Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

i dont know if it might be time to start a new photography diskussion thread or not, but anyway...

can someone give a couple of simple tips on how to make interesting photos?

and what you should think about?

how do i "stage" a interesting scene for my photo and still get it to look natural, as if it isnt staged?

hmm... maybe time to start a diskussion thread after all...

oh well, the mods can decide about that....

Simply don't stage stuff. Go out and look for interesting situations and places to take pictures off. I don't feel there is any need for a new thread what so ever.

well, sometimes for promotion pics it can be nessecary to stage stuff.

like right now a friend of mine has asked if i cant make some pics for his bands upcoming website.

Went to a diorama contest today, and I got to borrow another fellows brand new Micro Nikkor 105 VR;

[im]http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8812/fusk1dj5.jpg[/ig]

whistle.gif

is that a model? i cant tell lol looks soo real but so small at the same time lol rofl.gif

Hrmph, obviously not as realistic as I hoped it would look... But I reckon it's on it's way there smile_o.gif

It's inspired by this shot which is way, way better in terms of being realistic... But for three minutes in PS I think I did OK!

deadmeat... liking the 'cyclists 'dismount' picture... very nice smile_o.gif

Went to a diorama contest today, and I got to borrow another fellows brand new Micro Nikkor 105 VR;

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8812/fusk1dj5.jpg

whistle.gif

It's nicely done.  It's gets a stronger effect if you use a photo that has an obvious vanishing point (looking down a street or row of buildings) and also from a higher perspective, so you get the sense of looking down on a tiny model.  I've seen a few aerial shots of a city that were given this faux-macro look, they were awesome.

Anyhow, nice work.  I hope to share some more in a few weeks, after I wrap up a bit of traveling.

Diorama contest...  rofl.gif

Trying to record tank sounds with a camera is nearly impossible... I've tried doing it before and it doesn't work, tanks are so loud that the audio just cuts out once it gets above a certain point on my old camera at least.

I heard that minidisc recorders are very good at that kind of thing.

I was looking into the same thing a while ago. I'd like to have a simple toolkit for recording audio. The minidisc is fine for recording, but the standard mic is probably only good for vocals - interviews etc. Loud noises are always going to clip on standard mics. Recording from a distance where it's not clipping means you will lose all the finer detail sounds that a human ear will pick up near the source.

I was sort of thinking that it would be cool to have 2-3 tracks recording from different mics in different positions (a shotgun mic seems to be the thing for recording loud SFX). Seeing the input live, to avoid clipping, would also be handy.

For example, for recording a gun's sounds you might want to record from very nearby to get the sound of chambering a round and cocking the hammer, ejecting the shell. But the gunshot will clip. Record another gunshot with a more suitable mic from farther away and mix them back together.

Nah, not yet at least, but I probably would have if I hadn't of found a nice '98 Ford F250 recently. 70mph easy sure beats struggling to 60mph going down a hill though wink_o.gif

earl, some interesting information you posted there. It looks like a shotgun mic plus a minidisc recorder would be a safe bet, but I can't justify spending over $150 for something that I'll only use a few times for something that I won't make any money doing. I can get access to quite a few running tracked vehicles (Sherman, Stuart, Halftrack, M60) and many many more wheeled vehicle but like I just said... I can't justify the cost

That's a good idea with the blend of distance + close up weapons sounds. It would be awesome if ArmA or OFP2 could take two sounds, the close up with the detailed sounds, plus the far away, then average them out based on a distance formula or something like that...

PS: Not directed towards anyone, but as a general statement and realization, my signature is extremely annoying now.

Nah, not yet at least, but I probably would have if I hadn't of found a nice '98 Ford F250 recently. 70mph easy sure beats struggling to 60mph going down a hill though wink_o.gif

I am thinking of buying a CUCV when I get my driver's license. A lot of them were "left behind" here in Europe when it was replaced by the Humvee.

Went on a little trip to RAF Waddington again today. Sadly the weather closed in when I got there, but I did manage to get a few shots.

