Sign in to follow this  
bmgarcangel

Swear words

Yeh, i wish flying limbs were possible.....i mean, your like "damn 5 is down"...so WHERE DID 5 actually go.....cant find a body.....hmmm whats this.....ahhh its 5's boot......problem solved......

crazy_o.gif

Wow, this thread surely soughted out the mature from the immature.
Quote[/b] ]

If you say that the game should include every swear word under the sun because the players are mature, then your really just immature, as you haven't taken into account ethics and moral standards.

NOBODY said that. Stop making straw men arguments.

The game should be as realistic in everyday conversation as it is in everything else.

Quote[/b] ]

I play this game routinely with a six year old looking on. Sometimes, he'll even sit on my lap while I teach him how to play, and he especially loves driving tanks, and knocking trees and fences down!

Congratulations, you are a bad parent/ guardian.

Games are rated for a reason.

If you are going to totally ignore the ratings scheme, that is no reason for the game to become 'barbies fun adventure at the shops.'

In other words, don't try to make others take responsibility for YOUR JOB - looking after your kids (or the kids entrusted to your care)

Quote[/b] ]

Some people would say that playing a game such as OFP in front of a young child is bad for the welfare of the child, due to death, guns, killing e.t.c, but this is not really an issue as he knows right from wrong, good from bad, and knows killing is bad, but on top of that, knows that death is apart of war, and since he demonstrated that, I, and more importantly our mother, have no problem with him watching on, often eager to take over the controls.

But, swearing is different. He knows swearing is wrong, but as a responsible person, one must restrict the amount of derogatory language he is exposed to, so that kids 'monkey hear, monkey say' instincts don't pick up.

What a load of nonsense.

1) there is nothing inherently wrong about any words, its the hypocritial attitudes of bad parents that make them 'bad.'

2)Derogatory language has NOTHING to do with swearing. You can be just as derogatory, racist, sexist or whatever without using any 'bad words.'

Quote[/b] ]

If I can play OFP 1 in front of a five/six year old, then I'd expect to be able to do so for OFP 2.

'If I can let kids see a game thats rated far too highly for them, then the game should be changed so it isn't rated so highly.'

Errr...no. How's about you take some responsibility for your own actions.

Quote[/b] ]

Basically, the 'old fashioned' and restrictive level of swearing in OFP 1 was just right. It wasn't too lah-dee-dah and it wasn't in your face, pungent stuff. It was just right in order to convey the feeling of the moment.

No it wasn't. It totally ruined the immersion and realism.
Quote[/b] ]

Remember, this game was designed to to be acceptable enough to be viewed by a wide audience, which includes children.

NO IT WAS NOT. Your lack of parenting skills is not the companies fault.
Quote[/b] ]

The fact of the matter is, while swearing between mature people is common. Mature people know that swearing in front of kids is wrong, and due to BIS' professionalism, they know this too. So if you were getting giddy over the prospect that more swearing would be implemented in OFPII, forget about it.

Or you could, you know, not let kids see games/ films that are too 'mature' for them.

And by the way: I hate idiots who can't look after their own kids and try to blame it on others.

Hit the targets alright!!

Well said, another that fully agrees with you.

Thank you!! smile_o.gif

You think I'm a parent!

That's laughable.

Look at my age. Do you think I could possibly raise and rear a child at the age of 11, he's my brother for christ sakes.

I read your post, now it's time for you to read mine.

If I 'were' an irresponsible parent, do you beleive I would allow my child to see and hear content that could possibly harm him. Of course not. I control what my brother see's and hears. If I regard something as 'wrong' for him to hear/see (Swearing, excessive violence, e.t.c.) I pause the activity. Switch off the appliance from which the media is coming from, set up an activity for which he can enjoy without exposing him to the offensive material.

By the way that you commented my post, Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX, I seriously doubt that you have children or younger siblings, so I also seriously doubt your credentials in order to say I am a bad 'parent' or older brother. If you did, you would know that some kids are more intelligent than others. Some kids know good from bad, right from wrong, whilist others are simply can not.

