Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

Breaking news

Hmm, tough spot:

vert.coaster.ap.jpg

CNN reports no progress in New York and that Detroit could be without power until Sunday wow_o.gif

AFAIK, some suburbs are getting electricity.

and not all buildings are powerless.

top.main.nyc.night.ap.jpg

CNN article

Quote[/b] ]Canadian officials say fire at a power plant in Niagara Falls, New York, is suspected cause

Detroit may be without power until Sunday

Quote[/b] ]As of 2 a.m. Friday, New York authorities report no progress in restoring power
Quote[/b] ]As of midnight EDT, more than a third of the 61,800 megawatts lost had been restored, the North American Electric Reliability Council said.
Quote[/b] ]As of 1:30 a.m., Dana Conover said, 100,000 customers were without power statewide, but mainly in an area concentrated in the southwestern corner of the state, bordering New York. At the peak of the outage, the number was about 300,000.

Bunch of hippies.

Quote[/b] ]As people waited for power to return, he said, "Our advice to people is to go home, open windows, drink a lot of liquids."

Many did not follow his advice. Along the West Side from Lower Manhattan to Hell's Kitchen, a festive atmosphere prevailed as hundreds of New Yorkers sat on piers along the Hudson River in balmy 85-degree weather.

Some played guitars and sang, some barbecued and children played as a few attempted to sleep in tents or out in the open. Many listened to portable radios blaring news of the blackout.

conclusion: Blame Canada!  Blame Canada!  Blame Canada! unclesam.gif  wink_o.gif

Hmm, tough spot:

vert.coaster.ap.jpg

Hey, we used to have to walk/climb out to the riders when the ride failed and talk sense to them.  They got to sit down while we had to stand and battle the wind, bees (you'd be surprised), and have a battle of wits with all the wanna-be lawyers who barely fit in the ride in the first place. Gah, I get bad memories when I think of theme parks and roller coasters. wow_o.gif But if you ever end up working at six flags, work at the log flume ride. The job is sitting and monitoring a machine in case the other machine breaks. It's easy money biggrin_o.gif

According to the mayor (and he's an expert in electricity and the US power grid system, right? biggrin_o.gif) New York will be back online in the morning.  It's probably just what some yes-man is telling him, but I'm sure they're mostly focusing on getting NYC back online. Canada's blaming the US, the US is blaming Canada. A spokesman for the NYC Transit Authority said they'll have the subways back online in 6 hours (said this at 0722 zulu). That's all well and good, but it's not like there are places to go without power to the rest of the city.

Breaking News: Dateline, Midland, Tx.

A eery sense of calm pervades this quiet West Texas community- it would be easy to assume that nothing is wrong, except for all the water on the ground. That's right, last night... it rained in Midland. At first, the town was thrown into utter chaos; traffic jams were caused by people trying to get home to be with their loved ones, loved ones were contributing by taking the family's second car and trying to get to their breadwinner's work place, also many people without either employment or loved ones got into their cars as well in a vicarious attempt to quote "feel the love, or at least get a paycheck". A Midland traffic official described it as the worst thing he'd seen since "he took a vacation to LA". As the traffic jams continued to grow larger, a new horror confronted the desperate Midlanders: old people wandering the streets. "Noone really knows why they're there, but they are, nonetheless", a Midland Old People Control official stated. "As soon as the- the rain hit, they just started wandering around, ignoring their needlework and porch swings. It's horrible".

Midland International Airport has also suspended normal service, citing a policy that says "Noone acting in a crazy or irrational manner is allowed on multi-engined flights". No word yet on whether the ACLU plans to sue on behalf of crazy and/or irrational people.

Fortunately, terrorism is not suspected, although at an earlier stage in the crisis, all possibilities were... possible... to investigators. The local Federal office issued the following warning: "If you see any suspicious Arab people running around, acting like they just dumped a significant amount of precipitation on a particular area, let us know". However, the Feds quickly withdrew this advisory after a flood of incoming tips led to the apprehesion of nearly every Indian doctor in the city (an interesting sidenote is that nearly 50 MDs named Patel were detained- authorities are still not willing to speculate on what this could mean). "It seems that the rain has left us all shaken, and more than a little suspicious of anyone who isn't whi- I mean, isn't familiar. Yeah, that's it", said one anonymous Midlander.

As life continues its long march back to normalcy, only one thing is clear: our nation is now growing more and more vulnerable to precipitation-based attacks, and it is only a matter of time before terrorists use this naturally occurring weapon of mass destruction against us. God help us all.

There wasn't really much wrong with Canada when it happened. Listening to CBC, there wasn't any reports of looting from Ottawa(though, I was caught up in my book. So I'm not sure if there was. Newspaper didn't say) and people just took care of themselves. Some civilians directed traffic(which is quite interesting) and others just hung out in the shade. Hell, it wasn't even that hot out.

