Sign in to follow this  
Billabong81

Guild Wars

First off, I have never played any MMORPG's simply because of the monthly payments many require. I heard about a game called Guild Wars, an MMORPG w/o the monthly fees, so I decided to try it. Boy, am I happy I did biggrin_o.gif. Guild Wars is a terrific game, although I have only been playing for 1 day. It is extremely addictive and has some very good quests/missions. Anyone else have this title and if so, are you in a guild?

First off, I have never played any MMORPG's simply because of the monthly payments many require. I heard about a game called Guild Wars, an MMORPG w/o the monthly fees, so I decided to try it. Boy, am I happy I did biggrin_o.gif. Guild Wars is a terrific game, although I have only been playing for 1 day. It is extremely addictive and has some very good quests/missions. Anyone else have this title and if so, are you in a guild?

Uhm, at least the german website still talks about the need to order (I.e. 'buy') a key to play...

I'm not sure, but I think this might be the one that is free because they managed to work advertising into the product. Not sure though. I read there was going to be free MMORPGs coming because of inserted advertising, which made the monthly fee unnecessary.

Quote[/b] ]Retail Price: $49.99

Monthly Fee: Free

Calling that 'free' is a wee bit on the wrong side. They don't even have a free trial where you can check it out first. 50 quid is 50 quid - I prefer free clients with a trial and low monthly fees. I played EVE Online for a while and having the chance to play for two weeks gave me the insight I needed to know that I'd actually like the game enough to pay for a few months more.

Indeed, MMORPGs should be the opposite of Guild Wars, no initial costs and monthly fees. Clients can be transferred over the internet and monthly fees make sure the devs actually keep improving the product.

I didn't play it myself but I know some people that just started to play it and they like it very much. I thought about playing it too but I'm not sure yet.

:/ They should really release a DEMO or Trail of some sort screens and movies don't tell me very much....

Is it PvP or like Diablo, a bit co-op style?

It's both. It has an absolutely great roleplaying mode, and a just as good player vs player mode. The role playing mode has explorable areas where you and some friends can go out and just kill things and explore the massive landscapes of guildwars. There are also cooperative missions where you and a group of people work together to complete it and advance further into the game. The role playing mode also has some PvP arenas. I got this game a few weeks ago, and i love it.

The PvP mode is good also, you can create a character that starts off at lvl 20 and then just use it for only PvP. I don't play PvP as much as i do roleplayiong, but it is also really fun.

and hooahman, I am the leader of a guild called Deaths List. If you would like to join it then just tell me what your in game name is and i will send you an invite to join.

I wouldn't call it MMORPG though, as it is missing the Massive part of it. What I saw from it while playing it with my friends account, most of the battles were max 10vs10 which I hardly could call massive...

Not that we have technology infrastructure to support really massive online games right now... World of Warcraft has some potential but forget about any 200+ player raids unless you have 1GB of RAM and at least 2M/512k ADSL.. But if you can afford it, it is truly sweet - now if they only could tone down that comic book look of WoW...

Quote[/b] ]Retail Price: $49.99

Monthly Fee: Free

Calling that 'free' is a wee bit on the wrong side. They don't even have a free trial where you can check it out first. 50 quid is 50 quid - I prefer free clients with a trial and low monthly fees. I played EVE Online for a while and having the chance to play for two weeks gave me the insight I needed to know that I'd actually like the game enough to pay for a few months more.

They have had many free beta trials, E3 a year ago they had a week long trial and they have had many since.

I was wondering if anyone has got this game since the last post?

And for that you must dig out a 6 year old thread?