Sign in to follow this  
Sxep

Mohax´s hang glider!

Well in the adition to make it better playable ( i played a lot in MP with some buddies) You should add more fuel i think.

Its more fun. OF course its a Glider yea..but in ofp its not really usefull to lose fuel..so you cant really gain altitude and speed. The highest i got was 400 (started from a 300m mountain) so i concentrated on flying it at low altitude  wink_o.gif

Its really fun flying low over the Treetops and chasing other gliders.

Ppl here in Austria do that for real, they race with them. its kinda extreme sport  smile_o.gif

so far i could get to 1500 atl with a 2/3 of fuel used............

400 is the max. atl u can get to from airport

really nice!!!  rock.gif  but i would prefer a black skin for this... i think it would be more usefull for blackop insertion etc.

btw. is there a possibility for tandem flight´s?

A black version would be very cool. It looks really nice and I can't wait for my new OFP:R CD to come so I can play with these.

And a "cargo seat" would also be very nice.

OK, once again - very impressive addon, I love such small 'well rounded' addons like this (other addons of this kind are this hangglider with engine, someone mentioned above, catshark autogyro, buggy etc smile_o.gif. Anyways, I have some suggestions:

1). Centre of rotation is set in bad place (I didn't checked latest version yet, but I suppose it wasn't changed). It should be placed in ~1/3 of the wing's width - check out below picture:

glider.gif

This point is defined by 'zamerny' point in the memory LOD (at least on choppers) and in plenty of 'air' addons it's defined in the wrong place.

2). Fuel... As you probably know gliders/hanggliders/paragliders are able to fly virtually as long as pilot is able to find thermals and use them gain height.

I think it would be good idea to give glider huge amount of fuel in the day and only tiny amount of fuel in the night time (so pilot can start from hill but he shouldn't be able to fly too long because of lack of useful thermals). I'm not talking about circling in thermals here and stuff because there is no point to add such things to OFP addon, but I think such 'fuel management' script (working in a loop started in the init event handler and checking, the daytime and setting proper amount of fuel in every pass (at day) and disallowing to refuel hangglider (at night) would be a good thing).

really nice!!!  rock.gif  but i would prefer a black skin for this... i think it would be more usefull for blackop insertion etc.

Black skin for black op insertions? IMHO Weak idea... I like realistic games, and hang gliders are not really very usefull at night because of lack of thermals so (AFAIK) they are able to fly only as far their glide ratio allows.

For such actions black ops are using air insertions and gliding parachutes instead.

PS.: Of course there are tandem hang gliders - take a look here http://www.antigravity.co.nz/

Wow, great addon, but I have a question...

How the heck do you land the thing? I mean, I can land it, but each time I do so I get some dammage. So is there any way to land it without taking any dammage? crazy_o.gif

Another strange thing - AI is landing hang glider each time (even if method AI uses to land it is extraordinary ;), but it doesn't leave the vehicle at GET OUT waypoint and it continues to run (which usually results in crash or turning the whole thing upside down - and even then hangglider continues to move).

But once again - I love this addon, one of the sweetests addons released.

How the heck do you land the thing? I mean, I can land it, but each time I do so I get some dammage. So is there any way to land it without taking any dammage? crazy_o.gif

Just fly slow and low..when you are at 50 it will allmost stop and glide down smoothly

I enjoy flying this with NO fuel, not more!!!!

For a laugh i fitted it out with a few AA missiles from a F15, a counter mesure system and nitro and then pited it against a few jets biggrin_o.gif

Just fly slow and low..when you are at 50 it will allmost stop and glide down smoothly

or turn engine off when u apporching ground, the speed will decrease quickly smile_o.gif

ps: anyone knows what is the grenade weapon name on BIS_camel? i want to add grenades on the glider in mission editor biggrin_o.gif

Black skin for black op insertions? IMHO Weak idea... I like realistic games, and hang gliders are not really very usefull at night because of lack of thermals so (AFAIK) they are able to fly only as far their glide ratio allows.

For such actions black ops are using air insertions and gliding parachutes instead.

PS.: Of course there are tandem hang gliders - take a look here http://www.antigravity.co.nz/

Actually the Portuguese special forces use hang gliders. Also some motorized hang gliders have been used as well.

In mountainous regions hang gliders can be used very nicely for moving soldiers quickly from one elevation to a lower elevation for example... well assuming the area they need to move to has a flat place to land. They would likely to be more difficult to pickup on radar then a helicopter so cross-border insertions might be feasible especially in mountainous areas. With a small motor this also might be possible at night.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i looked at your page and yes now i know what you mean when you say realistic... biggrin_o.gif

realistic like the airwolf  rock.gif

btw: thx for your link but i want to know if there is a flashpoint-tandem-version... not the realistic one  wink_o.gif

i looked at your page and yes now i know what you mean when you say realistic... biggrin_o.gif

btw: thx for your link but i want to know if there is a flashpoint-tandem-version... not the realistic one  wink_o.gif

Yep there was/is an tandem but i dont know where to get.... Wait il shearc on OFP.info for you.

