Sign in to follow this  
ag_smith

Uss nimitz by hawk & dasquade

Quote[/b] ]Cool .... now watch the MIG's run for cover!

Well indeed that worked to get the guns manned ,however the guns just don't engage fast enough to be a big thret to incoming mig's.i tested it with 2 Ai mig27 floggers (with rocket countermeasure's) ordered to attack the ship.The flogger's begin to shoot from a distance of about 1 kilometer ,the guns of the nimitz only engage if plane's are within about 400 meters distance.Effectivly these 2 Floggers managed to destroy all but 1 vulcan withought losses. (though probably atleast some dammage)

Problem IMO is the fact that these guns havn't got radar system ,so they only engage when they visually spot the target.Regular vulcans in ofp work pretty well as you can use the radar as gunner.Usually a handfull of AI vulcans can be a realpain in the ass to kill with a plane.

Although i figure the guns on the Nimitz don't come equiped with radars due to limitations? If not plz give the gunner position of the Nimitz guns a radar to spot targets from far.i think they would be much more effective in killing those plane's lwith those.

when using the "land with line break" (or something similar to it when trying to land i end up with a error popping up saying that what i think is a script is missing sad_o.gif

@Apollo, there's no such engine limitation. That's just something to be fixed in config.cpp

Quote[/b] ]@Apollo, there's no such engine limitation. That's just something to be fixed in config.cpp

Can i do it manually? Don't want to wait for next release ,this carrier is great just needs a little fix. I'm no coder though ,but with a little explenation ill manage to edit it.

I'm little bit short of time to try it ATM, but if you want to do some experiments try to change AAdeckGun30 class in cfgAmmo section in config.cpp. Should look like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgAmmo

{

class Default{};

class BulletSingle : Default {};

class ExplosiveBullet: BulletSingle{};

class Bullet30: ExplosiveBullet{};

class Bullet30E: Bullet30{};

class AAdeckGun30: Bullet30E

{

hit=90;

indirectHit=45;

indirectHitRange=2;

minRange=20;

minRangeProbab=0.800000;

midRange=500;

midRangeProbab=0.950000;

maxRange=3000;

maxRangeProbab=0.050000;

cost=30

airLock=true;

irLock=true;

};

(...rest of cfgAmmo)

};

(extracted from BIS' M-163 config)

Tell me if it works. If not, I'll try to come up with something else.

hawk @ Jan. 28 2004,07:52)]For formality [EC] is my clan sign, i spoke and write in inglish as you see (who will done all strings to addon?) and for all interested (first beta public is in transfer to serwer when i write this there will be demo mission and remaked F-14 (from IKAR) for all fans of this plane.

link is:

"http://landhell.fpp.pl/of/index.php?PAGE=down&FILE=hwk_uss_nimitz_beta.zip&DIR=ADD PL/HAWK"

Thanks for the public release Hawk as an ex Navy aviator that makes my day.  unclesam.gif A copy of that link should be added to the Addons & Mods: Complete Section so more people will see the beta and hopefully put the news on their sites.

Ok i decrypted the Pbo ,added the changes to config.ccp and stuffed the Pbo again.

No errors when loading the addon.So tested it with a little mission ,again 3 Floggers attacking the Nimitz.Results were better though not optimal.The guns still won't engage if the target isn't within 400-500 meters ,however they are more accurate now and manage to destroy the planes though when they enter that range.Only 1 of 3 Floggers survived the test compared to all three last time ,4 guns were killed in comparison to 6 or 7 last time.Still not optimal though IMO ,but thanks for youre help Agent Smith. wink_o.gif

If you can improve that configuration ,plz send me the value's and ill change the config.When the changes are efficiant enough ill ask Hawk if i can upload the changed file to my Ftp and release it on these forums.

I'll have a further look on it later tonight and will report results here. What I'm going to do now is to see how ZU-23-2 AA gun is configured as I remember it has long engagement range (~2km or sth?). I'll look for the diffrences between ZU-23-2 and Hawk's Vulcan.

Ok ,thx. in any case the gun's on the deck didn't have a radar yet ,maybe it will make a lot of difference if there is a radar in the gunner position.

Interresting stuff this coding ,doesn't look too hard (still not easy ,but maybe i should learn it a bit) ,btw do you know where i can find a command reference?

