Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Place of modern, europe oriented addons

I know this case was brought up several times before while discussing particular addons. However, I think a general discussion about placing European forces on particular side is quite needed.

At the moment we have few very good European forces addon sets released. BWMOD, UK Forces and KMARNS units are placed under west side, while others makers (Frenchpoint, HK Pack Team, Swiss Mod, maker of Swedish forces /sorry don’t remember the team name/) went for the resistance side. So the question rise – which side is better for Europe oriented addons?

My vote: West.

Well, my guess is that, the major advantage of a resistance side is a possibility to cooperate with Russian troops, as most of released European addons focus on post Cold War era. In real life joint operations and exercises are quite common (recent Baltops for instance). However when it comes down to OFP world a huge problem arises – There are NO decent opfor for such scenarios! Frenchmen (Operation Frenchpoint) and Russians (any modern Russian army addon) fighting hand in hand against US troops supported by Germans (BW-MOD) is IMO far beyond any political fiction a good taste.

True enemy this days are irregular guerillas, partisans. The problem is that they usually are placed under resistance side. An enormous mission potential is wasted. And this is the main reason why I’d love to see modern European armies under west side!

On the other hand, what about the fact that Switzerland and Sweden are not in NATO structures?

Well, then what about a UN peacekeeping operation (yes, Switzerland is member of UN since 2002),

as again, irregular, armed resistance is then a natural choice for an opfor.

Eventually, the Russians ( I mean addons, not the people ;) ). Well, either we let them stay under the east side and fight Caucasus partisans on their own, and occasionally engage them in a Ghost Recon style political fiction scenario, or we find the other way.

However, I ran out of ideas (maybe an additional set of units under west in a particular addon), so I just finish. smile_o.gif

a Ghost Recon style political fiction scenario, or we find the other way.

*Jumps up and down in glee hoping someone will make a Ghost Recon or RSR campaign*

Ontopic: I would like Russia to be on west and east so It could be a modern conflict between NATO vs Warsaw Pact countries and have Russia go to war with the US.

My Vote is: Resistance

Wy:

Because Europa is !!!NOT!!! West and does not belongs to WEST neither does it belongs to the EAST part so Europa= Resistance and on OFP2 their own country's wink_o.gif

(...) Europa is !!!NOT!!!  West and does not belongs to WEST neither does it belongs to the EAST part so Europa= Resistance and on OFP2 their own country's  wink_o.gif

I'd concentrate on OFP mission possibilities, rather than RL politics.

Me 2 but i only say the truth so... Europa for Res tounge_o.gif

Because: On the Res side you can choose their enemys so like if you got a Dutch group and you want to start a war with West you just change the Res Friendly to and voila you got war with West... and Vice versa with east wink_o.gif

i think maybe french units should be on east they never win wars anymore biggrin_o.gif j/k

I voted West. What are the odds of any European country starting a war against the U.S!?

wy Europa wants a war with West? I dont know bugt still it's easyer to place them under Res like :

Having a group of "Place Country here" as some Rebles like they dont agree with West/East and then they go on some thing like strike but Hijack Military stuff Etc Etc just like what happend in China or was it Hongkong crazy_o.gif well any way that gives more Realisme right?

I think all NATO countries should go west, russian (and their allies/enemies of the west) and armies that could go either way should go resistance, remember we arent only talking about countries in ofp, there may be two armed forces from the same country, for example the taleban and northern alliance, the northern alliance worked with the US so they would go on Resistance.

Having all europeans on resistance is a very silly idea to me, how on earth would you simulate the balkan conflict?

Try not to misunderstand the 'East' and 'West' as geographical terms in OFP's sides, they are referring to the old Cold War sides, ie Soviet Bloc and NATO.

As i said before, although it work perfectly for all kind of irregular partisans, for a well organized modern European army, the flexibility of Resistance side is very misleading, either way you end up figting US or (which is more common) Russian troops.

The idea of packs coming up with it's own opfor (HK Pack) is IMO good, but only partial soltion.

More than 4 sides smile_o.gif wee wee smile_o.gif ...

France = civils ... (wee wee lazy to fight lol (nothing against these of French who understood sometimes is offence better than wait till i get killed by another dictator! He! You remember Munchen 1938? U were lazy too ...))

maybe u ask why, well because France is in fact not part of military branch of NATO (only blabla politic part).

Rest NATO can be west ...

