Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

The Iraq thread 3

OK - here's the deal. Homerj has officially made an ass of himself and he's gone. I don't think anyone is suprised by that - he practically asked for it.

I do want to say, however, that I'm dissappointed that nobody used the Report To Moderator feature - a lot of this bullshit could have been avoided if someone had spoken up sooner, telling a mod and ending this sooner, as opposed to replying to an idiot. I try to be around here often, but I can't be reading everything.

Sorry for the harsh language, but this is a big mess now and some people besides Homerj may end up getting in trouble because of it. Rules are rules whether your actions were right or wrong.

That said, I'm going to lock the thread for a little bit. I want to get this sorted out and let heads cool down some.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....aq_dc_8

Quote[/b] ]FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - U.S. forces killed 22 people on Saturday in a "precision strike" on a house in the flashpoint Iraqi city of Falluja that the military said was being used as a safehouse by militants linked to al Qaeda.

Furious Iraqis said the dead included women and children. But Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt said in Baghdad the house was being used by fighters loyal to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, accused by Washington of leading a bloody campaign of suicide bombings and of decapitating a U.S. hostage last month.

"We have significant evidence that there were members of the Zarqawi network in the house," Kimmitt said. But officers said there was no sign that Zarqawi himself -- who has a $10 million price on his head -- was there when the house was destroyed.

Falluja residents said two missiles had been fired at the house by a U.S. plane on Saturday morning, flattening the building. Kimmitt said the U.S. strike had caused secondary blasts as ammunition inside the house exploded.

"An American plane hit this house and three others were damaged. Only body parts are left," a witness said, as rescuers dug through the rubble of the shattered house for survivors.

"They brought us 22 corpses, children, women and youth," Ahmed Hassan, a cemetery worker, said after the blast.

Washington says the Jordanian-born Zarqawi has been the mastermind between a series of bloody suicide attacks in Iraq that have sowed chaos and claimed hundreds of lives. It says he was also the man shown beheading U.S. hostage Nicholas Berg in a grisly video posted on the Internet last month.

Christ...

Welcome back all. Even you billybob tounge_o.gif

Least you are rational and fun to debate with. Glad I took a break when I did (thanks Tex).

Thanks Hellfish6 too.

Now only 16 people died....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....cid=716

Quote[/b] ]

U.S. Attacks Al-Zarqawi Hideout; 16 Dead

21 minutes ago  

By JIM KRANE, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military stepped up its campaign against militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, launching an airstrike Saturday that pulverized a suspected hideout in Fallujah. At least 16 people were killed and several houses in the residential neighborhood were wrecked.

Quote[/b] ]

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the military's deputy operations chief, said multiple intelligence sources suggested that "a significant number of people in the Zarqawi network" were in the house at the time of the attack.

Allah...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54905-2004Jun19.html

Quote[/b] ]

Clinton Backs Bush on Iraq War But Questions Invasion's Timing

By John F. Harris

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, June 20, 2004; Page A04

Former president Bill Clinton said he agreed with President Bush's decision to confront Iraq about its potential weapons programs, but thought the administration erred in starting a war in 2003 rather than allowing United Nations weapons inspectors longer to carry out their work.

Quote[/b] ]

Noting that he has "repeatedly defended President Bush against the left" on Iraq, Clinton dismissed the notion that the Iraq war was principally about protecting petroleum or financial interests.

Quote[/b] ]

In February 1998, after Hussein blocked U.N. inspectors from entering Iraq, Clinton warned: "What if he fails to comply, and we fail to act? Or we take some ambiguous third route, which gives him yet more opportunities to develop this program of weapons of mass destruction and continue to press for the release of the sanctions and continue to ignore the solemn commitments that he made? Well, he will conclude that the international community has lost its will. He will then conclude that he can go right on and do more to rebuild an arsenal of devastating destruction. And some day, some way, I guarantee you he'll use the arsenal."

Quote[/b] ]

He said at the time the United Nations pulled out the weapons inspectors in 1998, not to return until after Bush came to power, "there were substantial quantities of botulinum and aflatoxin, as I recall, some bioagents" in addition to some "chemical agents" such as VX and ricin that were "unaccounted for."

