Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Man killed by teen video gamers

But we need to remember the people playing GTA3 exactly aren't going to be all that smart.

I think thats an unfair generalisation. I play GTA. Does that automatically make me 'not all that smart?' I think it's good fun. But I know it's a game and the events and acts depicted in it should stay there. Still, I can't ignore that there are people out there who can't see that.

I'm sick of people using games as a scapegoat for their own stupidity, and the media lapping it all up. As has been said before in this thread, why did the underaged kids have access to the game? Why did they have access to the weapon? You can't blame the game manufacturers. You can't blame the firearms manufacturers. If you do that, you might as well blame the companys who were foolish enough to put those tractor-trailer rigs on the road where they make perfect targets rock.gif

Games may play a SMALL part, but no moreso than other forms of media. This is the fault of the individuals and/or the parents. I hope they get locked up for a long time.

[/rant]

Someone just made an OFP video of people jumping en-mass off of buildings. Hmmmmm...............................

i wonder who made that..... tounge_o.gif

Guest DKM-jaguar

Sorry havent read most posts yet, so this may be edited if it's already been said.

Surely blaming this on computer games is just another way that they dont have to take so much responsiblity, it's just saying someone else (the game makers) are too blame. Surely being a good gamer is knowing how to diferentiate the game from reality...

But I dont beleive games are to blame, after all, it is the parents' responsibility to help thier children know right from wrong, no matter what TV, Games, Radio says otherwise. This is just another case of bad parenting in my opinion. If you are the kind of person who is that suggestible (assuming the games are too blame) then you are a risk to other peoples' live anyway. Same for peer pressure, something that a lot of children in this country get away with if they blame what they did on peer pressure, but surely if you are willing to do something that bad becuase you think it would be cool then you are as much of a risk as a criminal who does it through choice.

When people can't be arsed to even educate their children and be good parents, they sit them infront of computers and televisions and that's where they get thier education from. Looking at the content on TV now.. it's hardly suprising that they might think this is not as serious as it is.

It is just down to thier upbringing, and computer games and other medias are the scapegoat for parents who wont even admit they are not good at bringing up thier children.

Hmm, now to read the rest of the topic and make sure this wont offend anyone..

And by the way, "I didnt do it on purpose, the game told me to buy a gun, load it, aim it at people and then pull the trigger" doesnt hold up very well in british courts. Poeple over 16 go to prison, a much better and more sutiable punishment.

OK, i read all other posts and i see every point i made was already covered... so just take this like an agreement biggrin_o.gif

Another thing, the Army Cadets taught me how to fire and maintain an assualt rifle and how to hit targets at far distances... that's as real as you can get (under 18 year old wise) without loading live rounds and seeing who lasts the longest, but even in that environment i never thought "now wouldn't it be fun to shoot someone for real!!!"

Infact i want to be in law enforcement...

Some good points have been made by all, and I think Major Fubar pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject, however I would like to add a few things:

This phenomenon of shifting personal responsibility onto other things isn't entirely old. From what I'm told by my conservative elders is that the modern world started to lose it's values and generally head down the shitter sometime in the mid to late 1960's. Crime used to be punished, but nowadays kids can kill, blame a video game, and get minimal time served. In Canada today, you can rape three women and only serve 18 months in prison. What ever happened to locking people up and throwing away the key? Those kids are f*cking stupid, plain and simple and should be made to take responsibility for their actions. Writing a letter of apology won't cut it. Niether will blaming inanimate objects like games or guns.