East, Ukraine, Russia and other non coming to NATO states

Resistance, guerillas in ex-Yugoslavia and uprising terrorism in Europe ...

and see u got scenario for Campaign : "End of Europe Union" smile_o.gif

i'm serious ... europe is not so stable how it looks ...

they never win wars anymore biggrin_o.gif  j/k

*Cracks knuckles mad_o.gif *

tounge_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif LOL so true

I voted for RES because i like to have addons being dynamical.

So i can change the side, depends on the mood i´m in.

ALSO there are so many WEST addons and so les EAST/RES so it has to be filled up/ballanced some how.

and see u got scenario for Campaign : "End of Europe Union" smile_o.gif

i'm serious ... europe is not so stable how it looks ...

Thats for sure.

It will break appart again, and GB started it all.

Damn tee nippers wink_o.gif

ALSO there are so many WEST addons and so les EAST/RES so it has to be filled up/ballanced some how.

I dont think thats true, i have more units in my east/res than in my west, people dont seem to realise that there have been a great deal of east units made and released, i suppose its just easier to jump on the 'west gets all the units' bandwagon.

Just a quick look here:

http://members.cox.net/johnnylump/OFPLinks.html

Will show how many non-West units there truly are.

In near I'd love to use European addons together with very promising FIA mod, however i'll have to come up with my custom config to make it possible. sad_o.gif

people dont seem to realise that there have been a great deal of east units made and released, i suppose its just easier to jump on the 'west gets all the units' bandwagon..

Tsk, The Man has brainwashed him too.shakehead.gif

Everyone KNOWS that there´s an OFP conspiracy against East...IT´S A CONSPIRACY, I TELL YOU!........AND YOU´RE PART OF IT, BAS SLAVE! tounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gif

Everyone KNOWS that there´s an OFP conspiracy against East...IT´S A CONSPIRACY, I TELL YOU!........AND YOU´RE PART OF IT, BAS SLAVE! tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif   wink_o.gif  wink_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Heh, BAS has 3 East/Res armies coming out soon, with units that will total more than our western soldiers...so not quite a conspiracy against east :P

...Lies! I won´t believe it ´till I see it with my own eyes! mad_o.gif

(so can I see them now? Please? Pretty please?)

Are you guys making a People's Army addon ?  biggrin_o.gif

I think we should get real.

Cold War Crisis, Red Hammer and Resistance campaigns are based in a cold war ficticious events. Soviets and their alies against Americans and their alies.

Now days is different, so, aren't the addons created around from different eras of modern history?

The same way you put the German addons from WWII into East and the modern into West or Resistance, we should put modern Russian addons into West, and then get them to fight the reall enemys.

If you create a cold war era addon for the Russians, put it on East.

Problem? You would need to create an UAZ (for example) in East and in West, because they are still in use now, so I don't know anymore... crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

west

coz if some addon maker wants to create terrorists they always seem to put it in resistance

now if u want the european in the resistance side where in hell are u gonna fight terrorists??

personally i like all terror in east so that resistance and west can fight them

but its unfair for the russians hu play ofp

I think we should get real.

Cold War Crisis, Red Hammer and Resistance campaigns are based in a cold war ficticious events. Soviets and their alies against Americans and their alies.

Now days is different, so, aren't the addons created around from different eras of modern history?

The same way you put the German addons from WWII into East and the modern into West or Resistance, we should put modern Russian addons into West, and then get them to fight the reall enemys.

If you create a cold war era addon for the Russians, put it on East.

Problem? You would need to create an UAZ (for example) in East and in West, because they are still in use now, so I don't know anymore... crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

okay i like his reasoining better

I dont think thats true, i have more units in my east/res than in my west, people dont seem to realise that there have been a great deal of east units made and released, i suppose its just easier to jump on the 'west gets all the units' bandwagon.

Just a quick look here:

http://members.cox.net/johnnylump/OFPLinks.html

Will show how many non-West units there truly are.

Well when you look closer, you´ll see that East has more custom tanks then West thats true.

West has more Airborn custom addons, and troopers (NEW ones not reskins, i was always talking about new Modeled soldiers and tanks etc.)

And for RES yeah there are many MANY reskins of all the BIS soldiers and troops for many countries.

But i would like to see MUCH more Western tanks to counter the Eastern tanks.

Does the OFP engine allows a new group?

Civil

Resistance

West

East

and

NATO ??

Is this possible?

MfG Lee