Sign in to follow this  
dinger

Coc unified artillery 1.0 released

theres nio texturees inside the actual mlrs

there no interior

is it meant to be like this?

The textures on the MLRS are temporary. They BAS guy that was to texture it didn't have time to make it to the release so I made some temporary extrnal textures and didn't bother with making internal ones. Just as Munger says - it's not meant to be controlled directly by the player. Nevertheless, the final version of the MLRS will have internal textures too.

How can I make AI to use artillery?

For some reason I cant get all documentary to work.   sad_o.gif

It's kinda explained in the mission editing.txt file although it would be alot clearer with a template mission I think.

Basically it's simple.

You put in some empty CoC artillery of your choice on the map set to "unlocked".

Then you put in whatever enemy soldiers you want who you want manning the artillery with this in their init files:

this moveingunner name_of_arty;

name of arty is of coarse the name of whatever artillery piece you want the bad guys to be in. For the MLRS and M109 you will also have to put in for two other soldiers:

this moveindriver name_of_arty;

and

this moveincommander name_of_arty;

But for the mortars and howitzer field gun, you just need a gunner position.

Ok, once you do that if you want you guns to fire together, make sure that all the enemy AI soldiers are grouped.

Then give the group leader a name.

Ok now comes the easy part.

Put a trigger set to be triggered by either West or by just your unit if you group the trigger to the player unit.

Then in the trigger (I think it's called the activation box or something like that) put this script in it:

[name_of_arty, [name_of_player]] call CoCfIFCallFire

Of coarse substitute the names for whatever you are using for your arty group leader and player unit.

Now during the mission when you hit that trigger, within a minute or so, the arty will start coming down on or near your position. If your squad is moving quickly you may want to put an object well ahead of the route your squad will be likely to take and then name it. Then substitute the nameofplayer part in the script with the name of that object. That way by the time your squad gets there the artillery will be coming down around you. Otherwise the artillery will hit on your old position where you were at when the artillery was first called.

For having friendly AI do artillery missions you do the same thing except that you don't have to use empty vehicles, but just the West CoC_artillery units. Then you just substitute the players name in the trigger script to the name of whatever East unit or object that you want targeted by the arty. You also have to decided how you want the triggers to be... um... triggered. smile_o.gif

Now to get the enemy or friendly AI to actually use a forward observer in an intelligent manner... I have NOOOO earthly idea how to do that or whether that is even possible.

Again if it is possible, then CoC seriously needs to make a demo template mission showing how to do this because it would be very useful having a FO on your squad that does all the work for you and who you have to protect.

Anyways I hope that helped a bit.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Bloody awesome job guys:)

I was killin myself laughin at the intro. Some of those Ruskies must have flown a quarter mile lol. I will read on and see how to make the Russians or whoever to be able to use this and make a mission to attack and disable a fire base (would be cool ambience to be sneakin up on them under the fire while their blasting away.). Really opens things up for some different missions. Thank you very much.

Rossco (PowerHour)

But how do you do so that you can call artillery by clicking on the map? rock.gif

Can you guys change it so that if artillery is in your squad, you can still use them?

I want to incorporate it with RTS3, so when you make the arty, you can use it CoC style, but it won't work right.

Also, when I added ones none grouped to me, it worked, then I died/respawned and I didn't get a radio command.. I'd like that to get incorporated too..Unless when I spawned something happend...

Anyways, CoC_UA RULES! WOO! THANKS!

Artillery in your squad: the problems are numerous. The two big ones are:

A. control system has to be local to the artillery units. Disembarking/Embarking is going to switch it around. Heck, server-side createvehicling with player-controlled units will be trouble.

B. UA needs control over the units combatmode and behaviour.

You can, however, create artillery units in a mission, using createvehicle, createunit and moveindriver/moveingunner/moveincommander; so it could work in an RTS or CTI-style mission, just with a different tech tree and some AI groups dedicated to them.

iNeo I suggest you try the introductory mission, it explains that.