In my post, I included an example of where my brother demonstrated this. This was when I started to allow him to watch me, and most importantly, this was also the point where our mother, as stated in the post, became less restrictive on what he can and cannot view. It is a fact of life that being over restrictive on what a child can and cannot see can potentially produce a hypo-sensitive young adult, who is ill-prepared in the path of life. There is a time and a place in all our lives where low-level simulated violence is no longer a barrier.

To say I am a bad 'figure' for my brother for allowing him to watch a tactical battlefield simulation and all that comes with it is plane stupid, especially after he, himself, demonstrated that he is highly mature for his age, and is ready to slowly be exposed to more of the world. It's a part of life to grow up, and what you are arguing, is that I'm a bad figure for allowing him to grow up. I beleive it's far more dangerous for a child to watch wrestling and idolise the characters involved, and perform their signature moves, than to view low-level simulated violence.

If OFP2 were to become more violent or immoral than OFP1 to the point where I am uncomfortable to have my younger brother watching, I would simply not play it if he were to be exposed. I would play whilist he was asleep, or pre-ocupied with other activities. If I were a 'bad figure', as you point me out to be, then I would simply allow my brother to be exposed to all aspects of my life that are genuinely bad for him. I would swear at him. I would take him drinking with me. I would encourage him to pick fights with other kids. This I am not, but still, you tag me as a bad figure for exposing him to low level violence. Oh shit. Who's that knocking on the front door, that's right, it's the Childerens Protection Agency barging through it because I expose him to a little bit of simulated violence because my brother is mature enough to know right from wrong, e.t.c.................Yeah, that will be the day.

Quote[/b] ]No it wasn't.  It totally ruined the immersion and realism.
So your saying that OFP 1's campaigns were a total let down because bad language was not present. That's a bit of an overstatement, wouldn't you think.
Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Remember, this game was designed to to be acceptable enough to be viewed by a wide audience, which includes children.
NO IT WAS NOT.  Your lack of parenting skills is not the companies fault.

Note the key words, acceptable enough. My perception is that OFP1 was acceptable enough to be viewed by someone my brother. While some kids would cry after seeing a 3D model soldier fall down and have blood texturing, my brother does not. I acknowledged his maturity for his age, and allowed him to watch me. Note in my post, I said he rather enjoys driving tanks, and running trees and fences down. Note how I did not say, every now and then, I would set up a bunch of civillians and tell him to run them down. Do you know why, because I restrict him from what he can and cannot do. I am always there, guiding him to what is acceptable and not acceptable. He does not and cannot play this or any violent game for that matter without me starting the game up for him.

So Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX, tell me, do you have childeren or a relatively young sibling? Seeing as you hate idiots who can't look after their own kids and try to blame it on others, I'll tell you now, I hate idiots who have no fucking clue as to what young kids are like, especially when I was talking in regard to and only to my younger brother yet have the balls to tell me I'm a bad figure, and that what I say about my brother is a load of nonsense. I suggest you shut the fuck up, apologise, and remember to at least have had some kind of research, and in this instance, first hand knowledge, before you override the opinion of anyone who has had just that. mad_o.gif

I must admit, this is one of the most bizarre threads I have read on this forum.

bmgarcangel, I completely disagree with you. There is absolutely NO need for swearing, this is a computer game and it is targeted at children also. I honestly can not see how swearing is going to add "realism" or a better feeling of immersion to the game.

Word

Sadly my friend, I don't believe this should be played by people under the age of 15 at all.  It still has blood and i think like Half-life, Quake, Doom, Waffen Dennis, Alice, and a few other games, they should never be played by people under the age of 15 what so ever for gods sake.  Thats the problem its aimed at childern.  Frankly I think they should make a law banning people under the legal age from playing the games with the recommended age group.  

In washington State, you can't be under age of 17 and by a mature game anymore.  Same goes with teen games now.  They won't let you.  

ozanzac, sadly dude, content in this game will harm people under the age of 15 for damns sake man.  They already have bastard and shit dude! I mean hell, do you think that language is minor for a minor to listen to? Sure they might hear it here and there a little bit, but you don't need to encourage it more with blood in this game.

