Sign in to follow this  
Sigma-6

Talk armour and tank addons

I'm making this thread because people have been complaining that all the tank and armour addon threads are discussions about 'which tank is better and which one can do what'.

With any luck, any such discussions of tanks and AFVs (referring, obviously, directly to addons of them, to maintain the relevance to the addon discussion forum) can be confined to this thread. . . and I'd like to enlist the help of the moderators (if they'd be so kind) to direct those discussions to this thread. . .

Yip. This thread is a good idea. My favourite AIFV in OFP at the moment is the FDF CV-9030. It would be great to have the whole series of this vehicle, in no country markings, and on the Resistance side. Imagine having the CV-90SPAAG, CV-90120 Light Tank, CV-90 AMOS and CV-30 Command and engineer vehicles available.

Is there maybe a prpblem at the moment of having no standard ( ie: almost JAM like) with the ammunition and ballistics of each addon? Addons makers could define Armour, Muzzle velocity and other factors while the Standard Ammunition types allows more realism and playability to the battle field. I dunno...

Cheers to Sigma, FDF, SFP, CSLA and all the others who submit their vehicles to the community. They are ambushed in the Chechen hills by me in the end... smile_o.gif

I love sigmas tanks they rock

frankly, we both ambush them though and snypir too, we ambush and kill hi sad_o.gif sucks crazy_o.gif

We were talking about that standard issue. . .

I'm sure all the people involved in that in the DKM BE thread will eventually make their way here. . .

I've just finished my move, so I may have time to work on the document we were discussing (a database of values). . .

Addons like the MMP Marder I just downloaded are raising the standard to new heights. Luvin it!

Hmm - normally only live in the A&M: C area but i guess this is a good new thread to monitor biggrin_o.gif

Glad to hear you've finished your move Sigma - I'm the guy who was harping on about the database . . . . . so whenever you have the time my spreadsheet is ready for more data!

Addons like the MMP Marder I just downloaded are raising the standard to new heights. Luvin it!

Yeah! You are right! The textures and details of this vehicle are just amazing!

I'm looking forward to the new RHS tanks. Especially the T-90 pack. It's time to give the M1A1 an enemy which is equal!

Of course there is a T90 (not sure who made it  sad_o.gif ) but i've the feeling that this one isn't as good armored as the Abrams.

Yeah! You are right! The textures and details of this vehicle are just amazing!

I'm looking forward to the new RHS tanks. Especially the T-90 pack. It's time to give the M1A1 an enemy which is equal!

Of course there is a T90 (not sure who made it  sad_o.gif ) but i've the feeling that this one isn't as good armored as the Abrams.

The previous version of Sigma's t90 has been released under the ONS banner.

Not sure who else made a t90.

@ Sigma-6

What do you think, should every tank have radar for the gunner and tank-commander or only the commander.

Some APCs/Tanks have gunner-radar, some not.

I am a new beta tester for mmp and talked to the maker of the Marder 1A3.

He likes the realism of not having gunner radar.

Looking at the BMD3 (VITAPC), it has gunner radar.

BIS Bradley has not.

Should an addon maker going the "BIS-way" or the "User Addon-way"?

MfG Lee

@ Sigma-6

What do you think, should every tank have radar for the gunner and tank-commander or only the commander.

Some APCs/Tanks have gunner-radar, some not.

I am a new beta tester for mmp and talked to the maker of the Marder 1A3.

He likes the realism of not having gunner radar.

Looking at the BMD3 (VITAPC), it has gunner radar.

BIS Bradley has not.

MfG Lee

What if none of them had radar then you could feel the heat of beeing a comander which bothe have to place his tank right while he is giving new tagets to his gunner(he dosent have to do that its the gunners job but it makes the tank faster at killing and there by improves the survivability of the tank). This would also give cover a meaning to the game and you wouldent be able to see a tank parked behind trees and bushes. I have a question tho would theis ghive an unfair fight bethwen AI and Human beacuse the Ai could see you when you can't see him, would he not shot at all or are the othe engine problems.

STGN

Quote[/b] ]The previous version of Sigma's t90 has been released under the ONS banner.

Not sure who else made a t90.

The only T90 released so far that I'm aware of is the one released originally at ONS by Sigma.

This would also give cover a meaning to the game and you wouldent be able to see a tank parked behind trees and bushes.

I think disabling the locking ability of the gun improves adversarial maps a lot (if you don't play on a server with weapon cursor disabled). We play ctf and ch like that, and tank combat is much more enjoyable this way, no targeting beyond visual range, no more shooter behind the fog (clickclickclick) smile_o.gif. Radar could be disabled too...but just at the driver and the gunner, i think, there should be left something useful to the commander smile_o.gif.

