Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

Breaking news

Tex, have you noticed that France thinks that about 3000 deaths during the last two weeks in that country can be blamed on heat? The mortality rate has gone up almost 40%, and the majority of those affected are the elderly or people with respiratory disease.

Personally, I like heat, and I tolerate it well. I've run marathons in temperatures in the mid-90s with high humidty, and gone camping in Death Valley in July, when it's about 120 in the shade on a good day. I exercise with a sweatshirt on even in the summer when everyone else wants to be inside in front of the A/C. I don't use the A/C at home at all, and I ride my mountainbike to work.

So yes, a total blackout wouldn't even be an inconvenience for me aside from not being able to use the Internet and playing OFP, but I'm also smart enough to know that not everyone is that lucky.

Tex, have you noticed that France thinks that about 3000 deaths during the last two weeks in that country can be blamed on heat? The mortality rate has gone up almost 40%, and the majority of those affected are the elderly or people with respiratory disease.

Personally, I like heat, and I tolerate it well. I've run marathons in temperatures in the mid-90s with high humidty, and gone camping in Death Valley in July, when it's about 120 in the shade on a good day. I exercise with a sweatshirt on even in the summer when everyone else wants to be inside in front of the A/C. I don't use the A/C at home at all, and I ride my mountainbike to work.

So yes, a total blackout wouldn't even be an inconvenience for me aside from not being able to use the Internet and playing OFP, but I'm also smart enough to know that not everyone is that lucky.

Look, when the power's out for a few hours, it's a minor inconvenience. If it's out for several days or weeks, THEN it's a major problem, because people like invalids and seniors will be passing their physical threshold for heat tolerance. However, if everybody does their job, the power will be back on before tommorrow morning. And that's what I call minor.

ok..i was about to call Crawford Sheriffs dept. to ask if they can do a search for guy named Tex[uSMC] but i hung up as soon as i saw your post.

Tex and Frag, please keep it civil. wink_o.gif

ok..i was about to call Crawford Sheriffs dept. to ask if they can do a search for guy named Tex[uSMC] but i hung up as soon as i saw your post.

Tex and Frag, please keep it civil. wink_o.gif

Not at all, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Frag, and I haven't ever seen him say anything uncivil. I, on the other hand, have a somewhat checkered history  tounge_o.gif , so i'll take my warning and go about my business. And Crawford's halfway across the state from me, which is like 6 Northeastern US states or 2 European countries in non-Texan terms smile_o.gif

@ Aug. 14 2003,17:11)]Look, when the power's out for a few hours, it's a minor inconvenience. If it's out for several days or weeks, THEN it's a major problem, because people like invalids and seniors will be passing their physical threshold for heat tolerance. However, if everybody does their job, the power will be back on before tommorrow morning. And that's what I call minor.

It doesn't take weeks for an apartment to heat up to levels that make it dangerous for those with health problems.

Anyway, the good news with the blackout is that it happened after 4PM local time, so the sun was already setting, and hopefully power will be fully restored by tomorrow. But if that is not the case, tomorrow will be really interesting. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if tonight will be interesting in New York as well, the way it was in 1977. Practically the entire NYPD and FDNY have been called up for this little 'inconvenience'.

blackdog~

Quote[/b] ]I don't know what kind of car you have FSPilot, but most cars I've seen have headlights smile_o.gif

Old%20Car%202.jpg

Dauragon

Quote[/b] ]i've seen in poor hot countries in latino america, they get power loose for more then 3 hours like every day, and these people dont go whining because there fan doesnt work rock.gif

and when i saw it happen in new york i was amazed at the panic it caused wtf

There's a difference between New York City and a 3rd world country.

Tex

Quote[/b] ]That ain't what I said, and it's a blatant misrepresentation of the facts. Folks who can't get around were all ready where they're supposed to be, and hopefully, because they realize how vulnerable they are in situations like this, had the foresight to make sure that they're prepared for a situation like this.

Or maybe they were planning on doing a day-to-day routine like they always do. They don't have geniouses like you to look out for them Tex. Simple fact, people aren't leaders. They need to be told what to do, how to do it, so forth.

Quote[/b] ]Who wouldn't be suffering from heatstroke if they knew how to behave when the electricity isn't on. When did a conservative start feeling such sympathy for people acting stupidly?

They're not acting stupid, they can't help it. The power goes out, its 90 degrees out and they're baking in their apartments.

Quote[/b] ]Good heavens, are we barabarians? In that case, fuck 'em, I have no sympathy for people who can't go 5 hours without power before they revert to savages. I swear, Americans are weak and spoiled! In that case, we ought to have major power outages all over the country on a weekly basis, or until we can start dealing with it like intelligent human beings.

I'd say this is racism, but of course American's aren't a nationality. rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]BATTERY POWERED- Or did you miss that part?

Well, you didn't say it at first.

