Sign in to follow this  
DBR_ONIX

ArmA Tools

Coulnd't see a similar topic, thus I'm typing this tounge2.gif

Basicly, will addon makers/mods get the mod-tools before the game is released? It would mean people could start using the new tools, upgrading their mods for the new game etc, and it'd hopefully get a few people intersted in addon editing (again, in some cases), as "yey, new tools!" senario tends to get people using them.

Even if no release time-frame is mentioned, even knowing if they will be released before the game, with the game, or after would be usefull.. *Shrugs*

- Ben

Its great how we all disguise our suggestions as questions in the ArAs forum tounge2.gif

But yea i hope they do release addon making tools and such before release so all the addon makers can get on converting ofp addons/improving and making new ones! whistle.gif

Hmmm I just wonder what sense it would make to release the tools prior the ArAs release as noone of the modellers or island builders would be able to test their stuff ingame huh.gif

I guess it will be best if they are released combined or even would be happy if ArAs comes first and then the tools.

I don´t think that every modder would instantly go modding ArAs. I guess most of them will, as we will do, first check out the finished product and then go for modding. At least that would be the logical approach.

I belive many games have released moding tools prior to games releases for example C&C generals.(correct me if im wrong) so that the modders can get to grips with them and learn a few things before the game release, speeding up the ammount of time after release that 3rd party addons are released.

I don´t think that every modder would instantly go modding ArAs. I guess most of them will, as we will do, first check out the finished product and then go for modding. At least that would be the logical approach.

Thats the reason it would be a good idea to release the tools before the game, so people would start on mods, play the game, finish it, and have something to continue on, with new inspiriation tounge2.gif

- Ben

As I understand it, we will continue to use the already available tools.

What's more important, that BIS releases full documentation of every file type of ArmA (wrp, p3d, pbo, bin, texture files) and what's to come.

Thus people should be easily able to update the current tools, or to create better new tools.

I belive many games have released moding tools prior to games releases for example C&C generals.(correct me if im wrong) so that the modders can get to grips with them and learn a few things before the game release, speeding up the ammount of time after release that 3rd party addons are released.

Battlefield 2 released tools before game as well.

Battlefield 2 did not release tools before the game was released, the editor beta has only been out for a few weeks now.

there was alot of complaints because of the time it took for ea to release the editor.

smile_o.gif

As I understand it, we will continue to use the already available tools.

We'll need new tools or at least an update of the old ones if we want to include the newer graphical effects ArAs offers like normal mapping. There's interface in Oxygen at the moment to apply them, so at the very least we should get some plug-ins for this kind of thing.

Battlefield 2 did not release tools before the game was released, the editor beta has only been out for a few weeks now.

there was alot of complaints because of the time it took for ea to release the editor.

smile_o.gif

some game companies do release tools before the release to MOD groups I believe they did that with HL2 but same as Balschoiw said, whats the use when you can't test things or try out things ingame?

generals could never live up to the name Command & Coqnuer.

A few things were released but the map maker n such came with the game already...either that or zero hour had it.

A few days ago Lukáš Soukenka from BIS send me e-mail (reply for my question):

(...)"I hope you will enjoy new Armed Assault and NEW tools to make some maps for addon comunity."(...)

(...)I hope you will enjoy new Armed Assault and new tools to make some maps for addon comunity.(...)

You (or him) couldn't be more vague at this point. crazy_o.gif

(...)"I hope you will enjoy new Armed Assault and NEW tools to make some maps for addon comunity."(...)

Do Panzers Dream of Armored Sheep? icon_rolleyes.gif

generals could never live up to the name Command & Coqnuer.

Sorry for going off topic but... Damn right EA didnt half screw over C&C and westwood by turning it into a lame RTS trying to make money out of the current 'war of terror' situation around the world.

Thats one of the many reasons i hate EA with all my heart

Edit: In an attempt to adviod the iron fists of the mods:

Quote[/b] ]I hope you will enjoy new Armed Assault and new tools to make some maps for addon comunity.

So looks like we will be getting some new tools biggrin_o.gif weather they will be release before,after, or at the same time as ArAs is another question.

If releasing early speeds up the addon release process i am all for it , especially if it helps current addon makers update their addons to ArmA versions.

Besides some mods are taking forever and releasing this stuff early might benefit them (i.e Inv 1944 , its been 3 years tounge2.gifcrazy_o.gif ) , most of their stuff could become obsolete if they find out that they have to redo textures/models again for the ArmA game to spruce the mod up to ArmA graphics level and the things it will support.