Sign in to follow this  
Pappy Boyington

Mobile Flashpoint

question for laptop users smile_o.gif

how many of you take OFP on the go with you?

here i am sitting at work (Security Gaurd) typing up this message. a lil over 2 hours ago i was playing some OFP: Y2K3 with decent frame rates. using a combo of kegs hisky and unsung skys. playing some tank battles and helos and more smile_o.gif

but anyway i heard horror stories of the imjpossibility of OFP on a laptop. and i know Y2K3 aint the most frame freindly mod either, but i can play it all beautifuly.

so anyway heres my specs, and im curious as to your laptop specs if you play OFP on it.

AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8GHz Processor

Integrated UniChromeâ„¢2 graphics

512 RAM

60GB Hard Drive

15" XGA TFT LCD screen

and naturaly an 802.11 b/g wireless LAN connected to a hotspot in bruegers bagels (free) running 11Mbps biggrin_o.gif

My grandparents bought my laptop for me as a high school graduation present.  I currently use it like a desktop here at school, and just got back into OFP to pass the time between essays and the weekends.  I have an Intel P4 2.8GHz with 384 Mb of RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500C.  OFP with Y2K3 runs fine for me.  The only real hurdle for me was getting a real keyboard and mouse to hook up to it.  I had an old PS/2 mouse and keyboard and got a USB adapter for them to hook to my laptop, and it plays better than my home PC (doesn't really say much since my home PC is garbage.)  Anyway, can't complain performancewise.

i struggle on my laptop playing ofp, only when i try load too mant addons, lacj of ram which shud b sorted as im gonna get sum more for it smile_o.gif

Specs:

Mobile AMD 4

995Mhz

256Mb RAM

Onboard graphics SiS 740

It runs just ok, though i bought it for uni, i wish i invested more and got one faster rock.gif

I've been running OFP for about two years on my laptop...got it for my birthday and it was supposed to just be for college work wink_o.gif

Compaq Presario 2100

Athalon 1.5 ghz

512 RAM, 64 of which goes to graphics right off the top mad_o.gif

40gb HD

With terrain detail at very low and view distance around 1000, it plays without problems. I adjusted the view distance up to 1200, normal detail, and loaded up EECP, and it stuttered enough to make me go back to plain old OFP.

I'm thinking of doubling my RAM, but I'm wavering on it since it's going to cost me like 200 bucks and I'm a little short on scratch...such is college life.

Doest OFP with new addons in all its glory suck on these Integrated Graphic solution? rock.gif

I mean my present Geforce 4 440 mx is ok but struggles in high viewdistances and i cant play with AA or AF on and dxdll well it isnt even compatible with my card sad_o.gif

Oh and while were on the subject can anyone tell me is there any possiblity of linking an external VGA card to a laptop since al laptops come with the crappiest inbuilt VGA's which arent much use for modern games. Pure old vanilla OFP might be good and playable but new addons i doubt it would look good.

Oh and while were on the subject can anyone tell me is there any possiblity of linking an external VGA card to a laptop since al laptops come with the crappiest inbuilt VGA's which arent much use for modern games. Pure old vanilla OFP might be good and playable but new addons i doubt it would look good.

My dad's laptop comes with ATI Radeon 9200m. Can't say it's high end, but I wouldn't say it's crappy too. OFP runs really well on it (prolly thanks to 512MB RAM, too). I've also played the latest Unreal Tournament on it without any problems.

I've never heard about external VGA cards for laptops. sad_o.gif

I have my laptop for about 6 months now, and to be honest, I haven't tried OFP on it yet (shame on me tounge_o.gif) I guess OFP should run sort of properly on my laptop though. smile_o.gif

Anyway, my specs:

Pentium M 1.7ghz

Mobility Radeon 9700 128mb

15" SXGA+ display

512mb DDR

60GB 7200rpm

lap here aswell

fujitsu siemens amilo d 8830

2.8 ghz

512mb ram (going to extend to 1024)

ati 9000 mobility 64mb

60gb hd

its a pretty powerful machine

(doom3 was pretty smooth)

i bought it after 6 months of a maggi-ravioli diet :S

/waits for Avon's laptop stories  xmas_o.gif

Well, there's the one where my boys took out my laptop at an airport, while we waited over an hour for our luggage. I realized what was about to happen and managed to hit the mute button before they fired off their PK on full sound.

Similarly, I reported recently about someone here who linked to a spec page for some machine gun, that when you go to the page, it plays a real sounding clip of the gun firing. Had many of my office coworkers here jump out of their seats. Wasn't fast enough this time on the mute button.

And then I sometimes remotely manage the company director's email on my machine and handle the responses for some of his email. Sometimes, in between handling those, I also respond to my own OFP related emails but I forget to change the default address. I always find out about those the next day when big boss forwards me some OFP fan mail that's hit his inbox. Has happened about 4 or 5 times over the last few years. He's not a happy pappy. crazy_o.gif

My relatively new rig: Dell Inspiron XPS notebook, 3.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD, ATI Radeon 9800 Mobility 256MB, 1920x1200 wide-screen. Gloat. Gloat.

compaq presario r3000  

intel celeron

512 mb memory

40gb harddisk

ati mobility radeon 9000 igp

got it for about 6 months now and i only recently installed ofp on it and it runs exelent on it smile_o.gif

so now when i got nothing to do on my work i start playing ofp (but i need to keep the volume down as i work on the dutch international airport :P )

(you can imagine what that does out there when i play it on full volume tounge_o.gif )

Quote[/b] ]ATI Radeon 9800 Mobility 256MB

I didnt know that such high end GFX cards were not appearing in Laptops wow_o.gif , hows the graphical performance avon? Improvements ? Have you tried comparing it to the desktop version , is their any difference in performance between the two?

Quote[/b] ]ATI Radeon 9800 Mobility 256MB

I didnt know that such high end GFX cards were not appearing in Laptops  wow_o.gif  , hows the graphical performance avon? Improvements ? Have you tried comparing it to the desktop version , is their any difference in performance between the two?

I fly like an eagle and sting like a bee! tounge_o.gif

For a slighter faster and nastier portable, check out Voodoo's Envy m:790.

I fly like an eagle and sting like a bee! tounge_o.gif

Don't you mean butterfly, not eagle wink_o.giftounge_o.gif.

See what happens after getting punched in the head all your life?! crazy_o.gif

Guest major gandhi

I bought a laptop after christmas. OFP runs pretty good on it. I usually take it to my workplace since you always have some freetime as an ambulance man waiting for the next mission.

specs:

Cebop Top

15.4" WXGA TFT-Color-LCD, 1280 x 800 pixel

Intel® Pentium M 725 - 745, FSB 400, 2MB L2 Cache

Intel® 855PM

DDR 333 SO-DIMM, 2 Steckplätze, 1 GB

ATI Radeon 9700 mit 256 MB DDR RAM

80 GB hard disk