Sign in to follow this  
wenker

Bas

I remember when they started out and released the reskinned BIS black hawks, man those were great. Good old days when people wern't so demanding, happy times

They left behind'em a bunch of awesome addons , let's hope to see them again in ArmA.

In any way ,even 2 years later , they're still alive in all minds...

does it's worth to start questioning about BAS?

they were they, they are titans, who showed the way to the others, some of them folowed them and some made something better... it's what it is... history, we are learning from it...

if they will decide to come back, i'll be waiting, maybe they will need my info, maybe not...

in conclusion, i don't know about you, but i'll be glad to have them back...

althought they did make good addons and they are still one of my favorite teams in my mind i still think they fucked up when they showed us all those pictures and videos and gave us all that info about there updated littlebirds and with no noictice on release day never released them then after a few days told you they were never to be released ...  sad_o.gif that put me down alot becuase they were the addons i wanted most..

i think its safe to say BAS set the standards for "others" to follow and expand on, They where good in their time, but they have moved on, and others have taken their place/s, its the ofp natural way of selection tounge2.gif

Smiley

Quote[/b] ]then after a few days told you they were never to be released ...

That sucks.

It also sucks to do these things for no reason apart from you enjoy doing it and getting loads of s**t from people who *expect* things from you. That's not a personal attack by the way, just an observation on the comment. smile_o.gif

I love watching what comes from this community but I would never demand or expect anything from anyone.

Everything you see on this forum is voluntary (apart from BIS staff, naturally) so anything above and beyond should be treated with the respect it deserves.

You don't like it: be constructive.

You like it: tell those responsible.

I think it's fair to say that BAS's Pilots/Deltas/Rangers/Seals have been long outshadowed by Laser's excelent work.

And sorry to say that the current BAS SFs, Pilots (internal), etc outshadow Laser's work, as nice as it is. Just because you don't get to see the work I/we've done since leaving OFP and moving on to VBS doesn't mean our work has been stagnant.

Also what are the dates on all the things we released? Some are quite old, but still stand up today. A lot of the old OFP work could use a facelift, but why bother.

If it wasn't for groups like BAS, FDF, DKM, COC, TOW, Vit's Planes, and MapFacts.

I really wouldnt put Vit in the same group as all the others.  He hasnt added any inovations, just repackaged others work.

I would have to give Vit.., credit!

For the simple fact, that Vit's innovation in plane scripting is one that is still in use to this day!

I haven't seen many planes better than Vit's!

Which one or two other planes I have seen as good or slightly better than his!

And for BAS!

I think the classics are hot!

Great then and still good now!

But this is my opinion!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

Guest RKSL-Rock
I would have to give Vit.., credit!

For the simple fact, that Vit's innovation in plane scripting is one that is still in use to this day!

It isnt Vit's though, thats the point, hes adapted footmunch's and other's scritps.

Getting back on topic, for myself ive always had both DKM & BAS' stuff on my HD.

The standand set by both these teams raised the goal for the rest of us. People still measure the quality of helicopters by the BAS Blackhawks. I even use the LoDing as an example of how it should be done in my own stuff.

Both teams showed us how to make good addons, regardless of what you think of them personally you have ot admit OFP is much better for their efforts.

They also gave us Tonal, bringing the game play to an other level...

Quote[/b] ]Vit's innovation in plane scripting is one that is still in use to this day

Quote[/b] ]I haven't seen many planes better than Vit's!

rofl.gif

Well if you say so...

BAS getting back into addon creation for OFP2 or ArmAs...that'd be almost as cool as resurrecting The Beatles.  biggrin_o.gif

I hope I get to see them back in action. For me, they'll always have a well earned mystique.

I basically echo Canadian Terror's comment. I use to only fault them for getting all worked up over negative comments and being completely oblivious to all positive comments. In the end I also have to ask who cares about negative responses, I mean are you making addons for enjoyment or fame?

The thing that always bothers me about BAS, (and it's to no fault of their own) is how every one has elevated them to the status of gods with no equals. Some one mentioned earlier about DKM and their scripts and that's a good example. There are so many others that make addons and scripts that are just as good as BAS's stuff, in some cases even greater.

