Sign in to follow this  
MKK

AA = DOA

I, like everyone except the dork who started this thread, think AA is a great idea. I should also mention that ANY software company that releases a game by the name of Operation Flashpoint that isn't Operation Flashpoint will suffer irreversible damage.

I would like to encourage a boycott on Codemasters until they release the OFP name to BIS. Although this may never happen, Codemasters is digging their own grave by releasing any game by that name anyway. To be honest, I've never bought or even really looked at any other Codemasters game, and from what I've heard I'm not missing anything.

I would also like to request that a moderator change the name of this thread to 'Codemasters - Doomed?' or something to that effect. Thanks.

Quote[/b] ]

I don't want to rate you by your amount of posts, but I don't think that you know "them" as much as we do.

Well I've been playing the game for a long time now, having LAN parties with self-made missions, reading this forum a lot etc. but not just commenting in it. So what next? My skin color?

Quote[/b] ]

They have been making a more efficient and more functional engine to use with the Xbox ...

Quote[/b] ]

It is not OFPII engine just the OFP engine with less of the problems.

OK, I admit. I withdraw my argument #2. But I think this underlines my argument #3, that they're having problems with Codemasters, they just can't give any upgrades/patches to original OFP anymore and that's the main idea behind AA. Nevertheless we have another packaging for OFP (+bonus island). It's like band who is publishing an anthology/collection (CD with old songs + 1 bonus track for collectors) for the Christmas. Same thing here with AA.

But before you blame me more, don't worry I'm with you buying the new software when it's in the stores (like it or not) and having a good Christmas.

If BI is out of money and they are desperately trying to keep developing the new game, I think they deserve the funding.

Quote[/b] ]

Blaming BIS? You create a thread to blame BIS in their own forums? Ok you are definetly paranoid.

Of course I blame BIS in their own forum. You know, freedom of speech... smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I, like everyone except the dork who started this thread, think AA is a great idea.

I don't bother to comment on this. I can only say that this was and is MY opinion. I can't help you if you don't think like I do.

Okay; truce.  I think we probably agree on most things.

One thing first though:  Playing the race card (however ineffectively or inappropriately) makes your argument weak.

I think that everybody thinks of this AA thing differently, but your analogy about a rock bands 'best of' album is a good one.  From what I can gather, Codemasters became frustrated that BIS was unwilling to comprimise on OFP2's quality, forcing the pushing back of release dates.  Codemasters (and who knows who else) is no longer financing development on OFP2 (BIS now calls it Game 2), and so they are going to use what they have developed thus far, coupled with original OFP technology to release a totally separate title.  This is no doubt to fund the continued development of Game 2, a cause we can all support.

Sorry for calling you a dork, but to create a thread that is obviously made to discourage BIS and incite an argument that we all have to admit we're not informed enough to have... well, you be the judge.

My first post on this board sure wasn't in a new thread that I made, and it sure wasn't intentionally named to piss people off, and surely not the people kind enough to host this awesome board.

I would also like to take this opportunity to reiterate my previous comments about Codemasters.  Imagine if by some legal trick some mediocre company ended up with the 'Adobe' or 'Microsoft' name.  Would they have the audacity to use it to push obvious imitations that can't possibly compete with their originals?  I doubt it.  It would spell their death.  Codemasters should return the OFP rights to BIS.  They've earned it.  If Codemasters is so spiteful that they will not, then they can choose one of two paths:  Drop the OFP name, never use it again, and maybe survive in the industry, or use the name on some other game that will never come close and piss off lots and lots of people worldwide.

WE hold the keys to Codemasters' future, people.  Vote with your wallets.