Hence if they put more language, more swearing like the only basic:

Shit, damn, bastard, ass hole and rape in the game then it should be ok.  Possibly fuck but hell, this game shouldn't be directed at all to people under the age of 15.  I encourage you all not to direct games with mature rating to people under age of 15 because hell, they don't need to see games like this until they are at least 15 ( not to mention I get fricken pissed when I see like 12, 13, 14 and 15 year olds wanting to join my mod because I can't stand there imatureity )

Peace out

~Bmgarcangel

P.S. Ride on Baron, ride on dude wink_o.gif not designed for childern ya nut heads

ozanzac, sadly dude, content in this game will harm people under the age of 15 for damns sake man.  They already have bastard and shit dude! I mean hell, do you think that language is minor for a minor to listen to? Sure they might hear it here and there a little bit, but you don't need to encourage it more with blood in this game.

Re-read my post in it's entirity. I think I've already stated I control what I expose to my younger brother. And that if their were a risk of over-exposure to an abundance of bad language in any media, that I would cease the activity.

I don't know what the boundaries of acceptable language is through American media, but I have a distinct feeling that it is much more restrictive than other parts of the world. Your system caters for the lowest possible denominator. It has produced parents who no longer spend the time of day to guide their childeren into what they see, hear and view. It's called complacency and it is much more dangerous to a childs learning processes than to expose them to the 'evil' elements of the world in a controlled environment, which is precisely what I aim to achieve. It is much safer than hiding it from him compltetly, then all of a sudden, culture shock when he realises the world is sometimes, not a pleasant place.

Let me tell you, I must have started playing this game not much after my fourteenth birthday. Before that, I was a Regular player of Half Life and Counter Strike from about the age of eleven. Before half life I played games such as Wolf3D, all of which were on my fathers PC, with his knowledge; Whilist my freinds at the time were deeply involved in games such as Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, e.t.c. on consoles. (I viewed and still view fighting games as completly pointless, and only ever anygood for multiplayer button mashing competiotions)

It didn't turn me into an 'evil' person. It didn't alter my personality. I didn't think it was cool to shoot people. They were all games, and because it was 'just a game'. I knew that it was unnacceptable to blend violence from the gaming world into the real world, and knew that there would be serious punishment if ever I did. I was guided at the early stages of my life, so that I could start thinking for myself and not feel the need to pass blame onto others for my mistakes. In fact, knowing I had responsibilities from a young age, has definantly made me much more mature than people of the same age as I. That's not to say I don't sometimes do immature things. Where would the fun be minus that?  tounge_o.gif

As a young adult, I find it unnecessary to add language to a game in order to make it more realistic. If you do, you not only restrict the market that it is intended for, you also restrict the audience who can watch the said target market play the game. OFP was targeted for the mature gaming community, I have no doubt in that, but if you add additional taboo, such as language in particular, this move would restrict the amount of sales that OFPII could otherwise achieve, which would be a marketing mistake on behalf of BIS and Codemasters in my view.

Words such as bastard and shit don't attract a Warning: high level course language sticker that other words, which you want to put in, would otherwise attract. People buy kids games for presents. That's a fact. People don't buy kids games which have high levels of language in particular. Simulated low-level violence is nowhere near as dangerous on a childs mentality than over-exposure to bad language. Chances are, if high level course language was introduced, it would bump the Mature Audience 15+ rating it currently has, into the Restricted section. Not a good move in my opinion.

dude

I got my own computer and built my own at age 12

I started playing half-life in my room on my computer at age 12

i also was a regular of my long time favorite Quake 2

Unreal tournement,etc.,etc.,etc.

Now that i Look back on it I don't like those games that much anymore. Too much blood and gore all the time.

Bastard is not to be taken so lightly though like you have. Its just as a nasty word as Fuck you, Ass Hole, dick, bitch, or any other foul language. Personally though I don't want to talk about this subject anymore because its getting pointless it seems.

Words such as fuck ( jus plain fuck ), ass, ass hole, bastard and shit could be used in OFp2 while not attracting the bad side of the reviews. But perhaps we can do without fuck. might attract the 1 thumb down.

~bmgarcangel

You think I'm a parent!

That's laughable.

Look at my age. Do you think I could possibly raise and rear a child at the age of 11, he's my brother for christ sakes.

[/b]Hence my use of the word 'GUARDIAN' denoting one who is not a parent but who looks after a child.

Quote[/b] ]

I read your post, now it's time for you to read mine.