Great work!!! It sure is a favorite for best FUN addons.

It made me make a RedBull Glider mission  biggrin_o.gif  

PS: i really love this non army FUN addons...like the VB Glider and that new Downhill Bike from rbeni12 (textures will need some more work anyway, but is cool and fast)

Someone shoud make a RedBull Campaign with Fun Extreme Sports.  wink_o.gif

Keep those cool FUN addons come!!!!!

1). Centre of rotation is set in bad place (I didn't checked latest version yet, but I suppose it wasn't changed). It should be placed in ~1/3 of the wing's width - check out below picture:

glider.gif

This point is defined by 'zamerny' point in the memory LOD (at least on choppers) and in plenty of 'air' addons it's defined in the wrong place.

smile_o.gif

The point zamerny designates a place, whence ведеться readout and where will shoot AI. Only.

In this case a point on a body of the pilot.

You can check up it, having removed this point sideways on some meters. The hang-glider will fly as well as now but AI machine gunners on it will not get (will missed).

And the weight and the centre of gravity is set in LOD Geometry by redistribution of weight between points of Component01, Component02 and so on.

Great addon MOHAX! When the pilot tucks up once the glider is airborne would it be possible to make his legs go into the 'sleeping bag' thing real hangliders use, like this?

4.jpg

BTW, anybody have a link for the tandem glider?

The point zamerny designates a place, whence ведеться readout and where will shoot AI. Only.

In this case a point on a body of the pilot.

Zamerny point defines centre of rotation. At least in helicopter addons (I didn't made any plane addons yet). And I'm pretty sure about it. Weight distribution has nothing to do with the rotation centre visible in game on helicopters (I suppose it has also nothing to do with it on planes). Anyways, the point is that it's still in the wrong place in your addon :-)

OK. To prove how wrong you are about the zamerny point, mass balance and it's influence to rotation centre of plane / chopper I've prepared special hi-tech, advanced plane.

Ladies and Gentlemen - meet project X-1000:

awmcheckplane.jpg

This highly advanced machine comes to you in three flavours:

1). with the rotation centre in the front

2). with the rotation centre in the middle

3). with the rotation centre in the rear

And it's all defined by 1 and only 1 thing... zamerny point in the memory lod. Mass balance is the same in all three planes.

P3D files are unbinarized so you can check this out for yourself.

Download here: awmcheckplane.zip (62kB)

I suppose zamerny point was tought to serve different role indeed (I've read about in some reference or something) but actually it's the thing which defines rotation centre of the plane/chopper.

PS.: I hope now you'll be able to set rotation centre in the right place which will make your addon even better :-)

I suppose you wanted to be witty and ironical, but actually you are all wrong. You think mine Airwolf isn't realistic? Well actually you are mistaken :-) it will be a realistic. Realistic reproduction of the chopper from TV show - that's all (of course there is a question if TV show chopper was realistic, but it doesn't matters here). Did you checked mine Mi-2 or H500 addons? I bet you didn't.

PS.: What's the point in asking if there is a tandem version of the addon? If there will be such version I'm sure we will be informed by author himself...

Chill... your addons are good AirwolfPL...

As far as the center point, that's a moot issue as this hang glider addon I think handles just fine regardless of where the center point is supposed to be. If the addon is unbinarized you could always try adjusting the center point and then let Mohax know if it handles better.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Actually the Portuguese special forces use hang gliders.  Also some motorized hang gliders have been used  as well. (...)

Oh, that's interesting, I didn't knew about it. Anyways, I suppose those gliders are not black in colour (or maybe I'm wrong here again? ;)

PS.: Still Black Ops != Portugeese SF ;)

Thanks Mohax. This is a great addon, shows up your creativeness and determination to pull it off. Glad at least there are still some in the community willing to test where no ofp have gone before. Doesnt matter if your glider has bugs, hell, whose doesnt? Even BIS has them too. Hope this addon will encourage more to be daring and bold to chart new courses for ofp. Good job!

PS:- hang gliders were used to great effect in WWII by the germans. A commando team infiltrated into the high peak mountains of Italy to rescue the Dulce ( Mussolini )- Hitler's puppet ruler in Italy when italians started to revolt against the reich.

or turn engine off when u apporching ground, the speed will decrease quickly smile_o.gif

ps: anyone knows what is  the grenade weapon name on BIS_camel? i want to add grenades on the glider in mission editor  biggrin_o.gif

Yeah thought of that too.

That would be nice...Maybe make a resistence version with camo?

How do you like to fly with an Glider with grenades from ""kg wink_o.gif i think you need bigger wings for it and an Engine or else you will come down with the call sign: Hang glider down leave all stuff behind

well i know it is O/T but, i really want to know,

is there any possibilitys for a keyborad controlable special force gliding parachutes be in OFP???

the chute we usually use is not good cause u cant control it.

also the gliding parachutes addon we see now is still far from my standard of "controlable" sad_o.gif ......................