Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

The Acropolis(!?)

Much to the wife's disgust we walked up!! biggrin_o.gif

It's a damn nice place as well.. Stunning even..

He, it's much better walking up there anyways - as long as you don't arrive just at closing time (as it happened to us). Had to walk up again the next morning... At least we got some exercise!

tounge_o.gif

I can really recommend Rhodes - as long as you're not there during high season and as long as you avoid all towns inbetween Rhodes City and Lindos like the plague (go to Mallorca or the Costa del Sol if you like THAT kind of vacacions). There's some very nice monasteries in the interior of the island - and the west coast is quite nice (and less crowded), too. The best way to enjoy the island: spend 1-2 night in a nice pension in the old town, then rent a car and tour around the island, spending the nights in whatever village you end up at the end of the day.

Oh, and while it's not really famous for it's diving grounds there's some good diving schools in Rhodes City where you can get your scuba fix when needed.

Rhodes Town is really nice, but make sure you go for a dump before entering or it's a hole in the floor job as I found out! biggrin_o.gif

Ask for the towns.. I'm with you on that one.. Avoid Faliraki like the plague.. crazy_o.gif

Its an old tradition that I make threads like this every now and then, and it is also well within the rules (history is a science).

*chuckle* Was it not also an old tradition of yours to post morale booster threads? How about it ole buddy, I'm sure they qualify as biology, photography, or maybe just art wink_o.gif

Yeah, is it just me, or has posting slowed down a lot compared to say, june & july? rock.gif Is everybody busy at making stuff... or too busy with RL... or is the community slashing OFP innovation, turning their attentions and skillz elsewhere?

BUZZARD @ Aug. 26 2004,23:01)]Yeah, is it just me, or has posting slowed down a lot compared to say, june & july?  rock.gif  Is everybody busy at making stuff... or too busy with RL... or is the community slashing OFP innovation, turning their attentions and skillz elsewhere?

The numbers of "regular" posters has definetley dwindled over the past few months.

Quote[/b] ]The numbers of "regular" posters has definetley dwindled over the past few months.

I guess we'll just have to post more tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]The numbers of "regular" posters has definetley dwindled over the past few months.

I guess we'll just have to post more tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif .

It's called spamming.

Get out more.

I will help you right along with a 48hr PR.

So its now 27/08/04 1200hrs and I just got my posting "rights" back.

Cheers for that.

The Acropolis.

Never been to Greece. Its on my to do list. Along with many other things.

Tankieboy what did I say on Page2?

With regard to volume on the forums, perhaps the fact August is traditionally vacation month has something to do with it? Plus of course if the weather is nice perhaps some people (definitely not me) prefer to be outside with friends and such? smile_o.gif

didnt part of the Partheioen (Who ever its spellet) in Athen get blown up by dynamite wink_o.gif

didnt part of the Partheioen (Who ever its spellet) in Athen get blown up by dynamite wink_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]The Turks used the Parthenon as a powder magazine when the Venetians, under Admiral Morosini, sieged the Acropolis in 1687. One of the Venetian bombs fell on the Parthenon and caused a tremendous explosion that destroyed a great part of the monument which had been preserved in a good condition until then.

The disaster was completed in the beginning of the 19th century, when the British ambassador in Constantinople, Lord Elgin, stole the greatest part of the sculptural decoration of the monument (frieze, metopes, pediments), transferred them to England and sold them to the British Museum, where they are still exhibited, being one of the most significant collections of the museum.

Why, yes it did smile_o.gif

I haven't been to the Parthenon myself, but as with Tankieboy. It's on my todo list, as is visiting Egypt, New York amongst others smile_o.gif