If I 'were' an irresponsible parent, do you beleive I would allow my child to see and hear content that could possibly harm him. Of course not. I control what my brother see's and hears.

If I regard something as 'wrong' for him to hear/see (Swearing, excessive violence, e.t.c.) I pause the activity. Switch off the appliance from which the media is coming from, set up an activity for which he can enjoy without exposing him to the offensive material.

Good. And the thing that would stop you doing that for OFP2 is.......?

Bottom line: Take responsibility. Don't expect others to accept a substandard product because you want the company to do your babysitting for you.

Quote[/b] ]

By the way that you commented my post, Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX, I seriously doubt that you have children or younger siblings, so I also seriously doubt your credentials in order to say I am a bad 'parent' or older brother. If you did, you would know that some kids are more intelligent than others. Some kids know good from bad, right from wrong, whilist others are simply can not.

Some kids are more mature than others. In no way does that change anything I said. Its YOUR responsibility to look after those entrusted to your care, NOT anyone elses.
Quote[/b] ]

In my post, I included an example of where my brother demonstrated this. This was when I started to allow him to watch me, and most importantly, this was also the point where our mother, as stated in the post, became less restrictive on what he can and cannot view. It is a fact of life that being over restrictive on what a child can and cannot see can potentially produce a hypo-sensitive young adult, who is ill-prepared in the path of life. There is a time and a place in all our lives where low-level simulated violence is no longer a barrier.

Completly off-topic and irrelevant. I know that. It doesn't change anything about how YOU are expecting others to look after someone who is YOUR responsibility.
Quote[/b] ]

If OFP2 were to become more violent or immoral than OFP1 to the point where I am uncomfortable to have my younger brother watching, I would simply not play it if he were to be exposed.

THEN WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? What are you complaining about?
Quote[/b] ]
Quote ]No it wasn't. It totally ruined the immersion and realism.
So your saying that OFP 1's campaigns were a total let down because bad language was not present. That's a bit of an overstatement, wouldn't you think.

[/b]No, I'm saying that the stupidly kid-like language ruined the immersion and realism. You may have been able to see what I was saying from my post, where I said ' It totally ruined the immersion and realism.' What part of that don't you understand?

To have a realistic depiction of war, then to have the characters speaking like they are wearing day-glow orange fur suits and are telling the camera about the amazingness of the letter B, totally ruins the experience.

Adults do not call other adults 'meatheads' or whatever.

Quote[/b] ]

Note the key words, acceptable enough. My perception is that OFP1 was acceptable enough to be viewed by someone my brother.

And according to the ratings agency, no, it was not. It was not designed to compete with barbies fashion designer for toddler's attention.
Quote[/b] ]

So Baron Hurlothrumbo IIX, tell me, do you have childeren or a relatively young sibling? Seeing as you hate idiots who can't look after their own kids and try to blame it on others, I'll tell you now, I hate idiots who have no fucking clue as to what young kids are like, especially when I was talking in regard to and only to my younger brother yet have the balls to tell me I'm a bad figure, and that what I say about my brother is a load of nonsense. I suggest you shut the fuck up, apologise, and remember to at least have had some kind of research, and in this instance, first hand knowledge, before you override the opinion of anyone who has had just that. mad_o.gif

Aww diddums is angry. Better not be round kids with a temper like that. I know exactly what kids are like.

And I still hate people who cannot take responsibilty for their own mistakes. People who want games to be changed because they cannot follow the ratings scheme on the package.- people like you.

I see lots of arguments and discussion on this topic since I worked and managed video game shops for years.

People dont like to take responsibility, they blame others....thats just the way it goes.  For example a woman brings back a copy of BMX XXX to the store because of its offensive nature, demanding a full refund because it wasnt for her child.  SHE was the one who BOUGHT THE FREAKIN THING.   The kid gave it to her and she hardly looked at it and took it to the register.   I even tried to politely warn her that this game was adult themed and she got irritated cuz she was in a hurry.   It was a wonderful feeling to say that I couldnt take it back because it had been opened.

All she had to do was look at the description and pictures on the back, the ESRB notice and rating, and the BIG RED TRIPLE X OF THE FREAKIN BOX!!!  But no, it was MY fault for exposing her child to this...it wasnt her fault at ALL.