Parents don't raise their kids today, not like the way they used to. My parents got the strap if they talked back to their parents when they were kids, they even got it at school too. Today if someone does that, they get charged with child abuse. And I don't know how many times I've been told by men who grew up in the 1950's that they were allowed to bring thier .22's to school for use on the shooting team or for show and tell. Try that one today! At least back then kids had a healthy respect for rifles and what kind of damage they can do. With such an easy access to guns, why wasn't there mass school shootings back then? Why? Because there was discipline, and when kids argued they duked it out, because weapons were for sissies. (or so that's what I've been told by many an elder)

Quote[/b] ]i hope the victims file civil lawsuit against those irresponsible parents and teach them a severe lesson

Just another part of the problem. Making the kids parents fork out cash won't do shit. What we need is some good, old fashioned, American style justice.  unclesam.gif

Tyler

As the old sayin goes, Spare the rod, spoil the child.icon4.gif

Quote[/b] ]And I don't know how many times I've been told by men who grew up in the 1950's that they were allowed to bring thier .22's to school for use on the shooting team or for show and tell

Yep, I know my great grandpa told me, way back then, everyone in class always brung a gun to school.Teachers didn't mind.

Now days, bring a capgun to school, and your expelled.

All I can say for those kids is, it is the parents fault, and not the games fault.

Because there was discipline, and when kids argued they duked it out, because weapons were for sissies. (or so that's what I've been told by many an elder)

and what's your job description? tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]i hope the victims file civil lawsuit against those irresponsible parents and teach them a severe lesson

Just another part of the problem. Making the kids parents fork out cash won't do shit. What we need is some good, old fashioned, American style justice. unclesam.gif

by forking out cash, the family of the shooter will face dire consequence of the action. when you realize how shitty your life can be after loosing lawsuits, you will think twice before doing naother act.

A nail clipper gets you expelled. A cap gun should cause the local SWAT team to pounce on the school.

I think the media is a product of society's values - not vice versa.

Those kids' parents should be ashamed.

Hey I've played GTA3 !

My children have too and my 15 year old makes honor roll and such and has nothing to do with intellect.

They also surely see that dad doesnt drive or act like that in real life.My son shows no signs of violence and is basically a computer nerd and hardly ever does wrong things and would only need a explanation of what is wrong, no violence involved

Another blaming the media.I think video games may agitate a already viloent or crazy person, but why blame video games...

Why blame anything for a crazy persons thoughts ? The parents need to teach morals and life values.

Why don't the guns get blamed? A crazy person could play video games all day but would be harmless without a weapon.

Our society was surely just as if not more violent before video games or tv

The headline should actually read like this:

"Man Killed by Teens Who's Parents Never Bothered to Teach Them the Value of Human Life and Basic Moral Values"

...or...

"Man Killed by Teens With Defective Brains Looking to Lay Blame on Something Else - As Per Usual"

...or even...

"Man Killed by Defective Teens - Calls for Human Breeding Licenses Renewed"

...seriously, people have been trying to lay blame on everything else but the real problems forever and a day, if it's not Video games causing kids to kill people, it's roadrunner cartoon making kids drop anvils of bridges or something. You can blame the games or TV or movies or music or whatever else, but most kids know better than to go shooting at people. I'd be very interested in what kind of upbringing these kids had - if I were a gambling man, I'd bet on neglectful parent(s) who let the kids run amok from an early age and never bothered to sufficiently discipline them or teach them core moral values. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a kid who has been "raised right" knows better than to go shooting at people no matter what they see in a game.

Just another example of how society loves the quick fix, or in this case, the quick blame. Much easier to waggle a finger at a video game manufacturer than to question why parents aren't doing their job at raising their children to be respectful of human life.

You win the thread.

Guest DKM-jaguar

A nail clipper gets you expelled. A cap gun should cause the local SWAT team to pounce on the school.

You're right, they do. And with good reason. What if it wasnt a cap gun, and you dont always know.. (there are toys which were readily avaiable and easily converted to fire live rounds)

I think that it is far better to send out an armed police team to intercept a potential threat and find a harmless toy than have to face the consquences of it not being a toy, and no police being called...

Guns will never be eliminated from our streets (that goes for pretty much everywhere) even kids can pick them up with ease in some areas, luckily i have never been to these areas and never feel the need to own a gun, even legally. Kids going out and shooting people isnt a product of games, but how easy it is to buy a firearm....