I guess it just sort of rubs me the wrong way the overzealous worship and idolization of BAS. What really makes them so much better then every one else? (Once again I don't mean that as an insult to BAS, I mean it as a question to the fans that I believe put too much into them)

All that said BAS's comments over the past few years do kind of come across as arrogant to me. This thread is the second time I've read a BAS members response that included "Lasers stuff is ok but our stuff is way better." I mean who actually says that "Are stuff is the best†it just seems a little pompous to me. It’s good to have pride in your work but “Our stuff is the best†just screams ego trip.

I basically echo Canadian Terror's comment. I use to only fault them for getting all worked up over negative comments and being completely oblivious to all positive comments. In the end I also have to ask who cares about negative responses, I mean are you making addons for enjoyment or fame?

The thing that always bothers me about BAS, (and it's to no fault of their own) is how every one has elevated them to the status of gods with no equals. Some one mentioned earlier about DKM and their scripts and that's a good example. There are so many others that make addons and scripts that are just as good as BAS's stuff, in some cases even greater.

I guess it just sort of rubs me the wrong way the overzealous worship and idolization of BAS. What really makes them so much better then every one else? (Once again I don't mean that as an insult to BAS, I mean it as a question to the fans that I believe put too much into them)

All that said BAS's comments over the past few years do kind of come across as arrogant to me. This thread is the second time I've read a BAS members response that included "Lasers stuff is ok but our stuff is way better." I mean who actually says that "Are stuff is the best†it just seems a little pompous to me. It’s good to have pride in your work but “Our stuff is the best†just screams ego trip.

definately agree...their stuff was nice but "the best" very far from it..attitude goes a long way in my book...the whole " And sorry to say that the current BAS SFs, Pilots (internal), etc outshadow Laser's work, as nice as it is. Just because you don't get to see the work I/we've done since leaving OFP and moving on to VBS doesn't mean our work has been stagnant."...thas kinda like braggin u have a hot girlfriend that no one has ever seen icon_rolleyes.gif They definately added to the community nothing more nothing less...there are lots of groups and single addonmakers that have STUCK AROUND who surpass their work and don't go around "tooting their own horn" about it.

i think bas was the best addon team ever back in the days , but new teams come and go , now i think laser does a quite good job, and Rhs and mapfact are also my favourites.

3wx team also good, and the little i've had a chance of testing of the falklands mod has been very professional too smile_o.gif DKM was really good too. If bas would apear out of the blue to make stuff for armed assault i would be thrilled too see what they can do again biggrin_o.gif

I think the biggest contribution the bas team did was to make trailers and also even make some missions and campaigns too go along with their addons so that people could understand better what the blackhawks and stuff was good for inlove.gif

the biggest uber team in ofp addon creation would probably be if footmunch , bas , dkm , falklands , mapfact and rhs and laser merged into one big group xmas_o.gif

How could anyone have anything bad to say about a team of freelancers that give us addons for free?

I have alot of respect for the team member "Select this" not to mention all the other great team members.

Their quality then was above OFP's and I am sure it would be the same if made today.

guys, stop being such mean people confused_o.gif

BAS Did work there ass off for us even though we did nothing

for them. So stop giving shit about how they are not that good. any way... no offence... i love there addons thumbs-up.gif

there are lots of groups and single addonmakers that have STUCK AROUND who surpass their work and don't go around "tooting their own horn" about it.

Look, if defending and having pride in my work is tooting my own horn, then so be it. I like laser's work, I use his stuff when I play OFP, so don't start something that isn't there. I just like to use my own work where aplicable, and It's MY opinon, which I AM entitled to thank you. I in no way put his work down at all, I just like my work better, now what on earth is wrong with that? Tell me. Others can trash or compliment peoples work except the creators?

There are and have been more than a few mods/addons that surpass BAS addons in terms of quality and innovation, nothing new there. You can't look at a single addon, or a single componant of an addon and make judgements of the overall quality of work that spans across units, islands, missions, etc.

And making blanket comments about a group based on an individuals comments is abhorrent. My comments are my own. Have you seen any posts by any others than myself? And I only posted to reply to one comment.

This is last I'll comment here, no sense in opening up old wounds, or creating new ones. I apologize for steering this thread in the same old direction, but will not apologize for chiming in to post my opinion.