EDIT: Glad to hear you are buying the game; you've redeemed yourself.

i always wondered how BIS being able to earn moneys, they may made some profit on VBS1 but thats wont be much, well hell i wouldnt mind even if they open up a paypal donation, game developement needs money, and it is highly possible that project AA(sorry for watching and playing too many japeness anime and games) is the way to make funds for the company.

personaly i think the AA idea is great, it iron out some bugs, add something new in it(if not many), lifting the freedom, these could keeps most of the hardcord OFP fans happy while waiting for the mind blowing OFP2(or whatever bis will name it, DAMN CODIE, DAMN THEM ALL!!!) crazy_o.gif

we all belived that BIS wont let us down, hell, we supported them for 4 long years now, and i wont mind a year or two more.

Quote[/b] ]It's like band who is publishing an anthology/collection (CD with old songs + 1 bonus track for collectors) for the Christmas.

And it's actually more like band who is re-recording bunch of their old songs plus couple new ones and releasing it for the christmas wink_o.gif

I have to say I have never understood why people are judged by their post counts... I've been following these forums since it's creation, registered 2002 and have only 100 posts...

So does that make me less of a OFP fan/less dedicated to OFP community rock.gif

Well, maybe I need to start writing all those "Wohoo, great smile_o.gif" comments to get my post count up wink_o.gif

I have to say I have never understood why people are judged by their post counts... I've been following these forums since it's creation, registered 2002 and have only 100 posts...

Well, maybe I need to start writing all those "Wohoo, great smile_o.gif" comments to get my post count up wink_o.gif

I totally agree with you!

(now my post count went up again) biggrin_o.gif

I don't judge people by their post count, unless its 1!

You will see that I registered late and have posted seldom. The reason for this is that my posts are generally several paragraphs long and contain multiple ideas portrayed in complete sentences.

The last post is an example of what not to do.

Would have liked to have heard MKK respond to something loosely linked to the topic of his thread, not immature banter about nothing relavent.

I wasn't 'attacking' you personally...

So first post should then be what if not critical or expressing your own opinnion?

Is there's a certain limit of posts to be reached until you have earned the right to be critical or share your opinnion?

And I'm not referring to this 'case' alone, it has happened before... Not only with people with low post counts, but also with people who have not been registered here for years...

It doesn't mean that if you are a die hard OFP fan you would register here.. I know a few myself...

And, it seems that in here posting your own opinnion when it contradicts the vast majority's opinnion is simply not 'allowed' and results in insults and very often even a flame 'fest'...

Also, a single post length/amount of paragraphs/lines does not always mean the post is worthwhile... (like in the case of this post tounge_o.gif )

In this particular case I think MKK realised the hint of sarcasm I was aiming at...

(I do admit that it's fairly hard to recognise that from a written text...)

But this is drifting into the 'seas of off-topic' and if we continue this ranting for much longer I think we get slapped on the fingers wink_o.gif

Anyway, although MKK is entitled to his/her opinnion of AA being DOA, I do not concur with it for the reasons expressed by many before me...

I will buy it... Even if everyone here would tell me after playing it that it sucks...

(Which is quite impossible equation...)

I don't see any stupidity or harm in releasing AA, and if it helps BIS to gather funds in the pursuit of "OFP2" what would be a better reason for releasing it...

So first post should then be what if not critical or expressing your own opinnion?

Is there's a certain limit of posts to be reached until you have earned the right to be critical or share your opinnion?

You make two good points here, I can only say that someone who makes their first post in a new thread that's named 'AA = DOA - Worst Mistake' at a time when everyone is ecstatic to catch a glimpse of what they've been waiting for all this time must be expecting a flamewar, or at least a thorough argument.

I don't know. People are welcome to post whatever they like, and I don't think anyone should be discouraged from posting for the first time, but really, it's not a very good way to make friends, is it MKK?

Just take ppl how they come..... like joining the service... its not how much they can mouth off .. it more of how much they can destroy???

[offtopic]I guess some thinks there is hierarchy here.

EDIT:

More posts, more expericence with the forums and knowledge of what addons and news there is about

OFP/ArAs/Game 2.[/offtopic]

Well, I think to an extent this is true.

