Sign in to follow this  
king homer

M1A2 SEP

We'll first finish the SEP Project, then we can think about that TUSK version. wink_o.gif

A TUSK version? mmmm that sounds very very interesting wink_o.gif

In case you haven't seen this before.

No harm done if you have though.  wink_o.gifhmm?

Hey Gordy thanks for the pic. I´ve already seen it but thank you very much anyway wink_o.gif

I have heard the Isreali LAHAT is compatable with the M256 gun, as well. Of course, there's been a need to equip the Abrams with an ATGM capability for years. Recent projects included the Extended Range Munition [ERM]

XM1007 Tank Extended Range Munition (TERM), and X-ROD.

I'm guessing by th looks of it, the MRM is the latest incarnation of X-ROD.

But at the rate they're going, they might as well start fitting a THEL to the turret.

I dont exactly know what it is, but something like the bradley maybee??? Cuz the idea of like a launcher that could extend upwards and maybee even like 2 meters to fire when your masked behind something...

Think of mast mounted sight on the Fennek, that idea but offcourse with different stuff...

Then it comes back down and the launcher tube it then loaded either automatically or via a hatch from the inside... just an idea not for this addon...

I dont exactly know what it is, but something like the bradley maybee??? Cuz the idea of like a launcher that could extend upwards and maybee even like 2 meters to fire when your masked behind something...

Think of mast mounted sight on the Fennek, that idea but offcourse with different stuff...

Then it comes back down and the launcher tube it then loaded either automatically or via a hatch from the inside... just an idea not for this addon...

rock.gifrock.gif

Eh, MBT can fire ATGM's out of their main gun if the right ammo (missile) is developed for it.

The russian tanks already have ATGM, although I don't know how often it's used

I know that... But I think it will have some advantages over shooting that stuff out of the barrel.. the rocket has to be the size of a shell to fit into the gun...

I know that... But I think it will have some advantages over shooting that stuff out of the barrel.. the rocket has to be the size of a shell to fit into the gun...

Now you are talking like you want to design a new tank. Something like this can't be used in this addon, since it's simply sci-fi.

Although I must admit that an external missile unit may have some advantages. But in that case, why don't just make it a missile tank and give it stingers (or a future SAM missile). This will make it much more effecitve.

Or perhaps somthing like these;

http://www.gdls.com/images/icv_final_1.jpg

http://www.gdls.com/images/c2v_final_1.jpg

http://www.gdls.com/images/mcs_final_2.jpg

FCS-T and FCS-W? Looks nice. wink_o.gif

When I post here link to article about TUSK I did not want SEP program delay. Just one more version in incoming addons. Nice, that SEPmakers thinks about TUSK after the next SEP addon version would be published smile_o.gif

wow Frostbite what are those models, thats computer animated I take it... looks nice man did you make that?

And about the abrams yes I also just wanted to post meh ideas and not tell the addon makers what to do or anything...

It really wouldn't make any sense to delay the update of the SEP Abrams, because of the TUSK update. They are really used for two different missions. The current version of INQ's/Homers M1A2 SEP should be a dedicated land-superiority tank-destroyer. This would be representitive of the Abrams used by the 4th ID anti-tank MBT's.

Once the battlefield is fully owned by the Abrams ( IRL ) and armored threats are neutralized, another variant used for counter-insurgency, urban operations is needed.

Any of the variants of M1, (including the early variants armed with the 105mm cannon) equipped with the TUSK modifications, would be awesome for a dedicated urban armored-assault vehicle. Actually, even an M60 or M8 AGS, equipped with an updated urban combat kit might be even better. The Abrams gas turbine engine is better suited for tank on tank combat, where high speed is a necessity.

In the counter-insurgency, urban warfare role, a cooler-burning, more fuel-efficient diesel engine pack makes more sense.

And, an M60 could carry more ammo, with types already specialized in anti-personel, and anti-material roles for bunker/barriers/emplacements.

The M1A2 SEP should have a different ammo loadout, focusing on anti-tank warfare. Perhaps it would carry 24 APSFDS, 10 M830A1 HEAT, and as many as 10 STAFF missiles, in place of APAM.

