Sign in to follow this  
stu

Some Siege Equipment

I seriously doubt he would give this up,especially considering whats shown of the work he's putting into it,and if he does then I'll just have to give him much grief when he gets onto messenger tounge2.gif.

The stuff you'v shown look pretty impressive so far,especially the detail to the soldiers and whatnot,looking forward to see how this turns out.

Thanks guys, biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Thaatu Posted on Nov. 02 2005,13:01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope Seven Worders of the world isn't too much to ask

We'll see, biggrin_o.gif

@tsalagikola, Thx for the link,  I may make some roman roman horse calvary or Germanic.  smile_o.gif

@Furious_Angel, thx and i'll do the first release for ofp smile_o.gif

The first release will have the Germanic tribe with some boats and the village and some romans and ship and a small roman encampment.  I plan on releasing the mod in stages, like after the first release of the above. i'll start on an other civilization and so on smile_o.gif

@xnodunitx, biggrin_o.gif I'll get round to setting messenger up this week honest biggrin_o.gif

Small update on the Germanic Boats.

GermanicBoats.jpg

GermanicBoats2.jpg

Almost forgot the drinking horn. biggrin_o.gif

Horn.jpg

Jeez man you just keep gettin better and better,don't forget the rules of face lighting,flat faces need the sharp face effect otherwise they look odd.

Sharp face-U

Smooth face-I (keys for O2) Hope to see you on messenger this week.

Hmm wonder how many romans does it take to beat a group of Delta rangers?

Ok as stu already said do i make some shields , swords etc..

here two pictures of the Shield

schild1.jpg

Schild2.jpg

Hmm wonder how many romans does it take to beat a group of Delta rangers?

Hahaha, now that's something I look forward to try when this gets released.... biggrin_o.gif

hay all sry for the lack of updates been busy wink_o.gif

@tsalagikola,  thanks for putting the link up for the bow smile_o.gif

Hear's some of the new models i've done so far.   Also before i forget has anyone got a good horse texture that i could possibly use or know where i could get one? as i've started on a horse model for the Chariots but i just lack a good horse texture.

Shipwright2.jpg

miscobjects.jpg

smalltemple1.jpg

smalltemple2.jpg

Glad to see you back on here stu, it looks as if you have been very busy. I like the progress, especially impressed with the Romanesque building as well as the static objects. Good job smile_o.gif

I had to look it up-----------BALLISTA - Roman seige engine similar to oversized crossbow

CROSSBOW-

By the 200s BC, the crossbow was well developed and quite widely used in China. Crossbows have been found among the soldiers of the Terracotta Army in the tomb of emperor Qin Shi Huang (260-210 BCE). Some linguistic evidence also seems to indicate a Southeast Asian origin.

One of the most distinctive Chinese inventions on crossbows was the repeating crossbow (Chu-ko-nu), invented in 2nd Century AD but was used as late as China-Japan war of 1894-1895 by Manchurian troops. [ Roman bows tended to be ornate and well engineered,] yet western European bowstocks that were produced 600 years later appeared to be nothing more than rough hewn slabs of wood.

The prod of a crossbow was made of wood or composite materials until the middle of the 15th century. The advantage of a simple wooden prod is that the bow as a whole was lighter in weight, easier to span (even by hand), and quicker to discharge. Composite prods were made of horn, sinew and wood, and produced much larger draw forces. The draw force is the tension that the string is under when the bow is engaged. Since the draw force can be much more than a soldier might be able to pull, these crossbows generally include a winch device to cock them. It is the high launch force of a crossbow that made it a formidable weapon in warfare. Since composite prods involved gluing material together which would have to withstand a great deal of stress, a slow drying time was essential. The strongest glues naturally took longer to dry. It was not uncommon for six months up to a year to be spent in ensuring a bow was dried properly.

In the later 1400s, steel manufacturing advanced significantly, and was more commonly used in spring production. A crossbow prod was made out of spring steel, steel prods being very common by the early 1500s as their performance was more uniform, except in very cold weather. About 1400 the use of the crossbow changed, with the butt end of the stock being placed on the shoulder for accuracy. By 1650, the cross bow looked like it had a rifle stock, and was used in a similar way (what you see on a rifle has probably already been done on a crossbow). Makers of crossbows (arbalistmeisters) were making quite beautiful crossbow stocks by 1600. Some Belgian designs were as polished as those of modern Olympic rifles.

