Sign in to follow this  
pogingwapo

Tank question

This is quite a long time ago but I would like to know what really is the German tank destroyer portrayed in Episode 4 of Band of Brothers wherein the tank destroyer blasted the fragile Shermans and Cromwell tanks of the Allies as they approached the barn.

It looked like a Jagdpanther but it seems to be so small. What really is that tank?

I also remember seeing a half-track with a cannon turret. Could anyone please post a picture of that modified half-track.

Sturmtiger? with a short stubby main gun? but I'd only say the main gun was shorter (smaller), not the actual hull.

Or a Stug, not looking so much like a Jagdpanther, alot lower in profile, or a Hetzer?

No I don't know alot about WWII German armour (it's not my thing), I just happen to have a big fat book on the subject. biggrin_o.gif

Oh and iv not seen that episode anyway. tounge_o.gif

Jagdpanther

Sturmtiger

Jagdtiger

Elefant

I guess it was a Jagdpanther. I think it was, I have to see the episode again.

Here is a list over german tanks. Not all links has pics sad_o.gif

PS: Is it the episode where they are in a small town?

If so, I think the tank you are talking about was a Tiger.

Aaah, why did they have to build so many tanks?! crazy_o.gif

Remember, getting perfect replicas of those tanks can be hard. Sometimes they are scaled down, purely for cost reasons as they are based on another chassis.

Why did they build so many tanks? Becuase they are cool! Can't beat a King Tiger in a tank fight!

Remember, getting perfect replicas of those tanks can be hard. Sometimes they are scaled down, purely for cost reasons as they are based on another chassis.

Why did they build so many tanks? Becuase they are cool! Can't beat a King Tiger in a tank fight!

I think the case of the movie is that they couldn't find any tigers or tanks to represent. So instead they took another tank(forget which one) and weld the turret to look like one. Since the shot was short and most people who watch this don't know what some of these tanks look like.

I wish I had the link, but I remember there was a small web page on this, actually.

The halftrack with an AT gun on it is a Sdkfz. 251/22 (a german halftrack with a Pak. 40 AT gun)

251-22_30.jpg

stewart251a.jpg

stewart251i.jpg

If I remember correctly, the Sdkfz. 251/22 has only been adopted in December 1944, but it appears in B.o.B. in early september 1944 at the occasion of the Market Garden episod.

The halftrack with an AT gun on it is a Sdkfz. 251/22 (a german halftrack with a Pak. 40 AT gun)

[imghttp://klub.chip.pl/krzemek/galeria/251-22_30.jpg[/img]

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/stewart251a.jpg[/img

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/stewart251i.jpg[/img

If I remember correctly, the Sdkfz. 251/22 has only been adopted in December 1944, but it appears in B.o.B. in early september 1944 at the occasion of the Market Garden episod.

I think he refers to the tank that was hidden behind the houses. I think it might have been a tiger, but it looked too big for a halftrack.

I also remember seeing a half-track with a cannon turret. Could anyone please post a picture of that modified half-track.

Read, it sometimes helps.

The tank in question was a Sturmgeschütz IIRC, most probably a Ausf A-E / Sd.Kfz. 142.

stu0699-1.jpg

Read, it sometimes helps.

Didn't shee dat.

Got you pics, directly from the DVD:

BAND_OF_BROTHERS_DISC2-0.jpg

BAND_OF_BROTHERS_DISC2-1.jpg

BAND_OF_BROTHERS_DISC2-2.jpg

BAND_OF_BROTHERS_DISC2-6.jpg

BAND_OF_BROTHERS_DISC2-7.jpg

BAND_OF_BROTHERS_DISC2-9.jpg

So actually, there seem to be more different tanks in that episode, first picture seems to be a Jagdpanther, second and third show some kind of Sturmgeschütz, probably a Sturmgeschütz III, Assführung E or F, then there are several halftracks, one of them with the AT gun, another howitzer and the tank hiding behind the barn, which seems to be some kind of Tiger to me.

I can bet you about %95 of them are mock ups, any tigers are definitely %100 mock ups. There are very few surviving WWII German tanks that aren't in museums. As a matter of fact there is only one working Tiger in the entire world. It is the property of the really big time Panzer museum in Germany.

The Tiger in Saving Private Ryan and other recent movies is actually a mock up made on a T34 Chassis. I think it's pretty good looking, you have to pay attention to see it's not authentic. I think it's a little sad they messed up a T34 (anopther WWII tank) for it though. Fortunetly there are few working T34s left today.

It think it is great though the mock ups in movies in the past few years. It's far better than the war movies of old where they just painted the iron cross on a Chaffee or Patton and called it a Tiger.

I can tell you that the tank in the top picture is a definite Jagdpanther, which was a tank destroyer built on a Panzer V Panther chassis.

The vehicle in the in the front of the colum in the fifth picture appears to be a Marder III. If it's not then my next best guess is that it's a Wespe. The Marder III was built on the chassis of captured Panzer 38's. The Panzer 38 was a tank that the Germans captured hundreds of when they took Chezchslovokia. (<-I always misspell that)

All were built on either Comet, FV432 or T-34 chassis.  wink_o.gif

I found a few sources claiming that some were built on T-54 chassis as well.

the comet would be the best to base the tiger on with the exception of the overlapping suspension as both chassis look resonably similar from a distance it even has a similarly placed hull mounted machine gun, it would just need a new turret or modifications to the orignal one

its a pity britain didnt develop the comet eariler as it would have been a good match for the tiger

Nice pics nickless

Either builts on Comet or T-54 chassis, the replicas rock a lot smile_o.gif

For exemple, the SdkFz 251/22 with the PaK40 has the right unit symbol for a motorized AT unit (even if they were present in the Panzer Division 45's combined arms armor regiment, and in the anti-tank bataillon). The Auf M Marder III's great too.

It really changes from the so-called Tigers of the nutty "Battle of Ardennes" or the strange Panther ? Tiger ? built from a Leopard 1 in the excellent "A bridge too far" biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]or the strange Panther ? Tiger ? built from a Leopard 1 in the excellent "A bridge too far"

atleast it was german biggrin_o.gif so partly right