Sign in to follow this  
Jinef

Maps and mapreading

Continuing on my theme for the ability to have options for more realism -

At the moment OFP maps all objects on a map in realtime, if you see a tank running over a tree on the map the tree actually moves.

I would like to see more vague maps showing forest blocks and elevation, population centres using an established map system. Also each grid square at the moment covers a large area and does not allow for users in MP to accurately relay positions. Using a numbered system would be more comprehensive and allow more flexibility - it would also be educational.

Also maybe an ability to switch scales and types of maps - 1:25000 (infantry)/1:50000 (armoured and vehicle movements)

and aviation charts.

This map system would not be the default however, as the current one is more suited to players in terms of playability however having an option for 'Realistic maps mode' would just change the overlay style. Also having the ability to draw freehand on these maps, having a legend reference and an easier way to place markers with directional control (believe it or not we don't always want to head north) would all be possible in this system.

Also a compass that can be read with a higher FOV would be useful, also maybe a nice Silva compass for the spec ops.

At the moment voice comms are the best way to plan an attack in under 40 minutes sitting at the briefing screen when playing MP. I would like to see extensive options to make OFP more realistic and powerful, most people will not need to draw freehand on the map however for the dedicated cooperative players it is a feature that would be gladly appreciated.

Jinef - Coop Freak

I concur.

Having 2 maps to switch between in realistic mode might be a bit much tho, not sure about the need for 1:5000 maps since they can be zoomed out, giving roughly the same feature.

I'd also like an option to have no yellow boxes at all, for the uber pros - just map references in orders. But I think that'd be too much for most players - who don't seem to know how to find where they are on a map.

Also having the ability to draw freehand on these maps,

Actually having the ability to draw freehand on maps was MY idea originally.

It was intended to help the player make quick in game notes about enemy movement and positions during "recon" or before attacks.

The player would be able to draw out where the enemy is, plan out where he wants to place your his own men, draw out boundaries, and plan/draw out a path to move ... etc

IceFire, I doubt it was YOUR idea originally, this is something thatcomes to mind quite often for many people, and is no ones original IMO. Because what you do in real life is you draw on the map... hehhe

No need to argue though, we all agree here, Jinef has good suggestions. And I would ask for more realism on all aspects of the map. Coordinates?

Holy big massive heads batman.

It wasn't your idea. Loads of people have suggested it far before you, and loads of people have came up with it independently.

In fact, I'd bet the dev team came up with it when they were making OFP but didn't put it in because its harder to do than simply placing markers. (time constraints.)

It wasn't your idea.  Loads of people have suggested it far before you, and loads of people have came up with it independently.

In fact, I'd bet the dev team came up with it when they were making OFP but didn't put it in because its harder to do than simply placing markers.  (time constraints.)

Listen, I suggested that idea about a year or two ago on these forums. Way back before version 1.75 and Red hammer or whatever around then.

Ralph Wiggum(before he became a moderator) and some of the other mods here who replied to my thread might remember. My suggestion caused alot of debate on the idea in my thread, and it was eventually shot down because most people(except for a few who actually understood it) thought it was a useless function.

I also made another less talked about suggestion about using "fast ropes" and that idea was shot down. But eventually I think someone modded it when Oxygen came out.

Would you look at the size of your head!

You did not! You are NOT the first person to think of that. Anyone who plays coop thinks of that the first few times they play. And I'll bet the team thought of it while they were making it too.

FFS, stop being such an arrogant child.

'waaaahh I thought of that first! Shut up! yes i did! waaah!'

It wasn't your idea. Loads of people have suggested it far before you, and loads of people have came up with it independently.

In fact, I'd bet the dev team came up with it when they were making OFP but didn't put it in because its harder to do than simply placing markers. (time constraints.)

Listen, I suggested that idea about a year or two ago on these forums. Way back before version 1.75 and Red hammer or whatever around then.

Ralph Wiggum(before he became a moderator) and some of the other mods here who replied to my thread might remember. My suggestion caused alot of debate on the idea in my thread, and it was eventually shot down because most people(except for a few who actually understood it) thought it was a useless function.

I also made another less talked about suggestion about using "fast ropes" and that idea was shot down. But eventually I think someone modded it when Oxygen came out.

Well FYI in the first co-ops I played with a friend of mine, we already were thinking it would be nice to draw on the map (looking back also from R6 pre-mission planning)... and this was basically the month OFP was available in EU. Still, this is such a common sense thing that it's no ones idea...

you want to take credit for something, at least make it an uncommon suggestion. wink_o.gif

Wait do you hear that?rock.gif Sssssssh.

TOOT TOOT,

I can't confirm it but I think that was his horn.

It wasn't your idea.  Loads of people have suggested it far before you, and loads of people have came up with it independently.

In fact, I'd bet the dev team came up with it when they were making OFP but didn't put it in because its harder to do than simply placing markers.  (time constraints.)

Listen, I suggested that idea about a year or two ago on these forums.   Way back before version 1.75 and Red hammer or whatever around then.