Sure, there were the neighbors complaining all the time(Government should have done this, government should have prepared for that, the US is at fault, Canada is at fault, bitch-moan-wash rinse and repeat). Up here, it seemed that people made the best of the situation. Got to meet a few people myself(though, I was mostly involved in my Band of Brothers book). We were without radio for awhile, though. Only my large CD player had back up battery's, but we did not have any. So we had to improvise by using a big block battery.

In other words, I think we should do it again. Just leave enough power for the fridges, though. I think North America should have another, nice, quiet trip. The night was the best ever. The sky was as clear as glass. I was able to see Mars, which I'm sure some people missed.

I wouldn't mind having the nice quiet of the city again. Sure, there was no air conditioning, but my family coped quite easily.

1st hand view:

I live in the Niagara Falls area. The reason all the lights went out was not the fault of "Lightning" which really is a very ...... since there was NO LIGHTNING where I live. rock.gif

Tex, this is for you:

Quote[/b] ]A Blackout? What's The Big Deal?

People In Countries Used To Blackouts Wonder What The Fuss Is About

Aug 15, 2003 4:53 am US/Pacific

MANILA, Philippines (AP)

A blackout? What's the big deal?

That was the reaction from the Philippines to India as people in developing countries wondered how something so common to them could bring a huge swath of the world's superpower to a grinding halt.

``Look at their response there in New York,'' popular radio commentator Joe Taruc wondered aloud in his Friday morning talk show in Manila. ``If it happened here, it would be nothing out of the ordinary.''

Hot weather, storms, rebel attacks, even giant schools of jellyfish have been known to send power grids crashing like dominoes in countries already struggling to keep up with rising electricity demand. But such periodic power outages have led people to find ways to cope.

``Blackouts are a part of our daily life. I can't understand why there is such panic in America,'' said Unal Karatas, 44, a pretzel vendor in Ankara, Turkey.

Virtually every public building of any size in the Philippines has a back-up generator, and companies often have battery-powered units that can keep their computers going when the electricity is out.

So as soon as Manila goes black, the lights start flickering back on. Shopping malls may be forced to cut back air conditioning, but the frappucino blenders at Starbucks keep whirring.

In the shantytown slums, residents bring out lanterns and candles. Traffic which often ignores red lights anyway when police aren't in sight continues its honking, cluttered pace with the lights out completely.

One of the strangest outages was in December 1999, when more than half of the Philippines' power supply was knocked out after an estimated 50 tons of jellyfish suddenly swam into a generating plant's cooling system.

Blackouts also are a way of life in India, occurring several times a day over most of the country, particularly in the summer, when electricity demands are high for water pumps and fans.

When the power is out for a few hours, people just wait it out, going out to sleep on the roof at night, or trying to find shade during the day. When it's out for several days in poor areas, people sometimes burn tires and blockade streets to call attention to their plight.

After toppled transmission towers caused a huge blackout in 1999, Taiwan moved to reinforce power supplies islandwide. It took other precautions following the Sept. 11 terror attacks, including equipping key government offices with generators.

FUCK.....just the timing of this sucked....second to last day of classes and two days before a final. I know a lot of people who are freaking out because they still haven't demoed/submitted their last assignments.

Now when it happened, I admit I was kind of happy. I figured it would only be for a couple of hours, but in the "worst case scenario", I figured it was a good excuse not to study last night and instead spend some time with my girlfriend. I was actually quite amused by all the fuss over it, calling it "the worst in 40 years" and all, I mean, in Cuba this sort of thing is almost routine, and this was a helluva lot better than the Ice Storm we had some years ago. What's more, if you really needed power, all you had to do in Ottawa was to drive over to Gatineau. They were also saying cellphones were'nt working, but I had no trouble calling anyone.

Well, I spent the night out, and my neighborhood happened to get power 5 minutes after I came back home around 2:30am. I figured, "Get some sleep, go to college tomorrow, and spend the day studying for the Final on Saturday",. I take the bus to school, get there at 9am, and notice that the stop light between the bus station and the college isn't working...."oh shit"....I walk up, sure enough, people are scattered all around the campus, but all the doors are locked, light are off. The mall that's a 5 minute walk away is fully functional, it's like a little island of darkness around the campus. No one has a clue as to what's happening with the Finals.