Addons should generally go the FDF way for Radar. Only problem is that this requires to base the addons completely on FDF stats, which I guess many addons would not be willing to do, as they want to stay independent.

Nevertheless, FDF is the most realistic of all mods out there and if you aim to make things "real", any addon maker should consider to at least create additional versions of their mods with finmod compatability.

"Of course there is a T90 (not sure who made it sad_o.gif ) but i've the feeling that this one isn't as good armored as the Abrams."

That t90 addon is very nice, but that's just a beta version. Although I know of only one problem with it, a single shot can turn it over very easily...that's why i can hardly wait for that rhs t90 pack with an updated version.

I think disabling the locking ability of the gun improves adversarial maps a lot (if you don't play on a server with weapon cursor disabled). We play ctf and ch like that, and tank combat is much more enjoyable this way, no targeting beyond visual range, no more shooter behind the fog (clickclickclick) smile_o.gif. Radar could be disabled too...but just at the driver and the gunner, i think, there should be left something useful to the commander smile_o.gif.

Wouldn't you disable target locking for guided missiles aswell?

I like the idea of getting read of radar in vehicles that don't use radar in reall life. It will take more skill to win than speed in locking on target, and that sounds more reall to me.

@CERO.

Wouldn't you disable target locking for guided missiles aswell?

I meant disabling target lock for tanks without guided missiles.

In case of the m2a2 for example....i don't know, it wouldn't make much sense if you could not lock with the 25mm but you could with the tow...so maybe i would leave it as it is (anyway, these vehicles like bmd, m2, bmp can use some advantages against tanks like m1a1 and t80 ;) ).

Personally, I like the idea of using 'radar' in tanks to substitute for the fact that we can't have thermals in OFP. That's why in my CPPs I give the 'radar' the vehicle's thermal range stat. This allows vehicles with FLIR or Luna the ability to engage at night, or to engage obscured targets fairly well.

---to clear up some of the T-90 confusion,

I released the first T-90 a long time ago with some pretty crummy textures, (the alpha) with my T-72 alpha pack that included the Type-98; this was a Northstar pack. . .

I updated it later with new textures and better configs. This was the beta pack that's still out. ATM, it is still the only T-90 that has been released.

Pretty soon, it will be re-released by RHS, and the RHS version is pretty much completely remodelled, and comes in 4 versions:

T-90 (Russian service variant) T-90S (standard Russian export variant) T-90S (Indian export variant) and T-90M (known as 'Vladimir') massively upgraded Russian service variant.

All of them have the Shtora system except the Indian version which looks a lot like the T-72BM. (Incidentally, the T-72BM which the original T-90 is based on will be included in the RHS T-72 pack)

I'm sure Blackdog or someone would have no problems posting shots of some of these. . .

-----

Quote[/b] ]i don't know, it wouldn't make much sense if you could not lock with the 25mm but you could with the tow

Why would you say that? The TOW is a guided missile, and the 25mm is a ballistic cannon. . .

Oh, I think Blackdog would have quite a problem posting some shots.   wink_o.gif

Hehe, Sigma incase you son't know Blackdog has been banned from this server over a disputed spamming incident.

If you wanna post screenshots I suggest using ShadowNX he's very good and can show atmosphere.

Anyway back on topic, there seems to be a general limitation with what the OFP engine can do, generally amour in tanks very depending which side you attack from i.e. the frontal amour of many tanks can take alot more shots then the side, back or top.

Simga since you can only a basic amour value to represent a tank how do you derive the amour value? and how do you value what slopped amour should be?

I see. . .

Not to say anything that would piss of a mod. . . but I'm sarcastically sure anything Blackdog did was worth banning him.

If you would be kind enough to send me the T-90 i'd take some shots for you  tounge_o.gif

EDIT

Oi what did you say before the edit i missed it biggrin_o.gif

Why would you say that? The TOW is a guided missile, and the 25mm is a ballistic cannon. . .

Of course, of course, but if somebody use this locking ability to target vehicles for example beyond view distance or behind a hill (you can lock a target with right click even if it can't be seen yet on radar screen, so if somebody get locked that way and get some shots, maybe he won't even see the white square on radar representing the enemy tank, that can be very disturbing at low view distance multiplay maps like cti), then that player will simply use this "clickclickclick" method with the TOW, and after locking, he can aim with the 25mm too, I meant it like this...that it would not make a difference. But anyway, the clearest solution is if you can lock/target with missile and you can't with the gun.