Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Real life photography/photo editing

And finally, the world according to Debenhams...

Img_0857t.jpg

Img_0857b.jpg

No compression

Oh, and we're in the middle of a triangle formed by 3 RAF bases, Scampton, Waddington and Conningsby, so we get regular overflights by pretty much all types in RAF service. I don't have a decent zoom lens atm, so this was the "best" shot I could "get" just as an E-3D sinks behind the MHAC building to land at Waddington.

Img_0844.jpg

No compression

The Red Arrows in pre-season are always good too biggrin_o.gif

It's a M-38 smile_o.gif it was a fairly common design. In the netherlands they built it under the name of NEKAF. There are LOADS of them driving around now with private owners!

M38A1C... C designates recoiless rifle and the M38A1 is the more CJ5-looking-jeep in the M38 series. The original M38 had flat fenders.

It's a M-38 smile_o.gif it was a fairly common design. In the netherlands they built it under the name of NEKAF. There are LOADS of them driving around now with private owners!

M38A1C... C designates recoiless rifle and the M38A1 is the more CJ5-looking-jeep in the M38 series. The original M38 had flat fenders.

Exactly! M38!

Helping to babysit my brother's dog, who just had the business end of his femur excised.  There wasn't enough bone left to anchor a hip replacement, and they weren't willing to go with the high impulse lead treatment.

He fell out of a moving pickup truck when he was a puppy and the owner gave him up.  They got him from the pound, had a gimp front leg fixed up, but soon discovered more serious problems in the hip joint (fractured, followed by abnormal reattachment).

He's well sedated and pretty mellow, but wasn't really happy when we put the lampshade on his head.  He's going to have to deal with being a radar station for the next few weeks.

This is the Canon f1.8 50mm.  My sigma can't open up enough to get this kind of indoor shot of a moving target.

ranger_02.jpg

ranger_01.jpg

Deadmeat, nice campus, but if there's a weakness, it's that the shots come across like tourist snapshots.  When you are more familiar with the camera, try more unusual shots that pick out interesting details.  Wait for a different time of day that casts more striking sunlight, or try a tripod mounted long exposure to add something a bit surreal.

The sky, like you mentioned, is overcast and becomes too bright, lots of areas are blown out.  You can also think about getting a circular polarizing filter, I'm happy with mine.  On a mostly clear day, it darkens a blue sky a lot, popping out the clouds.

Also, look into hacking your camera :-)  Canon blocked out a number of features in the 300D since it uses the same technology as the 10D which was also out at the same time with the full feature set.  Look up the 300D firmware hack.  Did I just break some forum rules?

Nice pictures Earl, I doubt you broke any forum rules as "Hacking" the software is just uploading a new OS to the camera. You are not breaking any copyright laws just canon warranty agreement smile_o.gif

Hehe, radar station rofl.gif

Anyho, yeah, I've got a CP filter, just need to clean it up (bought the camera 2nd hand)

I know what you mean about the touristy shots, but I've only had the camera for a week now, so am still getting used to the mechanics of it (compact cameras i've had were just point and click affairs) so once I get used to the workings of the camera I'll look into more "fancy" shots. Also I don't have a tripod yet (will be getting one somewhen in July) so will try again then.

The firmware thing sounds interesting. I'm sending the camera in for a professional clean shortly (i did clean most of it myself, but theres some stubborn dirt on the viewfinder, and 2 specks on the sensor that just wont budge) so I'll hold off on that until i've got it back.

Anyho, I'll clean the CP lens now and "treat" you all to a photo tour of the cathederal tomorrow (weather permitting ofcourse)

He's well sedated and pretty mellow, but wasn't really happy when we put the lampshade on his head. He's going to have to deal with being a radar station for the next few weeks.

Everytime my dog gets a lampshade like that, he wrecks it within 5 minutes. When he comes home he runs into he garden, the lampshade gets stuck behind a tree, it starts to tear and then he totally wrecks the thing crazy_o.gif

and "treat" you all to a photo tour of the cathederal tomorrow (weather permitting ofcourse)

remember the Imp... tounge2.gif

Nice pictures Earl, I doubt you broke any forum rules as "Hacking" the software is just uploading a new OS to the camera. You are not breaking any copyright laws just canon warranty agreement smile_o.gif

Yep, you're cracking nothing there, Canon does not forbid to "enhance" your camera. They don't care too much about that "crack" (at least until now), they repair everything etc. But the "crack" does not bring the option to manually choose the way of the exposure measurement process (or what ever "Belichtungsmeßverfahren" means in English), and that's the most important function missing on the 300D. sad_o.gif

Well.. its a day late, but the weather was a lot better today - not overcast, so no blooming in the pics.

