Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

OFP Navy

Nah you should soldier on if you have some ships completed. Up to you really.

Gnat,

Are those submarines will use only torpedos? How about cruise missiles or medium range ballistic missiles?

Also, when do you plan on releasing the Myasichev bomber?

Same as JW. It looks like Arma will solve the multi turret problem. I rekon it's safe to say most multiplayer games will be using Arma when it's released? Well at least public servers.

make 'em as complete as you can for ofp and when arma hits the fan you can convert them over to arma by then and do the multiple gun positions and stuff yay.gif

I agree with Commando84. Make it for OFP now and when arma is ready, covert it. Who knows, we might not see the damn arma till the next summer!!! So many projects in OFP community has been stalled because ppl expect this fucking arma to be released next week, next month ...

Gnat,

Why won't multiple guns work in MP? What's the issue?

The extra weapons have to be created on the server and the server has to run the positioning script, but because it does (not the client) the guns don't follow the ship when its moving, they lag behind, anywhere from several meters to half the length of the ship.

There appears to be no way to have all the clients creating their copy of the weapon and running the positioning scripts (so to everyone they look to stay in their correct positions on the ship) and at the same time update the server so each "weapon" does damage/kills etc.

Obviously if the ship is static, this isn't a problem, but I didn't want a "static" fleet sad_o.gif

@JW

Quote[/b] ].... and make even better models (and textures) for ArmA

LOL .... not very likely .... my skill levels aren't much above what you see smile_o.gif

My better skills are more in the hidden/unseen areas, scripting.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>Frigates beta 1 was release yesterday......</span></span>

So moving onto the next units .... likely Submarines.

@Franze

Quote[/b] ]Any possibility of an Arleigh Burke destroyer? Or is that not happening?

Ported into OFP (as you can tell ... not my quality of textures LOL ) but not scripted or armed with missiles etc.

I'd LOVE to find a decent blueprint (3D or 2D) for an "Eastern" counterpart (Soviet or Chinese maybe).

Destroyer_4.jpg

Gnat @ Aug. 20 2006,04:16)]I'd LOVE to find a decent blueprint (3D or 2D) for an "Eastern" counterpart (Soviet or Chinese maybe).

I'll see what i can do...

I think Sovremionyj or modern destroyers will fitt that counterpart well...

Have you tried skipping over the createvehicle part for the turrets with a local check, then having the position script run on all clients? I think I did that with my UH-60 sling load script a while back and had some reasonable success with it.

Cool Arleigh Burke - where'd you find it? A friend of mine just goes crazy over that boat. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think I'll be editing the weapons a bit on the OHP and Krivak - it looks like the Krivak also has some short range SAMs on it's CIWS mounts, and OHP lacks SM-2 missiles. They both could use more bite against aircraft.

EDIT: For a adversary, why not the Sovremenny class destroyer?

Have you tried skipping over the createvehicle part for the turrets with a local check, then having the position script run on all clients?

Tried it, not suitable. With the Server running the addon it literally "Lags" behind the ship .... ie, becomes separated.

Doesn't matter how fast you run the server loop, the position is always going to slip on the client.

You can't run the createunit client-side only, because you then need one for EVERY client, and then you have the server trying to synch them all.

I now see the benifits of a Client-Only createunit command that ArmA will have ....

Quote[/b] ]They both could use more bite against aircraft.

Hmmmm ..... think you find you won't get it much better, you forget that standard OFP detection range for both the ship and the Air is very similar thus the Ship is HIGHLY unlikely to strike at the Air target before the Air unit strikes.

Through much of my testing it became a game of mutual elimination.

My missiles take out "normal" air addons with 1 shot. Anything different is either a B-52 (etc) or is running their addons armour too high for aircraft.

Quote[/b] ]EDIT: For a adversary, why not the Sovremenny class destroyer?

Yes, but I'm yet to find a high res blueprint or even a basic 3D model.

yes, Sovremenniy is widely spread over russian navy, but it's a bit old, i think it's counterpart should be Kid class destroyer...

while Udaloy is most modern russian destroyer and couterpart most modern Arley Burge...

But there is some news about Sovremenniy... by not accurate information, russian navy ordered or even has now, Sovremenniy II class destroyers, i wounder what has been changed, added...  icon_rolleyes.gif

and yes, same destiny with Udaloy, there's Udaloy II or even III class destroyers...

P.S. downloading pdfs about those destroyers... whistle.gif

Gnat @ Aug. 20 2006,06:52)]Tried it, not suitable. With the Server running the addon it literally "Lags" behind the ship .... ie, becomes separated.

Doesn't matter how fast you run the server loop, the position is always going to slip on the client.

You can't run the createunit client-side only, because you then need one for EVERY client, and then you have the server trying to synch them all.

I now see the benifits of a Client-Only createunit command that ArmA will have ....

That's a real pain in the butt - but even without expanded multiplayer capability, they still work and I think that's the key thing.

Quote[/b] ]Hmmmm ..... think you find you won't get it much better, you forget that standard OFP detection range for both the ship and the Air is very similar thus the Ship is HIGHLY unlikely to strike at the Air target before the Air unit strikes.

Through much of my testing it became a game of mutual elimination.

My missiles take out "normal" air addons with 1 shot. Anything different is either a B-52 (etc) or is running their addons armour too high for aircraft.

Thus far, I've yet to take a hit from either missile - flying Su-25, A-10 and other, more advanced, aircraft. I'm not asking for a Super SAM Harpoon, only for a SM-2 or a better short range defensive SAM for air defense instead of Harpoon. I've already got a Standard ARM somewhere, so I may very well add the capability myself - for *personal* use; not trying to undermine your efforts here. I really do think your ships are a great addition.

Quote[/b] ]Yes, but I'm yet to find a high res blueprint or even a basic 3D model.

Just make a floating box and call it a Sovremenny. wink_o.gif

@Gedis

According to FAS (and they may very well be wrong), the Udaloy and Sovremenny both reached and IOC of 1980. I'm fine with either one - they both look cool.

My advice to all is:

Don't use www.fas.org site ever!

it gives wrong information, sometimes wrong pictures and very often bad quality blueprints or drawings...

Best and easiest to use, site about worlds military is www.globalsecurity.org

well if build dates are very similar, then i'm sure that Udaloy class destroyers has better armament tounge2.gif

Gedis,

globalsecurity.org uses lots of the same information as fas.org. Compare their information on Udaloy with what's availible on FAS and you'll find they share a lot of the same information.

The only problem with FAS is that they're out of date by about 10 years on many subjects.

Fantastic work Gnat! The frigates are top notch! Am dreaming up the mission possibilities now! smile_o.gif

I agree with you about the submarines - I hope they come down the slipway soon! Can't wait to use the 688 for some commando insertions with a zodiac! pistols.gif

Small Update

- Beta 2 for the Frigates less than a week away.

- Sub using CoC Torpedo's: Breakthrough! AI now fire Torpedo themselves.

Gnat,

Good to hear from you! What about the ability of the sub to fire cruse missiles or ballistic missiles? Also, can the surface ships detect those subs?

WIP: Ballistic missile launch by "Multi-gunning" a custom Scud launcher to a/any submarine.

Sub_A.jpg

Sub_B.jpg

Sub_C.jpg

@EdGrrr

Nice link, thx smile_o.gif

@COMmunist

Yes, Ships can certainly detect the subs

@Al Simmons

hmmmmmmm ... month or 2 maybe