If I start making big statements about the nature of OFP2 or even stuff like making missions or addons, people will look and see that I only have forty-something posts and they will conclude that I haven't involved myself in many conversations on this board.  This to me seems okay, even though I might be a daily visitor to OFPEC.

Conversely, I would be more likely to take stock in what someone says if they have hundreds of posts.

I wouldn't call it a heirarchy, because everyone knows that noobies are sometimes right and hardcore, till-death-do-us-part enthusiasts are sometimes wrong, but I do think it's a fair measure of one's "experience level".

If I felt like I had tons of knowledge and intuition to add to this board, my post count would be much higher.  But the truth is, I seldom have anything intelligent to add to what are most often highly technical or highly knowledge-intensive conversations, and this is reflected by my post count.

It's the fairest system we have, and the only way around it is by making sure that all your posts are clear, well written, and most of all, say something relevant.

BTW, I'm not terribly bothered by this thread or the fact that it was MKK's first post.  In fact, it has bloomed into an interesting conversation regarding the nature of message boards.  Here's a question:  Would you support a Karma system on this board?  I've seen other boards that allow users to Kiss/Slap other users, which then translates into the user's 'Karma' rating.

What would your Karma be?  

I think mine would be positive, and not just because I happen to agree with everyone, but because I explain my points well and my posts are easy to read.  And I'm an all-around good guy.  smile_o.gif

EDIT:  There are over 18,000 members with no posts.  Amazing.  Ruskie has the most with 7961, and bn880 is a distant second with 6504.

ANOTHER EDIT:  It seems that the designers of this board think that your rating should be directly tied to your post count.  This is somewhat unfortunate, IMO.

0-399 = 1 star

400-799 = 2 stars

800-1499 = 3 stars

1500-3999 (guessing here) = 4 stars

4000-? = 5 stars

Quote[/b] ]Here's a question: Would you support a Karma system on this board? I've seen other boards that allow users to Kiss/Slap other users, which then translates into the user's 'Karma' rating.

I actually have not been on a board yet that has the Karma feature so I don't have any experience on it... (although one of 'my' boards probably has that once the software gets updated)

There's a sort Karma feature on these boards, it's just controlled by the moderators tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What would your Karma be?

That would be hard to say because I really have not taken part in any discussions and tend not to...

I also wouldn't always have anything intelligent to add, and my views on certain issues would just cause problems...

Quote[/b] ] It seems that the designers of this board think that your rating should be directly tied to your post count. This is somewhat unfortunate, IMO.

Oh...

I never paid any attention to the stars actually...

At first I wondered what they are used for, but never bothered to look into it..

I really don't see the point in 'rating' people although all boards seem to have a feature of that sort...

I never really pay any attention to post counts...

Quote[/b] ] I can only say that someone who makes their first post in a new thread that's named 'AA = DOA - Worst Mistake' at a time when everyone is ecstatic to catch a glimpse of what they've been waiting for all this time must be expecting a flamewar, or at least a thorough argument.

Sure, but I would think that was the whole idea...

When somebody posts something that is his/her opinnion they most likely do it to make their point heard and to see whether there are others that think the same...

And surely they know when their opinnion is very different from the majority they will get people worked up..

And yes, probably not the best way to start on some forums...

"Judge me by my postcount do you??"

(Not many people here that has doubled their 4 years of posting in one week!! biggrin_o.gif)

On the topic again....i´ve had OPF since first day and dl´d all patches the day they were released.

That is "addiction", and for something to be addicting it has to be good...really good and BIS has not once let me down.

Unlike several other "sim" oriented shooters through the years..

Off topic: Post count sucks a bit...makes ppl post just to get it up. I've been here since 2002. Was at OFPEC even longer than here (since end of 2001 I think). I've always been around, though I don't post too much...