Quote[/b] ]Kids going out and shooting people isnt a product of games, but how easy it is to buy a firearm....

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

So instead of a game killing another person, it's now the gun's fault? Like I said, blaming inanimate objects gets us nowhere, neither does taking away said objects. Those kids were nuts, plain and simple and they weren't taught respect for life or for firearms at an early age. Besides, they weren't even old enough to buy a firearm, legally anyways. Once again the parents failed when they didn't keep such tools locked away from thier retarded children to begin with.

I grew up with easy access to my dads rifle and was picked on plenty of times, yet I never shot anyone. Why do you think that is?

Quote[/b] ]and what's your job description? tounge_o.gif  

I'd be pretty stupid bringing my fists to a gunfight.  tounge_o.gif

I guess the same would go for bringing a gun to a fistfight......

Tyler

I think it's stupid that people blame computer games for teenagers acting violent. I mean, sure it happens sometimes, but those kids are probably not too right in the head. Wait, what am I saying? They AREN'T right in the head! tounge_o.gif

I've played games like Doom and so forth for YEARS, yet I'm very calm. Almost irritatingly calm at times! biggrin_o.gif

So don't go blaming one of people's past-times as a way of turning nuts and going on a shotgun rampage. I haven't went on a rampage killing spree (at least not to my knowledge..)

[Gareth Gates must die]

Quote[/b] ]You're right, they do. And with good reason. What if it wasnt a cap gun, and you dont always know.. (there are toys which were readily avaiable and easily converted to fire live rounds)

such as??

I think ur a little confused about GTA3, u dont get a "prize" at the end of it,infact most of it is just doing  missions with u against other mobs with the end goal of settling t he score with one of ur doublecrossing partners.

Well than you really havn't got to the end with enough score.

But come one peoplr you can't even began to compare GTA3 to OFP. We need a better rateing system. The point isn't the games it's the system. I don't base entirely what kind of person you are on what you play or do. The point is the system, Now I think most would agree we can't be markting this to or allow children under atleas 15 to play this. Much less 8 years olds. it's time to upgrade the system not the games. They wouldn't make it if thier wasn't a market for it. But reallyis letitng any one under 15 play these types of game's "Smart" nex thing that will happen if we let this go uncheked is the rest of what you can do in GTA3. But it still brings us to the point. #1 Two wrongs don't mkae a right.

#2 Is is really "OK" or "Normal" to steal cars shoot cops and play with hookers?  rock.gif  And as far as graphics go if OFP 2 has any form of disemberment that can't be turened off. (It would be nice if the gore level was the same as OFP 1.) It will not be finding it's way into DS house. Now we can go on and on and point at all the games but the whole thing is about three problems. #1 Children are not taught correct values. #2 Parrents need to crack down or pay up. (More laws will only make this worse.) #3 Who is stuped enough to think they can just go take some rifles walk off and discharge them at a public high way? It's time for the parnts to monitor the games. We arn't judgeing games we are judegeing society.

That make it seem a little more clearer on where I stand?

If you want to Play GTA3 fine it keeps you off the streats and makes you happy. but if you go outside and than start reinacting what you did in the game we have a problem.

It's fine with me if thats how you pass your time BUT when you go breaking the law thats when I think we need to re think just what we play. So the point is we have people who can't tellthe difference between reality and play time.

Not that you go love off some hooker in GTA3.

As long as you keep the sound turned down and you act sane out in public I don't really have a problem with you playing GTA3. Ok?

I think ur a little confused about GTA3, u dont get a "prize" at the end of it,infact most of it is just doing  missions with u against other mobs with the end goal of settling t he score with one of ur doublecrossing partners.

