Sign in to follow this  
dinger

Coc unified artillery 1.0 released

This post is completly edited:

Ok I hope this is tha last edit. The "missing CoC_ObHum sound" problem appears when you have CoC_Arty.pbo in operation flashpoint/Addons folder and "gaz24mx.pbo" (from the 1.5 beta release of the GAZ 24 car) in a mod or res/addons folder.

If you put both pbo's in the same addons folder you don't get the problem. Or if you place CoC_Arty.pbo in operation flashpoint/res/addons folder you don't have any problem too. But remember that the readme states that CoC_Arty goes into operation flashpoint/addons folder. So I don't recommend putting it in operation flashpoint/res/addons folder.

This is indeed a great milestone in OFP. The first good artillery addon. Superb work from COC. I especially love the intro mission which is a great tutorial for using the pack.

Couple of things I noticed:

-the MLRS seems to miss it's target by quite a lot if located far away. On the intro mission I targeted the main Nogova airbase with it (yes I know it was a friendly base but the camp had been obliterated by then wink_o.gif) and I don't know where the rounds landed but it was nowhere near the airfield. I didn't even hear any explosions. Most of the time the MLRS is accurate however, so not sure what's up here

-if you use a platoon of M109's one unit always seems to be unable to sit still and frequently ends up firing in completely the wrong direction whilst the others fire accurately. I think it's the leader unit that has the problem

I'm glad you added support for East and Res arty. Hopefully Hawk will release his 2S19 modified for UA as it would be the ideal counterpart to the M109. Maybe the North Korean mod's truck mounted MLRS (can't remember the name of that unit) could also be used as the Russian MLRS. And I'm sure there are a few Russian mortars and towed guns floating around which could also be used.

Once again, great work, and thanks. smile_o.gif

...holy cow!

Amazing thing, all great!

and now a Vietnam CH-47 which can attach the 101....

AIRMOBILITY! crazy_o.gif

This is indeed a great milestone in OFP. The first good artillery addon. Superb work from COC. I especially love the intro mission which is a great tutorial for using the pack.

-the MLRS seems to miss it's target by quite a lot if located far away. On the intro mission I targeted the main Nogova airbase with it (yes I know it was a friendly base but the camp had been obliterated by then wink_o.gif) and I don't know where the rounds landed but it was nowhere near the airfield. I didn't even hear any explosions. Most of the time the MLRS is accurate however, so not sure what's up here

-if you use a platoon of M109's one unit always seems to be unable to sit still and frequently ends up firing in completely the wrong direction whilst the others fire accurately. I think it's the leader unit that has the problem

I'm glad you added support for East and Res arty. Hopefully Hawk will release his 2S19 modified for UA as it would be the ideal counterpart to the M109. Maybe the North Korean mod's truck mounted MLRS (can't remember the name of that unit) could also be used as the Russian MLRS. And I'm sure there are a few Russian mortars and towed guns floating around which could also be used.

this is kind of strange cause i dont got this problems,it is just not easy to adjust fire, it is a bit hard to learn sad_o.gif

Adjusting fire can indeed be tricky. Remember that you adjust based on YOUR point of view and not that of the map, so if you are facing due south and want to adjust 100m left, that's what you choose. If it was based on the map you would need to adjust 100m right. The way it is is a lot easier.

The main trouble I have is accurately hitting moving targets, e.g. convoys. Because it can take over a minute from ordering a strike to receiving it, it's extremely difficult to accurately predict where the target will be when the rounds land. Unless they are moving at 'limited' speed it's pretty much impossible. I guess it's realistic; it's just hard! crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

in fact i not really mind if there is voiced dialogue for the status, what i really like is a realistic text dialogue, but as you guys may had discussions about which is better so it just fine for me..........

also i just wondering, are those artillery targeting the center of the grid squares? cause i think those rounds just landing away fron my target...............

so an OT question, what words did they use to ask/command when they want to call for artillery support in the real world? i could get some idea from Band of Brothers but first it is a TV Series, and secound it is in WWII......... sad_o.gif

so an OT question, what words did they use to ask/command when they want to call for artillery support in the real world?

Something like "requesting artillery at [position] for [fire time in seconds] against [infantry/armored/etc]".

also i just wondering, are those artillery targeting the center of the grid squares? cause i think those rounds just landing away fron my target...............

Artillery isn't very accurate.

so an OT question, what words did they use to ask/command when they want to call for artillery support in the real world?

