Sign in to follow this  
Badassdom

Large ships

We're gonna work to make our first Arleigh Burke release public. Also, the idea of Hawk's carrier has taken effect and we've decided to add deck guns and the like via script with crews. This all depends though.

Later versions may have a move script and a detailed interior.

By the time OFP2 comes around, if the project is still alive, it will feature a totally revamped interior with more polys and better textures. We'll also take advantage of the new features the enhanced OFP2 engine has to offer that can be seen in VBS1.

We, frankly, need all the support we can get, which has been lacking from this community. The model's done, just needs some polys taken out, and we're a go for texturing and the like.

One thing that can work is that if they open the maximum length up and allow movement on moving objects (ie relative movement) then I can just join my sections back together and have a operational ship.

They all afterall came from a single model in the first place (pre o2)

Big, big, big long scripts.

No thats not true cause: You can make scripts how long you want them to be but in this case: Just create a small script wich does it and create name tags like:

@part1:

and so on

The script will be much smaller and oversighted.

<<< No scripter.

<<< Needs scripters.

<<< Needs texturers

Hey, I got an idea on how you can have a moving ship, AND have all the stuff on the ship move with the ship:

Basically, you would need the mission editor to place a trigger on the map, and make it the same size as the ship (I dunno, rectangular and 700x200 or something). Activation needs to be set to 'anybody present'.

Next, you have a script that continually moves and rotates the trigger with the ship.

You also have that script move every unit and vehicle in that triggers list with the ship as well. This would be the tricky part, but definately possible. Empty vehicles could pose a problem if they aren't they caught by triggers (are they?), but this could also be dealt with.

The only thing you couldn't catch with this method would be static objects. HOWEVER, you could let the mission editor pass an array to the script of all the objects he has placed aboard the ship. Assuming these objects never move, it would be no problem to also make them move with the ship.

Also, I think this has been said already, but just to make it clear; you can have moving ships that are really STATIC objects, not vehicles. You just need to have a setpos loop really. This assumes that the large ships aren't going to be running into other ships, or running into land of course, but with aircraft carriers/etc, this really shouldn't be a problem (assuming you are making a realistic mission).

Any thoughts on my ideas above?

Hey, I got an idea on how you can have a moving ship, AND have all the stuff on the ship move with the ship:

Basically, you would need the mission editor to place a trigger on the map, and make it the same size as the ship (I dunno, rectangular and 700x200 or something). Activation needs to be set to 'anybody present'.

Next, you have a script that continually moves and rotates the trigger with the ship.

You also have that script move every unit and vehicle in that triggers list with the ship as well. This would be the tricky part, but definately possible. Empty vehicles could pose a problem if they aren't they caught by triggers (are they?), but this could also be dealt with.

The only thing you couldn't catch with this method would be static objects. HOWEVER, you could let the mission editor pass an array to the script of all the objects he has placed aboard the ship. Assuming these objects never move, it would be no problem to also make them move with the ship.

Also, I think this has been said already, but just to make it clear; you can have moving ships that are really STATIC objects, not vehicles. You just need to have a setpos loop really. This assumes that the large ships aren't going to be running into other ships, or running into land of course, but with aircraft carriers/etc, this really shouldn't be a problem (assuming you are making a realistic mission).

Any thoughts on my ideas above?

a problem i can see with this is that on slower end machines the cpu would grind to a hault, as its constantly getting unit pos'es and setting them again ? crazy_o.gifsad_o.gif

Given the map sizes, unless you want to make maps with reduced landmass, there isn't really enough water to make ships over cruiser size usefull.

For shore bombardment, ships wouldn't have to move, neither would they for boarding combat, as you really wouldn't notice the ships motion while in a firefight on the deck anyway.

Errm, what about the Zubr and the LCAC? They're large, have to come to land, and need to be able to carry MBTs... would they be possible?? Would some corageous team be able to make them?? PLEASE??

Hi,

for Making Coops ships have been a bit too dangerous with the one live idea of most coops i made.

Since you cant swim. Imagine you start and cause of a texture/modell bug you fall threw the ship end mission is over for the player.