Hmmm... i'm having a slight problem with placing my planes on the deck of the aircraft carrier. I'm trying to place the F/A-18 Hornet made by Hudson & Pennywise, but when i place them, the plane is tilted at a 45 degree angle and bounces.

Is there anyway i can stop this.

Thanks

Aook  rock.gif

You're not putting them high enough, the Carrier object bounces it because you placed the aircraft in the carrier object addon instead of above it.

Use this, if you haven't already for putting an aircraft on the deck.

this setpos [(getpos this select 0),(getpos this select 1),22]

I recommend 22 meters, it might require a higher height though.  (Can't remember exactly)

Just play around with the height until you get a number that's just right.

A little bounce and movement is okay for the VERY beginning of the mission, since this isn't Janes F/A-18 so perfection probably won't come for aircraft and ships until OFP 2 hopefully.

About the Carrier defenses...

The Phalanx gun system should have an engagement of about 1500m to 1700 meters.  Long enough range to kill most bothersome aircraft like Hinds and Hips but short enough that the Phalanx's effectiveness is limited where aircraft can effectively attack the ship from long range +2000 meters.

For the ship based SAM's, they should have an effective range of 2500 to 3200 meters.  Similar to the Tunguska or the M109ATDAS.

Quote[/b] ]Yeah, ive tried the height command, that works fine, it just that the F/A-18s tilt at a 45% angle for no apparent reason.

It may be the plane that doesn't work on the carrier, i should try another plane.

Try to put the carrier on an other location.Did you put the carrier near land ,near a slope?From my expierence if you put an setheight command on a unit standing on a slope ,it will be set on that height however at the same angle of the slope.

Try to find a place where the waterbed is level. (that is almost anywhere except very close to an island)

Hmmm... i'm having a slight problem with placing my planes on the deck of the aircraft carrier. ...

In the init line of every vehicle you want on deck, put

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this setpos [getpos this select 0,getpos this select 1,19]

First of all, quickfix for missing brake.sqs script:

Find this line:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">statement="[(vehicle player),this,18,20] exec {land.sqs}";

and change it like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">statement="[(vehicle player),this,18,20] exec {\hwk_uss_Nimitz\script\land.sqs}";

--------

Same here:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">statement="[(vehicle player),this,27,-18] exec {land1.sqs}";

Should be:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">statement="[(vehicle player),this,27,-18] exec {\hwk_uss_Nimitz\script\land1.sqs}";

There're several more occurences of this error, just look for them in config.cpp, than you know what to do. wink_o.gif

EDIT: Now, how to fix Vulcans to give them realistic (??) engagement ranges. Ok, here we go:

The following changes have to be applied to class AAgun in cfgVehicles:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgVehicles

{

(...)

class AAgun:M2StaticMG

{

vehicleClass = "HAWK - Vehicles";

model="\hwk_uss_Nimitz\AAGun";

icon = AAgun.paa;

accuracy=0.30;

side=TWest;

nameSound="mgun";

unitInfoType=UnitInfoShip;

displayName="Nimitz Vulcan";

weapons[]={AAdeckGun30};

magazines[]={AAdeckGun30};

// (...changes start here....)

gunnerCanSee = 31;

//irScanRange = 6000;

//irTarget = true;

//irScanGround=true;

//irScanRangeMin = 4000;

//irScanRangeMax = 10000;

//irScanToEyeFactor = 5;

irScanRangeMin = 20;

irScanRangeMax = 4000;

irTarget = true;

irScanGround=true;

irScanToEyeFactor=10;

nightVision=1;

//(...rest of the code remains not changed ...)

};

(...)

}

hawk @ Jan. 28 2004,07:52)]For formality [EC] is my clan sign, i spoke and write in inglish as you see (who will done all strings to addon?) and for all interested (first beta public is in transfer to serwer when i write this there will be demo mission and remaked F-14 (from IKAR) for all fans of this plane.

link is:

"http://landhell.fpp.pl/of/index.php?PAGE=down&FILE=hwk_uss_nimitz_beta.zip&DIR=ADD PL/HAWK"

Hawk I also love the 18 videos of the Nimitz you have there as well. I am glad you put so much effort into this and took the time to post here. Do you have a website other than the download site you listed that is devoted to your work? biggrin_o.gif

@Ag_smith

Tested the changes to the turret's ,here are the results: smile_o.gif

Sea Sparrow's engage when plane's enter 2km zone ,vulcan guns when they enter about 800 meter.