<edit> But I agree bringing up the fact that the actual work is for a platform many choose not to upgrade to was not the best way of making my point.

Quote[/b] ]Look, if defending and having pride in my work is tooting my own horn, then so be it. I like laser's work, I use his stuff when I play OFP, so don't start something that isn't there. I just like to use my own work where aplicable, and It's MY opinon, which I AM entitled to thank you. I in no way put his work down at all, I just like my work better, now what on earth is wrong with that? Tell me. Others can trash or compliment peoples work except the creators?

There are and have been more than a few mods/addons that surpass BAS addons in terms of quality and innovation, nothing new there. You can't look at a single addon, or a single componant of an addon and make judgements of the overall quality of work that spans across units, islands, missions, etc.

And making blanket comments about a group based on an individuals comments is abhorrent. My comments are my own. Have you seen any posts by any others than myself? And I only posted to reply to one comment.

This is last I'll comment here, no sense in opening up old wounds, or creating new ones. I apologize for steering this thread in the same old direction, but will not apologize for chiming in to post my opinion.

<edit> But I agree bringing up the fact that the actual work is  for a platform many choose not to upgrade to was not the best way of making my point.

Sorry I didn't mean it as an attack what I said. I was just saying your comment about "over shadowing lasers work" came across rather bad I thought.

I would even like to clarify again that when I say how I can't understand the way people idolize and worship BAS, I don't mean that at all as an insult to BAS. BAS deserves credit for their Island and helicopters I enjoyed them back in the day and I still think the helicopters are excellent. I just find it baffeling how the fans come to the conclussion that BAS is the king when there are so many others who are equal in quality.

It's like saying the Rolling Stones are the best, well then what about the Beatles? Can you really say one of the two is the best?

(please no one make the comment "Well the Stones are obviously better because they stuck around man, the Beatles ditched us just like BAS!"  sorry couldn't resist wink_o.gif )

Actually after re-reading my post I came across as an arrogant prick, so my bad. Heck I'm not eve in BAS anymore so... I shouldn't even post, lol.

Quote[/b] ]we'd still only have shitty retextures of BIS models for addons.

They were the first addon team to promote quality over quantity

I rather liked retextures, or slightly improved stock units. Call me crazy. They're much better for use in large missions.

However. You don't gain widespread acclaim for stuff like that. Even I'll admit, to an extent. That kind of mediocrity doesn't incite praise from anyone, so there's no real incentive for many to do that. It still does have it's merits however.

Furthermore. In the case of OFP. Quantity wins over quality to me. Stock OFP units work well enough for what I use this game for. (ie: not a digital picture gallery, but a large scale battlefield simulator).

My biggest complaint is the fact that there aren't enough units close to "Stock BIS unit" quality out there for more variety.

It's all nice and well to use these new high detail soldiers that are worth like three BIS helicopters apiece, detail-wise in a mission, however I feel I miss out on better performance in larger missions when I do. I didn't get a better computer to have nicer visuals in OFP. There are plenty of games out there that look much better than OFP. I wanted to improve my gameplay experience through larger missions, increased capacity to handle gameplay improving scripts. That was and It still is. What keeps me playing it. Thank goodness for FDF. That's all I can say.

And since OFP kind of lacks on smaller scale combat compared to newer games. The huge missions are all I really play now.

I will give credit to the DMA team for their resistance troops. They've amazed me with a release that appears both high quality and yet weighs in closer to BIS stock units in performance drain. Despite their higher detail textures... (which can be "fixed").

Bas also made some good units that way too. The OPFOR pack is a terrific example. It was a stock BRDM with a gun on it. I mean holy shit. The americans had the willys/mg and the m113 and they had bugger all. The SCUD was also a great addition for the same reason. Using what was already available and improving the way it was used. Less the way it was to be visually appreciated.

I also enjoyed the MH-47. It had loads of features that improved gameplay without the mind blowing and CPU decimating detail of their blackhawk pack.

All in all. They released some good stuff, but at the same time. I think they got just a bit too serious about this whole addon business.

OFP is supposed to be fun. Not a popularity contest.

Unlike your apparent dislike for spelling.

i like it this way

anyway

you think that bas stuff is cool becouse its "crappy" and doesnt lag much

you think that theres no way to make good looking and also playable addons for ofp ?

strange