Crossbows were actively being used in European warfare from 800 to 1500 A.D. They supplanted bows in many European armies for a number of reasons. An expertly handled longbow had greater range, better accuracy, and a much faster rate of fire than an average crossbow, but the value of the crossbow came in its simplicity: it could be used effectively after a week of training, while a comparable single-shot skill with a longbow could take years. The use of winches allowed soldiers to use and fire weapons with a draw force far in excess of what they could have handled with a bow. In the later years of the crossbow it had enough kinetic energy to penetrate the armor of a knight with ease: some reached a draw force of nearly 350 lbf (1600 N), compared to the 60-180lbf (300-900 N) draw force for a longbow. Moreover, crossbows could be kept cocked and ready to shoot for some time with little effort, allowing crossbowmen to aim better and to "cover" a target area, while archers could not keep their powerful bows pulled for long periods of time.

Due to the long time required to reload a crossbow, users would sometimes make use of a pavise.

Pope Urban II banned the use of crossbow against Christians in 1097, and the Second Lateran Council did the same for arbalests in 1139. The crossbow was seen as unchivalrous and as a threat to social order, since a peasant could kill a noble anonymously; crossbow mercenaries were usually killed immediately on capture, unlike others who might have been ransomed or set free. However, their effectiveness made them an "evil" no one could afford to be without, often in the form of hired foreign mercenaries. Given the great accuracy of the crossbow, it filled many duties that sniper rifles have today.

Crossbows were eventually replaced in warfare by gunpowder weapons. Early guns had slower rates of fire and much worse accuracy than contemporary crossbows.

Modern crossbows are still used for target shooting and in some places for hunting. They are made of the same composite materials as modern bows.

One of the newest developments in crossbow technology is the use of the shoulder-cock. The shoulder-cock is extremely easy to use and has a fast loading time. Using a shoulder-cock, a good crossbowman could reload in under 7 seconds. The average draw force for the shoulder-cock crossbow is 100 lbf (400 N), which is low compared to other crossbows. A good example of a shoulder-cock crossbow is the NCstars FX-II crossbow.

The phrase "a bolt out of the blue" meaning a sudden event may mean a crossbow bolt arriving without warning from a distance away; or it may mean the rare but known event of lightning falling from a clear sky. When one "shoots their bolt" it is implied that they had only one chance to do something, and have given it one try. There is also a proverb "a fool's bolt is soon shot." If they fail, it is all over. This comes from the fact that crossbows took a long time to load, and therefore, supposedly, the crossbowman couldn't afford to miss.

Ok here some things

Thats a pilum throwing spear which the Roman Units used.

pilum3.jpg

pilum4.jpg

Also i saw the big interesst in the Greek Hoplits , so i tried to make the equip for tem.

hoplit3.jpg

hoplit4.jpg

hoplit5.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Sen†ry ˛°°ł Posted on Dec. 03 2005,23:12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks just nice

one question stu...

whats with the tiberian dawn mod? I cant go to the homepage, and i cant get infos about it  

is it dead or whaassup with it?!

ltrs

Thx  Sen†ry,  As for the TD mod my interest in the mod isn't as great as it use't to be confused_o.gif  i've not really be in contact with anyone on the mod so i wouldn't know what's happening with the mod or website,  i'll need to contact ize and see whats happening  wink_o.gif

@tsalagikola  Thx again for the link smile_o.gif

@Desert-Rat, Looking great Desert-Rat,  If you what i'll send you the basic roman model so you can put your equipment on it.?

Also i've been trying to think of a name for the mod, i've come up with some names but perhaps someone has a better name wink_o.gif

Age of Rome.

Rome the Endless War.

The Battle for Rome.

Ancient Rome.

PRISCA.  I believe it means Ancient.

What yous think? biggrin_o.gif

Ancient Rome sounds good wink_o.gif the other sounds like Age of Empires wink_o.gif

Well ya just send the Base model smile_o.gif

here are two pictures how a phalanx could look like , they couldn't be shown in bulldozer because they have too much faces then.

phalanx1.jpg

phalanx2.jpg

Hey, desert rat, your phalanx has given me an idea on how to solve the problem of using many soldiers to perform the phalanx.

These soldiers can have a good first resolution lod, but they are packed together in it. They will together be a single vehicle unit to fight. Players then can use these units the way they would use a tank.

Only need to animate the legs. wink_o.gif