I rather made my missions starting from ground and not playing on any Water base cause of that risk.

The Nimitz Carrier (Hawk) is very nice, still has a some bugs and is static, but its fully working (all i would want), no really a need for moving it:)

BAS tried something like the vehicle moving in/on another vehicle by their Chinook (MH-47), which is in my opinion the best way around the game limits.

At this point i wanna thank all addon makers for their effort and time they put in every addon we have out for OFP.

I can only guess how much time, but i know enough to know its a lot.... biggrin_o.gif

Greetings

Daywalker

Your going to like the Ro-Ro ships we haev already built for the Falklands. Big open decks, with a few containers and vehicles placed using setpos they will be quite interesting for onboard fighting, espeically as they also have large rear operational ramps that can be used to transfer to shore (or other ships).

Will the Falklands Mod LCU's be independent addons or will they part of the mod? If its part of a mod, I hope you guys will allow other mod team's to modify it once its released because MANY mods could REALLY use a good LCU.

It would be fantastic to see Earl and Suchey's Marines along with some of Sigma's M1 tanks and LAV-25's deploying off of one of those.

As for an LCAC, I could have sworn someone made a model a long time ago... but never released it.

I too would REALLY like to see that as well as larger conventional landing craft that can carry tanks.

So...still no takers for modifying the old Zubr with a vehicle carrying script?

I might take a crack at it, but I suck at scripting (I generally use trial and error methods of modification with no clue as to what the parts of the script actually do).

If anyone (especially you Russian addon makers out there) could do this, I think it would really add a nice vehicle for Russian missions. It would be awesome to see the Zubr disembarking not only infantry but also VIT's APC's (BTR-80's, BMP-3's ect...).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

As for an LCAC, I could have sworn someone made a model a long time ago...  but never released it.  

There is a model made by the IM:UC MOD look in their thread here on the forums wink_o.gif

The Lcu will be part of the Falklands pack, but I will also have the files available for those who ask.

A problem i can see with this is that on slower end machines the cpu would grind to a hault, as its constantly getting unit pos'es and setting them again ?  crazy_o.gif  sad_o.gif

Yes and no... it would depend on how many units/objects were moving with the ship. If it were a relatively small number, say less than a dozen, then I don't think it would be much of a drain on slower CPUs. But yes, if you tried to do something like put a crew of 100 sailors onboard, along with lots of other equipment, that would definately be a huge drain on almost any CPU.

But for most practical applications (maybe an aircraft carrier with 5 planes and 20 crew), it should work fine for most mid-upper range systems.

Anybody interested in the Arleigh Burke or do I have to 'suspend' the project again? Everything seems centered on Falklands.

ME ME ME ME ME MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

The Nimitz NEEDS a protective force around it!!! SINCE THERER AREN'T ANY TICONDEROGAS AROUND... BRING ON THE ARLEIGH BURKES!!! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Any pics Mspencer?

I have a Kaga AC Carrier that I started a while ago, quite large.

The problem with setpos people (soldiers) is that while they are being setpos they lose control.

In other words,if the ship is moving and you are setpos soldiers,they wont be able to walk and change direction on their free will while under setpos control.

I am very interested in Carriers and walking on moving vehicles and have done some work with it,never completed it.I believe it is fully possible.

frontab.JPG

fullab.JPG

sideab.JPG

Shows the cuts used to implement the model. Futher poly reduction is currently being done, but due to lack of support from the community, work is suspended indefinitely.

What kind of support do you need?If you need help lowering it let me know.Ill help drop them numbers.

Wow that is very nice ! And like Nzxshadows said...what kind of support do you need?

Moral support: Great job ! Keep it up, we would like it !

Only other support I could offer is config'n and scripting.That kind of texturing is beyond my capabilities and time.

1,300 texturers

Someone to reduce polys

Scripter/Config person

Someone who knows about US Navy uniforms

Someone who can make Sailors in US Navy uniforms

The model looks excellent MSpencer, sorry I dont really have any addon making skill or Id offer to help. One suggestion that I have though for lowering the poly count is to make the bottom of the boat square since it will all be under the waterline anyways, that should shave off a few polys.