Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Bbc to release every production for download

This simply sounds too good to be true. According to this article they plan to release every single production they've made for public download. Would this include classic productions like Monthy Python, Not a nine o clock news, Bean, Young Ones and I suppose, many excellent documentaries like the WW2 one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3177479.stm

I simply cannot imagine how they plan to solve all the copyright issues and other issues. Would be cool if it was released in mpg or avi format smile_o.gif.

BM

Oooh, their servers have got to require some serious bandwidth!

Great news, though smile_o.gif

Being realistic I cant imagine them releasing stuff like Bean and Python. They probably mean in-house made productions like documentaries, soaps etc.

Hope The Onedin Line is included.

BM

Great! And I'm just about to buy a new HD too biggrin_o.gif. Gonna have a nice Monty Python collection, yessir! smile_o.gif

My guess is that they will release them in some 28kbps realmedia stream, where everything you see is some grey blocks moving around with a bubbling sound in the background.

Yeah, it does sound too good to be true doesn't it? It's almost like an old Dilbert strip I saw once:"I want the Internet on hardcopy"

Sounds good...

"The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"...

"The Tripods"...

great documentations...

Yeah!

biggrin_o.gif

You will only be able to download parts of it from what ive heard. If they were to put full divx version of all their programs they would need a datacenter the size of east kansas for the diskarrays alone (well as a figure of speech). Also the copyrights of some programs arent theirs exclusively so that would be another problem.

I know Mr Bean but Who the hell is Monthy Python?

crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif Don't know Monty Python?!?. rock.gif ...well.....well then..... I sentence you to be hung by the neck until you cheer up!!!

tounge_o.giftounge_o.giftounge_o.gif

wow_o.gif You don´t live under a rock in Greenland, do you? wow_o.gif

You will only be able to download parts of it from what ive heard. If they were to put full divx version of all their programs they would need a datacenter the size of east kansas for the diskarrays alone (well as a figure of speech). Also the copyrights of some programs arent theirs exclusively so that would be another problem.

I suppose you are right (i hinted as much in my 2nd post) but even if it's just the documentaries it would be nice. BBC makes awesome documentaries, especially the war/military related ones.

Since the WW2 DVD box is going for around 150$ i doubt that is included biggrin_o.gif

Personally I rather buy the DVD boxes I want anyway (Fawlty Towers, Black Adder etc) but there are some productions which never got into DVD because they were too old or not marketable enough. I'm hoping for some hidden treasures smile_o.gif

BM

Can't wait to download all the Top Gear videos under my rock in greenland wink_o.gif

Another Beeb related question if someone can help.

Does anyone remember the miniseries Day of the Triffids? I dont mean the cult B-movie but the 3 part series from I believe BBC. Is that available on some format? I thought it was pretty good and much scarier than the cheesy movie.

BM

Monty Python is something completely different.

I want em' Black Adder episodes. smile_o.gif

i know there was a WW1 serie , but was there a WW2 serie in Black Adder ?

I want em' Black Adder episodes. smile_o.gif

i know there was a WW1 serie , but was there a WW2 serie in Black Adder ?

Nope.

There were four series in all, with the first being bloody awful, and the rest utter class.

yeah , cuz if i remember correctly , the WW1 Black Adder dies in an assault

I kind of liked the ending of the last episode of Black Adder...kind of shows the pointlessness and futility of war, especially the senseless WW1 sad_o.gif

These are good news !

Even if they cannot offer Mr.Bean or Monthy Python for DL..BBC has some good Documentations IMO..i watched them almost every saturday morning in TV until they got repeated..

I really hope the vid´s are in good quality.

btw: i still cannot imagine how someone does not know monthy python crazy_o.gif

Go for the next Vid-renting-something (dunno the name and i´m drunk biggrin_o.gif ) and get "Monty Python & the holy grail" !!

It´s bit weird humour but i like it and i laughed my ass off !