omega drivers. I had some issues when runing the BF2 demo with them. But they're still the best drivers for OFP.

the omega drivers didnt do much, possitive that is.

but using an older driver XFX 77.77 i solved the white weapon thing AND the horizon bug.

using y2k3 7.2 instead of 7.5 solved the performance issuses

Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately most newer games don't run too well with the omega drivers.

CoD 2 had quite a poor FPS and I had to run it on mid or low settings to be able to play it... Once updated to latest Omega ATI drivers I could max everything up and no FPS drops etc...

Can't say anything about nVidia though..

The horizon bug was discussed here, it was introduced with 81:85 and fixed in 81:87beta smile_o.gif .

Has for performance the omega drivers should be the best for OPF:R.

Your better system should have the advantage of the extra ram has 512 is not alot. If i was to describe the perfect card for OPF i would problably point my finger on a old dx8 GF4 ti4600 because all latest nvidia drivers seem to make the game run crappy and/or even crash sad_o.gif .

So regarding GPU's yes, i believe OPF liked old high end video cards more than the latest stuff...

You are lucky though, you have a good PC for OPF and another better one for all the new games yay.gif .

yeah, but i cant realt bring 2 computers to a lan:P must buy 2 tickets.

besides, the old computer is acting server for me now.

If the problem doesn't appear immediately and crops up 20 minutes into the game or so, then my money would be on an overheating issue -- either the CPU and/or the GPU is getting too hot and throttling back.

In the troubleshooting forum please only post if you have something constructive and useful to post smile_o.gif

My brother ran an ATI card with the omega drivers... and let's just say his experience was less than optimal. VPU recover being the operative noun, and reformat being the verb.

edit: He could not just reinstall the old drivers over the omega ones. He could not get rid of the omega drivers at all! They would seem to uninstall... I mean, like an office employee that's madly typing away into word-womp, but appearing to anyone who can not see his monitor that he was moving worlds... it seemed to uninstall.

ATI has some of the best driver programmers in the world for them. I highly doubt that some 3rd party developer is going to develop and release better drivers.

Seeing as you are running an Nvidia machine, this doesn't really apply to you, but I would appeal to anyone reading this to think twice about running the omega drivers. It may not blow up in your face, but it's certainly a possibility.

edit:

Ho ho ho, maybe I have an answer. Try fiddling with your driver settings. It may be that you're really wasting a lot of cycles on repassing textures or something. If you turn that down, you may not notice much difference in quality but you may notice a huge gain in performance.

My brother ran an ATI card with the omega drivers... and let's just say his experience was less than optimal. VPU recover being the operative noun, and reformat being the verb.

From what I've read VPU Recovery is less than stable no matter what drivers you use, it's always the first thing I turn off when I install new drivers.

edit: He could not just reinstall the old drivers over the omega ones. He could not get rid of the omega drivers at all! They would seem to uninstall...

I've never had that problem, at the end of the day for optimal stability (In Opf and other games), one should uninstall old drivers completely before installing newer ones, it may appear that each new version can be installed over the top of the previous version but there's no telling what gets left behind. Often times such advice has been handed out in here to someone having problems and it's resolved the problem smile_o.gif

Personally when I find new drivers to install I do the following: Unistall all entries for the current drivers from "add/remove programs", reboot, cancel the "found new hardware blah blah", use Driver Cleaner to remove any remaining trace of the drivers, reboot, install the new drivers, run DXDIAG to test that everything appears ok.

ATI has some of the best driver programmers in the world for them. I highly doubt that some 3rd party developer is going to develop and release better drivers.

Historically ATI drivers have been quite bad, certainly they've improved significantly in recent times though, however, as someone who has upgraded through 5 ATI graphic cards I can say 100% the Omega drivers have always provided greater stability and higher image quality, maybe ATI's own drivers are faster, but who cares about one or two extra frames per second when it doesn't look so good? smile_o.gif

Seeing as you are running an Nvidia machine, this doesn't really apply to you,

True but from my experience at least the part about uninstalling completely and using driver cleaner is very sound advice, no matter whether you're using ATI or Nvidia smile_o.gif

Sound advice. I think he did uninstall them and then reboot and install the new ones. It was a weird problem and his machine would not run IL2 or something with the Omega drivers installed. If the Omega drivers are better for some things, it's a little from column A and a little from column B.