Dauragon
Quote[/b] ]i've seen in poor hot countries in latino america, they get power loose for more then 3 hours like every day, and these people dont go whining because there fan doesnt work rock.gif

and when i saw it happen in new york i was amazed at the panic it caused wtf

There's a difference between New York City and a 3rd world country.

it wasnt a third world country it has the same technology as new york.

(modern hospitals, police stations, all shops with A/C etc..)

Quote[/b] ]It doesn't take weeks for an apartment to heat up to levels that make it dangerous for those with health problems.

Which is why i wrote this:

Quote[/b] ]Look, when the power's out for a few hours, it's a minor inconvenience. If it's out for several days or weeks, THEN it's a major problem

I call myself callous, but really even I am willing to acknowledge that extended power outages coupled with heat waves pose serious health risks. Really though, why did the power grid get overloaded in the first place? Not from normal usage, I can tell you. More likely too many people decided that having your office be 78 degrees is just too much for any human, and they kicked the thermostats down. Ironic, ne c'est-pas?

What ever it is its getting on my nerves. I was migrating data from a server in NY. It quit ... i was calling the guy ready to curse and swear at him for messing with the server when he has been expressly told not to (he did that before, the idiot) phone didnt answer. So i was sorta throwing a hissyfit till i heard the news. Now i got to go work saturday sad_o.gif THANK YOU CANADA! wink_o.gif Guess southpark was right about them tounge_o.gif

Dauragon

Quote[/b] ]it wasnt a third world country it has the same technology as new york.

So why'd you call it a poor country?

Tex, if you leave your car doors and windows closed in a hot sun, it's going to heat up inside the car to a dangerous level. People have died like this. People who live in big apartments with no or small windows are going to have a hard time keeping their apartments from overheating, especially in old new york city apartments.

Dauragon
Quote[/b] ]it wasnt a third world country it has the same technology as new york.

So why'd you call it a poor country?

Tex, if you leave your car doors and windows closed in a hot sun, it's going to heat up inside the car to a dangerous level.  People have died like this.  People who live in big apartments with no or small windows are going to have a hard time keeping their apartments from overheating, especially in old new york city apartments.

my mistake sry

cars have A/C you know tounge_o.gif

Good point rock.gif

Anyway, the power's coming back on slowly so it'll all be a moot point tommorow hopefully.

and to think ppl were saying it was no big deal when it heated up to 39 degrees celcious over here tounge_o.gif

blackdog~
Quote[/b] ]I don't know what kind of car you have FSPilot, but most cars I've seen have headlights smile_o.gif

Old%20Car%202.jpg

Wow, even though it doesn't have headlights, that red box is very stylish.

biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'd say this is racism, but of course American's aren't a nationality.

Yes, Tex is really racist against Americans... tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'd say this is racism, but of course American's aren't a nationality.

Yes, Tex is really racist against Americans...  tounge_o.gif

ROFL!

ROFL!

I have a lot of self-loathing I'm dealing with wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I swear, Americans are weak and spoiled!

Its scary how voulnerable an advanced society like the US actually is. All this mess related to a lightning strike hitting a powerplant near the Niagra falls.

As for this being a minor inconvinience, I think its a bit more than that. The power was / is out in New York, Detroit, Cleveland, Toronto and Ottowa. Subways stopped dead in the tracks and elevators got stuck in the shafts. Thats a pretty big problem... (to those in the subway and elevator of course). According to Swedish news, several nuclear powerplants also had to be closed, as well as seven major airports. The fact that radio and TV was out didnt really help either, as people had no idea what was happening.

An estimate said that around 10 million people were without power. Now, to me, thats a lot. Since its the entire population of Sweden smile_o.gif

Imagine if this had been a terrorist attack, or the prelude to a war. Easy way to put a large portion of the US out of commission, really, really fast.

Imagine if this had been a terrorist attack, or the prelude to a war. Easy way to put a large portion of the US out of commission, really, really fast.

Shh... we're trying to keep that under wraps. blues.gif (I'm sorry, this guy just looks like a secret agent of some kind to me more than a blues brother)

With the security the way it is at power plants it'd be pretty hard for a terrorist to take them out.  Unless they had a decent blueprint of the thing and a way of attacking it.  Of course taking out one plant probably wouldn't bring down the whole grid.  They'd have to coordinate and yadda yadda yadda, it's easier said than done.  But I do admit that the power system is a target for the US.  Once that goes down and we get traffic jams and airport closures the area would be extremely vulnerable.

edit - according to Fox news there's been "serious looting" in Ottawa. Looking at a short list of the cities that have been hit it's apparent that more than one power grid is effected by this. Which is wierd as, IIRC, the grids aren't connected.

Hmm, the power's still not back? Hope they get it back soon or there will be problems. Backup generators and UPS' only work for a limited time. When they fail then you're in trouble.

Is there any news on the progress? Is it still a total blackout in the entire area?