Unless you mean how scripting wise, we use the onMapSingleClick function. smile_o.gif

But how do you do so that you can call artillery by clicking on the map? rock.gif

Err maybe I did not understand this one.

You mean if your East player?

It is the same as west (there is a CoC Forward Observer east use him) or use a west Radio or an East one I think I saw someone Say they were making one (they just hook in to UA or once again in the manual it describes how to script it in; mentioned some where in this thread all ready.

I guess a lot of your problems will be solved as the east units get moded up to UA (could be only a few days but more likely a couple of weeks) ditto WWII artilery or any of the other MODs who have already asked.

Kind Regards Walker

As for the CoC_ObHum:

It turns out that the problem is caused by having two addons making the same config.cpp mistake.

If you bust open our config.cpp, you'll see that I have a couple of lines in there that read:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

sounds[]={CoCIFCallFire, CoCIFMTO, CoCIFReady, CoCIFFireSpot, CoCIFFiredSpot,

CoCIFFireEffect, CoCIFFiredEffect, CoCIFSplash, CoCIFAdjust, CoCIFUnable,

CoCIFMove, CoCIFMobile, CoCIFCeaseLoading, CoCIFRoundsComplete,

CoCIFMissionComplete, CoCIFmlrsmto, CoCIFmlrsunderstood, CoCIFmlrscomplete,

CoCIFmlrslaunch, CoCIFmlrssplash, CoCIFmlrsunderway, CoCIFmlrsready, CoCIFmlrsable};

and

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

sounds[] = {CoC_ObHum};

Extending from description.ext to config.cpp, I was under the impression that these lines "declare" the sounds to follow. I was wrong. What they seem do is they produce an exclusive master list of all sounds in that class available to addons.

So if you comment these lines out, the conflicts with addons by others who made the same mistake will disappear.

The next version will correct this error.

My apologies,

Dinger

Dinger@thechainofcommand.com

Dang Dinger, that just ruins the entire addon!!

;)

Sweet addon...wonder if that would be overkill for RTS? What might be a cool mission with this is each team has some arty's, and their own assets which are somewhat randomly placed. The goal would be to direct your arty's to wipe out the other team's assets before they do the same to yours.

I have only one minor quibble: some of the explosions sound kind of like popcorn rather than big booms. Otherwise, this is a very realistic and very well scripted addon!

GJ CoC!

Great Dinger smile_o.gif

I was investigating in the cpp too and was a bit confused with those sound entries. I wasn't sure what they do.

Good to know that you found the problem now. So I can save my head for other things ;)

Which sounds sound like popcorn? smile_o.gif MLRS munitions, or other rounds?

Thanks for the info Miles.

Now I will go test that info in OFP. Dam this addon is going to ruin my school work for next months. biggrin_o.gif

Sweet addon...wonder if that would be overkill for RTS?  What might be a cool mission with this is each team has some arty's, and their own assets which are somewhat randomly placed.  The goal would be to direct your arty's to wipe out the other team's assets before they do the same to yours.

During our MP tests we discovered a new lovely form foul play in OFP. You know the joys of people spawn point killing? With artillery this can be taken to a whole new level: spawn point shelling. You just put a countinuous barrage over the enemy spaw point  wow_o.gif

Well, to prevent that, we've added functionallity to restrict the shelling of defined areas. For examples of how this is done, check for instance the ctf mp mission bundled with UA.

Unless you mean how scripting wise, we use the onMapSingleClick function.  smile_o.gif

Yeah how do you do that? (I want to add artillery under a group leader's command in a coop of mine.)

Maybe I should just depbo your instruction mission and copy paste parts of it.

Unless you mean how scripting wise, we use the onMapSingleClick function.  smile_o.gif

Yeah how do you do that? (I want to add artillery under a group leader's command in a coop of mine.)

Maybe I should just depbo your instruction mission and copy paste parts of it.