On topic: No matter what BIS does...if they make a new game based on OFP, and makes expansion packs for it, I'll buy them...As long as it's OFP, and as long as the last OFP game didn't suck, I'll buy the next one. Not only to support BIS, but because I trust BIS, and expect them to give me a good game that I'll have a lot of fun with. I've got a lot of games, belive me...but I usually only plays 2 different games a day: OFP and Football Manager 2005 (of course, most OFP). It's cause, playing other games is so boring compared to a good game of OFP biggrin_o.gif Only play other FPS games when I want to have some fun without thinking too much...

Post counts mean nothing. Its not how many times you post, its what you have to say that counts. Just because you shout the loudest does not mean you have the strongest argument.

The wise usually listen and then act upon what they have learnt - the stupid usually speak often and learn little. biggrin_o.gif

Marshal Law

TNT League Owner

http://www.tntleague.com

I totally agree with you!

(now my post count went up again)  biggrin_o.gif

Wohoo great!  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Now seriously. Of course the post count is no proof of competency nor loyalty to this game. Nor is there any reason why one shouldnt have the right to start his first thread with criticism of BIS.

However you must understand that even OFP1 started with the same problems you mentioned before. OFP was actually a full mess when it came out. Worse than the most dangerous e-mail viruses!

But this game isnt and never was successful because of the stability but because of the opportunities this game has to offer. And as long as there is no substitute product on the market we will remain loyal. Even if the following AA only offers a limited amount of improvements.

So see it this way. Currently there is OFP, just OFP.. nothing else. In the coming year there will be AA, which is an advanced version of OFP, nothing else than AA.

So what do you have to chose from? Stick with OFP or chose better AA.

We are willing once again to buy a game that is fully bugged for the exchange of not getting a mainstream product.

But who sais it will be bugged? And who sais those bugs wont dissapear during the first 2 patches?

Funny....I went here to read some stuff on AA=DOA and get a lengthy portion of "mine is bigger than yours" rock.gif

I guess we should better get back on the issue before the mods get the broom and wipe the thread to death...

Funny....I went here to read some stuff on AA=DOA and get a lengthy portion of "mine is bigger than yours"

Hardly. We were just discussing the way people percieve one another here. Notice that those involved in the contest you refer to (myself included) are exchanging thoughts civilly and intelligently, and most of us have very few posts. Sure it's off topic but did we really expect this thread to be a serious discussion on why nobody will buy AA?

Unless there's a point to this thread and a purpose for it to continue in the AA forums it will be closed, so I'd suggest getting back on topic and staying on topic smile_o.gif

I think Armed Assualt is a canny move by BIS.

1. Keeps the exsisitng community happy and tide over till "ofp2"

2. Reawakens new interest in the franchise.

3. Draws away from the now unusable by BIS Operation Flashpoint brand.

Bis can now cement a new name for the realistic war sim franchise by releasing OFP 1.5 under a different name, which they then can carry over to "OFP2" - Armed Assault 2 anyone???

I think Armed Assualt is a canny move by BIS.

1. Keeps the exsisitng community happy and tide over till "ofp2"

2. Reawakens new interest in the franchise.

3. Draws away from the now unusable by BIS Operation Flashpoint brand.

Bis can now cement a new name for the realistic war sim franchise by releasing OFP 1.5 under a different name, which they then can carry over to "OFP2" - Armed Assault 2 anyone???

I completly agree with you on that smile_o.gif

After all the modern equipment provided my the community addons I welcome an official modern war release from BIS.

I will keep OFP loaded on my machine far into the future, even when they release OFP3 and 4. Having the best military simulation available to the general public upgraded in graphics and features is very welcomed by this OFP fan. They could have made us wait for OFP2 and left 1.96 just like it is. I don't care how many retail boxes I end up with. $50, $60, or $70 dollars for years of enjoyment and entertainment is a good investment.

Yes. I think AA is really a PERFECT solution. Keeps everyone happy.

Or maybe they could have done something different:

If BIS had said "OFP2 will be called Armed Assault", and had introduced the real OFP2 as "Armed Asault 2", we would not have had any bull**** topics like this one.

wink_o.gif