Sign in to follow this  
the_shadow

Island editing

Hi everyone...

i couldnt find a thread about how to make a island so i thought i should start one... however, i have no clue how to make island myself, though id be happy to learn.

so, everyone that wants to help ppl to make their own islands or just have questions, please post here.

ok, so i have a question, it´s about the config (im currently fixing a config for a island)

how do i make planes use the runway/airport?

i know you need some sort of coordinates, i also know where to put them (what line to use in the config) BUT, i dont know how to find out what the coordinates are. could anyone enlighten me to this mystery?

please make a step-by-step guide on how to make a runway work for AI, (how to find the coordinates and what to write in the config) so that ppl can simply use this "guide".

how do i make planes use the runway/airport?

i know you need some sort of coordinates, i also know where to put them (what line to use in the config) BUT, i dont know how to find out what the coordinates are. could anyone enlighten me to this mystery?

please make a step-by-step guide on how to make a runway work for AI, (how to find the coordinates and what to write in the config) so that ppl can simply use this "guide".

Here is a list of topics that have information about creating Runways that can be used by AI. yay.gif

still no answer on how you find what coordinates to use...

Read the WrpTool manual, it has pretty close to all the info you need to make basic island.

Read the WrpTool manual, it has pretty close to all the info you need to make basic island.

Yep ............ snakes right notworthy.gif

For the subject of ILS logic, there's a lot more detail at the OFPEC forums. The WRPtool manual just has an overview of the components, but the OFPEC discussion threads go into more detail and practice.

wink_o.gif

well, ive figured out how to get the coordinates now.. thanks all...

BUT i have another problem... AI dont follow the taxi coordinates... it just drives of in a straight northern direction... until it either hits a tree or ends up in the water... i did follow the instructions in a tutorial i found on OFPEC... but.. i dont get it to work anyway..

i think its the ilsTaxiIn and ilsTaxiOut parts i dont fully understand...

the current lines look like this

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ilsPosition[]={5422,2288};

ilsDirection[]={0,0.080000,-1};

ilsTaxiOff[]={5422,2288,"5422,2720","5428,2751","5452,2760","5473,2760","5491,2744","5491,2600"};

ilsTaxiIn[]={"5491,2600","5491,2236","5477,2208","5453,2208","5431,2211","5422,2288"};

so, what is wrong?

the landing point (ilsPosition) works ok (though the planes land some 200 further north then the point ive marked out (2280)

help.gifconfused_o.gifhelp.gif

here is a link for newbies

http://users.pandora.be/timothy_87/

I really don't think most Island creators use WRPedit anymore I've tried it once and placing objects is .. well not done right. WRPtool is far better and then there is Visitor which is the best only lacks easy placement for bridges.

what is the trick behind building a nice bridge, mine allways looks fubar! crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I really don't think most Island creators use WRPedit anymore I've tried it once and placing objects is .. well not done right.

Hmmm.......I still use WrpEdit, I have found no problems placing objects at all.

I admit it can take some fiddling to get the placement right, but it is to my mind good enough to use.

It is a lot more powerful than most people give it credit for, and even better, it produces OPRW format .wrp files just like the ones the game uses.

I find Visitor can be very clunky and temperamental, and WrpTool is only for people with Win2000 or WinXP, so I stick with WrpEdit, no problems at all.

Planck

could anyone help me with my ils problem that i posted before?

planes dont follow the taxi pattern... they just taxi north...

however they land on almost the right spot (ok, so they miss with about 200m (200m far), but that one is not the big problem...

This thread is far from being any useful FAQ for island making,

and more a call for help on implementing runways on islands.

yes, i know.. but my thought when i started this thread was for ppl to ask their island editing questions here... so that we could collect all the questions and anwers in one thread...

There is a whole section on Visitor Here

Im sure you could probably ask a lot about island making there and find help.

The only problem with making a cumulative thread is that there's over a hundred pages in the WRPtool manual alone, plus hundreds of threads between the PMC, BIS Visitor, and OFPEC Island Editing forums. None of which adequately cover some specialized topics such as precision modeling of RL environments, as that tends to be more done privately among the interested parties.

I hear Sniping-Jack gave a presentation at the Mapfact workshop, and I'd be curious to here about that presentation. Full-scale world development also comprises significant aspects of mission design, object modeling, texture management, and all the other aspects of OFP/VBS addon development.

In response to your specific questions about ILS difficulties, there's a number of data bits that the community would need to see in order to properly evaluate the problem. FIrst, the angle/orientation/location of the runway textured cells. Second, the texture names used, and the cfgSurfaces config code if you've renamed the textures. Third, if you're using VBS-style runway objects as opposed to OFP-style terrain textures, the runway object's origin location and orientation. Fourth, the surrounding terrain and elevations, to check for controlled-flight-into-terrain issues arround the runway ends.

the runway is situated in a south - north direction in the middle (well, almost anyway) of a island.

it uses standard BIS textures, same as on Everon, also has a similar layout with the addition of a few taxiway pieces (nothing to do with the config though, they are just there for the looks), the important part (the part AI will use) has a identical layout to the one on Everon, only the runway is a mere 800m long (aproximitly anyway) so it´s a short runway, and that is on purpose.

so, everything (texture names and so on) should be identical to Everon.

oh, and btw, did i say that im not personally making the island? i just make the config, Hornet85 is the one that actually makes the island, using WRP tool