Sign in to follow this  
DB-ERAUPilot

enough fictious islands ....

I mean seriously folks...NO ONE USES THEM...how many islands on ofp.cz are NEVER used in a single mission icon_rolleyes.gif the LB's Sinai island and Catshit's Afgan island are in the direction island makers should be goin imho...how about a Colombia, Balkans, Korean, Iranian, Eastern Europe, Taiwan, Phillipines maps..just a thought...

I made 2 Island based on real locations, they're not really used too afaik. smile_o.gif

I guess the reason is that it is difficult trying to get the map accurate. The only way to make it look and feel like some of the areas you mentioned is to make custom buildings/object/folige ect for it. Myself, I have no idea how to make custom objects/addons.

Most addon makers are already in a mod and have no free time to spare. At the moment we have to use what addons are available and subsitute them for the real life objects,I think thats why islands become  "fictious"

maybe places wher ther is or have ben combat is the best way to go

or places wher combat is in a movie or things like that

Berghoff, I've never used your Homeland map but I've definately used the Finish one..theres a couple missions floating around for that one too..it could be because everyone likes the FDF mod as a whole, but anything REALISTIC in the way of maps is much appreciated..im kinda partial to having a Korean, Balkan or Colombian map...

it is realy hard to make islands after real locations

but download wrptool and try to lern making island

I guess the reason is that it is difficult trying to get the map accurate. The only way to make it look and feel like some of the areas you mentioned is to make custom buildings/object/folige ect for it. Myself, I have no idea how to make custom objects/addons.

Most addon makers are already in a mod and have no free time to spare. At the moment we have to use what addons are available and subsitute them for the real life objects,I think thats why islands become "fictious"

That seems resonable....yeah I know it takes alot to make the custom buildings and what not...im just a humble modder of the FS2004 community I don't really have experience in moddin ofp except for the odd mission...it just would be nice to have islands more centered around real locations even if they aren't completely exact...

Yep its very hard to make islands of realistic locations, hell i tried making a scale down version of the UK... once you spend the first hour getting it all in perportion and start smoothing out the coast line your relise how much work you got ahead of you and just give up. confused_o.gif thats why fictious islands are easy because you can just make it up as you go along (thats what i do any way) and be more creative with it, which is good for the more arty types among us biggrin_o.gif

Besides why are you complaining about it, just download wrp tool and make your own real life island wink_o.gif

I dont think people dont make missions for islands because "I've never heard of this, screw that"..

I think they use "islands based on real places" because the creator will have had to research it, find maps, make custom buildings etc, so will have put more effort into it..

I'm sure if someone made an island that doesn't represent a real place, but it was still of a high quality, and (if needed) had custom objects made, a good layout etc, people would make missions for it..

And I think the people who make these islands "that NO ONE EVER EVER USES" will be used by the people that make the islands, quite possibly by friends of said island maker, who quite possibly asked the person if they could make an island that is like {insert description of island "no one uese"}

icon_rolleyes.gif

- Ben

Why don't island makers make real places?

My Answer: There are very few islands in the world that are of the right size to get into Operation Flashpoint. If you happen to find one it is quite hard to get data and find pictures of them. Once you do you have to completely make new models and textures and what not to fit the area which is extremely hard.

If you plan on making a small part of something bigger the second part about the objects and textures still applies plus you have to deal with, "how can I end the map and make it look good, realistic and logical?". Then you also still have the problem of I can't make ditches or any of the small terrain adjustments that really would make a difference in a place like this. It is also hard to make towns on slanted pieces of land which is where a lot of towns are. You will end up with ground sticking through the floor which just looks like crap.

The best you can do is base things off of real places. Unless you have a whole mod team it is quite hard to get all the objects you need to make a real place.

well.. to make a realistic map based on a real world location you would either need a map OR high res satelite photos..

and then ofcourse you need all the custom buildings.... (or atleast buildings that is typical for that area),

and then, it just takes one hell of a time to get everything to look nice...

personally, i like maps based on real world locations... the problem is, ppl tend to only play on maps that look similar to their home area (atleast thats my impression), and im no exeption there..

but i really think making a real world map is worth the effort...

and please, no "scaled down" maps, that NEVER gets good, you would have to make it 1:1 scale, so that you use a area that irl is equaly big as the map you intend to make...

very easy if you got a 1:10000, 1:20000 or 1:50000 scale map, becouse on those maps almost every house should be marked... atleast on 1:10000 scale maps they are, and so is every big rock and stuff like that...

so yes, i totaly agree that real world map locations is the most fun to play on...

we've got a good discussion goin here...again, I know its next to impossible to make an exact copy of any of the nations I originally stated..I guess what I'm gettin at is maps that are more themed after real locations... you can call a map "The Sunni Triangle", base it on that location but no one expects it to be exact just in the spirit of that location..a good example would be the "popular" afgan map...but yeah, yall have got me seeing alot of things I hadn't considered with elevations and whatnot...

I belive that real world locations are possible in the ofp landscape engine, and with the tools now "wrp" island making has gotten a hole lot more fun, and has become more simpler, more of a pick up and go tool.

I think people who choose to make random islands are more popular than realastic islands because of the fact there are few "good island" editors/makers, as the way i see it anyone can place objects down, but not everyone can make a realistic environment using the objects to fit in with the sourindings. I also find that most islands have ridiculously random elevations, i have yet to see a smooth/natural looking island.

And yes people don't want to spend lots of hours finding reference pictures, or making there own textures or models, i think you are only going to find real looking islands in mod teams rather than the solo island maker. If you want to have a realistic island based on a location you are going to need plenty of time, plenty of patience and plenty of eye for detail.

Smiley smile_o.gif

Slavonia Island from what I remember was based on a Balkan area, that is the one map I truly do enjoy using. There is also a map of 'Kosovo' made by a Russian team some time ago, I could be wrong though.

Bushfires was working on a Djibouti map. Due to lack of members we had to put it on hold confused_o.gif

LLW is working on a Bonaire island which is also a real location smile_o.gif

real places with large open fields and grass on them.

with roads like in real life that have 2 driving lanes

and some rocky places in the middle of a field and some trees there

,would be a wonderful mg nest. smile_o.gif and some wild untouched forests that have big bushes and bears in them wink_o.gif

s**t whole Estonia is filled with places like that

Hi,

Besides Bonaire, the LLW islands Leusderheide and Winter Leusderheide made by Wachtmeester are also based on a real location.

To base islands on a real location is, as far as I am concerned, not a prerequisite for a good OFP island. Skilled island makers like Jakerod and Berghoff tend to produce fine locations regardless of being based on real examples or not.

Regards,

Sander

Guest major gandhi

dont forget the islands FLK is working on...

GEEEZZZ ..... the best OFP can do is 25km sqr ( but theres exceptions smile_o.gif ) ...... so how many real ** INTERESTING ** battlefields can you fit that into ? ......... seriously, not many.

So ... these other maps are made to use the _available_ addons and plant them in a landscape thats interesting and varied so that many missions can be developed for its use.

Whos going to download a whole island just to play 1 "real" mission. Now ... if its a large worthy campaign .... fine.

But a good example of a "made-up" island is Sarugao ..... great design, well used by many.