Sign in to follow this  
Badgerboy

D day remembrance

Is anyone watching the D-Day coverage? Currently watching the Prince meet the veterans who captured Pegasus bridge.

Quite a turn out!

Yes I've watched the Canadian/French ceremony in France...

titlemain1.jpg

As one MP veteran of the invasion put it today: "...it's great to see how people have changed, to an extent." I personally believe that the best way to remember what happened is to keep fresh in our minds the political/ideological causes of these wars, in which millions died. sad_o.gif And in general that war is the least attractive solution to be reserved for most extreme situations.

yes i am, bit iffy about the german chancellor being envited by the french prez though, just dont seem right.

That was 60 years ago. Were all friends now!

(First appearence of a Russian head of state as well)

yea maybe, but i dunno its just iffy to me.

Yes, lets exclude them instead. I am sure things like that will prevent future conflict. :/

I support it. ITs great to see all these heads of state coming together, and the French have laid on a great event for everyone.

Watching BBC 1 celebrations?

(The Queen managed to get more applause than all the others put together! smile_o.gif )

Was quite funny seeing Bernadette Chirac seating all alone without anyone coming to her while her husband was chatting nearby with his buddies tounge_o.gif (on the TF1 footage at least)

The Norwegians were great during the small military music concert. Very sharp drill and stylish choregraphy and moves tounge_o.gif

The TF1 broadcast is the one we are recieving on BBC1.

The video screens are a nice touch!

The bands look good as well! Watch out for the Russians!

Hmm, i love the idea of the buses to take the officials from Caen to Arromanches hehehehe tounge_o.gif

Are you watching the 14 veterans receiving a Legion d'honneur ?

Who are the guys with the FAMAS? Are they from a particular ceremonial regiment?

(Good speech from Chirac as well)

Hmm, i love the idea of the buses to take the officials from Caen to Arromanches hehehehe tounge_o.gif

Actually if I counted right (and according to Dutch television) there were 18 wink_o.gif

Who are the guys with the FAMAS? Are they from a particular ceremonial regiment?

(Good speech from Chirac as well)

the soldiers wearing tan skirts and yellow shoulder pads are apart of the 2nd RIMa Marine Infantry Regiment which has served recently in Bosnia and in Ivory Coast (or ... was it Congo ?).

-Edit- : for the speech, you've got to thank Claude Chirac, Jacques' daughter. She writes most of his speeches tounge_o.gif (well, I don't know who wrote this one, but it was quite nice, eventhough Chirac isn't such a great orator)

Actually if I counted right (and according to Dutch television) there were 18 wink_o.gif

could be, but here the comentators said 14 tounge_o.gif

bah, the belgians could have done a small effort to get some ceremonial clothes instead of parading in combat fatigues

Hmh, not broadcasted here or im missing something. sad_o.gif

BBC World to the rescue. tounge_o.gif

I watched the celebrations from Normandy today and I must say: wow

Very beutiful and emotional kind of thanks on behalf of Normandy to their liberators, and you can easily tell this was liberation in a true sense of the word! smile_o.gif I was a little emotional myself, especially seeing Normandy youth handing flowers and thanking surviving veterans... really thoughtfull and well done.

Well, I for one won't forget their sacrifices.

I watched it up until the naval parade, it was beautiful. smile_o.gif

Didn't see it. Had training and weren't home at the time. sad_o.gif

yea maybe, but i dunno its just iffy to me.

Fully agree! That is why the former cancelor Helmut Kohl always inofficialy said "we do not WANT to be invited".

And he didnt say that because of arrogance but because he did not want to put the french president under to much pressure at home.

so albert you feel that it should just be allied (former) heads of state at an event dedicated to the allied soldiers who liberated France and europe?

I think it's okay that our chancellor took part. It's been 60 years and Germany now is not Germany 1944.

Actually, most French citizens (82%) are convinced that we are their best ally: Le Figaro

That's nice. And have you seen all the meetings between the german and allied veterans? They behave as if they have been friends from the start, hug each other, make jokes together. Very impressing, very touching.

0,1020,359304,00.jpg

"faire des erreurs est humain mais pardonner est divin"