Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

War against terror

ok, bassajew is demanding the things you mention

Something sounds fishy. rock.gif

what's the point of this post? rock.gif

My humor was lost on your spelling. Never mind. smile_o.gif

I'd compare Aslan Maskhadov's assassination to the assassination of Prime Minister of Israel Yitzhak Rabin in 1995. They both wanted peace in their countries and they both were killed. And we all know what happened in Israel after Rabin's death. I suppose that the same is gonna happen to Chechnya now - the only chance for peace died along with Aslan Maskhadov.

it's the german way of witing it: check!

I'd call that comparison a bit, ah, daring. While he wasn't the animal the russians like to paint him as, he was fighting the russians and thus has to take part of the responsibility of what has been happening in Chechnya during the last decade. If only because of his inability to keep the radicals on his side on the leash.

I don't say he wasn't al least partialy responsible for the Second Chechen War but the point is that now there is nobody who could united all Chechens and start to talk on behalf of them to Russians. Imho, we won't see peace in this part of Caucasus for many years now.

One more thing - why Chechen war for freedom is being discussed in a thread called "war against terror"? Who are the terrorists in this armed conflict that lasts for more than 200 years? I guess it's a complete misunderstanding in this matter.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday osama biin laaaadeeen happy birthday to youuuu.. ghostface.gif

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday osama biin laaaadeeen happy birthday to youuuu.. ghostface.gif

Hey shinRaiden, look who you share a B'day with!

Surprise! tounge_o.gif

Well, the Chechens have themselfs to blame for not having their own country. They had a shot at independance, and they used it spread terror into neighboring countries and regions. Russia had to intervene.

If you quit with the spam-joke-one liners people don't need to worry about never minding. If you're here for proper discussion then discuss, else you and the the discussion will be best served if you choose another thread.

Well, the Chechens have themselfs to blame for not having their own country. They had a shot at independance, and they used it spread terror into neighboring countries and regions. Russia had to intervene.

ROTFL

It sounds like a Russians propaganda to me. Could you tell me what "they", "terror" and "neighboring countries and regions" you're talkin' about?

And I bet you'll tell me that the Russians made a good thing when they invaded Chechnya in September 1999 just as they "had to" intervene for example in Afghanistan on December 24, 1978?

Learn some facts about this Caucasus conflict before you say something stupid next time.

It's not quite that simple.  In Chechnya you had a similar problem to Afghanistan (post Soviet Occupation and currently) in that the people with the guns (warlards and their thugs) took over the government.  Amongst them were a large number of Wahabbi extremists from Saudi Arabia that enjoyed having their own little private armies.   But at any rate, you can not blame all Chechens for the behavior of armed thugs that overran their country.

Also Chechnya will continue to remain a primary are for Jihad for Muslims all over the world who want to go fight in every conflict involving Muslims.  However, with Chechnya it is more difficult for the rebels these days in large part because Iraq is drawing away many of the foreign fighters who had been fighting against the Russians before.  Furthermore, the United States and neighboring countries bordering Chechnya are cooperating more closely to seal off the borders of Chechnya to prevent supplies and fighters from entering and leaving Chechnya.  

In addition the Russians have total control of the media there so you rarely hear about the horrific attrocities perpetrated by the Russian military there.   You only hear about the terrorist attrocities against Russian civilians.

This along with a steady program of executing any suspected rebel has made it very difficult for the rebels there.  However I think that even if the rebellion is surpressed, it will eventually re-emerge.  It will only simmer.

Iraq however is a different ball-game.  The borders of Iraq are vastly more difficult to control as it is surrounded by countries with populations highly sympathetic to the militants in Iraq who are fighting the United States and the current Iraqi government.  That and the fact that the world media has its spotlight on Iraq prevents the US from carrying out a iron fist policy like Russia is doing in Chechnya.  That would backfire tremendously and would only further isolate the US in the world (my making us look like even worse hypocrits) and vastly increase support for terrorists.  Unfortunately there are many in the Pentagon and in the Bush administration who are pushing for this type of policy to "out terrorize the terrorists."

I hope very strongly that the "Salvadore Option" as it is called will not become the new US policy in Iraq.  If so, we're set for a very very long and extremely bloody conflict and probably further divisions between the United States and Europe.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Finally some public outrage at Bin Laden and his followers form of Islam and extremism?

Quote[/b] ]Spanish Muslims issue fatwa against Al-Qaeda's Osama Bin Laden

MADRID (AFX) - Spain's Islamic Commission, which groups the nation's Muslim community, said it was issuing a fatwa against Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden,

'We are going to issue a fatwa (religious decree) against Bin Laden this afternoon,' Mansour Escudero, who leads the Federation of Islamic religious entities (Feeri) and co-secretary general of the Spanish governmenmt-created Commission told AFP.

