Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Nogova 2004

The airport gets a total make-over and there will be enough room  smile_o.gif

Will you use these textures ?  smile_o.gif

No sorry I will use Leone's Airport textures

Quote[/b] ]biggest work would be the runway textures.. but i would really want (if i could wish) the desert to be removed..

so many times i hated the desert.. better use a desert island for desert mission then nogova

The desert isn't going to be removed since the island is Nogova but in 2004 and I don't think they can let a whole desert disappear. Most important reason is that I like the desert and it's part of Nogova's identity wink_o.gif

Just finished a vacation park with cabins. It's located were the ruins used to be if you drive north from Frymburk.

Noe19.jpg

Noe20.jpg

I also made a concrete/asphalt road in Frymburk instead of the dirt road (view from the exit of the highway)

Noe21.jpg

Suggestions are welcome  smile_o.gif

In the Farmland Objects MOD is a swimming pool. Why dont you @ it to the Vacation Park or a little lake with a small beach. Also o soccerfield as entertaining would be cool(realistic) biggrin_o.gif but for now its looking cool smile_o.gif

Hey, this looks pretty good already!

I don't know how far you're going about editing topography but how about finaly having realistic roads!?

In a similar thread (think it was about chechen island, ages ago) I suggested having roadside ditches or similar. In real life there's 3 ways to build a road that will not be floded on rainy weather or at the big melt in spring time:

1. City Streets mostly have drains (no need to simulate this)

2. Roadside ditches which are like trenches next to both sides of the road. These would make good covering positions both in real life and in OFP missions.

3. Elevated roads. The base of the pavement is heaped about 1 or 2 meters above the surrounding ground level. This would also make for good cover in combat.

Another flaw in OFP's islands is roads beeing placed along or upward very step mountains/hills. There rarely is a road with more than 24% (10-11° angle) incline/bank. In this case roads are usualy curved/cascaded.

Hope you like the idea because I would love to have some OFP missions where you can take cover from an ambush in a road side ditch or such.

Hey folks! No reaction on this one yet!?

Is this just a silly idea of mine or just not practicable? I'd really like to get some opinions on this. While I can understand people like the idea of a lot of new objects on the island (makes for a high poly count though) - How about COMBAT? More cover, more fun!

Remember to think ofthis from a multiplayer persepctive.

A team (West) driving in a small convoy of Hummers accompanied by a UH60-MG leaves Lipany and heads for the Desert Airport. They reach the bridge and another player team (East) has raised the central bridge and destroyed the operating box on the West side. After discussion there are a few possibilities.

a: travel around the river

b: leave the convoy and take the helicopter (giving East free vehicles and equipment)

c: deploy a team on the opposite side via UH60 with West team giving covering fire

d: try and jump the gap with a motorbikes and Hummers (Unit a) and UH60 giving covering fire whilst (Unit a) lowers the bridge from East side.

(West) decides for a option D strategy as its been quite boring so far, so they do for a bit of fun. Objective completed with no casualties and one broken Bike.

Fun yeah? By creating scripts that entice and promote the use of real team play and communication I believe that this will become a major multiplayer map.

add mosques

mosques ? why ? nogova is mostlikey christian(all the churches and all) rock.gif

Seeing as its Nogova "2004" will the road network in general be gettin upgraded or is it just the main roads.Heres a few "Talking Heads" roads,("Where on a road to nowhere").

nogovaroadnetwork.jpg

I've just thought of something...What about a memorial for Victor Troska or a memorial for the defence of the Island by the resistance fighters. smile_o.gif

yeah, a huge statue of Victor Troska in Lipany would be cool....

or a memorial for "those who fell for the defence of Nogova"

The motorways look great so far, but please don't make all roads connected to them look like this. They must have less than 90 degrees so that the cars don't have to brake and can enter the motorways with more speed to keep traffic more fluent.

It would look like this (without bridges and stuff of course...):

spreeau-ans.jpg

wink_o.gif

Every few hundred meters, put a break in the k-rail (or concrete medians, or whatever we're calling them today lol).  That way if you need to turn around. (I have either had to, or been with someone that had to)  Just makes it easier if you need to double back, so you can get into the correct lanes of traffic.

Yes, this is a very important part of the highways, unless there's many intersections close together, then there has to be some every 500+- meters. Remember the No-U-Turns signs. biggrin_o.gif

Don't know if it was asked, but any power plants?

@Acecube, making elevated roads and road-side ditches, while it sounds cool, is very impractical because of AI having problems crossing anything elevated above ground level. The road that is above ground level, would have to function as a "bridge" (3d road, it's not flat).

Go to OFP and see how your AI teammates behave when crossing the bridge. sad_o.gif

Victor Troska's statue and powerplant are a must! biggrin_o.gif

@Ironsight, remember to not exagerate with terrain editing. IMHO It'll look very unrealistic if whole hills or mountains all of a sudden disappear or new ones appear in the middle of bare field. wink_o.gif

@Acecube, making elevated roads and road-side ditches, while it sounds cool, is very impractical because of AI having problems crossing anything elevated above ground level. The road that is above ground level, would have to function as a "bridge" (3d road, it's not flat).

