Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

Us presidential election 2004

Quote[/b] ]I don't think you heard that right. He didn't say God was on his side. In fact, he said quite the opposite. Quoting Lincoln, he humbly hoped that he was on the side of God. Not at all the same arrogant claim the right has insisted on making all along.

I was saying that other people before Bush used the term before him (WWII and the Cold War).

What has that to do with the price of cheese?

Quote[/b] ]Given that Kerry's campaign is so much further ahead than Gore's ever was and that everyone now knows Bush so much better than in 2000 I'm going to predict a landslide victory for the Democrats this November.

want bet... rock.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Sure.

For every percentage of the popular vote that Kerry gets more than Bush I get 100 of your postcount.

For every percentage of the popular vote that Bush gets more than Kerry you get 200 of my postcount.

That's right, I'm offering you 2:1 odds.  If you agree then just say so and we can ask Placebo to accommodate and officiate.

What do you say?   smile_o.gif

Sure.

For every percentage of the popular vote that Kerry gets more than Bush I get 100 of your postcount.

For every percentage of the popular vote that Bush gets more than Kerry you get 200 of my postcount.

That's right, I'm offering you 2:1 odds. If you agree then just say so and we can ask Placebo to accommodate and officiate.

What do you say? smile_o.gif

What if certain cronies of a certain 'president' tamper with the way the votes are counted and who can and cannot vote?

Quote[/b] ]Sure.

That's right, I'm offering you 2:1 odds.  If you agree then just say so and we can ask Placebo to accommodate and officiate.

Bring it on.... tounge_o.gif

What if certain cronies of a certain 'president' tamper with the way the votes are counted and who can and cannot vote?

Well then the first person I'd suspect is billybob2002.  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Well then the first person I'd suspect is billybob2002.

The uber secret plan has been discovered!!!

Back on-topic....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/29/bush.911.ap/index.html

Quote[/b] ]

White House moves on 9/11 report

Aides drafting executive orders

Thursday, July 29, 2004 Posted: 2:14 PM EDT (1814 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Wrapping up a weeklong vacation on his Texas ranch, President Bush on Thursday led a videoconference meeting of his working group on the September 11 commission's recommendations.

Spokesman Trent Duffy said the group was making "great progress," but he would not elaborate on how close Bush was to receiving or approving executive orders implementing some recommendations.

Administration officials have said that presidential approval of some of the changes suggested by the commission could come by early next week.

The White House, pressed by victims' families and by Democrat John Kerry, is eager to show it is moving on the politically sensitive issue. A working group created by Bush to study the commission's recommendations met by videoconference twice Wednesday, once with Bush participating.

Any orders signed by Bush would immediately put into place some proposals made by the September 11 commission. A senior administration official said aides were finishing draft versions to present to Bush, who would adopt some or all of them soon.

Kerry, Bush's opponent in the presidential campaign, says Bush should implement the commission's proposals immediately. Kerry also wants the panel's life extended 18 months to ensure reforms are adopted. (Kerry wants to expand commission)

The Family Steering Committee, activist families who lobbied successfully for an independent commission to investigate the attacks, stepped up pressure on lawmakers to take action on recommendations that need congressional approval. They said they would draw up a watch list of Congress members who oppose legislation to implement September 11 commission recommendations.

"We're going to watch events unfold in Congress, and we want America to watch as well," said Lorie Van Auken, who lost her husband at the World Trade Center. "We need to have a list of the lawmakers. ... We need to follow who's opposing and disagreeing and why."

Talk of keeping public track of congressional opponents comes even before legislation has been offered to implement the recommendations, a sign of how intent some September 11 families are to maintain the momentum of public opinion for quick changes.

"This watchdog list, this report card, it's a shame that it's come to this, but we want to work with everyone to ensure that people aren't just feigning cooperation," said Kristen Breitweiser, one of the most outspoken advocates among September 11 families.

Already, pressure from the families has produced results.

When the commission released its 567-page report last week, Congress had planned to be away for all of August. But several committees quickly scheduled a return to Washington to hold hearings on the panel's findings.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, announced even more Wednesday. He said at least six committees will hold at least 15 hearings in August on such issues as information sharing, terror financing, intelligence analysis and government reorganization. In a statement, he anticipated congressional action on legislative recommendations in September and October.

The commission's final report urges rapid fundamental changes in how the legislative and executive branches oversee the nation's intelligence apparatus, asking that oversight be consolidated into one group of lawmakers, with one person in the White House who answers directly to the president.

Bush, vacationing in Crawford, Texas, has said he will study the proposals but has stopped short of endorsing them.

Several of the working group members, including acting CIA Director John McLaughlin, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, FBI Director Robert Mueller and Attorney General John Ashcroft, had met Wednesday at the White House. (Bush, advisers review 9/11 report proposals)

They were linked by videoconference to several top officials who were outside the White House, including the head of the working group, White House chief of staff Andy Card; Secretary of State Colin Powell, traveling overseas; and national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, who was with Bush on his Texas ranch.

