Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Two questions

I think most Swedes would not complain out loud if someone would walk inside their house with shoes But they would probably feel uncomfortable with it anyway.

Are shiney wooden floors the standard in Swedish homes and in other Scandinavian countries or would this custom hold true no matter what the floor type (stone, for example)?

Okay, if you have a carpet in your home, well I think it might be a different story. But for someone who grew up with wodden and stone floor that isnt much of an issue.

Certainly, I dont put my shoes on the sofa nor would I let my dog sleep there or in my bed.

I just think it is so much more important to welcome a girl with "you are wearing beautiful shoes" than with "could you please take of your dirty street-shoes".

In my parents home we had relatively sensitive floor made of a rather costly rainforrest wood, slender sharp shoes for women would harm it pretty badly, still we never asked anyone to take them off.  

Shoes are an important part of our clothing, some people feel naked without their shoes, or that they have been robbed their most important accessoire.

Honnestly, I dont like carpets too much. And if I would buy them in a dark color anyway.. but usually I prefer a nice old wodden floor in a renovated old house. That is what I have right now and all I gotta do is hoover, wipe and now and then give it some special treatment.

Quote[/b] ]If it's really bad weather outside, our guests give their feet a good wipe on the super durable door mat outside of our door

Thats the way to go. A big mat and people know their duty.

Stone floors are very uncommon here. My parent's have an entrance hallway that has a stone (marble) floor. They have also a hallway that leads to the laundry room from the secondary (service or whatever it is called) entrance. Both that hallway and the laundry room have klinkers tiles.

There is however integrated heating under both the marble and klinkers floor, so it's quite nice and warm to walk on.

I think most Swedes would not complain out loud if someone would walk inside their house with shoes But they would probably feel uncomfortable with it anyway.

Are shiney wooden floors the standard in Swedish homes and in other Scandinavian countries or would this custom hold true no matter what the floor type (stone, for example)?

Wooden floors are fairly common, but it is a general custom.

Again I'm not 100% sure what these things are called in English.

Parquet flooring is very common in Sweden (there's also a "fake" version of it that is popular). Plastic flooring is also pretty common, and is frequently in apartments. Stone flooring does exist but the same common practice to remove shoes is utilized there.

smile_o.gif

Three different types of flooring

parkett.giflaminat.jpgbilder%255C279%255CBild1_g11-k70-2.jpg

Edit: Being extremly slow for some reason, Denoir beat me with several posts. tounge_o.gif

1 Sometimes

2 No

I have wooden floors everywhere biggrin_o.gif I have 5 long haired cats so carpet would be very unhandy as you cant get the hairs out of it. Same reason i vacuum everyday smile_o.gif

Parquet flooring is very common in Sweden (there's also a "fake" version of it that is popular).

Laminate. If I ever put in floors myself, I'm definetly going to go for it.

aufbau-laminat.gif

Basically it's piece of parquet, but very thin. Below it is a piece of chipboard and on top of it is a very thin layer of a transparent polymer. So it looks and feels like parquet, but you can abuse it any way you want without damaging it.

Parquet flooring is very common in Sweden (there's also a "fake" version of it that is popular).

Pergo! smile_o.gif

Yes, Pergo/Laminate thats what i ment. I have put a couple of square meters of it when i renovated a small room and turned it into a computer room. It was very easy and it works well.

smile_o.gif

There's nothing better than massive wooden planks like they were used in old houses. I personally hate carpets. I think they're unhygienic and the only places where they make sense are small rugs in the bathroom (so you don't have to stand on the cold stone floor after having a shower) and in the bedroom.

Of course, if you have dirty shoes it should be ordinary custom to 1. clean them on the mat before the entrance and 2. take them off if they are very wet/dirty - even with non-carpet floors. A guest can always ask for a pair of slippers (or they can be offered to him).

1) Where I live noone takes off his shoes. We often say it is for "Spießer mit Birkenstock und Weißen Socken". In other words for the low-taste people with white socks and sandals.