Some of these are pretty heavy on the jpeg compression, but the 100kb rule is the 100kb rule sad_o.gif

Approaching the Cathedral up "Steep Hill" (around the corner the road goes to a 40 degree (ish) angle, its hella steep)

Img_0875t.jpg

Img_0875b.jpg

Looking at the Cathedral from the South-Western corner

Img_0879t.jpg

Img_0879b.jpg

Found this little gantry sticking out the South window

Img_0884s.jpg

The south gate (there once was a wall around the Cathedral, thats long since gone, but 3 of the gates remain)

Img_0891l.jpgImg_0891r.jpg

The main Western entrance, which dates back to the 9th Century

Img_0899t.jpg

Img_0899mt.jpg

Img_0899mb.jpg

Img_0899b.jpg

Looking up at the tower, which once had a steeple on it, making it the tallest building in Europe

Img_0894s.jpg

The Castle, which is next to the Cathedral on top of "the only hill in Lincolnshire"

Img_0905t.jpg

Img_0905b.jpg

(Note the "flags" old and new - TV aerial tounge2.gif )

And heading away from the Cathedral, past the Castle to the West

Img_0906s.jpg

Once I've got a tripod, I'll have to go into the Castle, since the views from the turret must be amazing. These two shots are taken from about 50m lower than the top of the turret

Img_0907s.jpg

Full size Caution: ~2.5MB

Img_0908s.jpg

Full size Caution: ~2.5MB

[Edit] I wish I could spell tounge2.gif [/Edit]

Oh, and I did find the Imp, but even on "maximum" zoom, my 55mm lens isn't good enough to pick him out.

Again, comments, hints and tips are welcome smile_o.gif

Aaand finally, do YOU know the muffin man?

muffin.jpg

tounge2.gif

Quite nice shots DM, a bit on the "touristy" side, but you'll learn to avoid that look soon enough. Alot of the shots would have benefited from holding the camera vertically, and not being so tightly cut.

Another thing, that shot of the tower, has some great potential. Try to get closer and lower, to convey the size of the tower.

P.S Also try to fiddle with contrast and saturation settings of your camera (or in PS), the colours are a wee bit dull.

The usual nature photography.

bbroms1.jpg

Horsefly, Chrysops caecutiens

horm.jpg

European adder, Vipera berus

horm2.jpg

Another European adder, Vipera berus

vgroda.jpg

Common frog, Rana temporaria and my hairy knuckles again. Found 3 meters from and 1 minute after adder #2.

Nice pics Raptor, i like the vibrance in the colours smile_o.gif

I walked to the "Aircraft Viewing Area" at the north end of Waddingtons' main runway today. Forgetting that the RAF shuts down at 17:00 for the night I didnt get there until 18:00ish (its a 4 mile walk from my uni house)

Anyho, the weather crapped out on me as I walked, so the pics werent great, plus I'm still waiting on my tripod and telephoto lens, so these are wide angle shots at "best"

Here's the pics:

There's a Vulcan "Gate Guard" opposite the viewing area, from Waddingtons' Cold War bomber station heritage

Img_0915.jpg

Img_0920.jpg

And looking down the main runway (the "high-tech" fence is ~6 feet high, luckily I'm taller tounge2.gif )

I'll also endeavour to cross the road and take some pics over the top of the fence at some point, so as not to have it in the shot

Img_0912.jpg

And the one bit of flying I did manage to catch, if blurrily

Img_0927.jpg

Better pics with better weather to follow.

A few from a trip to an old friend's wedding last week:

wedding012s9hc.jpg

wedding055s4qv.jpg

wedding145s4ds.jpg

wedding146s1dh.jpg

Interesting product placement in a shop at one of the stops along the way:

wedding143s8ax.jpg

A few from a trip to an old friend's wedding last week:

wink_o.gif

Nice pics Tovarish, where are they taken?

I'm guessing somewhere in Canada (duh) but it seems a little odd to me to have an RAF ensign flying over a Canadian F-5 wink_o.gif

Thanks, the pics were taken in either St. Thomas, Ontario, or on the road there from Ottawa - See here:

Mapquest <- scroll down for map

The CF-5 was somewhere in the middle, I think before Toronto when going towards St. Thomas. We drove past it at 120km/h - I was lucky to spot it, let alone manage to get a shot. The flag is that of the RCAF:

RCAF_Flag.jpg

Ahhhh, that makes sense...

I suppose I should have either realised (or checked) that first. Ho hum.

Some pics i have taken this week all unedited

dscf61614gy.th.jpg

dscf61277fz.th.jpg

dscf61286um.th.jpg

dscf61322ze.th.jpg

dscf61435ly.th.jpg

dscf61540sc.th.jpg

thats all for now hehe

whistle.gif

I recommend adding a watermark to your photos if you're a serious photographer, or if you value your work enough. It just takes 3 clicks of a mouse to copy and save a picture, and that's it gone... I don't have any image editing software on this laptop unfortunately, as if I did, I'd be posting more of my photography sad_o.gif