Something like "requesting artillery at [position] for [fire time in seconds] against [infantry/armored/etc]".

oh i see, so it just something like what in Band of Brothers

"Easy Beaver to Easy Minor(unit call sign). Reinforce Easy at phase one yellow(unit position). Plus one, strike three. Fire concentration Charile. Dropped 200, left 100 (position of enemys and adjustment, in this case, Karuts). Karuts in the open, fire for effect, over."

is that what the way in WWII?

That means:

Ari is not designed to hit a tank 100% over 15kilometers.

But 4 M109 together firing bomblet for example can make the tank crew a very bad day!

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Yes good observations.

Your rounds are flying into the Northern mountains of Nogova. It is simply a bad position for the MLRS to fire from as it does low angle launches. We know about this one. The missiles are proximity fused and do not detonate if hitting that hillside.

We know about the M109 being not ready in the intro, that is caused by not waiting for them to be ready, it is for intro purposes only and should not occur during normal firing.

Nope they are not targeting grid squares, but realistic artillery inaccuracy has been built into the core of the UA. Without error factored in you would have unrealistic precision (which we did have). smile_o.gif

i would like to add that modern artillery(at least us arty) is very acurate the rounds they now use are gps guided, and laser guided also even the stupid rounds are accurate because of the current fire controll systems expesialy the pallidin

Your rounds are flying into the Northern mountains of Nogova.  It is simply a bad position for the MLRS to fire from as it does low angle launches.  We know about this one.  The missiles are proximity fused and do not detonate if hitting that hillside.

we can use this as a trick to enemys artillery too smile_o.gif

in single mission 7(i think is is 7 rock.gif the night mission?)

i just simply moved the M109s to the hill side of northeast and enemys could hit not thing but rocks and dirts on the other side of the hill smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]also i just wondering, are those artillery targeting the center of the grid squares? cause i think those rounds just landing away fron my target...............

With artillery you have two types of error: bias error and precision error.

Bias error is dictated by the environment and equal for all units. For instance imprecision in the reading of the wind or the pressure gives a bias error.

Precision error is dictated by the unit types. All different units have different precision values due to their different design.

In UA,  you can turn those errors off by adding the gamelogics "Zero bias error" and "Zero precision error". Then you'll get very accurate shots. The neural network that does the targeting has an error of less than 0.5 m at 32 km range.

It's however not very realistic to have such precision.

Second, the impact point is decided by what firing pattern  (sheafs) you use. (Firing Options->Distribution).

This is staight from the UA docs:

allsheafs.jpg

Quote[/b] ]

circular sheaf. [JP 1-02] (DoD) The radial distribution of the fire of two or more pieces so that the impact points are equidistant relative the target.

converged sheaf. [JP 1-02] (DoD) The lateral distribution of fire of two or more pieces so that the planes of fire intersect at a given point.  

open sheaf. [JP 1-02] (DoD) The lateral distribution of the fire of two or more pieces so that adjoining points of impact or points of burst are separated by the maximum effective width of burst of the type shell being used.

ranged sheaf. [JP 1-02] (DoD) The technique used to place the mean point of impact of two or more units 100 meters apart on the gun-target line.  

parallel sheaf. [JP 1-02] (DoD) In artillery and naval gunfire support, a sheaf in which the planes (lines) of fire of all pieces are parallel

The default one in UA is the Circular (BCS) sheaf.

Quote[/b] ]so an OT question, what words did they use to ask/command when they want to call for artillery support in the real world?

The ones that you hear in UA.  They're taken directly from a US Army manual for artillery spotting. (It should be added that it's the most simple version - IRL you can forward much more info to the arty, as you often use the same link to forward recon data)

hum.......a bit clear now, thx guys smile_o.gif

(but wont help much cause even you adjust the aimpoint correctly there would be errors.............20% from God, 70% from luck, and the tiny 10% from skills.......... sad_o.gif )

hey great addons guys i get along with this very much

one thing i need to no.. wats with the oblisk? and wat it say on it?

(but wont help much cause even you adjust the aimpoint correctly there would be errors.............20% from God, 70% from luck, and the tiny 10% from skills.......... sad_o.gif )

Of course you can, the bias error is environement specific and therefor constant in a fire mission. By adjusting the fire you compensate for it. You just need a bit of training smile_o.gif

Put it in spot mode, fire one round and see where it gets, adjust, fire new spot round and adjust again etc You'll get the feel for it.

Quote[/b] ]one thing i need to no.. wats with the oblisk?

The Obelisk is the heart of UA. It starts the system on all clients. Without the obelisk on the map, the UA does not start.

