Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Athens Olympics 2004

Meanwhile, in their last game together the US Womens Football team takes home the gold after a 2-1 OT Win against Brazil, As many as 5 members of the team are now retiring including, Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy & Brandi Chastain.

Read the wrapup here

unclesam.gif

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly....pe=lgns

Quote[/b] ]

U.S. Furious at Proposal That Hamm Return His Gold

By Andrew Gray and Paul Eckert

ATHENS (Reuters) - U.S. Olympic chiefs reacted furiously Friday to a suggestion gold medallist Paul Hamm should give his medal to a South Korean rival under a plan floated by world gymnastics officials.

In one of the biggest controversies of the Athens Games, the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) has said Hamm placed first in the all-round event due to a judging error and bronze medallist Yang Tae-young should have been awarded gold.

The FIG has suspended the three judges involved, saying they incorrectly docked a 10th of a point from Yang's parallel bars routine in the final Wednesday last week. But it has said it has no mechanism to overturn the final standings.

The FIG has now gone a step further and written to Hamm -- one of the highest-profile members of the U.S. Olympic team -- to suggest he could return his medal, according to a letter released by the U.S. Olympic committee Friday.

"The true winner of the all-round competition is Yang Tae-young," the letter said.

"If ... you would return your medal to the Korean if the FIG requested it, then such an action would be recognized as the ultimate demonstration of Fairplay by the whole world," said the letter signed by FIG president Bruno Grandi and dated August 26.

The U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) said the letter was a "blatant and inappropriate" attempt by the FIG to shift responsibility for its mistake onto the shoulders of Hamm, 21.

"It's deplorable that they are deflecting their own incompetence and their problem to a young athlete who simply came here to compete in the Olympic Games," USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth told a news conference.

USOC chiefs spoke to Hamm, who has returned to the United States, and his advisers Thursday night.

"During these conversations, the USOC expressed its unwavering support for Mr. Hamm and indicated it will aggressively resist any attempt by any party to lay claim to his gold medal," a USOC statement said.

The USOC also said it was no longer willing to consider allowing a second gold medal to be awarded to Yang, one suggestion floated as a way of defusing a row which has been front-page news for days across the United States.

Hamm, who staged an amazing comeback from 12th place in the final, has made clear he sees himself as the rightful gold medallist. He has also complained that U.S. sporting authorities have not given him enough support.

"We were at fault as an Olympic Committee for not more strongly, more directly stating our public support for Paul and his position and his welfare," USOC chief executive Jim Scherr told reporters Friday.

U.S. officials have pointed out the South Koreans failed to contest the judging error during the competition, which is the only way to change the marks, according to FIG rules.

The South Koreans said last week they would appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) but have yet to do so.

"This FIG letter to Hamm puts us in a much stronger position when we make an appeal to the CAS," South Korean delegation head Shim Bark-jae told Korean media.

"Regardless of the reply to the FIG letter, we will appeal to CAS as early as tomorrow and if possible resolve this matter before the end of the Games," he said.

The letter said the International Olympic Committee (IOC) would appreciate Hamm handing back his medal. But the IOC said it had not been consulted and considered the matter closed.

"The results of the gymnastics have been validated and communicated by the FIG. There is no question that remains open on this issue," an IOC spokeswoman said.

Updated on Friday, Aug 27, 2004 11:42 am EDT

crazy_o.gif

Why the US mens basketball team does not deserve a medal

One word: Teamwork

or lack of would be more descriptive, todays basketball players are more concerned with looking good and getting their "ups" than making a pass to an open man for an easy score. This has become obvious with the way they have played in these olympics and Shaq or Kobe would not have made a difference. Most NBA players do not know how to play as a team.

When an 18 year old kid is handed a 9 Million dollar endorsement deal without ever stepping foot on an NBA court how do you expect this guy to listen to his coach that he should sacrifice his body to step in and take a charge or to not foolishly try to penetrate for a dunk so he looks good and instead kick it out to the open man for an easy jumper. They just do not care, now i am not saying all NBA players are that way, just look at what the Detroit Pistons did to the Lakers in the finals but the quality of play is deterioating rapidly.