Ralph Wiggum(before he became a moderator) and some of the other mods here who replied to my thread might remember.    My suggestion caused alot of debate on the idea in my thread, and it was eventually shot down because most people(except for a few who actually understood it) thought it was a useless function.

I also made another less talked about suggestion about using "fast ropes" and that idea was shot down.  But eventually I think someone modded it when Oxygen came out.

trumpet.jpg

IceFire I thought you might like to blow this trumpet instead of your own for a little while, during which the rest of us can have a sensible discussion about the actual issue.

Whatever, I thought of this before I ever even played online.

I thought of this while playing the "steal the documents from Guba" campaign mission as a Black Op because such a tool would be very useful for such a mission.

And I still was the first person who thought of this way back when Operation Flashpoint was a new game.

So if you are going to thank the creator of this thread for this idea, you should atleast thank me too. That's all I want. Especially after everyone told me what a crazy idea it was when I posted about it a long way back.

Yeah, more realistic maps/different maps could be really cool. Maybe map makers could define their one colors for maps, and stuff. smile_o.gif

PS And about the whole drawing on map thing: get over it, does it really make any difference who the hell "thought" of it first? rock.gif

Oh, and all of you saying that I am blowing my own horn. That is completely untrue!!

I am simply defending my position here. I was ridiculed when I originially came up with this idea. I don't want people saying what a great idea it was when I was originally told it was not a good idea. It would be nice if people simply said "thanks" when you come up with a good idea instead of being told that it is a bad idea and then tell someone else that it is a good idea years later.

hell, ive got mates who were playing the OFP DEMO and thought that drawing on the map...........you may have been one of many to think of it.......but you sure as hell werent the first, i bet BIS had thought of it at sometime during the development stage of OFP

Yeah, I'd really like this feature.

Try playing in vet mode with no GPS, no waypoints and trying to use landmarks (on your unusually accurate map) to figure out where you are. Annoying.

Example? Look for a unique object in a certain direction.

Remember where it is.

Look for another object, remember where that is...

Franticly look on the map to figure out where you are.

Battlefield logistics and communication are a pain in OFP at the current state. (Communications; including pathfinding)

So yes, I'd damn hell like something like this.

And maybe realistic star positions if there isn't already (is there?) atleast north star... heh.

The star position is realistic in OFP, if you make a new Island you can accually change the position for the island and it will have a realistic starmap...

That's what I have heard anyway...

I guess learning basic astronomy has it's uses now.

Just like trigonometry...

Dammnit BIS, why must you force me to learn!?@!

Hi all

The maps on OFP as they stand are a massive improvement on maps from any other game.

Like the others I would suggest some improvements:

1 )  Digits on map grids not letters

2 )  Elevation numbers every 50m on contours to give direction of elevation (currently missing in OFP)

3 )  Use one of the standard conventions on map design either the US system of the Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) or the UK OS convention or one of the conventions used in say Norway, Sweden, Finland or the Alps. Even though brought up on OS maps UTM is prbably the best option in the long run.

4 )  Put in an option for a Silva style baseplate compass with sighting mirror (lots of brit soldiers use them in preference to the prismatic compass we see in OFP)

5 )  It might be nice to put in magnetic declination variance as an editor option smile_o.gif

6 )  And put in GPS failure and or inacuracy such as Geometric Dilution of Presision (GDOP) both of which occur in dense woodland, steep-sided valleys and cities, ionospheric interference, multipath error from reflected radio transmits from the satelite. Mechanical failure due to it being bumped or  batteries running out. All these errors would be easy to model via opening the outputed values to scripting.

These are just my preliminary thoughts on the OFP map which from speaking to some people in military circles is one of the things that attracts a lot of military interest particularly with officers at a senior level.

Kind Regards Walker

Seeing as you are all talking about drawing on the maps. Does anyone know where I can get copies of the maps that I could print out. I know about the .PDF versions on the CD but I was wondering if anyone had an editable version of them? I would like to be able to blow up sections of the maps.

The most important in the map section is to make the map readable at night too. In OFP if you change to mapview at night, your eyes will flow out... smile_o.gif So maybe there could be a small and dim red light to the center of the map at night missions, like you light it with your pocket lamp, or so. Then if you change back to normal view, you can see again normally and you don't need to wait a few seconds.

CU!

Quote[/b] ]I'd also like an option to have no yellow boxes at all, for the uber pros - just map references in orders.  But I think that'd be too much for most players - who don't seem to know how to find where they are on a map.

That´s what I would definitely like to see: No Icons at all!

In easy settings you can still have them.

I have a concern about map makers and drawing on maps. It is fine for your own map or pre mission. But how come that your team mate 20k away can see what you mark on your map? It should only be visible in easy settings.

A new inventory system would help to interchange map information:

The items in your inventory should be lockable and un lockable.

If you unlock an item someone standing close by can access it (like a weponcrate)

With the map it should be the same, if unlocked people standing close by can see what you mark in it.

surrendered soldiers should have their inventory unlocked automatically.

All in all I welcome a better map and navigation system. It would also help if we get official ary.