Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Joint operations: typhoon rising

I recently bought this game and love it. I think it is agreat game when you just want to go out and have a quick paced action game. It's not realistic at all, but still fun IMO biggrin_o.gif. I especially like how most of the ground is covered with 1 foot tall grass! This makes it fun to just sit in the middle of a field prone and wait for the stupid other players to run by while you hit 'em with your knife tounge_o.gif.

Nova games have always had good use for grass. In DF2 I played a map where the enemies base was in tall grass and it was search and destroy so i just crawled through their base and set my satchels, at one point some guy ran right over me and didnt see me. Won the game like that.

Hopefully the game we are all waiting for will make some good use of tall grass as well.

Nova games have always had good use for grass.

DF: Land Warrior didn't have grass, so that isn't exactly true.

But Land Warrior was set in a desert, so you can't really compare them wink_o.gif

I ike the demo for some quick fun ,but i won't buy the full game.

With it's 100 players support and some nice vehicle's it has some strong point's ,deffinatly better that BF series to that respect.Also has a low amount of realism ,better than BF were reallism is about non existant.

Still ,don't like the jump option (bunnyhoppers) ,there are way to much snipers and the lack of an extensive infantry arsenal bothers me. (to few rifles and equipment)

I've played the demo - overall I like the game, but I don't think I'd buy it. The sys reqs hurt even my computer (A64 3200, 1 gig DDR, FX5600) and sometimes I just get overwhelmed - it's rare that I kill someone and when I do, it's more sheer luck than anything else. crazy_o.gif

Nova games have always had good use for grass. In DF2 I played a map where the enemies base was in tall grass and it was search and destroy so i just crawled through their base and set my satchels, at one point some guy ran right over me and didnt see me. Won the game like that.

Hopefully the game we are all waiting for will make some good use of tall grass as well.

The grass in joint ops disappear after 50 meters, i really don´t see what is the good thing in that. Althought it´s funny to watch from 200m and see people crawling in open space and thinking that they´re hiding in tall grass biggrin_o.gif

I pray the gaming gods that ofp2 don´t have that rendering grass.

@ July 06 2004,21:03)]The grass in joint ops disappear after 50 meters, i really don´t see what is the good thing in that. Althought it´s funny to watch from 200m and see people crawling in open space and thinking that they´re hiding in tall grass biggrin_o.gif

That's why we always used to call them NoLogic.

The grass back in DF2 didn't have such problems. But then they completely changed the graphics interface when they published LW.

But Land Warrior was set in a desert, so you can't really compare them wink_o.gif

No it wasn't...I guess you only played the demo? wink_o.gif

I just dl and played the demo, I think its fun.Has its quirks.I was Medic and was kicking butt,fun reviving people and taking over points.Played the first game with like 30 people and was smooth, then I played a few maps with a game of 100 people and there was gunfire all over.Hard to see the enemy at times,you can fire from most vehicle positions which is neet.The game of 100 people would get choppy at times but overall was ok.

My system specs currently (changes at times)

P4 2.8,512 ddr,Geforce Fx5600 ultra,WinXp

It played ok,its not no OFP and doesn't have the realism,its more arcadish

DF2 was the best nova game. It didnt have that grass glitch in it and the first time I played MP i was amazed. Came in on some map where there is a tower and an armor on your hill and a tower and an armory on the opponents with bunkers barbed wire and tanks in the middle.

I got in and I looked down over the bunkers and tanks and just saw LAWs and tracers flying back and forth between sides it was the coolest thing I had seen in a game up til then. but now OFP has the coolest stuff ever.

I give thanks to Nova for bringing me into OFP though because I never wouldve known OFP exsisted without someone I met playing DF2.

After DF2 though they all started to suck BHD was fun for a while but once you start using a bolt action rifle in alleys and still owning people with MP5s and SAWs you kinda lose interest.

they fixed thje grass issue in the full version, the grass in df2 and 1 was possible due to their voxel engine, a 6 sided polygon over a triangle, the downside is its all software, videocards do not support it so they were forced to go down the triangle path with LW.

I had the same problem with tex and downloaded the newest ati drivers and patch for the game. Now it gets stuck in the graphics card test screen (infinite loop or something...). On top of that now I cannot modify my desktop display settings, (no responce when I select them) and I cannot get rid of the problem when I roll back the drivers. What the hell is going on?

Sounds like you need to download some ATI driver removal utility, run it, reboot and reinstall the last driver version that was working for you.

I was Medic and was kicking butt,fun reviving people and taking over points.

No problem with people calling for a medic and then respawning just seconds before you can reach them? Kind of takes the fun out of being medic. Another bug is, medics dont get any points for helping injured players who are still alive.

So most medics wont help you until you are dead (like the NHS i guess wink_o.gif ) When you are badly injured the most reasonable thing to do is staying close to a medic and hope that you die before he does... sad_o.gif

I was just reading the Gamespot review. They make all the review comparing it to BF42, which places it in the right field, in my view, but then they say things like "new realistic day/night cycle" as if it was unheard of before.

If i remember correctly Gamespot awarded Game of the Year to Flashpoint, so they must have some short memories there....

They add it half right with DF2, improving the series with better graphics and more realistic gameplay could have made the DF series a very good one and i still had some hope after the DFLW disaster but they decided to copy other games features, make rushed and buggy fast releases, cash in on RL stuff and go with the BF style. They also dont seem to have or to be able to develop a good engine to build their games on. Too bad.

I was just reading the Gamespot review. They make all the review comparing it to BF42, which places it in the right field, in my view, but then they say things like "new realistic day/night cycle" as if it was unheard of before.

If i remember correctly Gamespot awarded Game of the Year to Flashpoint, so they must have some short memories there....

its just that joint ops takes advantage of this, by allowing the admin to speed things up so it dose get dark or the sun comes up while you play, in ofp you never really noticed it.

@ June 18 2004,09:35)]I have an odd video issue with this demo- ingame, the world is pitch black, barring the sun/moon shining over head. When I put on my NVGs everything's fine, but that's a pain in the ass when it's bright out, what with the over-gain from excess light. I have no idea what's going on- anyone else experiencing this?

edit: to clarify, the gameworld is completely black: no tracers, no muzzle flashes, nothing. The GUI is visible just fine, though.

this is a problem with ati cards, ither turn off af, or one of the settings in video settings cant rember which one, something to do with effects :/.

Anything more specific to fix that?