Sign in to follow this  
Jinef

Zeus Gaming Nights

Zeus Game-Play

Our game-play is unique, we work as a team and we act our roles yet we do it and have fun. Unlike other servers, which destroy the atmosphere with imposed rules, we at Zeus simply expect you to want to be part of the team. What we find is the more people play at Zeus the less they play anywhere else.

If you want to fly a fast jet, transport infantry in helicopters or lead an infantry squad or even command the entire mission you are free to. If you completely cock it all up ... be ready to have the piss taken out of you. There are no reprimands, we are all there to have fun and sometimes everything going wrong can be just as fun as everything going right!

Here are some videos showing Zeus in all it's glory.

Inept Platoon Commander

Two Brave Men And An IED

How our gameplay works.

A regular at Zeus who has been playing there for 3 years will happily be lead and will follow orders from someone who has joined the server for his or her first time because when that Zeus regular is leading, he will expect the same. Reciprocal courtesy.

At first, you may not want to be outspoken on teamspeak and just play quietly, that is fine. However we encourage you to lead a few missions, to be outspoken on Team-Speak and to develop your personality, you will have a lot more fun because of it.

Interested?

Game Nights are run every Thursday and Saturday at 20:00 Zulu (GMT).

Server IP: 80.190.227.54 OR Zeus.GOTF.Net

Server Port: 2500

Max Custom File Size = 65kb

What You Need - Addons

Addon Help Thread

I suggest you follow the advice on that thread to the letter. Otherwise you might get automatically rejected from the server because of missing addons.

What You Need - Teamspeak

Teamspeak

Obviously it is not compulsory, however teamspeak is half the Zeus experience.

TS IP: 80.190.227.54 OR Zeus.GOTF.Net

Contact Us

> Post Here

> Go On Teamspeak

> Go On IRC - #ofp-zeus @ Quakenet

> Post on Zeus Forums

Background Reading:

Previous Zeus Coop Night

Previous Zeus Coop Night

Previous Zeus Coop Night

Previous Zeus Coop Night

Previous Zeus Coop Night

Previous Zeus Coop Night

Im in, If the time for the games matches my spare time during the day. Am I considered VIP public? Or am I an Exile of Zeus? Kinda like a loose cannon or a Vigilante tired of all the breurocratic clan/squad/server BS that goes around.

CFOG (http://cfog.prv.pl) is in. 5 persons are interested at this moment, but maybe there will be more. But it will have to be separate squad due to fact, that not all of memebers speak English, so this would be only Polish speaking squad. Squad Commander will be of course English speaking.

P.S. I think it is not a good idea if this thread will disapear from BIS forums. Here is the annoucement board for fans all over the world...

This sounds pretty awesome. I know about 10 (most likely more) german/english speaking guys that would love to do this. We normally play FDF using tactics and strategy, so it might work out well.

What addons will we need?

Will we need to get on the same voice server? I'm sure having a 30 man game will lead to some sort of communication problem.

Will there be any sort of mission limits? Most A&D missions ignore jets and helicopters because they can kill too easily.

Quote[/b] ]Go to this link to discuss shit. No point in cluttering the BI forums while we have our own to clutter.

Could a mod please delete this thread in a few days.

i agree with shinbusan; not too many people frequent the zeus forums, so it would be better to leave this thread here so that other squads notice it.

Quote[/b] ]What addons will we need?

it will most likely start out as FDF, but hopefully Zeus will add WarGames 5 to its server, so we can have some real fun...

Quote[/b] ]Will we need to get on the same voice server? I'm sure having a 30 man game will lead to some sort of communication problem.

well, the normal thing is for each team to split up into their own separate channels once the game begins. i doubt it would be necessary to split into sub-channels by squad, but that is another option. then, once a round has finished, everybody goes into the lobby to talk about the mission (what went right, what went wrong, strategies that were used, etc.)

Quote[/b] ]Will there be any sort of mission limits? Most A&D missions ignore jets and helicopters because they can kill too easily.

that would be an issue of balance, which would be handled by the mission maker (most likely jinef). the thing to remember is that the normal course is for each team to play each side once; so, for example, in bridge assault the defending team has 3 btr's and mortar support, while the attacking paratroopers only have AT guys to deal with the btr's, and no way to deal with the mortar-fire. once the round is over, though, the attackers switch to the defending side, and the defenders are forced to attack.

Better Idea.

Go to this link to discuss shit. No point in cluttering the BI forums while we have our own to clutter.

http://www.ofp-zeus.com/nuke....90#9009

Could a mod please delete this thread in a few days.

Not really a better idea... leave the thread, leave the nights open to BI forum players. It's not like we're overflowing or anything. smile_o.gif

This sounds pretty awesome. I know about 10 (most likely more) german/english speaking guys that would love to do this. We normally play FDF using tactics and strategy, so it might work out well.

Nothing more to add actually. I hope this gets off the ground.

Arch.

Quote[/b] ]

it will most likely start out as FDF, but hopefully Zeus will add WarGames 5 to its server, so we can have some real fun...

Cool. I've always liked WGL, but for some reason noone I know does. I enjoy the sounds, effects, and the scripting is just awesome.

The vibe I'm getting from the people I know is that it's not as realistic as FDF. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. What's with the enthusiasm towards WGL? I've played it online maybe once or twice, and it didn't play that differently from FDF. Is there something that WGL has that FDF doesn't?

I've been thinking alot of some nifty things that could be added to make it more fun/immersive. Perhaps it could be scripted so that once a player is killed, a medic could transport him back to the main base, and he'd be revived or something. I've seen some of the missions Jinef has made ( Red scourge), and I have no doubt that he could make some awesome scripts to add to this endevour.