Suddenly I spot my Program Coordinator. Surely the man know's what's what and has a plan. Nope, he's as confused as I am and pissed off that he's driven for over an hour and can't get into his office. He can't believe the closure wasn't anounced on the radio or that he wasn't called. And he can't tell me what's happening with my exam tomorrow, but that I should expect to write it on time. I then try and call some people on my cell....no can do. I get a signal, but I can't dial my parent's house, my girlfriend's cell, or my sister's or my stepdad's. I can't even dial into my voicemail. Strangely enough I get an incoming call - wrong number asking for Tom rock.gif

So here's where I stand - no one seems to know why the college has no power and when it'll be restored, no one knows if exams are going to be on schedule (and if they aren't, the whole camping trip I was planning is probably kaput). I'm virtually incommunicado for some strange reason (my cell was working just fine last night). The one thing I'm happy about is that I'm not one of the poor bastards who still have outstanding assignments to hand in.

Now you know why the poor buggers in Iraq are so pissed off. They haven't had power for months! NYC has gone nuts in a couple of hours!

NYC has gone nuts in a couple of hours!

They are not acting as crazy as it looks. Yes there is alot of cars but that is because they told everyone to go home.

So do we have a death toll yet? Any abandoned cars on the highway with the corpses of their owners within, their worn down fingernails a solemn testament to their final attempt to scratch through the glass and feel the fresh, cool air one last time?

So far 1 fatality.

Hmm, that's actually less people than die in that general area on a normal day.

Lol, Tex why this denial that it's a serious interruption. Were you dropped as a baby during a power outage? biggrin_o.gif

No, but there are some interesting positive effects of a power failure. A couple of years ago when they were setting up fiber optics to my building they managed to cut off the power cable twice. Both times power was down for a few hours. So what happened?

First annoyed and curious people exited their appartments and started talking in the hallway. After a little talk we all went to the kitchen in one appartment. We played cards and drank wine in the candle light. It was a very nice social gathering and we all enjoyed it. It was almost disappointing when the power return and everybody went back home to their TVs and computers.

I think that there should be a mandadory power outage once a month! smile_o.gif

Lol, Tex why this denial that it's a serious interruption. Were you dropped as a baby during a power outage? biggrin_o.gif

No, but there are some interesting positive effects of a power failure. A couple of years ago when they were setting up fiber optics to my building they managed to cut off the power cable twice. Both times power was down for a few hours. So what happened?

First annoyed and curious people exited their appartments and started talking in the hallway. After a little talk we all went to the kitchen in one appartment. We played cards and drank wine in the candle light. It was a very nice social gathering and we all enjoyed it. It was almost disappointing when the power return and everybody went back home to their TVs and computers.

I think that there should be a mandadory power outage once a month! smile_o.gif

Well, all you need is a pair of bolt cutters and giant insulating gloves and you can endulge yourself whenever you like!

Well, all you need is a pair of bolt cutters and giant insulating gloves and you can endulge yourself whenever you like!

LOL. I'll try that some time. I'm sure my neigbours will love me biggrin_o.gif

i kno tex man this affects many peoples live like lets say this was terror and the back up generators didnt kivck on then people in critical units in hospitals they might be in and even more critical state oh no wait scratch......... that they might die man why do u have to be such an idiot i hope this never happens to u then u would have computer withdrawl then u will curl up and cry like a little school girl no wait scratch that u might die ghostface.gif

sorry i sound so rude i had to go thru this i live in detroit so i had to suffer with heat and barely ne water cuz the pumps shut down so there was ecoli in the water they presumed and people were going every where to get water so we had like 10 bottles of water between 4 people and we couldnt open the windows cuz it was even hotter out side

Just after it all started, CNN interviewed a spokesperson for the airport in Ottawa, Canada:

"Our emergency generators started as soon as the power went oowt.  So, flights have continued to come in and oowt despite the oowtage."

Even as a Canadian, I winced 3 times while listening to that.  biggrin_o.gif

and this was a helluva lot better than the Ice Storm we had some years ago.

Yea, we have bad icestorms almost every year, a few years ago we didnt have power at my house for a week!

I'm used to power outages myself, just not to the power being out for more than a few hours at a time.  The last time we had an outage my mother and I went to go see a movie.  Worked out pretty well, yet another positive influence from a power outage.

oowtage.  hehehe

ooh, just rembered this. my flight instructor used to train me on "no-battery" landings. he would fake an alternator failure so I couldn't use any of the lights or the radios, so we couldn't turn on the radio controlled runway lighting either wow_o.gif he had me coming into the dark blob where I thought the runway would be, pretty scary stuff.

i kno tex man this affects many peoples live like lets say this was terror and the back up generators didnt kivck on then people in critical units in hospitals they might be in and even more critical state oh no wait scratch......... that they might die man

Yeah, but it WASN'T, and they ARE, so no, it's not a big deal. You guys are mistaking 'convenience' for 'necessity'. Sure a blackout makes life harder on you, but I'd hardly call it an earthshaking problem.