Go to OFP and see how your AI teammates behave when crossing the bridge. sad_o.gif

Thanks for the Answer. I see my idea probably was missunderstood. I didn't mean to have "addon" ditches and elevated roads like the bridge or one of the addon trenches!!!

I was talking about topographicaly elevated or lowered areas on the map. This wouldn't make a high poly count and AI wouldn't get headaches ;)

i.e. : That would be a road texture atop a flatened ridge for a elevated road. And a groove in the topography along each side of non elevated roads. Make these changes in the right proportions and moderate angles and there is the perfect realistic roadside ditches which will be good for a LOT of FUN in missions.

Imagine a team of AT-soldiers taking cover behind the pavement while tanks are approaching. Then they suddenly come up with LAWs/RPGs shouldered, FIRE, back off taking cover beeing unreachable for direct fire.

Get me?

Every few hundred meters, put a break in the k-rail (or concrete medians, or whatever we're calling them today lol).  That way if you need to turn around. (I have either had to, or been with someone that had to)  Just makes it easier if you need to double back, so you can get into the correct lanes of traffic.

Yes, this is a very important part of the highways, unless there's many intersections close together, then there has to be some every 500+- meters.  Remember the No-U-Turns signs.  biggrin_o.gif

Don't know if it was asked, but any power plants?

Thank god there's no real traffic nor cops to arrest you should you be driving in the wrong direction on a high-way!!! tounge_o.gifwink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

BUZZARD @ June 08 2004,20:57)]you should be driving in the wrong direction on a high-way!!!  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

... In a tank .... running over poor defenseless traffic  happy.gif  ghostface.gif

BUZZARD @ June 08 2004,20:57)]you should be driving in the wrong direction on a high-way!!!  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

... In a tank .... running over poor defenseless traffic  happy.gif  ghostface.gif

You sure the road is big enough??

mammoth_s.jpg

Slow, but damn unstoppable!!! biggrin_o.gif

@Acecube, ok mate, now I understand what you mean. Unfortunately this seems impossible to do too, because OFP map grid is 50 by 50 (???) meters, so the smallest depression-eleveation-depression, I mean something like that: /-\ has to be 150 meters wide. sad_o.gif

What Nogova needs is a railway  biggrin_o.gif

Using scripts from the guys at AEF Campaign (unreleased atm) and there site was last updated January  sad_o.gif

Oh and does the highway cross and rivers ?

Sorry no railway, suck at scripting and the project seems dead  sad_o.gif

And I hope these pictures answer your second question  wink_o.gif

img]http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Ironsight/Noe15.jpg[/img]

img]http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/Ironsight/Noe16.jpg[/img]

I will change the ground textures near the bridge later  wink_o.gif

I don't have time to see if this was already posted, but you can't anchor those supports to the bridge in sand. Not a good idea, even with a 500 ton concrete anchor if it sits in sand it will shift. Sorry, I had to point that out, for realism's sake. I remember one time long ago when myself and my father were building a long dock on the edge of waterfront property, and since it would only carry foot traffic we put anchored the base supports (where the dock meets the land) in sand with 3 foot poured concrete shells. It was sitting on 6 inches of sand before soil and rock. "That's not going to move any time soon". When we came back a week later, the base supports had sunk with the concrete shells and pointed backwards, snapping the dock in two. It was a good thing we used an old boat anchor half way down the dock and tied it to the floats with a chain, otherwise the enitre dock would have floated away.

The moral of the story? ONLY ANCHOR ON HARD GROUND!

Moral of another story: Please don't quote images! smile_o.gif

Victor Troska's statue and powerplant are a must!  biggrin_o.gif

@Ironsight, remember to not exagerate with terrain editing. IMHO It'll look very unrealistic if whole hills or mountains all of a sudden disappear or new ones appear in the middle of bare field. wink_o.gif

Sorry for the double post, but-

Elevate the terrain of the map, then add the road. Duh!!

What Nogova needs is a railway  biggrin_o.gif

Using scripts from the guys at AEF Campaign (unreleased atm) and there site was last updated January  sad_o.gif

Sorry no railway, suck at scripting and the project seems dead sad_o.gif

WHAT DO YOU MEAN TRAINS ARE DEAD?!? crazy_o.gif

GO THERE!!!

Trains in Ofp Thread

Them old iron horses be REVIVED!!! biggrin_o.gif

AND THEY SHALL SHAKE THE GROUND OF FLASHPOINT ISLANDS!!!

So DON'T U DARE DISCARDING THEM!!! biggrin_o.gif

I won't exagerate the terrain editing it looks quit realistic atm

mr. Reality: I will make new roads to the remote towns

HoboWithAK: Look in the last sentence of the quote you made

Quote[/b] ]I will change the ground textures near the bridge later

And to everyone who's suggesting a resistance monument: it will be made, I was already thinking of it. Anyone knows a good location?

More pictures later this day when I come home from school wink_o.gif

If it becomes big enough, it would look good on that

small island where the "river" tounge_o.gif on original Nogova ends in

the north.

~S~ CD

I think there should be something at victors house. something that says birthplace of gallant defender victor troska or something. tounge_o.gif