Err The easiest method is to just use the UA with Radios it is MP compatable.

No special scripts just editor placed objects.

Kind Regards walker

Just add this to his init line:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[this] exec "\CoC_Arty\scripts\RadioAction.sqs"

It gives him a radio. Or use the FO class or some other unit with a radio..

Now heres a question that I might regret asking.

Does any of these addons in this CoC pack have smoke or illum munitions??

If so how do I get to use them as they dont seem to be available inthe menus.

One question, maybe I am to stupid to read the readme. wink_o.gif

A group of 4 ppl.

I am groupleader and have this in the init field:

[this] exec "\CoC_Arty\scripts\RadioAction.sqs"

An empty M109, order three man into it.

CoC Logo/IF entry appears.

M109 is under my "command".

There is a action menue entry "command asset", but clicking it does nothing.

Is it not possible to take command of an empty vehicle?

MfG Lee

I just encountered a minor... issue with UA, I'm not sure if you guys are aware of it. It's kind of annoying. I think I know what caused it. I tested out the m109 on the desert island template and put some targets out by the big hill in the middle of desert isle and the m109 on the other end of the island where the obelisk is situated, I think when the m109 actually "saw" the targets itself  and started shooting at them something fucked up. Because it said that I didn't have an obelisk in the map and It most certainly did.

@Oswald: Dinger responded to a similar post about grouped units and troubles with UA

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]

Quote (MrZig @ Oct. 26 2003,07:06)

Can you guys change it so that if artillery is in your squad, you can still use them?

I want to incorporate it with RTS3, so when you make the arty, you can use it CoC style, but it won't work right.

Also, when I added ones none grouped to me, it worked, then I died/respawned and I didn't get a radio command.. I'd like that to get incorporated too..Unless when I spawned something happend...

Anyways, CoC_UA RULES! WOO! THANKS!

Artillery in your squad: the problems are numerous. The two big ones are:

A. control system has to be local to the artillery units.  Disembarking/Embarking is going to switch it around.  Heck, server-side createvehicling with player-controlled units will be trouble.

B. UA needs control over the units combatmode and behaviour.

You can, however, create artillery units in a mission, using createvehicle, createunit and moveindriver/moveingunner/moveincommander; so it could work in an RTS or CTI-style mission, just with a different tech tree and some AI groups dedicated to them

... apparently there's problems of some sort with using UA and groups...

True enough Oswald but the thing is it's not so much an issue of unit independence...

UA -stops working- if that happens it seems.

Place the artillary on a remot place. I have my units on a small island next to Tonal.

I just encountered a minor... issue with UA, I'm not sure if you guys are aware of it. It's kind of annoying. I think I know what caused it. I tested out the m109 on the desert island template and put some targets out by the big hill in the middle of desert isle and the m109 on the other end of the island where the obelisk is situated, I think when the m109 actually "saw" the targets itself  and started shooting at them something fucked up. Because it said that I didn't have an obelisk in the map and It most certainly did.

I can bet that you didn't wait for the UA system to kick up. It only detects the obelisk after it is started up (i.e after you see the logo). If the units fire before the core system is initialized, you'll get the "Please add an Obelisk" hint. You can safely ignore it as the system will initialize (if you indeed have put an obelisk).

Now, as for the m109 - if they have a clear line to the target they switch into direct mode and fire in a straight line to the target. This is their form of self-defence. Don't count too much on it though since a m109 is no match against a tank.

The "no obelisk" message is when a unit fires before coc_arty initialization (at coc_arty init, the obelisk lights up, makes a whizzing noise and shows the splash screen). If you fire before init, or without a proper obelisk (=an empty or tipped over obelisk), you will get this message.

The "no obelisk" message appears in "direct mode" firing. If the m109s can "see" a target, they will engage it. Unfortunately, Direct Mode" accuracy is terrible. I'd explain the technical reasons why, but I don't think anyone's that interested.