The M1* TUSK might carry M830A1, and APAM in place of M829A2(A3) and STAFF.

So, the mod team really can ( and probably will ) produce the TUSK after the release of the the updated SEP.

Thats all nice and good, but the US Army doesn't use any of the M60 variants any longer. That tank is very old and no longer in production. Only Israel, Egypt, and Jordan are still doing modifications and upgrades of it. As far as I know, the US Army isn't buying any foreign made MBT's or heavy APC's.

What we will probably see in the future is either a Abrams based diesel engined heavy IFV or an entirely new heavy APC.

The primary requirement for urban operations is simply that it protect its occupants from man carried anti-tank rockets up to the tandem-warhead RPG-7VR. The challenge is that it requires almost 360 degree protection. This is best done by a combination of heavy armor and 2nd generation ERA.

The uparmored Bradleys (with ERA) do a decent job at this, however, they are still vulnerable on the front, top, and rear.

Also usually for most urban operations, a good auto cannon is all that is needed along with a coxial cannon...both preferably on a remote turret operated from inside the tank. Rafael makes excellent remote turrets of this type.

For the rare instances where you need a much heavier cannon (like to take out a building) you just call in a one of the TUSK tanks. The TUSK I don't think is meant to act as seperate tanks to regular M1A1/A2's. It is simply a field upgrade kit. It also doesn't take away any of its anti-tank capability. If anything it gives the M1 increased survivability against other tanks and modern top attack ATGM's. As for how the upgrade effects mobility I'm not sure.

But any rate, it wouldn't make economic sense to field two types of the same tank when both anti-tank and urban combat fire support can be done with one tank using an upgrade kit...which is what TUSK is.

However for the purpose of this game, I agree that the SEP pack should be released and then later on a TUSK version could be added as an update. But that's up to the addonmakers whether they want to do that or not.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

wow Frostbite what are those models, thats computer animated I take it... looks nice man did you make that?

And about the abrams yes I also just wanted to post meh ideas and not tell the addon makers what to do or anything...

Nope. I wished it were my models. The are from the General Dynamics Lands Systems website. It are concept-models (or artist-impressions) of vehicles from the Future Combat Sytems vehicle series.

Hi, if im not wrong... when a M1A1 or M1A2 main turret receive a strong enought impact, the upper back side pannels on the turret blow up. I don't know if this is for reduce the pressure inside the tank, but i don't care; could be possible to simulate that when the gun barrel gets a certain amount of dammage? or when the turret get's it?; something kinda like the turret of the PSC BTR-T's but not the same (there blow off the entire turret) i mean just those 2 pannels in the top of the M1A1/A2 turret; that'll be a very fanzy of see when the tank turret it's disabled. Just was an idea that i had afther disable some M1's A2 with a single missile hit of the VIT BMD3M 1.0. Let's cu.

Quote[/b] ]wipman Posted on Mar. 16 2005,14:09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, if im not wrong... when a M1A1 or M1A2 main turret receive a strong enought impact, the upper back side pannels on the turret blow up. I don't know if this is for reduce the pressure inside the tank

It's to protect the crew in case of an explosion in the ammo magazine.

The loader has a knee operated switch that slides the heavy door open to get each round for the main gun.  The panels should direct the majority of a blast up and away from the crew (hate to be the test dummy during THOSE trials)

Well when I followed the M1A1 trhrough testing phase we used animals for the testing. Lab rabbits and Bodies turned over for research. Usualy stuck in the crew postions and a camara set to monitor the effects. Kinda intersting when something actually penitrated the hull and blew the crap out of the crew station.

what you mean when you say "interesting"? do the rabbits blow up? rock.gif

what you mean when you say "interesting"? do   the rabbits blow up?  rock.gif

No matter how much you tried

to blow them up or just to fry

one couple always survives wink_o.gif

Any hot news from SEP`s battlefield?

Sry for lack of news, I was in hospital for 5 days now.... broke my leg ... maybe I've now some more time to work on the beauty.

Excellent news! errrr sorry about the leg wink_o.gif

something on the front in arabic!! like go F*** yourself! blues.gif

and on the turret Falluhjah thunder! wow_o.gif