Sign in to follow this  
bmgarcangel

Swear words

I ain't no noob for one. I ain't want swearing non-stop and 24/7 in everysingle god damned mission. I'm only talking about when a person gets pissed or when they're in a fire fight, but like not other times and stuff. War is confusing for a alot of soldiers, some can keep emotions in and some can't. A majority of them can't because they are young, scared, and hell, they're gonna curse and yell must of em because they got shot in the arm and it hurts.

As with other people they don't. But majority probably would. All i'm saying is like when you're in a fire fight like

"Get the fuck up and fight soldier. Come on soldier, get up! Let them have it soldier!"

or just more minor words like bastard ( which ain't a minor word ) and shit, hell, few other things.

It would make the game more realistic. I dont support though 4 major curse words in 2 minutes or even more than that.

I don't think swearing should be in OFP2 as it is sold, the idea is to sell games and limiting the audience is not a good idea. If you really feel you need adult language, It is a simple matter to add it yourself and include it in a mission. That way those that object to foul language would not download it, and those that feel it would add to the immersion can play away.

its a toss up between realism (and who cares anyways? make your own swearing mission if you want) and recieving a low user age rating so the market is broader.... 15+ was about right for the game, although at 12 the game wouldn't have shaken me at all...

swearing means upping the age limits in some cases... making it more gorey has the same effect - BIS and Codies want to appeal to a mass market... simple hey

OFP one included:

Bastard

Shit

Damn

and a few other ones you can look up in the dictionary to find out the meaning

Bastard is no were even near minor lang.  Shit is considered minor and so is damn.  But hell guys, soldiers don't even say bastards taht much.  I never even say that.  Its useless.

No offense, but I think it should only appeal to age 14+ and above because i'm tired of the 13 all the way to 10 year olds giving me hell about this and that crazy_o.gif

You have a point...

Anybody who uses STFU to try to win an argument cant be more than 14 years old....

As for having swear words in the game just keep it with a few here and there like in original OFP...dont go overboard.

the fact that those swear words were overlooked on this thread will show you that ofp got it right.... althpugh damn is most deffinatly (in modern society here in uk) considered swearing (minus in religous groups) - blasphomy isnt that frowned apon anymore

A couple words is no big deal IMO but how much is a couple...3...4?

Having too many cuss words takes away from it.

"4 is down" - I get nightmares just listening to that! crazy_o.gif

On a jobsite(renovation), I hear enough swear words so it's nice to come home and blow people away in "some" peace and quiet thank you.

wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Re swearing: I don't care much either way. Some colorful language could spice up the feeling, but if it is overdone it just get ridiculous.

What I'd want to get a feeling of war is if sometimes when people got wounded they'd scream and continue to scream until they pass out, or just wimper or cry, maybe screaming for a medic. When your base/city is under siege by a sniper and you hear screams and crying all around, you'll begin to understand what it is like.

It would put some dirt and blood into the war, far away from the idealistic and false depiction of war as a clean and surgical operation.

In my opinion not including swearings it is like not including blood. still playable but not such fun wink_o.gif

In addotional i want to say that i knew to swear since 1st grade in school.

If anyone of my soldiers uses swearwords in real missions while facing locals he´s punished. If anyone of my soldiers at camp uses swearwords while talking to other soldiers or officers he gets punished.

Soldiers have a code of honor and ROE´s. Swearing is not included there. For sure you say "Fu**!" by surprise sometimes but intentional swearing is very rare during combat. You just have no time to do it and it disturbes in-team communication. We don´t have to adapt to US habits here. And most of the guys that swear the whole day while abroad don´t leave the camps much as they pose a threat to own team when negotiating with locals.

Let´s keep this out of OFP as it has no place in real combat also. Maybe the kids think it´s part of combat because they´ve seen it in some Hollywood movies but it´s not part of military behaviour in real life. Any moderately civilized and educated leader will kick your ass to kingdom come if you sit in a vehicle and have nothing better to do than to swear at locals. It poses a threat to your own security so you´ll get punished. At least that´s the way we (core force) and I persoanlly handle such things.

Why not just have some more random phrases like "i got him" and "man, is history" and just have a setting in options like parental lock where u can disable the words that may offent minors and childish people?

Of course not swearing all the time, but a bit here and there would be nice, you could turn radio and campaign swearing off in a parental control menu.

I can't think of a lot of situations to use it in anyway, just "shit, 5 is down!" etc. and some joking around the campfire, and swearing in the heat of battle in the campaign.

I seriously think it would add to the game, somehow. icon5.gif

I know what da fuck im talking about! ppl in army swear like hell between each other! when i go drunk home in the park i hear as old men playing chess swear. So plz dont fuck my brain and tell me that *adults* don't swear or swear wary rarely mad_o.gif

If you are so keen on having it, there´s always mission editing.

OFP 2 will be sold in more than one country and swearing is no international standard or universally accepted. I stand up for variety of voice coms but swearing is just a thing for teenagers who feel "grown up" if they do so.

Quote[/b] ]What I'd want to get a feeling of war is if sometimes when people got wounded they'd scream and continue to scream until they pass out, or just wimper or cry, maybe screaming for a medic.

Do you really want to have that in a game ? There´s a thin line between realism and gaming these days but developers don´t have to cross every line to make a product attractive.