NIKE, please stop handing out mega bucks to kids who have done nothing in the sport maybe then we can see some good basketball in the US again. The bottom line is these guys would never be able to compete with the likes of Magic, Bird, Ewing and co.

I for one am glad they lost and i hope they lose again and go home empty handed.

March against Powell in Athens [bBC]

Quote[/b] ]

Hundreds of people have been marching through Athens to protest against a visit by US Secretary of State Colin Powell for the Olympic Games.

They had hoped to march to the US embassy but their route was blocked by several hundred riot police. Some violent scuffles also broke out, with demonstrators throwing bottles and placards at police lines.

Participants were protesting against the US' policies in the Middle East, including its deployments in Iraq. Police want the demonstrators to stay clear of the embassy, which is located on a major Olympic traffic lane, correspondents say.

'Not welcome'

Petros Constantinou, one of the protest organisers told BBC News Online: "We are here because we believe Colin Powell should not be coming to Greece.

"He has been very provocative over the whole issue of the US being in Iraq - this is a peaceful demonstration to show that we do not want him here.

Mr Constantinou, who works for a trade union newspaper, added: "We are not anti-American, we are anti-American imperialism."

One protester shouted in English through a megaphone: "Colin Powell is persona non grata.

"Powell you are not welcome - don't come this way."

Some held placards with "undesirable" scrawled across a picture of Mr Powell. Mr Powell is set to arrive in Athens on Saturday and is scheduled to attend the Olympics closing ceremony on Sunday.

Stand-off

The protesters marched through the central Syntagma Square, and their route was to take them past the Hilton Hotel, where several International Olympic Committee officials are staying, and on to the US embassy.

But police blocked the road leading from the square to the Hilton. The Greek authorities said they recognise the demonstrators' right to protest, but asked them not to cause trouble.

"We have offered an environment of celebration and joy, security and respect of human rights," Public Order Minister Yiorgos Voulgarakis told a news conference before the march began.

"I want to believe that the demonstrators... will respect this climate," he said.

The Greek Communist Party is organising another protest for Saturday.

rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]U.S. Furious at Proposal That Hamm Return His Gold

From what I understand, Yang Tae-young made 4 body holds in the parallel bars (the gymnastics commentators went through the routine, pointing out each hold). The rule's state the maximum aloud is 3, and requires a mandatory .2 deduction, which was not taken, and had it been he would have finished comletely out of the medal race. If his proper difficulty had been awarded, he still wouldn't have gotten better than Bronze.

Least that's my understanding of it.

US Basketball team just crashed and burnt against the Argentines.

I posted about that on the last page and explained why they don't deserve ANY medal Pathy.

I posted about that on the last page and explained why they don't deserve ANY medal Pathy.

Hang on, i posted as soon as the game finished.... rock.gif

Hmmm what kind of crappy delayed service am i getting here mad_o.gif

March against Powell in Athens [bBC]
Quote[/b] ]

Hundreds of people have been marching through Athens to protest against a visit by US Secretary of State Colin Powell for the Olympic Games.

They had hoped to march to the US embassy but their route was blocked by several hundred riot police. Some violent scuffles also broke out, with demonstrators throwing bottles and placards at police lines.

Participants were protesting against the US' policies in the Middle East, including its deployments in Iraq. Police want the demonstrators to stay clear of the embassy, which is located on a major Olympic traffic lane, correspondents say.

'Not welcome'

Petros Constantinou, one of the protest organisers told BBC News Online: "We are here because we believe Colin Powell should not be coming to Greece.

"He has been very provocative over the whole issue of the US being in Iraq - this is a peaceful demonstration to show that we do not want him here.

Mr Constantinou, who works for a trade union newspaper, added: "We are not anti-American, we are anti-American imperialism."

One protester shouted in English through a megaphone: "Colin Powell is persona non grata.

"Powell you are not welcome - don't come this way."

Some held placards with "undesirable" scrawled across a picture of Mr Powell. Mr Powell is set to arrive in Athens on Saturday and is scheduled to attend the Olympics closing ceremony on Sunday.

Stand-off

The protesters marched through the central Syntagma Square, and their route was to take them past the Hilton Hotel, where several International Olympic Committee officials are staying, and on to the US embassy.

