Sign in to follow this  
Badassdom

Large ships

The bit about waterline, yes really remove anything below 2m below the waterline (I leave this amount as statics do not move up and down with the sea and it looks odd occasionally seeing underneath a ship).

If static also remove al the weapons and build them as sperate models, this means you can then place all of them on the ship and they all can be used. One side affect from this is that if you want personnel to be moving around a ships exterior decks you may need to add a few ladders where they would not of been in real life unless you have internals too.

When setting the weapons up, one very important thing I found... give them loads of fuel but 0 speed otherwise they can end up hanging in the air like the bis 50cal does (this fuel seems to give thema gravity effect, setpos just above location and it drops to rest on location!).

It also looks like it needs some resizing too. It's definetely out of scale.

1. We've chopped up the ship so that the missile batteries, weapons, and certain segments are seperate.

2. It's in scale.

Ad2. No, it isn't. Judging from this pic, it is 12 meters high (keel to mast top)!!! (Don't know height of the real thing, but I'm sure it's more than that). Keep in mind that O2 grid is 1x1 meter. Also, you don't need to cut it into sections shorter than 60 meters, so the whole ship (~140 meters long) should come in no more than 3 sections.

Ahhhhhh it isn't in scale.... grr... time to go a modellin...

That's all beyond my skills. I need someone who knows more about O2 than it's a molecule.

The problem with setpos people (soldiers) is that while they are being setpos they lose control.

In other words,if the ship is moving and you are setpos soldiers,they wont be able to walk and change direction on their free will while under setpos control.

Argh!!! I forgot about that... crazy_o.gif

An alternative might lie in the setvelocity command, but the problem there is that you have to setpos soldiers above the ground to use it. Dang, I'm outta ideas now ghostface.gif

Mspencer...ya it only appears less than 7 meters wide according to the pics.Thats no biggie though.Its easy to scale it

General Barron...setpos isn't necessarily needed for soldiers,because you can walk on moving vehicles,its when you stop that you fall thru and all the inactive objects will fall thru also.So its really just a matter of keeping objects active.And from the video of the latest VBS, appears we have no worries for OFP2 (thought I saw a group of soldiers crouching on that moving chopper)

Of course this is where I need help. First, the whole support thing was to see if the project would get more than one download (me) sad_o.gif .

Secondly, I need a virtual army of modellers and texturers. Ok, maybe not of modellers, but an army of texturers. This boat came with a texture but it got lost in the O2 conversion and it would look horrible in OFP. It looks like a Far Cry texture so...

Third, I need people to actually take interest in what we're trying to achieve. By all means, ask questions, make donations!

And we need crew too.

Enlisted

USN Shipboard <working> uniform

Light sky blue cotton shirt <short sleeved>

Dark blue Denim Dungarees <think bell bottom blue jeans>

Boondockers <take combat boot, lower upper to normal shoe level>

Name tapes, dark blue with white lettering, rank dark blue subdued on sleeves.

CPO& Officers

USN Shipboard Khakis <Chief Petty Officers and Officers>

Short sleeved cotton Khaki shirt

Khaki dress pants

Dress shoes <black, patent leather 1 pr>

Nameplates <the kind you see on dress uniforms>

rank insignia on collar, brass.

Someone else got any pics? I can't be uploading anything currently.

Didn't someone start a Kuzetsnov russian carrier? And was it finished?

All I need is a couple of Yak's and we can have topgun esque Carrier protection missions!

As long as they aren't like the ones made so far (they gotta be AT LEAST as good as Col. Klink's Harrier)...

That Arleigh Burke ship is now 6352 points with 6750 faces.Shes still now sea worthy but shes getting there.Just stripping her down and rebuilding it.

Good job, NZXSHADOWS smile_o.gif 6750 faces is quite acceptable, especially in the middle of the ocean. I wish I could help you with this, guys, unfortunatelly I have no time at all... sad_o.gif Still, I'm very interested in developments in this project.

what about the merchant ship by sigma-6?

any new information?

This assumes that the large ships aren't going to be running into other ships, or running into land of course, but with aircraft carriers/etc, this really shouldn't be a problem (assuming you are making a realistic mission).

Any thoughts on my ideas above?

Steering the thing is not a problem, but.

I had a quick try at moving one of the Nimitz's sections, I could only move it in increments of at least 1m.

It looks kind of wierd at this speed

It should. I think if we can lock the Arleigh down to 50 knots we're good to go.

Quote[/b] ]It should. I think if we can lock the Arleigh down to 50 knots we're good to go.

Do you mean that you dont want the ship to go over 50 knots ?

cause i wrote a very nice anchor script for my destroyer that i'll also use to stop the destroyer going over 32knots

Definitely. The top speed is somewhere around the 50s I believe.

I'll requisition some of those scripts. :P

If I worked it our correctly 50 knots=25m per second?

If you can only move the ship in 1 meter steps and animations look smooth at 25 frames per second, then the speed can only be in increments of 50 knots. So you would instantly travel at a speed 50 knots from standing, without any gradual acceleration.

If you wanted to move at 25 knots you would have to move each section 1m every two seconds, which starts looking really strange IMHO sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you wanted to move at 25 knots you would have to move each section 1m every two seconds, which starts looking really strange IMHO

Well that depends on 2 things,

1 if your ship is a cut-away with sections  sad_o.gif

2 if your ship is a solid ship with no cutaway sections  wow_o.gif  (cough cough.............destroyer wink_o.gif   )

Quote[/b] ]It should. I think if we can lock the Arleigh down to 50 knots we're good to go.

Do you mean that you dont want the ship to go over 50 knots ?

cause i wrote a very nice anchor script for my destroyer that i'll also use to stop the destroyer going over 32knots

Top speed of Arleigh Burke is about 50 Kilometers per hour, not knots! crazy_o.gif

FAS ORG Arleigh Burke stats

2 if your ship is a solid ship with no cutaway sections  wow_o.gif  (cough cough.............destroyer wink_o.gif   )

Well, the LSD is larger in size than the Arleigh Burke and THAT was made in 1 piece... wink_o.gif