As test i let different numbers of Su25 fly over the ship with a waypoint sek and destroy above the carrier.

Carrier has 8 Guns (2 sea sparrows 6 vulcans)

4 Su25

1 run over carrier ,0 su25 survive 2 guns (the sea sparrows) are destroyed.

6 Su25

1st run over carrier ,3 su25 survive 4 guns survive

2nd run over carrier ,0 su25 survive 3 guns survive

8 Su25

1st run ,5 su25 survive 5 guns survive

2nd run ,3 su25 survive 4 guns survive

3rd run ,2 su25 survive 3 guns survive

4rd run ,0 su25 survive 2 guns survive

Overall ,acceptable results IMO

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]First of all, quickfix for missing brake.sqs script:

Find this line:

Code Sample

statement="[(vehicle player),this,18,20] exec {land.sqs}";

and change it like this:

Code Sample

statement="[(vehicle player),this,18,20] exec {\hwk_uss_Nimitz\script\land.sqs}";

These lines were already as such ,problem lies probably elswhere.

If hawk agrees to it i can upload the changed file for others to download ,just a small bugfix really nothing to take credit for.

@StuartBoyer:

This is link to Hawk's website. It's in Polish only, but you can still use it. Just click on the pictures. smile_o.gif

@Apollo:

I'll see if I can improve it little bit more. However, some test I did have the following results:

3 Migs-27

-1 run over carrier, 0 planes survived, depending on situtation 0 up to 3 guns destroyed. I even had one kamikaze, when shot down Flogger hit the island  biggrin_o.gif

Vulcans engaged planes at about ~1200 meters.

5-7 Migs-27

usually some planes survived the first strike, but once Vulcans had targets identified, I noticed they engaged targets even at 1500-1700m.

PS. I think their turn angle should be restricted, tweaked because sometime Sparrows tend to hit the island and the Vulcan next to Sparrow launcher (one at the end of carrier)   destroys the launcher very often.

Quote[/b] ]this setpos [getpos this select 0,getpos this select 1,(getpos this select 2)+19]

Works better.

And thanks ag_smtih !!

Cant wait to implement when I get home !!!!

ladies and gentalmen of the OFP community. with this addon i was inspired to make up a USN pack for you all.

Included is-

Ships:

*USS Ashland LSD (tow)

*USS Nimitz CVN (hawk)

*Tiger Patrol Boat (col klink)

------------------------------

Men:

*Admiral (drw)

*Navy Seal (coc diver)

*Carrier Crew (drw)

-blue

-green

-red

-yellow

-purple

*ITA Pilot (g8)

Aircraft:

Helos-

*UH-1 (seb)

*CH-53 (scorpio)

*HH-60 (extraction)

Planes-

*F/A-18 Hornet (hudson/pennywise)

*F-14 Tomcat (hawk and ?)

*AWACS (g8)

Misc:

CoC Torpedos

i made none of these addons and contributed nothing to any of them. i only packaged them up for conviencace.

35.7MB Download Here

i updated it with the new carrier and the new F14 and added in a "demo" mission but its nothin really just a small fleet setup and the carrier has the planes placed on it in a nice orderly fasion.  oh and 2 Su25s attack your fleet too but the aa defense seems to handel them well

Edit: i added the config changes so the missles and vulcans become more realistic. and updated the demo mission so both hornets are right on the catapult smile_o.gif

Edit2: upload complete. and the above quote now has the credits marked)

link is:

Just wanted to remind people to download this version of Hawks carrier listed above. Seems some Operation flashpoint sites listed it in the news section and have the 2.69 mb version for download (the one ag_smith found) , when the one Hawk listed as the for public beta is the 6.15 mb version with mission and F-14 by Hellden. I would have though that http://ofp.gamezone.cz/ would list the one with the mission on their site to make it more enjoyable to people who aren't keeping up with this topic.

Oh to the guys in this board working on the air defense system, nice work on the script for the anti air defense guys appreciate the info you provide in your post.   wink_o.gif

Edit:

And @Pappy Boyington:

Thanks for puting all those together it will make D/L it easier for people who dont already have those addons.