Quote[/b] ]i would like to add that modern artillery(at least us arty) is very acurate  the rounds they now use are gps guided, and laser guided also even the stupid rounds are accurate because of the current fire controll systems expesialy the pallidin

The precision of the unguided rounds is limited - not due to the fire control system but due to precision and bias error. With GPS or laser guidance, you can compensate to a certain degree but they are still ballistic objects and the corrections you can do are minor.

Of course you can, the bias error is environement specific and therefor constant in a fire mission. By adjusting the fire you compensate for it. You just need a bit of training smile_o.gif

Put it in spot mode, fire one round and see where it gets, adjust, fire new spot round and adjust again etc You'll get the feel for it.

Thats what i already doing (=____=)

i know what distribution is better in some cases and some better in anothers, i know how to adjust (not too accrate though), but the problems is that it just keep missing after the adjustment, it just wont go into someone place near the last one.................

Quote[/b] ]We do know And they were there, unfortunately with the sound engine of OFP people could hear them from 10-15Km away.  Sorry, that just won't cut it, so we have turned the volume of the flying shells down.  They are still there.  

Yeah BN880 - could be very annoying, when ppl have to listen

to it from launch until impact  tounge_o.gif

What i meant is:

at launch - depends on the type of arty - already there, no need for makin summit new

before impact - huuuuuuuuuuuuuuh - this one might become

tricky, but as you are already calculating the shell's flight route, you could have the sound waiting for a certain distance

from the target area and then let it have a go.

If you need some decent incomming sssssssh's, leave me

a messy on icq - i got alot of them in wav format from some

round based strategy games.

Also what i thought could be nice to see in any later version:

Ability to call for adjustment fire, before ordering the main strike.

Let's say: 1 shell to given coordinates

followed by a dialogue:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

xxx N/S               xxx W/E

adjustment fire

main strike

While the N/S and the W/E fields could be predefined

scroll bars like:

500              500

400              400

300              300

200              200

100  N          100  W

000  -           000  -

100  S          100   E

200              200

300              300

400              400

500              500

:note - range values are just an example, not to be taken

1 by 1 from you (000 would be default setting of the scroll

bar)

button: adjustment fire - would send one more shell to the

altered coordinates

button: main strike - would then make the big badaboooom

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]We do know And they were there, unfortunately with the sound engine of OFP people could hear them from 10-15Km away.  Sorry, that just won't cut it, so we have turned the volume of the flying shells down.  They are still there.  

Yeah BN880 - could be very annoying, when ppl have to listen

to it from launch until impact  tounge_o.gif

What i meant is:

at launch - depends on the type of arty - already there, no need for makin summit new

before impact - huuuuuuuuuuuuuuh - this one might become

tricky, but as you are already calculating the shell's flight route, you could have the sound waiting for a certain distance

from the target area and then let it have a go.

If you need some decent incomming sssssssh's, leave me

a messy on icq - i got alot of them in wav format from some

round based strategy games.

Also what i thought could be nice to see in any later version:

Ability to call for adjustment fire, before ordering the main strike.

Let's say: 1 shell to given coordinates

followed by a dialogue:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

xxx N/S               xxx W/E

adjustment fire

main strike

While the N/S and the W/E fields could be predefined

scroll bars like:

500              500

400              400

300              300

200              200

100  N          100  W

000  -           000  -

100  S          100   E

200              200

300              300

400              400

500              500

:note - range values are just an example, not to be taken

1 by 1 from you (000 would be default setting of the scroll

bar)

button: adjustment fire - would send one more shell to the

altered coordinates

button: main strike - would then make the big badaboooom

~S~ CD

there is already spot round command

Quote[/b] ]there is already spot round command

wow_o.gif

Then i feel sorry for not having bothered myself to check it all

out, before commin up with suggestions to improve.

*feels ashamed and goes into the penalty box for 1 hour now*

ghostface.gif

~S~ CD

just wanted to inform you that we released the radio 180. Swedish one that works by defualt in CoC UA. It was planned to be released with sfp 4.0 but then i notice that all the radios needed a big addon.. like french point, nam pack or bas. So i thought it would be good to release just a radio.

It is around 500 kb and doesn't include any uint, just the radio "weapon".

class name is sfpra180

so if you want to use it with any of your soldier or something, just type:

this addweapon "sfpra180"

and be sure to use the "enable radio" gamelogic and it will work.

Download Ra180 here

Txs Coc...this is a new age for OFP

Just a question...what is the text in the obelisk? Looks like ancient sanscrit or some southeast asia writing?

Found a bug/incompatability with Laser's Russian Special forces.  Is soon as I add UA to a mission with these unit's, half-opened parachutes appear above their heads.  Anyone else have this issue?

Update: Never mind, figured out it was the dog addon that caused the problem.