In fact games where blood in large amounts is splashing and body parts flying around are not only bad taste but disturbing for minors. A software company has a responsibilty to fulfill. that isn´t done by printing "16" on the packets but by content control. BIS has done very good with that with OFP and the expansions and I´m sure they will do also with OFP 2.

As I said if you need all that do mission editing.

Quote[/b] ]I know what da fuck im talking about! ppl in army swear like hell between each other! when i go drunk home in the park i hear as old men playing chess swear. So plz dont fuck my brain and tell me that *adults* don't swear or swear wary rarely

You better watch your words as there are forum rules here.

If you read my post you´d know that I talked about military servicemen during combat missions, not some dudes playing chess in the park.

I found the contrast between european and US version of vietcong quite amusing:

US-version:

Lets go kick some communist butt!

EU-version:

Lets go kick those mother****ers asses!

My opinion? Theres always mission editor, feel free to be creative. Of course its always bit dependant on the language, finnish military isnt finnish military if saatana & perkele are not frequently featured. tounge_o.gif

If anyone of my soldiers uses swearwords in real missions while facing locals he´s punished. If anyone of my soldiers at camp uses swearwords while talking to other soldiers or officers he gets punished.

Soldiers have a code of honor and ROE´s. Swearing is not included there. For sure you say "Fu**!" by surprise sometimes but intentional swearing is very rare during combat. You just have no time to do it and it disturbes in-team communication.

Sorry but I just do not agree. Every single soldier, be they Jock, NCO or Officer, swears. A lot. Swearing *at* people is completely different from just swearing as we all do in normal speech.

Nobody is saying that every second word should be fuck, or that normal voice procedure should be changed (which is about the only time soldiers don't swear) - just the chatter, the stuff in cutscenes, possibly the section talking if that is changed in OFP2.

In my experience, the people who complain about swearing are the immature ones. As someone else said, it's fine to shoot people in the head but you can't say naughty words?

Grow up, anyone who can't stand normal everyday language.

They are ONLY WORDS.

Somewhere i read about mature game Postal II that was forbidden in US. Or something like that. After Vietcong example i undestand.

Anyway, i want to thank FDF for their mature missions that gave real atmosphere with swearings

Quote[/b] ]Anyway, i want to thank FDF for their mature missions that gave real atmosphere with swearings

I´m sure Blake and the other FDf mission makers are very thankful that "swearing" gave their missions real atmosphere.

crazy_o.gif I guess it takes more than "swearing" to create atmosphere but well I´m an immature 32 years old person, so little I know.

Anyway I´m pretty sure BIS will take the right way about that.

I totally agree that for almost all regular conversation and most areas of an OFP mission or campaign heavy cursing should NOT be in.  You can simulate regular and convincing conversation without hearing F**k, FU, STFU, or other heavy foul language.

For example, my Aircraft combat campaign "Havoc's Fighter Campaign", I am keeping the heavy swearing to an absolute minimum as possible, but there are certain circumstances where people and humanity break down thru the worst circumstances and the worst always comes out of people.  (Verbally and thru actions.)

Here are some qualifications for heavy foul language usage in a mission/campaign:

Genocide, all alone and having an enemy platoon on your six comming after you, losing a family member or very close friend during a war, an ESSENTIAL combat mission that MUST be won and crap just comes from one end to another with no end with your comrades dropping like flies.

Yes, heavy foul language should be limited and kept out of OFP missions/campaigns as much as possible but in missions I do not oppose it in such occasions where I would expect nothing less said than that out of someone in that dire situation.

I however have one song for the campaign that must portray a corrupt atmosphere with drugs, sex, guns, money, and hoes.  I've tried to find a filtered version of the song but to no avail...   sad_o.gif   Sad isn't, it?  Can't find a decent rap song to fit it without hearing all that extra filth.  

Anyways, it should be the only song like that on the whole campaign.  No, this campaign is NOT a drug cartel busting  campaign.  (That would be boring and I believe illegal since you'd be in the U.S. military.)

I think the majority of us agree that every day people know swear words it is just a matter of watching your language depending on the context of the situation you are in.

Now I have never been in a war, but I'd like to hear from someone who has and I want to know if they are watching their language while dodging bullets. wink_o.gif

Because I really think the only people who never swear are the same people who will be sitting in church on Sunday while we are playing OFP2 and enjoying a beer. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Now I have never been in a war, but I'd like to hear from someone who has and I want to know if they are watching their language while dodging bullets.

Yes. You don´t have time for such nonsense. Discipline is key to sucess when you are in a firefight. If all yell because they shit their pants you will have a hard time to give orders or receive ammocounts or positions or positions of sighted enemies. Injured excluded of course, but they will shut up to avoid getting picked by a shooter or silenced with medics help. It´s loud enough depending on ammo and weapons used. Swearing and all that hinders your squad to have an effective chain of orders and in case you´re using motorolas your chief will react to your swearing in an appropriate way. It´s vital to have coms and if some guys block them with swearing and panicing you lose control.

That´s it. Plain and simple and not really hard to understand I guess.

Quote[/b] ]Nobody is saying that every second word should be fuck, or that normal voice procedure should be changed (which is about the only time soldiers don't swear) - just the chatter, the stuff in cutscenes, possibly the section talking if that is changed in OFP2.

As in: soldiers swear when they are talking to each other, NOT on the radio.

I didnt mean that your were a nOOb.

It was just some stupid ¨swearing¨

Very lame swearing.