I hate taking off my shoes, it is kind of my ideology. I hate people running around in socks, I rather put on my sneakers or walk barefeet (is that the word?). The floor in a house is supposed to get dirty and I am supposed to clean it FULLSTOP. Same with guests, I dont ask anyone to take off his/her shoes... I think it is a sign of being stingy, un-male, boring ... I JUST HATE IT, I pay more attention to humans than to objects, I rather try to earn more money and buy a new carpet once in while than keeping it white for 100 years. And I hate people who take off their shoes in the train or plane...    mad_o.gif  

Asking a girl that visits you to take off her shoes? tssss NEVER

Interesting. Here it's quite the opposite. It would be seen as very rude and uncivilized not to take of your shoes, especially when entering another person's house.

Over here we have a bit of both people. There's nothing in our culture that says that you HAVE to take off your shoes because it would be rude not to.

Normally the guest has to ask if he can keep his shoes on or not. I always ask this when i'm not sure what to do...

If people come to your house you normally don't have to ask them to remove their shoes, they usually ask it themselves... at least that's how it works where i live...

In my house, nobody will tell you to take off your shoes. If you ask us, then we'll tell you to take them off if they're dirty and if they're not then you can do what you want.

AND WHY THE HELL ARE WE DISCUSSING FLOORS, FEET AND SOCKS!!??!?? tounge_o.gifrock.gifwink_o.gif

1. Yes, allways, I don't see myself wearing combat boots or intervention shoes at home. (and when i was a kid, my mother would have been able to behead me if ever I didn't leave my shoes at the door if i was coming from outside)

2. Yes, mainly for mission editing,a few things for the military humor thread and a few addon readmes and interesting posts concerning these same addons

and when i was a kit

Asembly required? rock.gif

My finger slipped ;)

and when i was a kit

My finger slipped ;)

Maybe it's dislocated.

The finger bone's connected to the hand bone.....................

tounge_o.gif

my mother didnt mind.. and as kids we (4 of us) came usually straight out of the forrest, so she and the nanny had to force us into the shower, the rule to come washed to breakfast, lunch and dinner was pretty strict and noone was allowed to get up from the table before my father allowed it.

And I guess they were generally happy if we kept our shoes on, taking them off means loosing them. smile_o.gif

and when i was a kit

My finger slipped ;)

Maybe it's dislocated.

The finger bone's connected to the hand bone.....................

tounge_o.gif

Am I detecting traces of spam in my dearly beloved thread?  tounge_o.gif

I feel that it is important that I reply to this topic.

1) No, almost never. The few times that I have removed my shoes is because my shoes are very uncomfortable(the width of my toes is wider than the width of my feet and therefore my toes are cramped in my shoes unless I am wearing thin socks) and I am on my feet most the whole day.

2) Only once. It was from that thread about how bad women drivers are. It had a bunch of jokes and photos of women who drove their cars into metro station holes, into boats, between houses, etc. The subtitles were funny too. "During a commute to work, a woman becomes confused at an intersection(very normal), she then gets stuck trying to descend a metro tram entrance thinking it was a car parking garage!".

biggrin_o.gif

2) Only once.  It was from that thread about how bad women drivers are.  It had a bunch of jokes and photos of women who drove their cars into metro station holes, into boats, between houses, etc.  The subtitles were funny too. "During a commute to work, a woman becomes confused at an intersection(very normal), she then gets stuck trying to descend a metro tram entrance thinking it was a car parking garage!".

mad_o.gif

2) Only once.  It was from that thread about how bad women drivers are.  It had a bunch of jokes and photos of women who drove their cars into metro station holes, into boats, between houses, etc.  The subtitles were funny too. "During a commute to work, a woman becomes confused at an intersection(very normal), she then gets stuck trying to descend a metro tram entrance thinking it was a car parking garage!".

mad_o.gif

Calm down! Calm down! It's just reality!

2) Only once. It was from that thread about how bad women drivers are. It had a bunch of jokes and photos of women who drove their cars into metro station holes, into boats, between houses, etc. The subtitles were funny too. "During a commute to work, a woman becomes confused at an intersection(very normal), she then gets stuck trying to descend a metro tram entrance thinking it was a car parking garage!".

mad_o.gif

Calm down! Calm down! It's just reality!

HAHAHA biggrin_o.gif You guys crack me up!

As strangely fascinating as this thread is I think it's a smidge too OT for OT.

For the record.....

1. Yes and walk around barefoot but need some slippers, not used to stone/wooden floors that my apartment has.

2. Each time I ban someone I print it out and add it to a scrapbook wink_o.gif