Quote[/b] ]

"Keep in mind," Clinton urged Time interviewers Michael Duffy and Joe Klein, "that's all we ever had to work on. We also thought there were a few missiles, some warheads, and maybe a very limited amount of nuclear laboratory capacity."

I'm suprised...

Now only 16 people died....

Quote[/b] ]

21 minutes ago  

By JIM KRANE, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military stepped up its campaign against militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, launching an airstrike Saturday that pulverized a suspected hideout in Fallujah. At least 16 people were killed and several houses in the residential neighborhood were wrecked.

Quote[/b] ]

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the military's deputy operations chief, said multiple intelligence sources suggested that "a significant number of people in the Zarqawi network" were in the house at the time of the attack.

Allah...

Check the dates, my story is an update on your story.

edit:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....raq

Quote[/b] ]Sat Jun 19, 6:22 PM ET

vs.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....aq_dc_8

Quote[/b] ]Sat Jun 19,12:15 PM ET

Quote[/b] ]Check the dates, my story is an update on your story.

My story is updated one because it was posted 21 minutes ago...now its 1 hour, 2 minutes ago.

Quote[/b] ]

1 hour, 2 minutes ago

Edit: Furthermore, it is on the main page of yahoo...

My story is updated one because it was posted 21 minutes ago...now its 1 hour, 2 minutes ago

See above. Yahoo's timer in those regards is slightly screwy.

Quote[/b] ]See above. Yahoo's timer in those regards is slightly screwy.

Tex, you cannot tell time...lol

Your time was 12:15 PM ET or in the afternoon and mine was in 6:22 PM ET or the evening.

Fuck, you're right; apologies. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to post after 3 in the morning.

edit: I can't even get the current time right- this is bad crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Fuck, you're right; apologies. This is why I shouldn't be allowed to post after 4 in the morning.

You are not alone with posting after 4 in the morning....go to SLEEP!

My story is updated one because it was posted 21 minutes ago...now its 1 hour, 2 minutes ago.

Quote[/b] ]

1 hour, 2 minutes ago

Edit: Furthermore, it is on the main page of yahoo...

From the text:

Quote[/b] ]The Health Ministry said at least 16 people were killed, but witnesses said at least 20 people, including women and children, were killed.

Not that I understand the point of what you too are arguing about. Tragedy is tragedy and war is war.

edit: 11:15AM here. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Not that I understand the point of what you too are arguing about. Tragedy is tragedy and war is war.

That means people survived or truth came out....

Edit: 4:20 AM.......... crazy_o.gif

Iraqis deny house was used by Zarqawi

Quote[/b] ]FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - An Islamist militant group targeted by a U.S. air strike that killed 22 people in Falluja does not operate in the rebellious Sunni Muslim town, Iraqi security officers said Sunday.

The U.S. military said Saturday's raid was aimed at a safe house used by militants led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian described by the Americans as al Qaeda's leader in Iraq.

The air strike, which flattened a house, shattered a lull in Falluja since last month's truce ended bloody battles between U.S. Marines and insurgents. It also fueled tensions ahead of the formal end of Iraq's U.S.-led occupation on June 30.

The U.S. military had allowed an Iraqi force, known as the Falluja Brigade, led by former Iraqi army officers, to take over security in the fiercely anti-American town west of Baghdad.

Brigadier Nouri Aboud, a member of the Falluja Brigade, told Reuters there was no evidence the destroyed house had been used by anyone except the large Iraqi family that lived there.

"We inspected the damage, we looked through the bodies of the women and children and elderly. This was a family," he said.

"There is no sign of foreigners having lived in the house. Zarqawi and his men have no presence in Falluja."

Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt said in Baghdad the house hit by a "precision" strike was being used by fighters loyal to Zarqawi, accused by Washington of leading a bloody campaign of suicide bombings and of decapitating a U.S. hostage last month.

The Iraqi government says foreign militants are involved in sabotage that last week brought vital oil exports to a halt.

Iraqi technicians have been struggling to repair damage to a sabotaged southern pipeline to enable exports to resume. An official said they were unlikely to finish before Sunday night.