If you need help with anything Jinef, let me know, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Cmon, no respwans in this. You died, you go for supper, tea, forum, whatever and wait for AAR and/or swap sides.

As soon as WGL5 is released officially Zeus will be running it.

WGL vs FDF.

FDF is by far the superior mod when it comes to models, theme, sounds and quality. However it used normal OFP as a base which is decidedly unrealistic.

In normal OFP you do not use real scales or grid references on your map.

In normal OFP you can run at 22kph. This is like 15 miles per hour. While an average soldier sprinting his guts out can only run 9mph.

In normal OFP it is normal to shoot through bushes. AI engage with lethal accuracy at 400 metres.

Etc. Etc.

We use FDF simply because it is the most complete mod out there however I don't believe it is the most realistic.

My focus on mission making is swinging towards WGLZ/WGL 5.

As for respawns. When playing a platoon mission with 10 players leading squads it is nice for everyone to be playing until the very end. Noone gets left out.

If we get 30 people playing the mission we can get rid of AI completely and the respawn they bring. The mission will play much faster with all humans and the battles will be much more fierce because AI suck donkey penis.

However with all humans inherent problems occur. You need a chain of command. Dedicated comm channels and very strong section leaders in order to focus the force into completing anything. So we need to train some more squad leaders me thinks.

Endex

i'm a pretty good squad leader, the other day me, Don Joni, Jopo and WAX were playing FDF on Zeus I was leading.. We had virturally no casualties until people started to screw around and in the end 2 ppl died and it was a pretty long mission. we made it to extract point and mission was completed. I don't micro manage when I lead... I just give general orders and ROE's I leave it upto people to decide to use a nade to kill a small squad or to spray em with MG fire and then pick them off with a sniper... ETC

Quote[/b] ]The vibe I'm getting from the people I know is that it's not as realistic as FDF

did they say what was less realistic?

Quote[/b] ]i'm a pretty good squad leader

who leads would probably be something to be decided once everyone was assembled on the server

Remember for platoon missions there are 3 levels in chain of command.

Platoon CO

^^^

Section Leaders

^^^

Section Members

Platoon CO - someone who has a good idea about infantry tactics and can coordinate attacks.

Section Leaders - People who get the squad to do exactly what the platoon CO wants done. A section leader has to manage his subordinates in a tightly controlled fashion (People wandering around the battlefield not in formation are likely to be shot at by both sides) and he also has to report information to the Platoon CO. In a large scale mission where attacks are coordinated with other units, artillery and illumination you need to have section leaders who know their shit.

who leads would probably be something to be decided once everyone was assembled on the server

No m8 you never played on our server we are a dictatorship pistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]No m8 you never played on our server we are a dictatorship

i have played on zeus; i just didn't want to completely pull the rug out from under his feet.

Highly ordered squads will use Team Leader even, to split squad sometimes. What more, there should be a queue for leadership, because in fight leader can be dead fast, so everyone HAS to know who is in charge in this situation. Last game on CiA showed what happened if no one wnats to lead and if current leader is dead. Decision must be fast. On the battlefield there is no place for waiting (with real enemy, with AI it is not so much important).

What more, first in queue (team leader if squad uses this function) must know the whole situation. So it is a bad idea if leader do not share information with the rest.

If people knows each other in group they should know who is good leader, and who hate this role. And functions and queue should consider it.

i have played on zeus; i just didn't want to completely pull the rug out from under his feet.

J/King there Pablo biggrin_o.gif

We always like to have ppl take the lead because we are all lazy B's

On a more serious note the hardest part about leading is getting the players being led to do what you need, when you need it.

Some of my most successful missions, where I have taken lead, I have appointed a sergeant major type, generally the Baron, to make sure orders are understood and carried out. If I want a line formed it is no good if 3 of your squad is 50 meters in front banghead.gif

regards Cibit

in order to do that, ther has to be a run under me though biggrin_o.gif BTW: I'm an EX-Zeusie so i know all the blokes that have "tha powa" :d + I did them a couple "favors" in my past life that i'm not proud of wink_o.gif dammit I'd do anthing to get those addons I wanted onto the server biggrin_o.gif

No m8 you never played on our server we are a dictatorship pistols.gif

and also accept hard cash or top of the range hardware welcome.gif

edit: and cat food is also appreciated

And if you're in Jinefs squad, you'd better get used to some "small unit tactics" and accept the scrutiny of your CO. tounge2.gif (also kind of an inside joke)

Don't listen to Bn880, he is an accident prone numpty.

nener.gif

...oh brother...and i have been fighting alongside these guys for such a long time. We look like the monthy python crew with guns mixed with a flavour of the 3 stooges multiplied by a factor of 10 with a pinch of charlie chaplin and add to that a little tweak of mr. bean. Lovely ain't it.

offtopic.gif

baaasmiley.gif

i have been dreaming about player vs player coop action all my life biggrin_o.gif i actually got a mission where a group of seals are going around malden to take any battles they want to do and avoiding or attacking the enemies around, there's a twist also that there can be a group of ruskie GRU Spetznas that have objective to hunt the seals pistols.gif

The seals can win by extraction back to their base. Though only thing is that there are mixed groups of infantery a few tanks and even a few choppers patroling or awating calls for backup. tounge2.gif

Dunno if you guys are intrested in it, Pm me about it, i've used some zeus weather script in it but i can't get anything than night to work crazy_o.gif other than that mission only needs optimization like maybe choose insane or medium difficutly and that would change how many a.i's that are on the mission. To make mission less chance of lag. Im at school now so this is from my memory but i think there are 7or seals and 5 or 6 gru sf guys.