Sign in to follow this  
Anti_Gravity

Computer specs

Gday fellas,

I have a Pentium 3 1000 (a bit old, but i think is fast enough to support OFP), 384 MB of ram (Sd), a GF4 MX440 (came with the computer) with 64 MB Of ram and pretty big harddisk (30 gbites).

How fast should OFP run (frame rates) in my computer?

EDIT: terribly sorry. This should have been in the troubleshooting section sad_o.gif

Well, OFP can pretty much run on most stone-age PC's as long as you configure it properly, but I'd say it should run fairly decent, but without too many bells and whistles though.

Hell, even the best of PC's today can't even run the game at maxed out settings. wink_o.gif

In Flashpoint preferences, my CPU benchmark is 1453. Is that right for a computer of my specs?

- Thanks for the reply! smile_o.gif

Well you have Opf so you know how well it runs (or not), if it runs ok then your system is ok, if not then you need to upgrade, you're the one who should know how well your system works with it smile_o.gif

Assuming you're running OFP Resistance (i.e., anything from version 1.75 and up), you'll most likely have to lower your preference program settings and video options to play smoothly.

Personally, when I originally installed Resistance on a P3 700Mhz notebook with 256MB RAM and a very miniscule graphics chip, I was not happy with the sluggishness.

You have slighly more CPU, a much better video adapter and more RAM, so you'll likely be able to tweak your settings to make gameplay enjoyable with a reduction in visual quality.

OFP could run better on a 1ghz/128ram/MX220 than on a 1.8GHZ/256ram/MX440 Its like, Drivers and stuff...

OFP could run better on a 1ghz/128ram/MX220 than on a 1.8GHZ/256ram/MX440 Its like, Drivers and stuff...

What do base this on? rock.gif Sounds absurd. rock.gif

Fair enought fellas smile_o.gif

I was just trying to find the most optimal performance for my machine smile_o.gif. Guess it is up to me then.

Cheers and thanks for the replies (again)

lol...by "stuff" you mean like having a 50% fragmented HDD like? Hehehe wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Naaah it's not absurd, it's easy to make a game run worse on a good machine than on an old machine, stuff like antivirus running and checking every file as it is accessed, massively fragmented hard drive, lots of apps running in the background, old old drivers, all those things will tear it down, thus those that know better know not to allow any of those things to happen to get the best out of whichever system we're running smile_o.gif

Placebo is absolutely correct.

. Antivirus should be shut off and all this other funky stuff. Actually what I do is press ctrl alt delete and get rid of most of the stuff I see on the list (kind of suicidal since I dont know most of them). I was astonished how much changing the OFP setup already can boost performance without realy deteriorating image quality. Secondly we all know that some of the late P3 were faster than the early P4.

But I disagree on the fact that not even the newest standard PC can run on Max settings. I am pretty much sure they can. Take this one for example. I would say it is relatively new one in an average shop in germany. I bet I could get a decent frame-rate on max settings! this one for example

Naaah it's not absurd, it's easy to make a game run worse on a good machine than on an old machine, stuff like antivirus running and checking every file as it is accessed, massively fragmented hard drive, lots of apps running in the background, old old drivers, all those things will tear it down, thus those that know better know not to allow any of those things to happen to get the best out of whichever system we're running smile_o.gif

No I meant assuming equivalent conditions. Mahooney's statement, as a "general" assumption, is what I questioned.

But I disagree on the fact that not even the newest standard PC can run on Max settings.

I've seen gripes from forum members who post on the OFP photography thread that when they take pics at max settings (especially terrain detail), it's not playable.

I believe Suma made similar comments in the not-to-distant past about OFP running at max on today's PCs.

Right around the time OFP2 comes out, we might have machines capable of running OFP with maxed out settings. crazy_o.gif

Right around the time OFP2 comes out, we might have machines capable of running OFP with maxed out settings.  crazy_o.gif

Maxed out settings for OFP1 or OFP2? tounge_o.gif

ofp1 or course. --with ECP + addons + 5000 viewdistance + high terrain detail .... who needs OFP2!? biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Having just bought a new computer I can answer this one at both ends. The new comp is not exactly top of the range but does have Athlon 3000+ chip with 512 RAM and Raytheon 9800 graphics card. I suppose you could play a mission at max settings, providing the mission had only 1 unit on each side. tounge_o.gif

The old one was a PII 400Meg with Voodoo4 graphics card. This was the minimum possible spec for Resistance - to complete the campaign I was once or twice reduced to pausing, putting the viewdistance up to 1500 or 2000 to have a quick peek, then putting it back down to 900 or so to continue the mission.

heh... I mean with view distance and details set to high/max

I get terrible lag on my Athlon 2000XP 512mb ram g-force ti-4200 system crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]heh... I mean with view distance and details set to high/max

I don't think any PC can manage a large battle with max settings tounge_o.gif .

Err, you are not going to get much better performance on the 64Bit processor since OFp does not take advantage of 64Bit processing, it's a 32bit application.

And actually the P4 can likely outperform the 64bit AMD because well, OFP is 32 bit, so it's the usual benchmark...