The Game creators, organizations like ESRB, and retailers like me can only do so much.  But we still get blamed for the failures of the parents.

Same things with school violence....BLAME Marilyn Manson and DOOM!  Nevermind the fact that Doom is 10 feakin years old and that the kids who commit violent acts get their guns from where the parents hide them or from loose gun sales.  Andthe parent was oblivious to all this?

Yea blame the music and video games, it takes the blame off the parents..

Baron, not once did I ever shift my responsibility to deem what is and isn't acceptable for a young child onto the game developer. Drop it would you, nor did I ever say that the game should be developed with what that in mind. I was only displaying my discomfort for having excessive foul language in a game where I feel it unnecessary to have it. It's just a sideshow to the main attraction, the gameplay.

Quote[/b] ]THEN WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM? What are you complaining about?

Actually, my only problem is that you are attacking me personally, and that either you have selective reading and quoting skills, or are just rather dense. The questions you posed and arguments you raised were answered before you replied with the post you quoted me from. Why make it appear necessary for me to repeat myself?

If I can play OFP 1 in front of a five/six year old, then I'd expect to be able to do so for OFP 2.

Basically, the 'old fashioned' and restrictive level of swearing in OFP 1 was just right. It wasn't too lah-dee-dah and it wasn't in your face, pungent stuff. It was just right in order to convey the feeling of the moment.

Remember, this game was designed to to be acceptable enough to be viewed by a wide audience, which includes children. The fact of the matter is, while swearing between mature people is common. Mature people know that swearing in front of kids is wrong, and due to BIS' professionalism, they know this too. So if you were getting giddy over the prospect that more swearing would be implemented in OFPII, forget about it.

Explain this then.

You're nothing but a liar.

Remember, this game was designed to to be acceptable enough to be viewed by a wide audience, which includes children. The fact of the matter is, while swearing between mature people is common. Mature people know that swearing in front of kids is wrong, and due to BIS' professionalism, they know this too. So if you were getting giddy over the prospect that more swearing would be implemented in OFPII, forget about it.

Explain this then.

You're nothing but a liar.

Note: IT SAYS THAT THE GAME WAS DESIGNED TO BE ACCEPTABLE BY A WIDE AUDIENCE. IT WOULDN'T MATTER IF IT WAS YOUR GREAT GRANDMA OR AN INFANT.

WHEN I SAY BIS'S PROFESSIONALISM, I SAY THAT I DOUBT THEY WOULD ENGINEER A GAME THAT COULD POTENTIALLY BE OFFENSIVE TO A BROAD SPECTRUM OF PEOPLE.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU. rock.gif

Your bickering over a minor and insignificant difference in our opinions, yet you can't accept that. Why?

People stop making this topic personal.

If you can't discuss the issue in a civil manner then it can be closed, it's dumb enough that such a trivial topic is causing such raised blood pressure.

I wonder why this ridiculouse thread hasn´t even been closed.

Looks like a place where people think they are given the oppurtunity to voice bad air.

It´s BIS who decide what they do and I think personally they have different in mind than the pro-swearing´s here. I posted already that BIS developes a product that is sold worldwide and so they have to respect worlwide basics. It may be normal in the US or UK´s to spend the whole day swearing, but it´s not in germany for example. I also already told you that swearing has a minimal role in combat, but you just don´t want to believe.

I´d be happy if all of you were more contributing to gameplay issues of OFP2 that are worth talking about , than to fix on some stupid swearing contest.

Fact 1)

Adults in the US and the UK swear in daily speech, ESPECIALLY soldiers.

Fact 2)

The baby talk in the first game ruined a lot of the immersion and realism - it is, as I said, as if they were on kid's TV instead of in a war zone.

Fact 3)

Games already have to be heavily censored for Germany's ridiculous censorship laws - changing the word's for the german market will probably have to be done anyway.

Fact 4)

I have not swore once at anyone in this thread. The 'anti swearing' side has used 'naughty' language far more than me - since they are hypocrites.

Fact 5)

Realistic War Simulating games are NOT designed to appeal to a broad range of people. Anyone who suggests that a game involving shooting other people in the head with blood spraying everywhere should cater to children too has something wrong with their heads

@*$#!&%*$%@*$#$^$*@^$%*#@^$%^$*%&&$*#@@$*$^%@#*#*^$*$^(*#^*&$%*$#^^*^(*$#%*&%$&^$$#&^$#&^#*^%*#%#^%###%%#@@#$%$^$%$&^#$$ !!!!

