Sign in to follow this  
Rhodite

Project UK Forces

The Chally you working on,will it have its own interior,or will it be the Abrams.

Based on UKFs long insistance of taking an age to make all our kit as accurate and as true to life as we possibly can...Take a guess biggrin_o.gif

The Chally you working on,will it have its own interior,or will it be the Abrams.

find some pictures, and we'll produce biggrin_o.gif

UKF saw a convoy on the m5 yesterday there was a pulse a bedford recovery and repari lorry a landrover 110 and another bedford but i dont know what it was it had a large back on it like a portacabin any ideas what it was?

Seriously does those trucks still drive? You've got so a modern army but this looks real pathetic crazy_o.gif

But all the other UKF stuff is top notch! notworthy.gif

The Bedford MK trucks are the sort of trucks that, with the right maintenance, will run until doomsday.

They might not look too pretty, but they do the job wink_o.gif

The Bedford MK trucks are the sort of trucks that, with the right maintenance, will run until doomsday.

i totally agree whith you dead ... navy seals if you were near one of those things its like the modern day equivilent to a lorry t34 and it wasnt any of those pics it was that sort of sixe but the container was flush sided

I think that quote can represent all British kit. wink_o.gif

I think that quote can represent all British kit. wink_o.gif

Much as I'd love to agree, I cant...

More recent "British" products (there havent really been any true British military products for a while, its all consortiums of European or American companies) have sucked some serious ass.

SA80 (prior to the Germans getting their hands on it)

Tornado (ok, so that was made with the Germans, Italians and Spanish, but still)

to name but a few.

We're unbeatable when it comes to wheeled vehicles tho, the Landrover has been going strong for 50 years and the MK is getting close to that too...

Yeh totally agree with you, but like you said in terms of "infantry" based kit, such as vehicles they have been going since the 70's and onwards. I think the motto is "If it ain't broken don't fix it"

But don't quote me on that tounge2.gif

Nick

(PS i do not claim to be a military expert so before the air chair experts come along, please don't have a google search engine battle) firefoxlover.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

SA80 (prior to the Germans getting their hands on it)

Tornado (ok, so that was made with the Germans, Italians and Spanish, but still)

The SA80 and H&K thing is a common misconception.  H&K only redesigned the magazines.  BAE Systems bought H&K lock stock and smoking barrels.  They were already changing the design prior to the manufacturing being switched to H&K (mainly because they closed down part of the small arms plant at Nottingham them made the SA80.)

The Tornado to 15 years to work out all the bugs and now even the Luffewaffe are flying around with the mods BAe suggested and with most of the parts made by BAe.

As for British Wheeled Vehicles being the best?  I take it you've never owned or driven a Leyland/LDV Sherpa?  You cant got 2 minles without something dropping off.

banghead.gif

Seriously does those trucks still drive? You've got so a modern army but this looks real pathetic  crazy_o.gif

But all the other UKF stuff is top notch!  notworthy.gif

AFAIK it's mostly TA and support regiments that drive around in Bedfords nowadays. Line units usually have Leyland DAFs which are slightly more modern, if a little less robust. Similar to how TA units still have a lot of Defenders, where the rest of our forces have Wolfs for the most part.

The whole truck fleet's being replaced by MAN vehicles like the Germans have, when the Beddies and DAFs have fallen apart. Which they have been for a while, but they're very easy to fix and we still have loads of spares for them. Same reason we're still using Saxons: they share a lot of parts with Beddies.

As for the box on the back of the Bedford, if it has smooth sides it may have been a signals or radar operation vehicle.

The SA80 and H&K thing is a common misconception. H&K only redesigned the magazines. BAE Systems bought H&K lock stock and smoking barrels. They were already changing the design prior to the manufacturing being switched to H&K (mainly because they closed down part of the small arms plant at Nottingham them made the SA80.)

I see...

The Tornado to 15 years to work out all the bugs and now even the Luffewaffe are flying around with the mods BAe suggested and with most of the parts made by BAe.

Indeed, a good friend of mine works as a grease monkey on Tonkas at Boscomb Down, says they go unservicable on the flight line (about to take off) 2 or 3 of every 5-7 flights. That and 5 mins flying time generates 5 hours of maintenance time tounge2.gif (exaggeration, but you get the point)

As for British Wheeled Vehicles being the best? I take it you've never owned or driven a Leyland/LDV Sherpa? You cant got 2 minles without something dropping off.

Touché is all I'm gonna say to that one crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]RockofSL,June 14 2006,21:17]The Tornado to 15 years to work out all the bugs and now even the Luffewaffe are flying around with the mods BAe suggested and with most of the parts made by BAe.

Indeed, a good friend of mine works as a grease monkey on Tonkas at Boscomb Down, says they go unservicable on the flight line (about to take off) 2 or 3 of every 5-7 flights. That and 5 mins flying time generates 5 hours of maintenance time tounge2.gif (exaggeration, but you get the point)

The ones at Boscombe are still Gr.1s and F.2 aren't they? In other word's they're ancient.

Guest RKSL-Rock
The ones at Boscombe are still Gr.1s and F.2 aren't they? In other word's they're ancient.

There is one RAF GR1 left flying as far as I know but i think thats may get retired soon its still in the Rasberry Ripple scheme. There as still some Saudi GR.1s around (two at Warton atm) but there arent any F2s left flying anywhere - all the airframes were upgraded ages a go as far as i know.

As far as Army vehicles go, all I will say is REME are a credit to the Army!

Some newer widely used kit is comming through.

Pinzgauer, Reynolds Broughton and The Hagglund BV206 to name but three.

There is one RAF GR1 left flying as far as I know but i think thats may get retired soon its still in the Rasberry Ripple scheme. There as still some Saudi GR.1s around (two at Warton atm) but there arent any F2s left flying anywhere - all the airframes were upgraded ages a go as far as i know.

Indeed, the sole Gr.1 is part of the ETPS (Empire Test Pilots School) at Boscombe, but afaik they're gonna keep it flying until it falls out of the sky or completely falls apart on the flightline tounge2.gif (as they do with the other airframes at ETPS)

As for the other airframes, they are regularly upgraded (these are the QuinetiQ testbeds after all (yeah like that means jack rofl.gif ) ) with swanky new parts, new engines and the sort. But they still fall apart every five mins crazy_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
yawn

biggrin_o.gif

Ok so what are the Reynolds Broughtons used for then?