I wish to create my own island.

Which tools should I use?  icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks

-Soviet-

WRPtool

or

Visitor

smile_o.gif

Ive you got WRPtool there is a long long tutorial file that covers everything you need to know. Just read the readme's first... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, its normal. happens every time for me.
An error about missing .p3d can't be normal something is not set-up right in your setting then.

I came, I tried, and I gave up..

i couldnt even get the thing to work lol i coulnt get the objects right couldnt even make land.. huh.giftounge2.gif

WrpTool is very good and as Berghoff said, the tut is all you need.

EDIT ..... you seem to have an old version running !!!

Failing that, try the WrpTool Forum

FORUM

My setup;

wrptoolsetting.jpg

Moving...

In future, please search, and make sure that threadas are created in the appropriate areas.

Ok ok Major Fubar...  whistle.gif

Thank you APSGnat for the information!  smile_o.gif

I solved my first problem, however, I have a new one with the creation of the roads...  huh.gif

IP3.JPG

Can you help me for that one?

Ok, I have WrpTool 0.95... thank you...  thumbs-up.gif

... But I have the same error message when I want create a road...  mad_o.gif

IP4.JPG

Now I want to see my Island in OFP.

I did a 64*64 Truevision TGA picture with Photoshop 9.0 but I dont find the Textview program in OFP...  sad_o.gif

Where I could find it?

Maybe at the very end, Visitor looks to be more close to the real issues.

i use microdem to create real base islands in wrp edit (exporting the dem to XYZ triples, then with height converter to wrpedit), and finally wrptool to place the objects.

i've made a tutorial for how to do that,but becuse it's in greek i have to translate it in english.

(Hellas mod warfare.) biggrin_o.gif

Hey guys.

How can you import real islands to OFP? For example, can you create Falkland islands map which is based on real terrain?

It's quite simple, and as i can hear, there are a lot of different methods.

The method i use requires three steps and it's very easy to use but as far it has the limitation that you can create only 256X256 dimension islands, i haven't figured out how i could create bigger islands since i don't have much free time.

anyway here is a sumary of the steps.

1st) you need microdem, this a free program you can downoloaded from Geocomm you can also find there and a ton of dem files.

2nd) you need the dem files of the area you want to create into an island use the above link for that to.

3rd) you need to convert your dem file to a xyz file (you can also merge/resample etc) your dem to take better resolts. don't worry a bout that i'll send you a tutorial of how you could do that made by me.

4th) this is a bit critical step you have to put your xyz file into the height converter (made by snypir) to make the xyz file into txt file. (you need to do there a lot of tests to find out which one is the best you want). (now i'm trying to make a converter for 512X512 islands but since wrpedit can import only 256X256 islands my effort is wasted until i figured out an othe way.)

5th) now you can import the txt file into wrpedit and make the proper adjustments. then save it in wrp format and you can use it with wrptool too.

(for visitor is an other story but i can tell you how you can do that if you like. )

that's all, if you want more specific help in any step please email me and i'm glad to help you.

PS. check also the OFPEC you can find there a lot of interesting tutorials to help you. i suggest readi ( A soldier's 5 on wrpedit) it's really helpfull tutorial and can make you understand a lot about the wrp file format.

PS. you have you mail private, so if you like me to send you the tutorial of mine please, pm me your email address.

regard.

Sparky

HWM mod Project leader.  yay.gif

It's quite simple, and as i can hear, there are a lot of different methods.

The method i use requires three steps and it's very easy to use but as far it has the limitation that you can create only 256X256 dimension islands, i haven't figured out how i could create bigger islands since i don't have much free time.

anyway here is a sumary of the steps.

1st) you need microdem, this a free program you can downoloaded from Geocomm you can also find there and a ton of dem files.

2nd) you need the dem files of the area you want to create into an island use the above link for that to.

3rd) you need to convert your dem file to a xyz file (you can also merge/resample etc) your dem to take better resolts. don't worry a bout that i'll send you a tutorial of how you could do that made by me.

4th) this is a bit critical step you have to put your xyz file into the height converter (made by snypir) to make the xyz file into txt file. (you need to do there a lot of tests to find out which one is the best you want). (now i'm trying to make a converter for 512X512 islands but since wrpedit can import only 256X256 islands my effort is wasted until i figured out an othe way.)

5th) now you can import the txt file into wrpedit and make the proper adjustments. then save it in wrp format and you can use it with wrptool too.

(for visitor is an other story but i can tell you how you can do that if you like. )

that's all, if you want more specific help in any step please email me and i'm glad to help you.

PS. check also the OFPEC you can find there a lot of interesting tutorials to help you. i suggest readi ( A soldier's 5 on wrpedit) it's really helpfull tutorial and can make you understand a lot about the wrp file format.

Sparky, Thank yor for your very detailed information.

We need a lot of steps for file conversion.

.dem -> .xyz -> .txt wink_o.gif

BTW, do you know the site in which file formats of .xyz and .txt(for wrpedit) are explained? If you know them, you might be able to make a tool which converts .dem into .txt directly. biggrin_o.gif

Well, you said there is another map editor which name is "Vistor ". Does Vistor also supports .txt for input file?

Quote[/b] ]

PS. you have you mail private, so if you like me to send you the tutorial of mine please, pm me your email address.

Thank you. I'll send an E-mail to you later.

Regards,

Pierrot.

My, friend check the name of the forum, "MAP EDITING (VISITOR)", visitor is the name of BIS which they make the OFP islands. Visitor can import ASE files, (to tell you the truth i don't know what ase is), so i never try it.

To be sure, there are tons of dem files out there. But it seems they don't have any information about under the sea level (Many datas seem to define the height of the see as 0m wink_o.gif ). Do you edit the see part of the map in Wrpedit to redefine the sea-floor correctly?

OK, I just have to ask........

Why do you need the seabed to be defined accurately?

Planck

OK, I just have to ask........

Why do you need the seabed to be defined accurately?

Not accurately but have to be defined.

If the depth of water was 0 meter, no ship could sail in the sea xmas_o.gif .

I usually set the minimum and maximum height values when I am saving the lon/lat text file from wilbur.

I sometimes use -3 for minimum value and usually leave the maximum value as it is.

Then when I have the txt file loaded into WrpEdit I can make any minor corrections from there.

Planck

I usually set the minimum and maximum height values when I am saving the lon/lat text file from wilbur.

I sometimes use -3 for minimum value and usually leave the maximum value as it is.

Then when I have the txt file loaded into WrpEdit I can make any minor corrections from there.

Planck

Nice idea. smile_o.gif

You pull the sea level above 3 meters instead of drawing the seabed.

Quote[/b] ]

You pull the sea level above 3 meters instead of drawing the seabed.

No, that will make whatever the minimum height originally was, (usually 0 metres) to -3 metres.

In other words the sea areas will all be at -3 metres.

Planck