Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Russian nuclear submarine sinks

Can't find anything on it yet. They just said it on the news though.

K-159, a November Class nuclear submarine sunk in the Barents Sea while being towed. The sub was to be scraped. THere were ten crew membres onboard, two are confirmed dead. The nuclear reactor was shut off prior to it sinking. Very sad news.

George

Oh my, terrible news.

Yet another blemish in the russian navy's history.

Here's hoping to the wellbeing of the survivors and families of the deceased.

It might sound callous, but its better news than I had originally thought.

Initially I thought they might have lost one of their active Typhoons or Deltas which could lead to a major loss of life. (And another political fuckup like the Kursk).

Seems that it was more to do with the weather than incompetence or bad maintenance. The Barents sea has claimed many ships. (Plus towing a submarine on the surface is asking for trouble. Subs are not noted for their surface handling qualities).

I've been watching the Russian and English tv right now and here's all summed up:

1. A decommissioned nuclear sub was towed by a tug and on pantoons for utilization.

2. they hit a storm and the pantoons broke and the sub sank, nuclear reactor was shut down, no armaments.

3. 10 crew were onboard, 2 KIA , 1 rescued, 7 MIA

Quote[/b] ]Plus towing a submarine on the surface is asking for trouble. Subs are not noted for their surface handling qualities

Not quite sure how you'd tow a sub underwater rock.gif , add to that its been decommisioned for over a decade, I'd doubt it's seaworthiness any way.

Lets hope some good news can come out of this mishap, and that the Russian Navy learn from the incident.

Man vs sea. I don't think there's anything they could have done to prevent it. The sub was decomissioned over ten years ago. Much more seaworthy ships have gone under in the Barents sea.

Sad but pretty much as unavoidable as a traffic accident.

Honestly I'm happy that it's not as bad as the Kursk incident, but it's still a tragedy. sad_o.gif

This shows again that the Russian fleet has major problems. It took 14 years to get enough money to take it away and scrap it and now that thing sinks on it's way to the disassembling dock! Sometimes I think the Russian navy is cursed... crazy_o.gif

Man vs sea. I don't think there's anything they could have done to prevent it. The sub was decomissioned over ten years ago. Much more seaworthy ships have gone under in the Barents sea.

Sad but pretty much as unavoidable as a traffic accident.

The news article suggests there was plenty they could have done to avoid it. The weather had been forecast correctly and the people in charge of the operation are being charged due to undergoing the operation aware of the deteriorating weather and also aware of the condition of the vessel.

I still think that if tommorow america invade russia will not be so "CRAP" as we all think they are like a 60 year old man getting rusty but stil quite strong!

I still think that if tommorow america invade russia will not be so "CRAP" as we all think they are like a 60 year old man getting rusty but stil quite strong!

Are you drunk again?

Seems that it was more to do with the weather than incompetence or bad maintenance.

You be the judge.

Pathetic, isn't it?

Brave man who goes to sea on _that_ crazy_o.gif

Seems that it was more to do with the weather than incompetence or bad maintenance.

You be the judge.

Pathetic, isn't it?

Brave man who goes to sea on _that_  crazy_o.gif

They're either stupid or well paid or both. tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gifsad_o.gif

Knowing the state of russias economy i wouldnt go for well paid. smile_o.gif

You be the judge.

Pathetic, isn't it?

Their "Super-Carrier" flagship looks almost the same, it has been docked for years now rusting away. Kinda ironic that the downfall of communism was that they ran out of money.

Anyway, i do hope they find those 7MIA but i doubt they will find them alive.

This was 2 months ago. How in the world can they still be alive, assuming they didn't float over to Tahiti? rock.gif

This was 2 months ago. How in the world can they still be alive, assuming they didn't float over to Tahiti? rock.gif

LMAO i had no idea this was started 2 months ago, boy do i feel dumb crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]LMAO i had no idea this was started 2 months ago, boy do i feel dumb

lol

Um, what exactly are those big barrel-like things beside the sub?  And is that ship in the background, supposed to be like that rock.gif  Aren't ships supposed to be in the water, not on land.

Um, what exactly are those big barrel-like things beside the sub?

Pontoons to keep it from sinking.