But come one peoplr you can't even began to compare GTA3 to OFP. We need a better rateing system. The point isn't the games it's the system. I don't base entirely what kind of person you are on what you play or do. The point is the system, Now I think most would agree we can't be markting this to or allow children under atleas 15 to play this. Much less 8 years olds. it's time to upgrade the system not the games. They wouldn't make it if thier wasn't a market for it. But reallyis letitng any one under 15 play these types of game's "Smart" nex thing that will happen if we let this go uncheked is the rest of what you can do in GTA3. But it still brings us to the point. #1 Two wrongs don't mkae a right.

#2 Is is really "OK" or "Normal" to steal cars shoot cops and play with hookers?  rock.gif  And as far as graphics go if OFP 2 has any form of disemberment that can't be turened off. (It would be nice if the gore level was the same as OFP 1.) It will not be finding it's way into DS house. Now we can go on and on and point at all the games but the whole thing is about three problems. #1 Children are not taught correct values. #2 Parrents need to crack down or pay up. (More laws will only make this worse.) #3 Who is stuped enough to think they can just go take some rifles walk off and discharge them at a public high way? It's time for the parnts to monitor the games. We arn't judgeing games we are judegeing society.

If you want to Play GTA3 fine it keeps you off the streats and makes you happy. but if you go outside and than start reinacting what you did in the game we have a problem.

It's fine with me if thats how you pass your time BUT when you go breaking the law thats when I think we need to re think just what we play. So the point is we have people who can't tellthe difference between reality and play time.

As long as you keep the sound turned down and you act sane out in public I don't really have a problem with you playing GTA3. Ok?

Is it really OK to mount an armed insurrection against a nominally legitimate government with weapons you looted from their own soldiers?

Quote[/b] ]Is it really OK to mount an armed insurrection against a nominally legitimate government with weapons you looted from their own soldiers?

If that government happens to be nothing but a bunch of red commie bastards, I say: Have at 'em. wink_o.gif

EDIT: Cool, I just deleted my own post, being a Mod rocks! biggrin_o.gif

You ain't no mod, now, boy! wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

On topic:

If they think video games are the cause of violence, then why don't they have games designers put, in big bold lettering: 'WARNING! MAY CAUSE INSANITY!' on the box?

[Gareth Gates must die]

####START of GTA3 spoiler ####

Can u tell me what is the end then??When i got to the last main mission  it involved wasting ur the partner who double crossed  u at the very beginning???

#### END SPOILER ####

Quote[/b] ]

But come one peoplr you can't even began to compare GTA3 to OFP. We need a better rateing system. The point isn't the games it's the system. I don't base entirely what kind of person you are on what you play or do. The point is the system,

What system,the age rating thing ?? Do u want a little sticker on the back like some movies have which details its content?

Now I think most would agree we can't be markting this to or allow children under atleas 15 to play this. Much less 8 years olds. it's time to upgrade the system not the games. They wouldn't make it if thier wasn't a market for it. But reallyis letitng any one under 15 play these types of game's "Smart" nex thing that will happen if we let this go uncheked is the rest of what you can do in GTA3. But it still brings us to the point.

It wasn`t marketed to kids where  ever i saw it

#1 Two wrongs don't mkae a right.

#2 Is is really "OK" or "Normal" to steal cars shoot cops and play with hookers?  rock.gif

And as far as graphics go if OFP 2 has any form of disemberment that can't be turened off. (It would be nice if the gore level was the same as OFP 1.) It will not be finding it's way into DS house. Now we can go on and on and point at all the games but the whole thing is about three problems. #1 Children are not taught correct values. #2 Parrents need to crack down or pay up. (More laws will only make this worse.) #3 Who is stuped enough to think they can just go take some rifles walk off and discharge them at a public high way? It's time for the parnts to monitor the games. We arn't judgeing games we are judegeing society.

I think u`ll find the  game  real life is what makes  go out and  do these sort of thing.

Like i siad before,parents aren`t the sole factor in determining how the kids will turn out ur forgetting like the whole envoiroment in which they grow up although i would support a breeding license blues.gif and why the hell weren`t the guns stored in a proper cabinet.