Sign in to follow this  
Commando84

Have you tried ofp on tv?

That really depends on your TV. If you have an HDTV, sure no problem, but any smaller older TVs that can't support higher resolutions will be problematic. I think the standard TV resolution is 640x480.

Yeah, standard TVs are 640x480, and standard size HDTVs are 1024x768, but I've seen big 40+ inch TVs with higher res, probably to help prevent pixelation. But for me, instead of a Big Screen TV, I want a big white wall and a good projector that supports up to 1600x1200 biggrin_o.gif (doubt I could ever afford one, but I can dream). Also in this dream instead of a house I'd have a Super Stallion and could live anywhere :P

I'm sorry, but you are both wrong.

640x480 is the standard VGA resolution. Standard NTSC broadcast TV in the US is about 330x480, interlaced. No, that's not a typo. Some of the vertical resolution is lost due to the blanked-out overscan area, where the electron beam leaves the shadow mask and prepares to move back to the top to display the next half-frame.

Anyway, the TV output from a video card is always resized to fit the display parameters of the TV standard (NTSC/PAL/SECAM), so your computer's display gets reduced. The resolutions that are supported will depend on the video card and TV encoder chip being used, but support for gaming resolutions such as 800x600 and 1024x768 is fairly standard.

The game looks great on my TV but unfortunately the desktop looks like i have had far too many pints crazy_o.gif

I tried it last week. I do not recommend doing this with a bad TV. my TV only supported 60hz and 1024x768, the letters in OFP were unreadable, flickering screen and soldier moving 250m were hard to spot crazy_o.gif Gave me a headache >_<.

Tried it with a R9800pro TV/out. crazy_o.gif

That's not the TV's fault. As I wrote earlier, the NTSC broadcast resolution, which is what the composite and S-Video input on a US TV use, is about 330x480, so the 1024x768 in-game video needs to be downsampled.

Not only are there far fewer "pixels" (cathode ray TVs aren't really bit-addressable), but the aspect ratio is also different. As a result, alot of information is lost, which will be most noticeable when you look at small details or text.

If you have a digital plasma or LCD HDTV with DVI input, the story is quite a bit different. Not only does such a TV have a bit-addressable display, it also doesn't have an overscan area, and resolutions that are identical or very close to the PC.

Quote[/b] ]Standard NTSC broadcast TV in the US is about 330x480

Where did you get this number from, as far as I know ntsc has a standasrd format of 648x 486, for d1 that would be 720x486 or 720 x 540 (depending if it are square or non square pixels)

I know that some of the pixels are blanked of so you dont see controle track info etc but I can hardly imagine that your tv blanks off aa third of the signal.

Educate me please , Im confused smile_o.gif

I've had those numbers in my head for a long time, having done some video editing work.

However, the explanation for where these numbers comes from is far from simple, I won't even attempt to do it myself. The best I can do is refer you to a website that has a comprehensive discussion of the subject:

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidres.htm

The page quotes plenty of references.

Right now I have a beamer wich cost 280 Euro´s comparable to any LCD beamer at the price of 1000 Euro

Please PM me more details, I want to know more about this smile_o.gif

regards

or the original thread here:

Balschoiw´s tool time 2004

I am still lacking time atm to finish the second version of the beamer. But the first version already worked great. The second version will use an additional mirror to shorten the box and make it more compact. Once I have time I will update the thread.

Mister Frag is completely right,I'm surprised how some people think TV screen are high res (asides new hdtv).To back some of his statements and I don't get fancy with the overscans.

Older TV's (normal) are usually 300x200 and 320x240

A TV with Svideo input is 500x500 (some 520x520)

VHS is of course around the 320x240 but SVHS is 400x400.

DVD is nice quality and is capable of 720x720 (but of course a normal svideo tv is only 500x500)

I've done much video editing and conversion.

TV out from a PC video card is usually switchable of modes 640x480,800x600 and even 1024x768,but of course your tv scales it down (if you don't have a super tv)

With this in mind is why I always say that anything playable on a TV is inferior to computer (PS2,Xbox and anything that comes out that plays on a TV)

My old 17" monitor is capable of 1600x1200