Anybody know you was that guy drinking beer in a cup behind Edwards... rock.gif  rock.gif  (I laugh when the camera when to Edwards and the guy had the beer in his hand.)

Edit: 2:34 AM...must sleep...good night to all...

This country is realy special. The presentation of the Kerry resembled a baseball match.

People dressed funnily, popcorn, peanuts, refreshments ... and a pretty say-it-all-without-saying-anything speech... a little Hollywood film presentation about Kerry's heroic life. Hell, do that in germany and the press would kill you and the voters would think you are a candidate of the carnival festival!

This country is realy special. The presentation of the Kerry resembled a baseball match.

People dressed funnily, popcorn, peanuts, refreshments ... and a pretty say-it-all-without-saying-anything speech... a little Hollywood film presentation about Kerry's heroic life. Hell, do that in germany and the press would kill you and the voters would think you are a candidate of the carnival festival!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....orks_dc

Quote[/b] ]Network executives argue that a steady decline in ratings for the Democratic and Republican conventions in recent years is proof of waning public interest as the events evolve into tightly scripted political infomercials devoid of real news.

Pass the popcorn. biggrin_o.gif

Indeed it's like a circus.

Anyway, the speech was OK and Kerry made a good delivery.

What i find most interesting in all of this is the difference in tones in commercials and speeches.

Kerry: If i am president I will .....

Bush: Kerry said this ! Kerry said that!

While Kerry actually talks about his plans all i hear from bush is mudslinging but not a single word about the platform he is running on. Maybe bush should finally tell the world what his plans are and not come up with hollow phrases like "patriotisme" and "Weapons of mass destruction". I think European - american relations wont survive another 4 years of bushisme smile_o.gif

While Kerry actually talks about his plans all i hear from bush is mudslinging but not a single word about the platform he is running on.

Maybe that's because the media under-reports it.

President Bush's agenda.

It's been there for a long time. A simple search would have found it. Or maybe you were just mudslinging? rock.gif

While Kerry actually talks about his plans all i hear from bush is mudslinging but not a single word about the platform he is running on.

Maybe that's because the media under-reports it.

President Bush's agenda.

It's been there for a long time. A simple search would have found it. Or maybe you were just mudslinging? rock.gif

Being that you are not in America, you have no idea what he is talking about.

The commercials aired in America all are Bush mudslinging against Kerry, while Kerry's tend to be geared toward what he would do if President, and their overall general theme of "hope".

The internet is all fine and dandy, but how many are actually going to go SEARCHING for Bush's "agenda" (other than blowing the world up and making way for the Lord Of Darkness to come).

The fact is the TV is what the majority of Americans get their opinions, and THAT is what he is talking about.

The underreporting part might be true .... or maybe it was because bush was away on yet another vacation on his ranch for a week. If this is what he is running on I am not surprised it isnt really being reported on. There is nothing new? Basically he is going to cut taxes for the well off again under the pretence of creating jobs. He is going to give employers more money under the pretence of creating more jobs. Which it will ..... in india! His international policies havent changed either, we all have seen how good those have been proving itself wink_o.gif I am very interested what we are going to hear from the Republican convention in NY. Hope it isnt going to be the same old rehashed stuff that have proved such a mixed blessing (to put it mildly).

Albert, the introductory speech is not the proper venue to get into platofrm details. It's supposed to cover the basics and basically say it all without giving too much detail. It's why he invited those interested in voting for him to visit his website and to get involved in the grassroots effort. The details will be fleshed out over the next 3 months.

I think Kerry should just go for the honest slogan: "Vote for me, the lesser of two evils!" unclesam.gif

hehehe biggrin_o.gif

Hi all

If you have been ethused by the Democratic Convention and all the Great Speaches from Barack ObAma, Bill Clinton, Al Sharpton, John Edwards and John F. Kerry remember you need to register to vote.

It dont mean a damn if you dont Vote!

The only way to affect who will be in the White House after the next election is to register to vote and then on election day Vote! Remember if you are a US voter and your abroad you can still vote but register now. The more people who turn out the better the vote will be.

Get your official national Voter registration forms from this link here:

http://www.fec.gov/votregis/vr.htm

That is the form that allows you to decide who will be the next president and vice president of the USA. In a democracy it is your only real power. Use it.

Please Note the Following Exceptions:

* New Hampshire town and city clerks will accept this application only as a request for their own mail-in absentee voter registration form.

* North Dakota does not have voter registration.

* Wyoming cannot accept this form under State law.