The Commission invited Spanish-based imams to condemn terrorism at Friday prayers, when the whole country will be remembering the 191 people who were killed in the train blasts and the 1,900 injured a year ago.

The attacks have been blamed on mainly Moroccan Islamic extremists loyal to Bin Laden.

'We have called on imams to make a formal declaration condemning terrorism and for a special prayer for all the victims of terrorism,' Escudero said.

The Commission has also drawn up a document designed to 'thank the Spanish people and the government for their attitude towards Muslims' since last March 11, in particular for not taking 'disproportionate' measures similar to those which the Sept 11 attacks sparked in the US.

The Commission called on Muslims to take part in Friday's commemorative programme being organised by Spanish authorities and community groups and to work with them to ensure terrorism was defeated.

Link

I'm sure though that this will get little coverage. Certainly not anymore than the outrage that was expressed when the beheadings started.

EDIT: I'm not quite sure what "disporportionate" measures they are talking about in the US....

I'm sure though that this will get little coverage.

Why? It's even already on Israel's Arutz 7.

With all do respect, what is the readership of Arut7?

The story is not on BBC, MSNBC, CNN, or any other news site an American would most likely go to (though the Dave Matthews Band' s driver's plea is...theres news for ya.)

CBS had mention of the fatwa in their news broadcast tonight. I can't say whether the others did or not. Would be interested to know if Fox did (it would seem it would be good for their viewers).

I'm sure though that this will get little coverage.

Why? It's even already on Israel's Arutz 7.

With all do respect, what is the readership of Arut7?

Usually, if it's international news and it's on Arutz-7, it winds up everyhere else. That was my only point. And in fact, it has.

Funny it to 3.5 years to write a fatwa. And it was done just the day before Spain's 3/11 1st anniversary.

Aslan Maskhadov is DEAD!

Thats how you need to treat terrorists

In your opinion as Russian nuking them all will be a good treatment, and the civilians included! Eh!

But there is other solutions, for example Places like Guantanamo will isloate such people from doing terrorist activties and in the same time you folowed the international laws, if you really care for that part! wink_o.gif

Maskhadov is a real leader for those terrorist you talking about and maybe the only one can unite them for any kind of negotiations, many worst terrorist and war criminals involved in such negotiations for peace in the countries and they way the world looks for them changed after that!

Guantanamo will isloate such people from doing terrorist activties and in the same time you folowed the international laws

I'm sorry, did I just see the words "Guantanamo" and "following international laws" in the same sentence? wow_o.gif

Woopsie! :P

I meant at least they keeping them alive until they get a lawyer to defend them, as a war prisoners, not actually doing all the international rules, but some of them!

not actually doing all the international rules, but some of them!

LMAO. Thank you, I needed a laugh this morning.

I'm sorry, did I just see the words "Guantanamo" and "following international laws" in the same sentence?  wow_o.gif

Yes, with the word "terrorist" in between. Unfortunately, many points of international law were written up without terrorist warfare in mind. And nevermind that fact that most of the time, terrorists are classified as unlawful combatants by the Geneva Conventions and not as POWs.

Yes, we could (again) argue whether the 1977 addition to the Geneva Conventions means we have to play nice with captured terrorists are not. Good for late President Reagan that he rejected those changes in back in 1987.

not actually doing all the international rules, but some of them!

LMAO. Thank you, I needed a laugh this morning.

lol i know its funny,again at least they still alive:P

Some people didn’t see al aspects of terror they just watch it in TV, I hope they show you that, then I m going to wait for your new opinion after that , EH smile_o.gif

I'm sorry, did I just see the words "Guantanamo" and "following international laws" in the same sentence? wow_o.gif

Yes, with the word "terrorist" in between.

what about the word "alleged" in between?

Quote[/b] ]

lol i know its funny,again at least they still alive:P

Some people didn’t see al aspects of terror they just watch it in TV, I hope they show you that, then I m going to wait for your new opinion after that , EH smile_o.gif

I don't need to watch TV to see all the aspects of terror, I've just basically gone through a divorce ghostface.giftounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

I'm sorry, did I just see the words "Guantanamo" and "following international laws" in the same sentence?  wow_o.gif

Yes, with the word "terrorist" in between.

what about the word "alleged" in between?

The word "alleged" is nowhere to be found in nSe7en's original post.

And if your point is that in times of war you must haul every captured terrorist in front of an international panel and have a case running for a month or 2 or 3 to determine whether he is or isn't a terrorist, then:

1. I don't see the GCs saying that anywhere

and

2. It would just go to show how absurd the situation has gotten.