Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

Introducing F.E.A.R. - Half-Life 2 is done

High res textures+high poly models+DirectX capabillities+annoying "plastic effect"=what every FPS curently on the market has to offer,this one makes no difference.Absolutley nothing revolutionary...

Actually it pisses me off to see this trend in almost every single game coming on the market with levels as big as my backyard and a cheap hollywood like story resulting to one of the reasons why I will never get tired of waiting for OF2.It holds all my hopes for the game you will never get tired off with ultimate gameplay, and FREEDOM.

Holy schmoly! we agree on something! wow_o.gif

Why do people in these forums have to be so critical of other games?

Cant anyone say it looks good?

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but even if you think OFP is the best, it does not mean everything else sucks (which i may tounge_o.gif )

Ive said this before, but I feel like I'm gonna start WWIII if I mention a game other than OFP.

Graphical goodness is well and dandy but its game play that matters.

Graphical goodness is well and dandy but its game play that matters.

Couldn't agree more. That game is probaply entertaining only for short time.

Quote[/b] ]Holy schmoly! we agree on something!

<Insert predictable joke about rivals agreeing on something>

Quote[/b] ]go sit in a bunker till S.T.A.L.K.E.R. comes out

True,I have a strong feeling that the X-Ray engine is finally IT,and will hold new standards for wannabe upcoming FPS.

Quote[/b] ]General:

Levels combining closed spaces as well as enormous open areas

On demand loading makes it possible to create a single huge level

Game time flow, change of time of the day

Powerful skeleton-based animation allows usage of motion-capture hardware and produces smooth and realistic motion of characters

VR-Simulation engine optimized for massive load

Graphics:

Support for all second generation D3D compatible accelerators (TNT/Voodo2/etc), optimized for Geforce2 and up

Visualization optimized for hardware TnL (both FF and shading capable parts)

Continuous level of detail technology for all the geometry

~300 000 polygons per frame at 60 fps on average hardware

Detailed character models (500-10 000 polys)

High-speed blended animation system capable of an infinite number of bone interpolation & modulation operations

SSE/3Dnow! Technologies used for skinning and forward kinematics

Visibility determination

Portal-style, non-linear subdivision based visibility detection system

Optimized for T&L hardware by batching primitives in optimally sized groups

Dynamic occlusion culling, contribution culling

Adaptive hardware state caching technology

Lighting

Colored dynamic lights and dynamic "soft" shadows

Breakable light sources

Animated lights

Character shadowing

Intelligent light source selection, clipping, and merging

Detail mapping

Water, flares, coronas, etc.

Particle system with real physics

Screen post-processing

Shading

The Shader library is central to every part of the rendering pipeline

Completely abstracts the graphics API.

Multi-pass Rendering

Fallback Shaders

Facilitates cross-platform development

Separates shader writing from engine development

Pixel and Vertex shaders are automatically used (on shader capable hardware.)

Detail objects:

Grass, small stones, etc.

Enviromental effects, such as wind, turbulence, and tracks

Physics:

Based on ODE engine

Simulation speed outperforms commercial engines such as MathEngine, Havok, etc.

Real-time IK, vehicle physics, etc.

Collision database with low memory usage

Collision detection optimized for a large number of queries in a high concentration polygonal environment

Realistic simulation of ballistics, movement, and fluids

Audio:

High quality HRTF 3D-sound with clipping and partial wave tracing

Location-based environmental audio affected by surrounding obstructions

Context-relative multiple-mixed music streams in MP3/MP2/WMA/ADPCM formats

Network:

Distributed computing

Client-Server based system

Tools

In-house tools ( Level, Shader, Particle, and Actor Editors )

Plug-ins for popular modeling packages

AI:

Simulation Level-Of-Detail and Culling (2 AI models - high and low detail)

Fiber based time distribution allows scalable AI without any slowdown

Virtual senses; sight, hearing and touch

Terrain-aware tactical assessment system

FSM with random factor

Data driven design (pattern based evaluation functions are automatically generated and optimized on training examples - supervised learning)

This is the result when the team is not $ thirsty but instead farsighted and ambitious.

I think this game has no chance against STALKER and HL2, especially not HL2, HL2 is a real big name and there is no way this game will come out of nowhere and kill HL2 just because it has some fancy graphics.

I don't know if you guys have actually been watching the stuff that's being released on HL2, but its graphics are superior to these. Allow me to qualify that: not in a shiny, bump-mapping on everything that makes it seem plasticene way, but in a subdued color palette combined with immersive environments manner that gives an overall feel of realism, not plastic. Also, the attention paid certainly gives the impression that the Valve artists, instead of rushing off to play with the newest toys like everyone else, are taking the time to craft these technologies into actual, meaningful tools to help advance and accentuate the only part of the game that really matters: the gameplay.

edit: and the STALKER team seems to be getting comparable results by following a similar design ethos.

Has there been any news about STALKER - that's the next game I'm going to buy.

IF it comes out at the same time, which is not at all definite.  For a generation behind HL2 this is not impressive at all; the new Unreal engine looks better

Games based on Unreal Engine 3 will not come out until 2006 or later so it’s not fair to compare that engine to this one. I disagree that it looks that plastic, look at the last part of the video (when the soldier gets slaughter by the little girl), I think the soldiers looks really good and the animations are great. Doom3 looks more plastic than this game IMO.

Ive said this before, but I feel like I'm gonna start WWIII if I mention a game other than OFP.

Again....Like Combat Mission, LOMAC, IL-2, Silent Storm, Red Opera, EVE Online, etc etc...even GTA:San Andreas? Oh yes, everyone hates them, very apparent from their threads rock.gif

I only bash games that are utter s**t, like BF and Söldner.

edit: Stalker seems kickass, I'm going to buy it.

I am getting soooooo fed up of this recent graphics rush!

Why dont we just see a few new good gameplays instead. A new civilisation, a new Mafia, .... something entertaining. Hell after 2 hours of playing FarCry I didnt even notice the great graphics anymore.

The game looks good, how it plays is another thing. The original HalfLife was actually quite a challenge the first time round, atleast on the hardest difficulty setting. And by the looks of it HL2 will also offer quite a few non-lead-filling ways of sending your foes to that big alien kennel in the skies.

And this game does indeed look too shiny, HL2 does in my opinion look much more realistic and has a "grittier" feel to it than what I have seen of this game. Take a look out the window, how many shiny rooftops do you see? How many peoples jeans shine and almost reflect things in the immediate surroundings of said jeans?

Unfortunatley, this game will probably be nothing more than a looker, STALKER, HL2 and Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines are the only non-OFP PC games on my "to buy list" in it's current state. And I fear F.E.A.R isn't going to change that...

Quote[/b] ]a new Mafia

This and OFP2 (and maybe that new GTA, now that I think about it) are the only games that I'm looking forward too!

And yes, Mafia2 is in development. Just like most other developers from Czech they seem to be a little quiet about it, but it’s been confirmed.

smile_o.gif