BEHOLD..the biggest bad word EVER!!!!!!! It so big and BAD, it had to be censored or else your PC CPU's would have fried themselves trying to reproduce it.

Or was it the true name of god that had that power?...oh well, no matter..

:P

DeadMeatXM2, if you were with a Marine unit with me and you were shot, would you scream to me that or would you curse because of some god aweful pain in your fuckin leg or chest

If I had been shot at all, I'd probably be more interested in screaming my head off, and making funny burbling noises...

Edit: Everyone who gets "shot" in films have 99.999999% of the time, never actually been shot themselves. So they dont know what its like. All they are doing is acting shot, and adding their own personal "flavour" to the scene. End Edit.

I never said that there should be NO swearing at all, but the level of swearing should not be as much as say games like VietCong.

I would like to point out, that on avearge, your posts [bmgarcangle] have about 6 swearwords in per post. That to me suggests that your use of this kind of language is far more common than many other people.

YES, everyone swears, that I will not deny (I even swear myself) but WHY "pollute" the game with continual cussing?

Ok, so the "oh no... 4 is down..." or the "2, injured" is poor, and could do with some spicing up. But why take it from one extreme to the other?

Like people have said, this thread shows where the "mature"/"immature" line lies. And having played countless games which DON'T have swearing in, like Half Life, all the Command and Conquer series, Ghost Recon, and countless other excellent games. The question is: Is continual cussing and swearing necessary?

IMHO, the answer is NO.

DeadMeatXM2, if you were with a Marine unit with me and you were shot, would you scream to me that or would you curse because of some god aweful pain in your fuckin leg or chest

If I had been shot at all, I'd probably be more interested in screaming my head off, and making funny burbling noises...

Edit: Everyone who gets "shot" in films have 99.999999% of the time, never actually been shot themselves. So they dont know what its like. All they are doing is acting shot, and adding their own personal "flavour" to the scene. End Edit.

I never said that there should be NO swearing at all, but the level of swearing should not be as much as say games like VietCong.

I would like to point out, that on avearge, your posts [bmgarcangle] have about 6 swearwords in per post. That to me suggests that your use of this kind of language is far more common than many other people.

YES, everyone swears, that I will not deny (I even swear myself) but WHY "pollute" the game with continual cussing?

Ok, so the "oh no... 4 is down..." or the "2, injured" is poor, and could do with some spicing up. But why take it from one extreme to the other?

Like people have said, this thread shows where the "mature"/"immature" line lies. And having played countless games which DON'T have swearing in, like Half Life, all the Command and Conquer series, Ghost Recon, and countless other excellent games. The question is: Is continual cussing and swearing necessary?

IMHO, the answer is NO.

Most people who are shot scream or whimper for their mothers.

The question is, why do so many people think swearing is so bad? They are only words! They can't hurt you! What is so bad about them? As I said already, you can be far more offensive without using any 'cuss words' (whatever they are).

In short: People who think some words can be 'bad' need to grow up.

IMHO, the answer is NO.

Most people who are shot scream or whimper for their mothers.

The question is, why do so many people think swearing is so bad?  They are only words!  They can't hurt you!  What is so bad about them?  As I said already, you can be far more offensive without using any 'cuss words' (whatever they are).

In short: People who think some words can be 'bad' need to grow up.

A couple of things:

1) Your confrontational approach to this discussion is uncalled for. If you feel enraged, insulted or whatever by any of the other poster's posts, then use the RTM button and do not respond in kind.

2) If you don't know why people regard swearing as childish or bad, then I suggest you go back to primary school and ask your teachers why swearing is not good.

3) Telling people to grow up is very patronising, very childish and shows just who is immature and "needs to grow up". More importantly, there are rules that state that flame baiting is not allowed. Most of your posts on the last couple of pages have been bordering on this.

I have therefore no other choice but to close this non-sensical non-issue thread.

Let's be honest, what game developer would listen to a bunch of internet kids that ask for more swearing in their product?

Closing. I don't want to see another thread on this topic again.