But police blocked the road leading from the square to the Hilton. The Greek authorities said they recognise the demonstrators' right to protest, but asked them not to cause trouble.

"We have offered an environment of celebration and joy, security and respect of human rights," Public Order Minister Yiorgos Voulgarakis told a news conference before the march began.

"I want to believe that the demonstrators... will respect this climate," he said.

The Greek Communist Party is organising another protest for Saturday.

rock.gif

What? It's a well known fact that America is not liked since '74. And they have no one but themselves to blame for that.

Besides, we are a free democracy, and if people choose to show their dislike for anyone or anything, they are welcome to.

I am not sure what the problem is?

Looks lke the trip has been cancelled now.

Apparantly he has 'lots of work to do!'

Looks lke the trip has been cancelled now.

Apparantly he has 'lots of work to do!'

Damn politics interfier with everything :/

I just wanted to mention that yesterday was a very good day for german boat people biggrin_o.gif

Thumbs up !

Even the handball match against Russia was nice biggrin_o.gif

...and Hamm...I don´t know if you´ve seen the competition but he really did not deserve the medal. The jury at the male competitions was a bit flawed...even in other decisions...

Amir Kahn is doing good in the Boxing for the Brits smile_o.gif

What? It's a well known fact that America is not liked since '74. And they have no one but themselves to blame for that.

Besides, we are a free democracy, and if people choose to show their dislike for anyone or anything, they are welcome to.

I am not sure what the problem is?

Just had to post it:

50210.jpg

biggrin_o.gif

german boat people biggrin_o.gif

Life in Germany is that hard ?

Aren't boat people a relatively hazardous way of travelling on the North sea ?

tounge_o.gif

We are the champoins biggrin_o.gif tree times in robe Denmark wins the handball gold biggrin_o.gif .

STGN

Well done to Kelly Holmes of Great Britain! 2 gold medals! wow_o.gif

Now, I can't wait to see what the next Olympic opening ceremony will look like !

The chinese show could have already made a pretty nice opening ceremony for such an event in itself, have you see the ammount of performers rock.gif???

The little chinese girl on the large lantirn was cute too .... you should have heard one of the French commentators, he almost sounded like a pervert tounge_o.gif

It's all really really nice.

Well done Greeks smile_o.gif

Next rendez-vous : 6th of July 2005, we'll finally know where the 2012 games will take place ;)

*crosses fingers and hopes for Paris to be chosen*

The little chinese girl on  the large lantirn was cute too .... you should have heard one of the French commentators, he almost sounded like a pervert tounge_o.gif

after all, you guys coined the term 'french kiss'. wink_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Good job Athens. no major problem, despite all those last minute hurries. of course, what will happen in about a year is that people will start talking about how the structures are falling apart, but that's not go no happen in some time. tounge_o.gif

Now Parlympics! biggrin_o.gif

edit:

Quote[/b] ]*crosses fingers and hopes for Paris to be chosen*

so you wanna work overtime? tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]*crosses fingers and hopes for Paris to be chosen*

so you wanna work overtime? tounge_o.gif

hehehe smile_o.gif who knows, maybe I'll be retired before 2012 smile_o.gif (I could retire in 2010, but I doubt it's going to happen).

Working overtime wouldn't bother me as it would mean earning a bit more money tounge_o.gif.

And who knows maybe some female athletes will need some close protection .... hmmm women brazilian beach volley team ... women swedish wrestlers .... or these small gymnasts . grr grr grrr hmůmmm ..... erm ... tounge_o.gif

edit :

Lol, the flying greek : Sakis Rouvas tounge_o.gif

One think which deceived me a little bit is that it all just wasn't as warm as what we've seen before, no big happenings in the Athenian streets, lots of empty seats at the events and so on, on the contrary of what we could have seen in Albertville or Barcelona for exemple. I think it was all a little tame.

And who knows maybe some female athletes will need some close protection .... hmmm women brazilian beach volley team ... women swedish wrestlers .... or these small gymnasts . grr grr grrr hmůmmm ..... erm ... tounge_o.gif

how about denoir? tounge_o.gif