Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

World's talest bridge!

Yes it's beautyful; taler than the Eiffel Tower and designed by Sir Norman Foster the greatest architect of today!

I'm not normaly fascinated by gigantic structures, and how can I be? After all the oilplatforms in the north sea put pretty much everything in the shadow! However, this bridge is not only an architectural and engineering masterpiece, but it's also stunningly beautyfull!

Inaugurated by President Jacques Chirac.

FRANCE-TRANSPORT-BR_244786g.jpg

Evening picture

FRANCE_TALLEST_BRID_244784g.jpg

_1085623_jpg_244785g.jpg

FRANCE-TRANSPORT-BR_244781g.jpg

FRANCE-TRANSPORT-BR_244782g.jpg

And the last but not the least picture

FRANCE-TRANSPORT-BR_244800g.jpg

I had the same feeling as you guys did when first viewing it. Normally large structures tend to be really ugly in my view, specially when build in recent decades. But this gigantic bridge looks really nice, particularly in some pictures they showed with fog underneath it.

You know, everyone says "oh what a beautiful bridge/building/whatever" but you never hear anyone say "my god, that tunnel is gorgeous".  Tunnels can be beautiful too you know, sure you cant see their beauty, but its there, on the inside.

How long before someone jumps off it? I give it a week before some nut jumps off with a parachute.

How long before someone jumps off it? I give it a week before some nut jumps off with a parachute.

It's already planned but ... shhh ;)

just kidding tounge_o.gif

You know, everyone says "oh what a beautiful bridge/building/whatever" but you never hear anyone say "my god, that tunnel is gorgeous".  Tunnels can be beautiful too you know, sure you cant see their beauty, but its there, on the inside.

crazy_o.gif right....lol

It looks cool, same as you all said. Architecture doesn't fascinate me, but this bridge looks pretty cool IMO.

Quote[/b] ]You know, everyone says "oh what a beautiful bridge/building/whatever" but you never hear anyone say "my god, that tunnel is gorgeous". Tunnels can be beautiful too you know, sure you cant see their beauty, but its there, on the inside.

Sure tunnels can be beautiful! This one - "the Lćrdals tunnel" is not only the world's longest tunnel 24,5 km - but also without doubt the most beautyful too!

The tunnel has several "open spaces" decorated with special lights to make the motorists brake up from a feeling of monotoni which of course is the most dangerous thing in a tunnel.

Here's some pictures:

538.jpg

Tunnel02-2.jpg

Very nice bridge wow_o.gif

I wonder how much weight those outer wires(?) are holding to make them so straight  smile_o.gif

Oh somebody already did it during construction:

clicky

Quote[/b] ]In order to avoid bridge security, the 34-year-old skydiver climbed a 230-meter-high column unsecured in the middle of the night.

wow_o.gif

5.jpg

Quite beautiful architecture.

Here are a few other examples of Foster's work:

London:

tall8.jpg

arch177.gif

Glasgow:

arma-240.jpg

And of course, the very much debated addition to the Reichstag in Berlin:

arch_fster_reichstag.jpg

21790.jpg

It'd be awesome to ride a bike across that, do they have to close it for high winds?

The building in the third picture is the mayor of Londons office, it wasnt that well recieved really.

I wonder if Calatrava could have done a much better job,

He must of had a proposal in there somewhere.

Then again maybe Foster's design worked better with whatever budget was available.

Calatrava's bridges are much sexier though IMHO. eg:

volantin8.jpg

volantin3.jpg

calatrava%20turtle%20bay%201a.jpg

33A.jpg

I watched a documentary on the building of this bridge on Discovery Channel a few weeks ago. Some pretty hi-tech stuff.

I've recently realized that I enjoy architecture much more than other forms of art. I suppose it has something to do with size, the public nature of a building, and functionality - you use a building. You don't use a painting. You have to go to a museum to see a painting, or a painting can be bought by a private collecter. A building or bridge or other structure is inheirently public.

It's very easy to do poorly (look at the architecture of the '50s and 60s, when function prevailed over personality and innovation) but when it's done right, it can take your breath away.

It probably helps that I was born and raised in Chicago... one of the architectural capitals of the world. smile_o.gif

Looks very nice from afar. I hope it is not rushed up and collapses like that airport terminal some time ago. wow_o.gif

I'm worried about someone jumping off WITHOUT a prarchute. sad_o.gif

That would probably be a pretty exciting way to end your life.

With enough time to change your mind...

Hmmm

I once had this excursion for geography, we went to see some mines and stuff like that.  And in one of those mines, some guys had a little accident and they fell down 1km  crazy_o.gif

Now that's scary stuff

Ok if you commit suicide then you want to die (if you don't change your mind while falling) but not wanting to fall at all and then going down 1 full km...   crazy_o.gif

autch  sad_o.gif

Hmmm

I once had this excursion for geography, we went to see some mines and stuff like that. And in one of those mines, some guys had a little accident and they fell down 1km crazy_o.gif

Now that's scary stuff

Ok if you commit suicide then you want to die (if you don't change your mind while falling) but not wanting to fall at all and then going down 1 full km... crazy_o.gif

autch sad_o.gif

That's kinda funny, but horrible. Damn that must suck. Very much...

Was it dark? Imagine not knowing when you're gonna hit the ground, and it takes quite some time... crazy_o.gif

Imagine not knowing when you're gonna hit the ground, and it takes quite some time... crazy_o.gif

For a 1km fall, it should be less than 20 seconds for a human body. Of course, that may feel like a damn long time.

Hmmm

I once had this excursion for geography, we went to see some mines and stuff like that.  And in one of those mines, some guys had a little accident and they fell down 1km  crazy_o.gif

Now that's scary stuff

Ok if you commit suicide then you want to die (if you don't change your mind while falling) but not wanting to fall at all and then going down 1 full km...   crazy_o.gif

autch  sad_o.gif

That's kinda funny, but horrible. Damn that must suck. Very much...

Was it dark? Imagine not knowing when you're gonna hit the ground, and it takes quite some time... crazy_o.gif

Yeah they fell down the mines, 1km vertical drop, that was a long time ago so you know there were some lights along the way but not a lot.

How long would it take until you'd reach the floor?  Anybody feel like doing some calculating?

Must'n be a fun way to die at all  crazy_o.gif

Is the area below it still accessable to drive?  Those would make some great curves for bringing a car down.

They most probably are because the old road serves as a backup solution in case they have to close the bridge because of accidents etc. Also, in most places the "old road" are usually the only way to access several of the local properties.

The curves you see are nice though  smile_o.gif  but not spectacular compared to similar places all over the mountainous parts of France and Italy - and Norway of course. (You see plenty of them during the Tour de France and Giro d'Italia! They are practically made for Alfa Romeo's, BMW's - in general ; european sportscars  smile_o.gif