The obligatory macro shot biggrin_o.gif

normal_Img_1389.jpg

Bigger

E-3D Sentrys parked on the ramp

normal_Img_1388.jpg

Bigger

The Runway caravan

normal_Img_1391.jpg

Bigger

and the Control Tower

normal_Img_1393.jpg

Bigger

a lot of RAF aircraft were painted in special schemes a few years ago, heres a 90th anniversary scheme for 23 Squadron, 1915-2005

normal_Img_1396.jpg

Bigger

And a close up of the Vulcan opposite the "viewing area"

normal_Img_1406.jpg

Bigger

Now for the fun stuff!

I only managed to grab two aircraft before the rain set in, and I had to run for cover. :P

First up, the new Sentinel R1 on approach

normal_Img_1415.jpg

Bigger

And crossing the road. These two shots were taken at 70mm focal length, so that might give you an idea how close it was.

normal_Img_1416.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1418.jpg

Bigger

Then we have the Chinook, again all the shots were taken at 70mm as I was right on the end of the runway

normal_Img_1428.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1429.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1432.jpg

Bigger

very nice... only just read about us getting those sentinels... didnt expect them to be flying already given the history of RAF procurement biggrin_o.gif

apparently they trail discharge leads when landing? gives off a fairly impressive spark when they land, or so I've been told/read - due to all the equipment on board humming away smile_o.gif

very nice... only just read about us getting those sentinels... didnt expect them to be flying already given the history of RAF procurement biggrin_o.gif

apparently they trail discharge leads when landing? gives off a fairly impressive spark when they land, or so I've been told/read - due to all the equipment on board humming away smile_o.gif

Heheh, yeah. I was actually on my way to getting in position when the lights turned on, so I thought "nuts to it, lets shoot from here"

I cant say I noticed any leads, but then I was concentrating on my camera, and all I could see of the aircraft was in a little 1 inch box. I'll be spending a day or so up there when the weather improves, so will look out for it. Sounds like the sparks would make for a good photo smile_o.gif

There's a small service building in front of it, so I can't get "decent" head-on shots, but it does look like someone has just plonked the Vulcan on top of it tounge2.gif

normal_Img_1408.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1409.jpg

Bigger

c17.jpg

I can't remember if I posted this one before or not.

March <s>AFB</s> ARB... sometime in 2005.

Went to the Cathedral again tonight, mainly cause I was bored and there was a break in the weather. Anyhoo...

The Imp (at last)

normal_Img_1447.jpg

Bigger

And wonderfully underlit (if you're too "dumb" to find him, put 20p in the slot and he's all lit up)

normal_Img_1450.jpg

Bigger

Inside the Cathedral

normal_Img_1473.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1480.jpg

Bigger

Outside

normal_Img_1482.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1490.jpg

Bigger

Cont.

normal_Img_1562.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1566.jpg

Bigger

This dude apparently gave all his money to restore the Cathedral a looong time ago, so they put a "memorial" to him on top of one of the spires on the West end of the Catherdral

normal_Img_1576.jpg

Bigger

normal_Img_1589.jpg

Bigger

And one of the Castle for luck smile_o.gif

normal_Img_1594.jpg

Bigger

FIN. smile_o.gif

This dude apparently gave all his money to restore the Cathedral a looong time ago, so they put a "memorial" to him on top of one of the spires on the West end of the Catherdral

God - He mustn't had much money to get that, looks like he's either getting boozed up or sitting on the shitter (possibly a combination) biggrin_o.gif

Good shots by the way! You have improved alot since the last batch of cathedreal-shots smile_o.gif

Some very nice shots DM smile_o.gif Hoping to see more once you get the technicall side down more! Love the pictures biggrin_o.gif

bugmacro1.jpg

A bugged newspaper.

bugmacro2.jpg

canad1.jpg

"Looking for treasure."

Shashman, those black&white ones (and the cat) are great!