Here is where you can register to vote

http://www.fec.gov/votregis/where_can_i_register_to_vote02.htm

Quote[/b] ]Registration applications may be obtained from either the local election official in your county or city, or through registration outreach programs sponsored by such groups as the League of Women Voters.  In addition, you can also register to vote when applying for a driver’s license or identity card at State DMV or driver's licensing offices, State offices providing public assistance, State offices providing State-funded programs for the disabled, and at armed forces recruitment offices.

Many States also offer registration opportunities at public libraries, post offices, unemployment offices, and at public high schools and universities. Colleges, universities, and trade schools participating in federal student loan programs also offer voter registration applications to enrolled students prior to general elections.

FAQs about using the National Voter Registration form

http://www.fec.gov/votregis/faqs_about_national_mail_form02.htm

Time is getting short.

The deadlines for registration in some states are fast aproaching Register to Vote now

http://www.fec.gov/votregis/state_voter_reg_deadlines02.htm

Going to be abroad?

If you are abroad and need to register an absentee ballot you need this site it will guide you through the process: http://www.fvap.gov/

In the Army?

If you are serving abroad and need to register an absentee ballot you need this site it will guide you through the process:

https://www.perscomonline.army.mil/tagd....dex.htm

In the Marines?

If you are serving abroad or at sea and need to register an absentee ballot you need this site it will guide you through the process:

https://lnweb1.manpower.usmc.mil/manpowe....ng+Home

In the Navy?

If you are serving abroad or at sea and need to register an absentee ballot you need this site it will guide you through the process:

http://www.persnet.navy.mil/nvap/

In the Air Force?

If you are serving abroad and need to register an absentee ballot you need this site it will guide you through the process:

http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/votefund/

In the Coastguard?

http://www.uscg.mil/hq....nce.htm

Registration Deadlines fast Aproaching don't Delay

Remeber if you are voting Abroad the Deadlines can be very short Register now. Here is a quote from ShinRaden on that very subject:

Quote[/b] ]In many places you will find voter registration forms. Before you fill any of them out, you need to read the information available from the online editions that Walker has linked. If the copy you find elsewhere has the same boxes, but not the same state requirements printed, it is invalid, and using it will not get you registered. If you want to register for an absentee (mail-in) ballot, check with your local county elections division, as the dates to register as an absentee are sometimes earlier than the ordinary registration deadlines.

Use this information now! Register to vote! And on the day Vote! or this will hapen to you.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/declareyourself/ud/dogfood_medium.html

Kind Regards Walker

I agree with Albert, US politics is too flashy for me. It looks to outsiders that, unless your rich, you wouldnt stand a chance running for president.....you couldnt afford all the campaigning.....hell, they call Britain a class divided society, but at least anyone (potentially) could have a shot at power......

Yeah, it's quite different in Europe. We don't have this 'personal' flare to the elections. The candidates are chosen by the parties - according to an internal structure. There is never a question of personal charisma or popularity. The party you vote for is the relevant thing - the individual candidates are much less of an issue. That's why most of our politicians are so damn ugly wink_o.gif

Another thing is that it's much less of a show here. When a candidate talks to a crowd, it is pretty much a dull event. He/she talks and the crowd listens. No silly hats, big signs etc. Much less money is spent on the campaigns. Advertising is done genrally through posters in public areas, ads in news papers and to some limited extent TV commercials.

I think currently the only exception in Europe is Italy and Berlusconi.

And I would say that is a better system, because a good leader can not be determined purely by social order/show, it used to be like that in in primate times, but today you should look for better qualities than how he/she is at parties/shows. wink_o.gif diss...

Quote[/b] ]Given that Kerry's campaign is so much further ahead than Gore's ever was and that everyone now knows Bush so much better than in 2000 I'm going to predict a landslide victory for the Democrats this November.

want bet... rock.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Sure.

What do you say?   smile_o.gif

Bring it on.... tounge_o.gif

OK.  Placebo has PM'd us with his blessings.  The wager is on.  biggrin_o.gif

Edit:  Btw, this only applies to Bush vs Kerry.  Naturally if one of the candidates stops running for the presidency then the wager is off.

And let's not forget that Bush was elected in a year ending in zero.  See Tecumseh's Curse. No president elected in a zero-year has survived his term in office since 1840, except for Reagan, but an assassin's bullet missed his heart by an inch.

Not to mention the insane amount of nitpicking, "shove it" or "fuck off" gets covered way too much, hell, one of our previous presidents called openly certain people "goddamn fuckups" and held his office for over 20 years. crazy_o.gif

Yeah, it's quite different in Europe. We don't have this 'personal' flare to the elections. The candidates are chosen by the parties - according to an internal structure. There is never a question of personal charisma or popularity.

Yup, very true regarding European Prime Ministers.  Personality, background and charisma have a lot more influence on deciding European Presidents who have recently often been poets and writers in Central Europe.

Although the national presidents' positions here are largely ceremonial, I can forsee a time when selecting the EU president becomes a bit more circus-like.