Sign in to follow this  
@cero

Books

Quote[/b] ]If you want another good war book, read '48 by James Herbert

Yes! That book rocks biggrin_o.gif If you like that read The Fog and The Rats too both are really really good smile_o.gif

Hey mr Burns, If Stalingrad by A. Beevor is just as good as Berlin, then i must have it!

Any war related book by Len Deighton (fiction or non fiction are great. Some titles by him: Blitzkrieg, Fighter, Bomber. Great nonfiction by him: Fatherland, SS-GB.

All good stuff, with a lot of research behind it.

Have fun reading

Stalingrad by Anthony beaver is indeed better than Berlin. Horrifyingly so...

I recommend

"My War gone by, I miss it so..."

By anthony Loyd

Dude, wheres my country by Michael Moore count

0446532231.01._PE40_PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

not a war novel but its the only book im reading right now tounge_o.gif

I'd recommend Harold Coyle's God's Children, a fictional tale of US peacekeepers coming under fire in civil war-torn Slovakia. I think it would be an excellent basis for an OFP campaign.

Also, Eric L. Harry's Arc Light, which I tracked down after Hellfish mentioned it. tounge_o.gif

Yeah, God's Children was good.

I've just finished Flyboys by James Bradley (who wrote Flags of our Fathers), and The Cat From Hue by John Laurence (CBS TV reporter in Vietnam).  I'd recommend both for historical value.

Has anyone else read The Last Ship by William Brinkley?  It's set in the late 80's just prior to and then following a global nuclear war.  A US Navy destroyer and a Russian boomer are the only two groups of healthy humans left alive - they try to find anyone who survived and eventually try to start a settlement on a remote island.  It's incredibly well written and a very good read.

"Once an Eagle" by Anton Myrer. Best book I've ever read, and a must-read for anyone interested in military service.

i also recommend red storm rising and 1984. i wish they made a movie out of red storm rising though; after watching several tom clancy movies i feel red storm rising would have been one of the better tom clancy movies, if they had it.

Although not strictly military based, a great book I just read is 'The Company' by Robert Littell, that tells the story of the CIA from the 1950's to the present day.

Seeing as everyone thinks im his agent....

The Increment

By Chris Ryan

1844133834.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Quote[/b] ]Synopsis

Matt Browning returns in this gripping new novel from bestselling author Chris Ryan. It is a long, hot summer and the country is suffering an epidemic of road rage. What isn't making the news headlines, though, is that the SAS's secret assassination squad, the Increment, is killing ex-soldiers. These two strands of violence become ever more tightly intertwined as Matt is drawn into an adventure that takes him to Russia and ends explosively in the UK.

Out 3rd June 04

PREORDER NOW!

biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

Try the bible, its a nice piece of fiction that would make any action writer blush (whole cities crumbling, seas parting now thats Hollywood) and is kinda comical in some places as well  wink_o.gif

Also,

2093900.gif

The Second World War by John Keegan

&

2542312.gif

Charlie Mike by Leonard B. Scott

are both great books