Insurgents, believed to include loyalists of Saddam Hussein, Sunni nationalists and foreign militants, have sown havoc ahead of the June 30 handover to a new interim Iraqi government

Well uhm,bad people have children,parents and wifes too,right?

It seems to depend on which Iraqi you ask:

Quote[/b] ]Iraq's Allawi Welcomes U.S. Strike That Killed 22

Sun Jun 20, 2004 06:32 AM ET

By Fadel Badran

FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - Iraq's prime minister on Sunday defended a U.S. air strike that killed 22 people in Falluja, but Iraqi officers in the town said the dead included women and children rather than foreign Muslim militants.

"We know that a house which had been used by terrorists had been hit. We welcome this hit on terrorists anywhere in Iraq," interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi told a news conference.

It seems to depend on which Iraqi you ask:

Quote[/b] ]Iraq's Allawi Welcomes U.S. Strike That Killed 22

Sun Jun 20, 2004 06:32 AM ET

By Fadel Badran

FALLUJA, Iraq (Reuters) - Iraq's prime minister on Sunday defended a U.S. air strike that killed 22 people in Falluja, but Iraqi officers in the town said the dead included women and children rather than foreign Muslim militants.

"We know that a house which had been used by terrorists had been hit. We welcome this hit on terrorists anywhere in Iraq," interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi told a news conference.

I'm sure thats really going to endear him in the eyes of his fellow Iraqi's.

He's supposed to lament the deaths of innocents, but grudgingly admit it was for the best.

Now for the person Iraqi's don't like becuase he doesn't represent Iraqi person on the street, he now 'appears' not to care when they get killed. The man needs a new PR guy.

Quote[/b] ]It seems to depend on which Iraqi you ask:

Uhm,the ones that actually inspected the scene,the damage and the bodies and know better then to just take US millitary word as granted?

Uhm,the ones that actually inspected the scene,the damage and the bodies and know better then to just take US millitary word as granted?

Could be. Any reason why the Iraqi authorities that praised the bombing aren't there to verify what they've approved of?

Could be. Any reason why the Iraqi authorities that praised the bombing aren't there to verify what they've approved of?

I asked the question and now I'll theorize an answer. Pure speculation but not far-fetched.

Fallujah is a death trap for any Iraqi government or coalition supporters who try to enter it.

Have a look at the following entry on the Iraqi Hammorabi blog, from last week, on June 16:

Quote[/b] ]Falluja Update

There is news from Falluja talking about a special meeting recently took place in one area in the centre of Falluja in which the (Mujaheeden) has pledged allegiance to appoint Al-Zarqawi as the Ameer (Prince or Governor) of the City of Falluja! Zarqawi was in the meeting which was attended by top leader of Mujaheeden including Arabs from Jordan, Saudis, Syrian and Palestinians.

They divided the city into various areas and called it Emarat El-Falluja (Emirate) with Zarqawi as the Ameer (Prince). They appointed a leader for each one of these areas among the Mujaheeden with one group under his leadership. They gave Zarqawi an Oath to set out the Islamic state of Caliphate in Falluja and from there they will spread it into the rest of Iraq and the region. They now try desperately to gather lot of youths and young people enthusiastic for that to join them. They also tried to get themselves extended well beyond that area to Baghdad and other regions.

Among them are many Saudi Wahabis and Syrian with other Arabs. Recently a body of a Palestinian has been left unburied after killed in Najaf city after the fighting finished!

A quick action needs to be taken to weaken the basis of the devils and then with the strike of the Newly Born Iraqi Special Death Squads and commandos the thugs will be destroyed completely. Just a warning need to be taken very seriously!

Please see also the previous post (related)

Quote[/b] ]Could be. Any reason why the Iraqi authorities that praised the bombing aren't there to verify what they've approved of?

capt.bag12006191642.iraq_bag120.jpg

The same reason as to why two choppers are hovering in his back.

The same reason why the "Iraqi authority isn`t steping one foot out of the Green Zone without convoys of armed vehicles in advance.

The same reason why you don`t see Allawi in public places.

That and possibly because the Fallujah people would have something to share with the man that authorised the air attack in their town.