Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Important Ad-Aware Update

FYI, LavaSoft today released an updated version of their popular Ad-Aware spyware/malware/adware scanning and removal tool.

The new version, Ad-Aware SE, incorporates a new scanning engine that can deal with previously undetectable infections.

I'm a bit unknow about what is best, SpyBot: S&D or this?

I use them both.... and SpySweeper too....

between the three of them , they seem to get everything, but it seems to me that each has a few that get missed..

biggrin_o.gif

I tried removing spyware/adware one time but then MSN Instant Messenger wouldn't ever work, which really pissed me off.

It doesn't matter much, all of these are updated frequently -- just make sure you run at least one of these programs on a regular basis.

Also be aware of any spyware removal programs you don't recognize or that might be offered for download in popup ads. As this story reports, many of these don't work, or worse, are in fact used to distribute spyware rather than remove it.

I would like to add to this topic as I am just recovering a massive spyware infestation.Searchportal overtook my browser was my main problem.I tried at least 6 different spware removal programs and Adaware and Spybot (my 2 most used) keep ignoring my major problems.

I have found after trying out several removal programs that this one is the best by far.It helped me get this monster under control (i still had to boot to safe-mode and remove files)

http://www.giantcompany.com

Certainly the best I have used

Thanks for the heads up, this did in fact find several objects my previous version of Ad-Aware didn't, even with the latest definitions....Whoa....118 objects recognized, and it's not done scanning yet! crazy_o.gif

*edit* eek, the final count was 288, after getting a clean bill of health from Ad-Aware version 6.0. Most were cookies, but there was one running malware process. This took a good 10+ minutes to scan my system.

^^

Same for me, this new version detected 38 new objects undetected by the previous version of AW, one being malware.

Thank you for the heads up Mr. Frag smile_o.gif .

I would like to add to this topic as I am just recovering a massive spyware infestation.Searchportal overtook my browser was my main problem.I tried at least 6 different spware removal programs and Adaware and Spybot (my 2 most used) keep ignoring my major problems.

I have found after trying out several removal programs that this one is the best by far.It helped me get this monster under control (i still had to boot to safe-mode and remove files)

http://www.giantcompany.com

Certainly the best I have used

txs, i have several antispyware programs which i run everyday, but this one is well worth the download and it did find some malicious regkeys that all the others skipped.

The best in spyware defence is -

Ad-Aware-SE, SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster, and Ie-SpyAds

If you want to, you can also use SpySweeper. On a slightly adjacent topic, DO NOT trust any products that aren't from Lavasoft, SpyBot S&D team, Pest-Patrol, or JavaCoolSoftware.

Here is a relatively long list of programs and sites you definetly should not trust - http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Thanks for the link! It found a keystroke recorder on mine that all my other programs missed... mad_o.gifcrazy_o.gifsad_o.gif

This is great news! I have had this one spyware that won't go away, I hope this new version can detect it.

EDIT: With old Adaware, I have no new objects, with new version 113 critical objects and counting!