Quote[/b] ]why do u have to be such an idiot i hope this never happens to u then u would have computer withdrawl then u will curl up and cry like a little school girl no wait scratch that u might die ghostface.gif

Let me introduce you to someone who can be your new best friend.

Quote[/b] ]sorry i sound so rude i had to go thru this i live in detroit so i had to suffer with heat and barely ne water cuz the pumps shut down so there was ecoli in the water they presumed and people were going every where to get water so we had like 10 bottles of water between 4 people and we couldnt open the windows cuz it was even hotter out side

Don't worry, I'm only offended when someone who can actually string together comprehensible sentences calls me an idiot. And as far as your personal experiences with power outages go, I'm going to have to go with a big fat "Nobody cares". You think I haven't dealt with blackouts before? Anyhow, come on down to Texas to see what real heat is like, and then we can talk. Christ, people are awful sensivitive about their creature comforts, huh?

Denoir, I started off with a simple jibe at the folks who cry "terrorism!" at the drop of a hat, and it has devolved.

yeah sorry i was really tired and stuff so i take all that stuff back becuz when i wrote that i had gotten 4 hours sleep in a 90 degree room so hopefully no offence taken smile_o.gif

umm i lived in florida texas and arizone for 2 years each so i think i kno what its like i had gravel for grass in arizona

One more for Tex:

Quote[/b] ]Iraqis' top 10 tips for enduring blackout in the heat

And they should know

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) --Iraqis who have suffered for months with little electricity gloated Friday over a blackout in the northeastern United States and southern Canada and offered some tips to help Americans beat the heat.

From frequent showers to rooftop slumber parties, Iraqis have developed advanced techniques to adapt to life without electricity.

Daily highs have soared above 120 degrees Fahrenheit recently as Iraq's U.S. administrators have been unable to get power back to prewar levels. Some said it was poetic justice that some Americans should suffer the same fate, if only briefly.

"Let them taste what we have tasted," said Ali Abdul Hussein, selling "Keep Cold" brand ice chests on a sidewalk. "Let them sit outside drinking tea and smoking cigarettes waiting for the power to come back, just like the Iraqis."

Here is a top 10 list -- starting at No. 10 and ending at the No. 1 suggestion, compiled from comments on the streets of Baghdad:

10. Sleep on the roof

Without power -- and hence without air conditioning -- Iraqis have taken to climbing up stairs in the hot nights. Some install metal bed frames on rooftops, while others simply stretch out on thin mattresses. "We sleep on the roof," said Hadia Zeydan Khalaf, 38, wearing a black head-to-toe abaya in the hot sun. "It's cooler there."

9. Sit in the shade

Many Iraqis go outside when the power's off. "We sit in the shade," said George Ruweid, 27, playing cards with friends on the sidewalk. Of the U.S. blackout, he said: "I hope it lasts for 20 years. Let them feel our suffering."

8. Head for the water

"We go to the river, just like in the old days," said Saleh Moayet, 53. Several people said they had seen American beaches on television, and suggested they might be a good place to sit out the blackout. "They have so many beautiful beaches," said Hamid Khelil, 44. "They should go where it isn't so hot."

7. Shower frequently

"I take showers all day," said Raed Ali, 33. "Before I go up to the roof to sleep, I take a shower and I'm cooler."

6. Buy blocks of ice

When refrigerators shut down, there's no better way to keep food cool. Mohammed Abdul Zahara, 24, sells about 20 a day from a roadside table. "When it's hot people buy a lot of ice," he said.

5. Check for bitter-enders

"They should go to the power stations and see what the problem is," suggested Ahmed Abdul Hussein, 21. "Maybe there are followers of Saddam Hussein who are sabotaging their power stations. That's what happens here."

4. Get a generator

Abbas Abdul al-Amir, 53, has one of a long row of shops selling generators in Baghdad's Karadah shopping street. When the power goes out, sales go up. "I sell about 30 generators a day," he said. "When the shutdown lasts I can sell even more."

3. Call in the Iraqis

Some suggested the Americans ask the Iraqis how to get the power going again. "Let them take experts from Iraq," said Alaa Hussein, 32, waiting in a long line for gas because there was no electricity for the pumps. "Our experts have a lot of experience in these matters."

2. Use foul language

"When the power goes out, I curse everybody," said Emad Helawi, a 63-year-old accountant. "I curse God. I curse Saddam Hussein. And I curse the Americans."

And No. 1: Take to the streets

The most frequent suggestion among Iraqis for Americans suffering without power was protest. Some said demonstrations can be effective in persuading authorities to turn on the switch.

"We held protests. After that we had fewer blackouts," Ahmed Abdul Hussein said without even a hint of sarcasm. "I'd suggest Americans go out and demonstrate."

Ohh MAN!

If I was in New York during that black out, I would be looting every single store!

INFINITE OFP COPIES! tounge_o.gif