Sign in to follow this  
echo1

FIA?

Ok im sure this has probably been asked elsewhere, but does anyone know what FIA stands for?

The Avon FAQ doesn't explain what FIA really stands for, just pure speculation. sad_o.gif

Quote from the FAQ:

What do the initials "FIA" on resistance's vehicle stand for?

Excellent question!

In the ending cutscene in the 1985 Cold War Crisis campaign's "After Montignac" mission , after Corporal David Armstrong is captured by the resistance, one of his captors (Radim or Tomas) says to him "The Everon Freedom Alliance has no quarrel with NATO".

Now, how you get from EFA (Everon Freedom Alliance) to FIA is beyond me. OFP player Asger Wille-Jřrgensen postulates that it stands for "Free Island Alliance". My theory is that the vehicles are serviced by the local FIAT garage.

The Avon FAQ doesn't explain what FIA really stands for, just pure speculation. sad_o.gif

If the FAQ doesn't know, nobody knows. This is the closest you can get wink_o.gif

If I was to type "Liberty or death" in czech, what would that be? That might give us a clue.. or not.

I heard it was something like "Free Island Army" but nobody really remembers what it originally meant.

I always refer it to

Free Islands Alliance - FIA

Makes sense if you ask me wink_o.gif

Oh oh! Deja vous crazy_o.gif This question was asked two or three years ago and it turned into a flame war and got shut down,and any way in the end nobody came up with the right answer. I know coz i was that soldier wink_o.gif My money's on this thread getting shut down aswell.

Well,i tried typing 'free island army', 'free island alliance' & 'everon freedom alliance' into a czech-english translator but, no, they dont have the initials FIA. Well, maybe it wasnt meant to stand for anything.... :wal

EDIT: This is pure speculation and is proably completely wrong, but on certain vehicles the I looks more like an / perhaps then its F/A not FIA, and F/A stands for 'freedom alliance'

Well,i tried typing 'free island army', 'free island alliance' & 'everon freedom alliance' into a czech-english translator but, no, they dont have the initials FIA. Well, maybe it wasnt meant to stand for anything.... :wal

FIA is almost at 100% nothing in czech. I can't (as czech) find any meaningful czech words for this acronym.

Well... maybe except "Fakt Inteligentni Armada" smile_o.gif

Everon has French sounding town names. Is it possible its something in French?

Everon has French sounding town names. Is it possible its something in French?

Forces d'intervention armées

Force indépendante Armée

Hmm? Second one sounds quite good smile_o.gif

With this question having been asked so many times, I bet it will be continued to be asked until a definitive answer shows up... hopefully from BIS itself, since it's really something so simple and wouldn't (I think) harm being defined by them once and for all... Dunno if FIA is going to be present in ArmA but if it is, I bet even more people that don't know about OFP but will know about it through ArmA once they know about it, will also ask until that mystery is solved... but that's just my 2 cents... goodnight.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
BUZZARD @ Oct. 29 2005,01:33)]With this question having been asked so many times, I bet it will be continued to be asked until a definitive answer shows up...

FIA = F***ed If Anyone knows.

PROBLEM SOLVED wink_o.gif

Nah, until it's solved it's a Free (to be speculated upon) Incognito (Only BIS knows what it is... and if even they don't... crazy_o.gif ) Acronym!!!! whistle.gif

I always refer it to

Free Islands Alliance - FIA

Makes sense if you ask me wink_o.gif

thats the one i've assumed it's been for a while too smile_o.gif

Fierce insurgent army! Well it is in my game anyway because i have changed res models for cechen rebels biggrin_o.gif

For my two sous worth,

Féderation Indépendante d'Agression

I always wondered why there were so many French place names in a strategic area so close to the Soviet Union. I know that la Francophonie is strong, but even la belle France would colonise right in front of Russia. tounge2.gif.

Hi,

A French explanation of the acronym would seem likely. My guess is:

FIA = Forces de l'Interieur Alliés

Cf the FFI in WW2, but terming them allied since they are active on all islands of the Malden island group, even those belonging to distinct entities.

The French place names in on Malden and Everon with a population carrying Slav personal names could perhaps be explained by making a comparison to the various foreign soldiers, artisans and others settled in the Russian empire by Czar Peter the Great, which also left their marks on various areas.

Regards,

Sander

Looking at the logo, isnt the I a little tilted?

That means it could be F/A which fits Freedom Alliance.

Either its tilted or it was because i was on a slope when i looked at it.  smile_o.gif